Thread: UFO2 Extraterrestrials: Battle for Mercury

Hustle

UFO2 Extraterrestrials: Battle for Mercury

This is a sequel to UFO: Extraterrestrials, an X-COM clone from 2007 or so. It has been under development for a while and I only became aware of its existence because I suddenly began receiving progress updates (I must have subscribed to the forums back then?)

http://www.ufo2extraterrestrials.com/

The original game was pretty lackluster upon release, with horrid graphics; then the modding community got to work. One modder in particular started adding a lot of content and options to what became known as "Bman's mod". It was a game changer. He modded in new alien AI, including a global strategy layer for the geomap, new battleground items, soldiers, armor, etc. You could even play with the original X-COM aliens if you had the game installed. His version became so popular that Chaos Concepts incorporated many of the changes into the Gold version, which is now part of a new Bundlestars bundle.

After the disappointment that was for me the AAA Firaxis remake and its corridor-strategy philosophy, and the long wait for Xenonauts, I'm keeping an eye on this one as it's supposed to be released this year. The website is strangely sparse though.

Broad Band
    I am waiting for this for many years already. They could release now suddenly, in 5 years, or never, for all I know. I really liked the modded version of the first game. Which means I am planning to play this one year after it will be released.

I should have planned the same for X Rebirth, but oh well.

Social Worker
    Weren't there like 3-4 games in this series already?

I played a couple of them, and they weren't bad. One was clearly built with the mandate of cloning the original X-com, but with slight differences, better graphics, and slightly better UI decisions. The other I played allowed itself more leeway, as it was pausable real-time (think Freedom Force) and had a bit more freshness to the design.

Have you seen Mercury? They can have Mercury.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by slantz View Post
    Weren't there like 3-4 games in this series already?

I played a couple of them, and they weren't bad. One was clearly built with the mandate of cloning the original X-com, but with slight differences, better graphics, and slightly better UI decisions. The other I played allowed itself more leeway, as it was pausable real-time (think Freedom Force) and had a bit more freshness to the design.
    You mean UFO Aftermath, Aftershock and Afterlight? Thats by a diff company.

Hustle
    So apparently this has been pushed to Q2 2014.

There have a few new screenshots up and they've launched a new forum. The info on the website is still quite sparse, though.

Keeper of the Frop Bog How To Go
    Some of those textures and colors in the official screenshots are just hideous. Reminds me of 1970's fabric curtains & 70's wallpaper.

Quote Originally Posted by jpinard View Post
    Some of those textures and colors in the official screenshots are just hideous. Reminds me of 1970's fabric curtains & 70's wallpaper.
    They've gone for Realism BrownTM.

Social Worker
    I'd be surprised if this was released before 2015 ... and a year later than that would not surprise me at all, considering their history with the first UFO:ET.

While technically playable, especially when modded heavily, UFO:ET was nothing to write home about and had many fundamental flaws on a variety of levels - now that we both have a faithful remake of X-Com for the purists and Firaxis' XCOM for those clamouring for modernized gameplay, I have a hard time seeing a proper niche for another UFO:ET, unless they'd manage to improve their track record drastically.
    Maybe they will do just that, who knows, but I for one won't hold my breath.
    _____
    rezaf

Quote Originally Posted by rezaf View Post
    I'd be surprised if this was released before 2015 ... and a year later than that would not surprise me at all, considering their history with the first UFO:ET.

While technically playable, especially when modded heavily, UFO:ET was nothing to write home about and had many fundamental flaws on a variety of levels - now that we both have a faithful remake of X-Com for the purists and Firaxis' XCOM for those clamouring for modernized gameplay, I have a hard time seeing a proper niche for another UFO:ET, unless they'd manage to improve their track record drastically.
    Maybe they will do just that, who knows, but I for one won't hold my breath.
    _____
    rezaf

They should reskin it so that the player is the aliens and the enemies are different earth armies.

ps: By "now that we both have a faithful remake of X-Com for the purists " do you mean Xenonauts? As that's suffering the fate you predict here, i.e. taking literally forever.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Pod View Post
    ps: By "now that we both have a faithful remake of X-Com for the purists " do you mean Xenonauts? As that's suffering the fate you predict here, i.e. taking literally forever.
    No, I was referring to OpenXCOM.
    _____
    rezaf

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by rezaf View Post
    No, I was referring to OpenXCOM.
    What is the state of OpenXCom? I followed the link, but I'm unclear what "0.9" means really. The blog posts imply it's feature complete, but still has bugs. I'm guessing they didn't address the line-of-sight issue with Psionics.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad View Post
    What is the state of OpenXCom? I followed the link, but I'm unclear what "0.9" means really. The blog posts imply it's feature complete, but still has bugs. I'm guessing they didn't address the line-of-sight issue with Psionics.
    I played a full game when 0.9 was just out and the only serious issue I noticed was that difficulty didn't properly escalate.
    This mostly meant the weaker alien types weren't properly phased out and I had to deal with a great number of Sectoids and Floaters right up to the end. The game dragged on for too long and I basically researched everything before going to Cydonia.
    I take it this issue was fixed shortly after I played.
    Other than that, the bugs must've been mostly esotheric, as I didn't run into many of them.

It was great and re-assured me X-Com indeed was every bit as good as I had remembered it to be and a far superior game (in my opinion) to the new XCOM.

Hopefully 1.0 should not be too far out now, but then again, they're at 0.9 for what feels like an eternity now and the most enterprising modder has become a member of the core team and since ceased to do much modding, so it's all very, VERY quiet.

TL:DR: VERY minor bugs notwithstanding, you can safely play 0.9 and have a great deal of fun.
    _____
    rezaf

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Pod View Post
    They should reskin it so that the player is the aliens and the enemies are different earth armies.

Xenonauts is pretty much feature complete right now (I can't recall if the final mission was ever finished), they seem to be doing some final balancing changes.