Thread: Marvel Puzzle Quest

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by Misguided View Post
    The people that are ahead aren't getting further ahead. You will catch up in time.
    I do agree with that, but I think you are underestimating the amount of time and effort it will take. Your experience of the difficulty of obtaining good covers is very different from my experience, because you've rarely found yourself in a bracket where most of the other players have much better teams, because you have one of the best teams in the gamespace. I anticipate that my experience of the difficulty is again different from a new starter, because the vast majority of teams in the game are much much stronger than them - there is a greater proportion of "established players" to new starters than when I first started.

Of course if the steam release is a success things may get easier for a few weeks, none of this is absolute.

Social Worker
    And quite a few of us are no longer competing for those rewards, because we no longer need them. It is more difficult to get started now, for a number of reasons. But the point I'm trying to make is that there is no need to spend a bunch of money to try and close the gap as quickly as possible. The people that are ahead aren't getting further ahead. You will catch up in time.

Let me give an example. When the game first started, characters had a max of 50/60 power levels instead of 13/15. When the conversion was made, they announced how it would work. 1-5 translated to 1, 6-10 to 2 and so on. I bought some iso to nudge some characters past their thresholds so I would get the next higher value. It seemed significant at the time, and it probably pushed me a bit higher on the power curve, but in the long run, it was completely meaningless. I have sold so many covers for 1*, 2* and even some 3* characters that it is silly.

So, you could spend money to try and catch up faster, but in the long run, it won't make a huge difference, in my opinion. The one exception to that is if you get a red Ragnarok cover and want to put some hero points into him, he can do so much in terms of helping obtain other covers, that the value is significant.
    It is virtually impossible to get enough HP for enough hero slots without spending money.

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by Destarius View Post
    It is virtually impossible to get enough HP for enough hero slots without spending money.
    Yeah, but you don't have to spend a lot. They are entitled to make some money :)

Goodluck!!
    Yeah I broke down and ponied up $5.00 to unlock 3 more slots. I had gotten some cool looking covers I couldn't use and that countdown timer was getting to me. The final straw was when I had a 3rd Juggernaut cover and 2 were down to the last few hours. I was happy doing it too, I could have kept playing for free I just would have had to cut some guys and my hoarder nature couldn't take that.

Mad Chester
    Argh, missed the last hood. Stupid sleep.

Social Worker
    Destarius, make sure you go through the prologue and grab all the HP rewards in there. There are quite a few. If you run low on cover space, you might consider not redeeming non-event (regular old standard and heroic) tokens until you are prepared to buy more space.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceris View Post
    Your experience of the difficulty of obtaining good covers is very different from my experience, because you've rarely found yourself in a bracket where most of the other players have much better teams, because you have one of the best teams in the gamespace. I anticipate that my experience of the difficulty is again different from a new starter, because the vast majority of teams in the game are much much stronger than them - there is a greater proportion of "established players" to new starters than when I first started.
    Of course I have.

Look, here's what you do:

1) When lightning rounds start next week, pick a mid-day Magneto or Ragnarok round.
    2) start early in the round and run your score up to 250 (or as high as you can if you can't get that far)
    3) switch to your crappiest, lowest level characters and fight an opponent, then retreat from the battle, then yield.

If all goes well, you will be attacked a bazillion times, then you will discover you have entered a magical realm where everyone has crappy awful teams. Repeat as necessary.

Social Worker
    New community event up. Top 1500 players win all three covers for the Hulk. 1501-5000 get two and 5001-10000 get one.

Target is 50,000,000 cumulative points.

Battle Dancer How To Go Wholly Schmidt's Avatar
    Is it a free-for-all across the entire player base instead of bracketed? Is that why the reward thresholds are so much larger?

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Wholly Schmidt View Post
    Is it a free-for-all across the entire player base instead of bracketed? Is that why the reward thresholds are so much larger?
    It is mixed. It is set up like the hunt with sub-events, except that the main mission is not split into brackets (the sub-events are on brackets of 2000). Both of the sub-events have missions that require Punisher and I think they are the highest value missions, which has some pele pissed off.

It appears that the missions can each be done three times before they are no longer worth points. I suspect those will refresh every couple of hours, but not sure yet.

Interesting fact (maybe), the Nevada level is Walker Lake, NV, the south tip of which sits an army depot, which is supposedly the worlds largest.

Social Worker
    Still no clue how this event works. There has been no significant sign of rubberbanding yet, and missions haven't refreshed. But the top progression awards are at 50k and the leaders are all in the 500 range, so something has to change or more stuff has to unlock.

Social Worker
    My bet's that each repeated instance of the map gives more points. Hell, they might even tune it manually as we go to be a nail-biter. But I've never actually seen one of these fail. That would be bad design.

My guess is that they are going to rubberband it so that we all just barely make it on the last day.

New Romantic
    ORA-01013 user requested cancel of current operation
    I must admit I'm somewhat pissed about the "no missions for you, Mr didn't-get-the-latest-greatest-character." I realize that it's *that* important to get a Hulk but it's still irritating.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortilla View Post
    I must admit I'm somewhat pissed about the "no missions for you, Mr didn't-get-the-latest-greatest-character." I realize that it's *that* important to get a Hulk but it's still irritating.
    Yeah, I don't like it either, even though it hasn't affected me yet. I think, though, that fairly few people actually have punisher at this point, so getting Hulk shouldn't be a problem. I have a feeling there are more missions to come in this thing, presumably including some tougher ones.

Social Worker
    Destarius, make sure you go through the prologue and grab all the HP rewards in there. There are quite a few. If you run low on cover space, you might consider not redeeming non-event (regular old standard and heroic) tokens until you are prepared to buy more space.
    Thanks, I'm trying to do that but I keep getting the 20 ISO award, which is very annoying. I decided that the game has already given me at least $5 of gameplay so I bought a bunch of HP. Now what is really getting my goat is the inflationary cost of slots, which means that my money means less the more I spend. That's ridiculous and that has truly ended my desire to spend money on this game.

New Romantic
    ORA-01013 user requested cancel of current operation
    Thanks, I'm trying to do that but I keep getting the 20 ISO award, which is very annoying. I decided that the game has already given me at least $5 of gameplay so I bought a bunch of HP. Now what is really getting my goat is the inflationary cost of slots, which means that my money means less the more I spend. That's ridiculous and that has truly ended my desire to spend money on this game.
    That is a nuisance but don't worry, it's really not a problem over the long term. They are pretty generous with the HP rewards in various events so once you start to get ahead on slots you stay ahead. I haven't sweated slots in a loooong time and I haven't spent any real money on slots since the beginning when I did something similar to what you did.

If you are feeling slot-crunched remember that this ain't pokemon and you don't have to collect them all. A lot of the 1-star characters are fairly useless in the long run so only hoard 2* and above. Even at 2* there are some questionable ones. I managed my slots early on by selling all copies of Juggernaut, Black Widow Modern, Hawkeye (1*), Bullseye, Yelena Belova, and Spiderman Bag Man. If that doesn't cut it, you can also probably sell off characters like Moonstone (interesting but not a powerhouse), Daken (weaker version of Wolverine), and Magneto Marvel Now (useful but totally eclipsed by 3* version and you can't run both . . . ).

The key to the early game is simply patience. Give it time and the ISO/HP will flow from the events.

How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortilla View Post
    I managed my slots early on by selling all copies of Juggernaut, Black Widow Modern, Hawkeye (1*), Bullseye, Yelena Belova, and Spiderman Bag Man.
    Agreed.
    Yelena is the most useless widow, probably the worst character in the game.
    Bag-Man has some very situational against minions (PvE), but isn't worth wasting ISO on.
    At high levels, Juggernaut has _some_ use as a PvP deterrent (high HP, deals good damage, self-damage doesn't matter as much when defending), but again, not really worth spending ISO on.
    1* Hawkeye was recently improved, but I still haven't seen much evidence he's worthwhile.

The only 1*'s I'd really worry about are Modern Widow and Modern Storm, whom I've seen used to good effect at max levels in even against high leveled 2*s, but even then, I wouldn't put ISO into them unless I had a specific plan for using them.

Remember also that if you eventually get seller's remorse, 1* covers come very quickly from standard tokens. I could probably get 3-4 maxed out Venom, Yelena, Hawkeye, and Modern Widows with all the covers I've sold.

Social Worker
    The cover costs go up at least as high as 400, FYI. They do hand out quite a bit of HP, though, especially once you get a decent team built up and can make a run at the progression rewards (as Tortilla said).

Btw, on the Hulk event it seems the mission resets occur 12 hours after completion.

Social Worker
    I've sold most of my 1-stars, and only have Iron Man left. I'm working on my 2 and 3 stars. I guess I'll just keep plugging at it from time to time without spending any more and see how it goes!

Bad Girl
    My 1* characters are:
    - Iron Man Model 35 Lv 20 [5/5/3] (I've the Model 45 at liv 51 with 2/2/2 lv skills)
    - Storm Modern Liv 11 [5/3/5] (I've the Classic at liv 37 with 3/2/2
    - Black Widow Modern Liv 10 [5/5] (I've the Original at liv 6 with 0/3/0)
    - Venom Lv1 [5/5]

Who do you think I should sell? Venom and IM35 are the best choice?

How To Go
    I've gotten tons of mileage out of my Modern Black Widow. Her stun won some battles outright for me and saved me countless thousands of health points in others.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHood View Post
    My 1* characters are:
    - Iron Man Model 35 Lv 20 [5/5/3] (I've the Model 45 at liv 51 with 2/2/2 lv skills)
    - Storm Modern Liv 11 [5/3/5] (I've the Classic at liv 37 with 3/2/2
    - Black Widow Modern Liv 10 [5/5] (I've the Original at liv 6 with 0/3/0)
    - Venom Lv1 [5/5]

Who do you think I should sell? Venom and IM35 are the best choice?
    Thor is a direct replacement for IM35 in every situation, except a one-star tournament, but model 40 really isn't. Similarly, the various storms and widows aren't really replacements. They do different things. If you had to pick one of those to ditch and don't have a decent Thor, I'd probably say Venom, though he came in very handy for me in the recent dark Avenger tournament.

Spinning Toe
    OK, no more starting up in a first day bracket. I somehow went from #7 to #1 when I stepped away for the last minute of this tournament. I Only needed a top 10 too! D:

Thanks to the tournament I now have grey suit widow, looking over her skills, what's the best way to use her? And for Wolverine, is maxing out his yellow good over his red?

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Jab View Post
    Thanks to the tournament I now have grey suit widow, looking over her skills, what's the best way to use her? And for Wolverine, is maxing out his yellow good over his red?
    Absolute key for both is maxing green. For widow, her red is subpar and purple rocks, so max it as well. There are just much better red abilities than hers. For wolverine, many max his yellow, but there is merit in the red too.

Guess who is regretting getting rid of Captain America?

<-- This guy.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by nKoan View Post
    Guess who is regretting getting rid of Captain America?

<-- This guy.
    Any particular reason?

Spinning Toe
    Geeze how are people getting almost 200 in greenland. I'm not even breaking 80

Social Worker
    They're able to hit the Hulk. I only have a level 36 Thor, 20 widow and 25 modern storm, so I can do ok on the first 3, missions, but hulk plus the other 2 smashes me.