Quote Originally Posted by Trung Truong View Post
    Rag/Modern Storm/XX
    Rag/Classic Storm/XX
    Rag/Spider-Man/Grey Widow
    Rag/Thor (Rag doesn't convert yellow)/Spider-Man or XX
    Rag/Wolverine/XX
    Rag/Classic Magneto/Wolverine (my fav)
    Rag/IM40 with level 1 yellow/XX

I think those are the best Ragnarok combos.
    Thanks for that, interesting list. I can do most of them except the IM40 (my yellow is too high) and Classic Magneto (mine is 0/3/0), If a tourney comes along that allows it I might try Rag/Spider-Man/Grey Widow out. Since Spidey and Grey Widow are my two previous mainstays I've got them both developed nicely. I'll have to play around in the shield simulator and see which combos seem to work well.

As an embarrassing side note, I was reviewing my roster this morning whilst contemplating Ragnarok combos and noticed that my Wolverine is not 5/5/3 like I was sure in my head he was. He's 5/5/2. This is a nuisance because I've sold many a Wolverine cover over the last few weeks and now it looks like when I finally want to finish leveling him to 85 I can't. Oops.

Social Worker
    Not a big deal. He's plenty effective without being maxed.

How To Go
    I feel like I have several characters just on the verge of true effectiveness (4/3/5 Wolverine, 2/2/2 Spiderman). Also, I can't find Rag covers anywhere, but I'm at like 7-8 black Loki covers all told. That being said, I finally dumped the ISO to max my Thor out, and I do have a 2/1/4 Grey Widow, who has been handy in The Hunt, if nothing else.

How many Roster slots do you think you need? I currently have 27 (!), which means I have plenty of space for pretty much every useful character, and if I really needed more I could dump Hood or Bag-man, or one of my 1-stars. So I should probably start thinking about what to do with HP that isn't buy rosters.

How To Go
    I feel like I have several characters just on the verge of true effectiveness (4/3/5 Wolverine, 2/2/2 Spiderman). Also, I can't find Rag covers anywhere, but I'm at like 7-8 black Loki covers all told. That being said, I finally dumped the ISO to max my Thor out, and I do have a 2/1/4 Grey Widow, who has been handy in The Hunt, if nothing else.

How many Roster slots do you think you need? I currently have 27 (!), which means I have plenty of space for pretty much every useful character, and if I really needed more I could dump Hood or Bag-man, or one of my 1-stars. So I should probably start thinking about what to do with HP that isn't buy rosters.

Battle Dancer How To Go Wholly Schmidt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CLWheeljack View Post
    I've got 24 slots right now. The only useful characters I can think of that I don't have are Classic Magneto, Ragnarok, and I guess maybe Punisher? Oh, I even have two copies of Modern Storm at the moment since I'm trying to rebuild her since my first was 4/5/4. So 27 seems like it should be plenty for the current lineup, though of course I assume they'll continue to expand the lineup. I've got almost enough HP for two more slots if I need them suddenly, and I think that's what I'll save it for.

edit: According to the D3 forums there are 29 total characters now. You could certainly find at least two useless characters to never keep at this point, even with the tournaments that occasionally highlight less popular characters. I seriously doubt they'll ever run a tournament limited to Bag Man and Yelena Belova with incredible rewards or something.

New Romantic
    ORA-01013 user requested cancel of current operation

2/2/2 Spiderman is TOTALLY worth spending 3750 HP on to turn into 2/5/2 Spiderman. Even if he's only level 20 something he'll be immediately useful because you can use him to stunlock opponents. If you've been feeling tempted to spend some $$$ for Hero Points I find it hard to imagine a more satisfying use of HP. The stunlock + the heal on Spidey makes him instantly useful at any level. He'll let you win fights you probably shouldn't have won, and he'll let you heal so you can leave many fights at full health. When I got a 1/5/0 Spiderman going I started using health packs about 1/3 as much as I used to.

New update is live, doesn't look like any gameplay changes:

This client patch is largely backend for the client to enable further support on future features and ability to change things server-side without requiring as many data side changes. Not to say that those won't come regularly, but things are progressing.

UI
    - Heavily revamped the Comic Pack Store display
    - Added check marks on earned progression rewards in Events and Tournaments
    - An icon now displays instead of a numerical value when a character is buffed
    - Updated the ability firing UI to show cost and a charge bar instead of just numerics

Misc
    - Fixed another occurrence of Events appearing greyed out when they should be active
    - Ability UI sounds when full are now 100% less ear shattering
    The interface for buying covers is different, and I guess a little better, but I still wish they would clearly list exactly who you've got a chance of getting. Also looks like they have daily deals going on now. Not sure if that'll be an every day thing.
    Last edited by Wholly Schmidt; 12-13-2013 at 12:33 PM.

How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortilla View Post
    2/2/2 Spiderman is TOTALLY worth spending 3750 HP on to turn into 2/5/2 Spiderman. Even if he's only level 20 something he'll be immediately useful because you can use him to stunlock opponents. If you've been feeling tempted to spend some $$$ for Hero Points I find it hard to imagine a more satisfying use of HP. The stunlock + the heal on Spidey makes him instantly useful at any level. He'll let you win fights you probably shouldn't have won, and he'll let you heal so you can leave many fights at full health. When I got a 1/5/0 Spiderman going I started using health packs about 1/3 as much as I used to.
    Yeah, I haven't spent any money yet, but I feel I should probably toss a couple bucks their way on principle. Limiting only to tourney-HP hakes it hard to get to 1250 HP for even 1 3* power upgrade, but that's probably the best place I could spend real money.

New Romantic
    Something that I've been wondering, when you're looking at the standard cover choices under each event and the normal one, do different events give out different covers? Or do they all pool from the same possible covers?

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Jab View Post
    Something that I've been wondering, when you're looking at the standard cover choices under each event and the normal one, do different events give out different covers? Or do they all pool from the same possible covers?
    I'm not sure I understand the question? Different events have different cover packs available that they can give reward tokens for. You can also pay ISO/HP to just flat out buy draws from these special event packs. The special event packs will typically have a restricted set of characters available, most usually ones germane to the event, but possibly have a better chance of rewarding rarer characters. The normal shop under "New Heros" is always there and has the standard and heroic packs. The former can theoretically give out *any* cover that exists in the game but the vast majority of the time it just gives out 1* characters. The latter will reliably give out 2* characters with a small chance of 3*/4* characters.

New Romantic
    I think you answered my question. What I mean is when I'm looking at the standard ISO 8 option for The Hunt, or Lightning Round or any other event. Choosing the standard option of each of those would have a chance at different covers right?

New Romantic
    Yes, the distributions and possible pool will be different.

Also, don't buy covers for ISO. As weird as it sounds, in the long run ISO is rarer than covers. I've got tons of characters, some of them maxed out on skills, and a grand total of two characters that have hit level cap. You'll get covers faster than you get the ISO to level them so just keep plugging away and the covers will come.

Spinning Toe
    Also, I'd suggest on holding off on the update. They removed the crit multipliers from the buffs

How To Go
    Also, don't buy covers for ISO. As weird as it sounds, in the long run ISO is rarer than covers. I've got tons of characters, some of them maxed out on skills, and a grand total of two characters that have hit level cap. You'll get covers faster than you get the ISO to level them so just keep plugging away and the covers will come.
    It makes sense. The last cover for, say Thor, unlocks 7 levels at ~1200 ISO each. So, that's like 9K ISO for one cover.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoit View Post
    Also, I'd suggest on holding off on the update. They removed the crit multipliers from the buffs
    About damned time. There's a buffed Doom event that requires the update. I already applied it. Hope to still get at least a blue Spidey cover, and the doom event rotated the Spidey covers so 3-5 gives blue and purple. suh-weet.

There are four constant pools of characters to recruit from:

Starter Heroes - Hawkeye
    - 50HP - a random Hawkeye Classic (1*) cover
    Starter Heroes - Black Widow - 50HP - a random Modern Widow (1*) cover
    New Heroes - Heroic - 300HP - a random 2* or better cover from the entire lineup
    New Heroes - Standard - 500 Iso-8 - a random cover from the entire lineup

Those pools are always available to buy covers from, and the standard one is the only pool I'm aware of that's ever available to draw from with Iso-8. In the New Heroes category they just added this one today:
    New Heroes - Heroic 10-pack - 2700HP (daily deal, 3000HP normal) - Ten random 2* or better covers including guaranteed one more more 3*
    This might be a permanent new addition, not sure yet.

There are event themed pools that are timed to coincide with the events, currently
    The Hunt - The Hunt Heroic - 350HP - Invisible Woman or one of the 2* characters buffed in The Hunt event
    Bad is Good - Dark Avengers - 400HP - 2* or better Dark Avengers
    Doctor's Orders - 2* or better villains - 300HP - 2* or better villains
    Doctor's Orders - Doctor Doom and Villains 10-pack - 3000HP - Ten random villains (not sure if 2* or better?) with at least one guaranteed Doom cover

I don't know the exact math behind the chances in a given pool, so I don't know for example if the rarity of 4* covers is compounded by their 4* rating as well as their small representation of the overall number of covers available or what, but I believe that other than the pools specifically weighted toward characters in their description, covers with the same * ranking are equally likely.

Any event, the prologues or the tournament, can offer tokens good for one pull from the New Heroes Heroic or Standard pools, and those can be redeemed at any point. Tournaments can also offer tokens good for one pull from their tournament specific pools, those presumably cannot be redeemed once the tournament is over and that pool is no longer offered.

I'm also not sure when new heroes go into the standard/heroic pools. I believe right now the only way you can get The Punisher, and maybe the Invisible Woman, are specifically as rewards in their missions/tournaments, but presumably they'll be moved into the overall pool for the standard/heroic draws sometime in the near future after their tournaments are over.

Does that help? Does that contradict anything anyone else has seen/read?

How To Go
    One thing to note, sometimes for a special event pool they'll say something like "Increased chance of Invisible Woman!" But that's purely relative, so it may be 0.2% instead of 0.1%.

Basically, buying covers is for chumps.

New Romantic
    One thing to note, sometimes for a special event pool they'll say something like "Increased chance of Invisible Woman!" But that's purely relative, so it may be 0.2% instead of 0.1%.

Basically, buying covers is for chumps.
    Not really, it's just not a good deal if one is hoping for the grand prize. There's a time and a place for it, and some of the "guaranteed character X" cover packs they've run in the past have been good deals vs just paying HP to level up.

New Romantic
    I just noticed that today's update changed buying covers, you can't spend ISO anymore for the special event packs. I hope they increased the pool of available heroes for the ISO one then.

Social Worker
    1) Blue/Red >>> Purple. Optimal is built 5B/5R/3P

2) Daken > Moonstone > Bullseye. You shouldn't invest to much ISO in them since they are lower tier 2 star characters.

3) I think so but O.BW is good for a 1 star team. I will sell the O.BW for sure since you will get so many of them.
    Looks like you are pushing for 1000. Going to wait a minute before hitting you back.

Edit: hope you got there.
    Last edited by Misguided; 12-13-2013 at 02:29 PM.

Again, the standard 500 Iso draws have always been from all the available characters except maybe the brand new characters they've just introduced, which do get added eventually.

Spinning Toe
    Not really, it's just not a good deal if one is hoping for the grand prize. There's a time and a place for it, and some of the "guaranteed character X" cover packs they've run in the past have been good deals vs just paying HP to level up.
    The 3* event packs are a good deal, like the diabolic lighting round ones, if you don't have multiple covers from it that are already maxed

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by Misguided View Post
    Looks like you are pushing for 1000. Going to wait a minute before hitting you back.

Edit: hope you got there.
    Yeah I pushed to 1000k for fun. Thanks for not attacking back right away bit I used you to push pass 1k. Maybe. Next time we can coordinate our efforts.

Honestly, this game is pushing me away with each patch.

New Romantic
    I'm not surprised. You guys who already have fully developed Ragnarok/Magnetos/Spidermans/etc don't really have a lot to play for do you? You've managed to outrun the available content!

New Romantic
    I decided rather late in the game to join in the Dark Avengers tournament since I had gained a Ragnarok to play with. Joining a list minute bracket definitely meant almost zero competition. I pulled #3 in my bracket with something like 500 points. If I recall my last glance at the standings correctly, that put me only 30 points off of first place for my bracket. I actually wanted the 2nd place finish but I had other things going on in the last 30 minutes of the tourney so had to put the phone down.

It does feel weird to be selling a Spiderman cover, but one of the two I got is useful and between this award and progression awards and rewards from the hunt submissions I've made like 1000HP today which isn't shabby at all.

New Romantic
    I'm one of the new players who started a few days ago when this released on Steam, and I'm quite proud of my 22nd place finish in the recent Bad is Good event. I used a level one Venom, a level 6 Bullseye, and a level 9 Moonstone (my only Dark Avengers, so I had no choices there) and won two red and one green Wolverine covers. He looks like a very promising hero, though he'll need to level more to join my main team.

Spinning Toe
    Wolvie is a very good hero, but yeah, you need to put iso into him to make his strike tiles really shine. And also hope to level up his green.

Maybe I should try a more competitive bracket. I'd pushed up to 800, but it took all I could do to drop points far enough to compete for 2nd

Social Worker
    Wolverine is one of the best in the game, just make sure you go 5 green.

Yeah I pushed to 1000k for fun. Thanks for not attacking back right away bit I used you to push pass 1k. Maybe. Next time we can coordinate our efforts.

Honestly, this game is pushing me away with each patch.
    I got screwed at the end of the tournament. I made the mistake of joining the event right when it started. My bracket was very strong (6 at 1100+ near the end). Because we both had such a high matchmaking rating, I had virtually no choice of opponents all afternoon, and you had the most points out of any of them. I watched as your score slowly drifted down into the 800s. Then all I could do near the end is get attacked for 35 points a pop when I had no one in my list worth more than 15. I barely hung on for 10th, giving me a Spidey cover I can't use.

I joined the Doom event a couple of hours after it started, but the same thing could happen if I get in a high scoring bracket. There's no way to drop my match rating either. No one is playing the Shield Vs from the prologue right now.

I really hope I can make top 5 in the doom event. I need blue and purple Spidey covers.

New Romantic
    How can you find out the strength of your bracket in these tournaments?

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Markell View Post
    How can you find out the strength of your bracket in these tournaments?
    You can't, but once you've played for a while, you develop a sense for it. It's not that hard to tell once you have a feel for what is out there. Your team composition/roster doesn't impact your rating at all, so if you go on a tear in a tournament, it is possible to find yourself in a position where every opponent choice is way above your weight class. Lightning rounds are the best place to fix that. You run up your score, preferably to 200-250ish (and in a magneto or Ragnarok round is better because of their popularity) then switch in a team of scrubs (bag-man if you've got him) and yield a match, setting the scrubs as your defense team. Finally, laugh maniacally as your punching bags get pummeled, ensuring easier matches thereafter.