Saints/Rams game and footbal simulations....

QuarterToThree Message Boards: Free for all: Saints/Rams game and footbal simulations....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Bubba Cheese on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 09:36 am:

All right, given how the Saints have turned their team around this year, and how the defending Super Bowl Champion Rams will probably NOT make the playoffs, I am convinced that the NFL is a computer simulation. I think the technology they are using is slowly being trickled out in games, such as Madden and NCAA football. All of the real people who actually buy tickets are drugged into a hallucinogenic state, and then their brains are programmed with the results of the game.

Meanwhile, a group of 5 year olds are sitting in front of the computer, randomly hitting buttons to determine who will win.

It's a consipiracy I tell ya!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Mark Asher on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 10:12 am:

It is really weird. The NFC West will have it's 4th new champion this season -- 49ers, then Falcons, then Rams, and now Saints.

Hey at least it's better than baseball where the Yankees and Braves win every year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Supertanker on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 10:46 am:

Collective bargaining and a salary cap probably contribute heavily to parity in the league. Baseball needs such things, because if you are going to pay players $250 million, you need better TV ratings than the NY World Series provided - the lowest in history. Here in LA, I only knew a couple of die hards that watched the series. I didn't watch any at all. I will still watch the Superbowl, though, even though we have no team.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Mark Asher on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 10:58 am:

Yeah, I skipped the World Series too. Two New York teams? Bah. Baseball needs a cap too, but the players will fight against it. $250 million for A-Rod? Amazing.

When are you guys going to get a team? I can't believe LA's been without one this long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Supertanker on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 12:06 pm:

The latest I hear is "not anytime soon." The people don't really give a damn, so there is not a lot of public pressure and support. Lots of people like having no TV blackouts (which were always the case with the Raiders). You never see it mentioned outside the sports pages anymore, and even there it isn't too often. There is no support for public financing of a stadium, so the cities are waiting for the League to make an offer. Meanwhile, the majority of the team owners think that the people of LA will eventually become desperate like St. Louis & Cleveland, and provide them with a publicly-financed stadium. They shouldn't hold their breath. I think it will only get worse for NFL support, not better. Kids don't have games to go to anymore, and so don't really care. LA has a growing immigrant population that would rather watch soccer. It won't be long before an entire generation in LA is football free.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Mark Asher on Friday, December 22, 2000 - 12:50 pm:

I don't have tickets, so it's not like I see the Rams play in person. It's nice to have a local team to root for, but I can understand why football fans in LA like getting to watch extra games on TV because there are no blackouts.

Thing about St. Louis is, we had a whole effort underway to get an expansion team, and when Taglibue stiffed us, we just shifted our efforts to get an existing team. Same thing happened in Baltimore. The NFL made a mistake in allowing teams to start to move (Cardinals, Colts, etc.), and now they have to live with it. Greedy owners and desperate cities make for a bad combination.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Brad on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 01:27 am:

It's not bad if you own a team, you get to make out like a bandit!

I hear you about the tickets, though. All sports prices are getting so ridiculous that I only go to events when someone comps the tickets. I see about three Dodger games a year, whenever I or a couple of buddies can score our respective companies' tickets. I still spend $30 on Dodger Dogs, Krispy Kremes, and beer. Outrageous prices mean I haven't been to an event at Staples Center, and my office is only about six blocks away.

I would complain about the idea of PSLs, but I had a lunch this week at the Rose Bowl & the manager told us that it was built in 1922 with PSL money. Nothing new under the sun, and all that.

My geekiness keeps my attendance low, too. Most of the reason I skip attending sporting events is because if I spend $50 on entertainment, it will probably be a computer game!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Supertanker on Saturday, December 23, 2000 - 02:14 am:

Hmm, I see that the Username field wouldn't take my entry as, "Brad 'Supertanker' Wohlenberg" Guess I won't do that again.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"