Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mount & Blade Warband : Mods

Social Worker
    Had neat event in my last PoP play session. Some god felt I was worthy and bestowed me a mighty bow! I'm slowly working up to the draw power 7 required to use it. Was kind of a fun fluke event that's changed the way I was playing.

Mad Chester
    That happens in every game if a certain condition is met.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by kedaha View Post
    That happens in every game if a certain condition is met.
    Way to take away the magic of the game for him! You could say that about everything in every game, though.

But I agree, Shellfishguy - its quite fun how little things can change the game. Its also on of the games that has the most self-evolving (I forgot the game word for it) sandbox world I ever saw - The AI plays by pretty much the same rules as everyone else in general, leading to all sorts of things that can happen. No two games are EVER the same for me. In the last game I started, Sarleon decided to gather the biggest most badass army I ever saw, and just roll over the Empire. At day 30, the empire was down to Cez, and its lords were milling about confused with a glazed look in their eyes, while Sarleon, the faction that almost NEVER get off to a good start, had half the world by then.

I've also seen forest bandits with 200 men, a farmer party who had knights in their party (How did THAT Happen?), areas where brigands roamed like pests, and its not safe to be without a pretty big army since they all gang together on you and lots of stuff like that. EMERGENT gameplay - thats the word. That is what Warband does very, very well. While its within the scope of the game, it makes for very different games each time.

Social Worker
    I'll have to look that up, now I'm curious what I did to trigger it. It's the first time I've seen it happen, but hey its the will of the gods!

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by Shellfishguy View Post
    I'll have to look that up, now I'm curious what I did to trigger it. It's the first time I've seen it happen, but hey its the will of the gods!
    When Wolfbode the Slayer spawns, if the player is close to the city of Poinsbruk, the patron god of hunters and Ravenstern will manifest himself as a powerful Strange Rune Bow in the player's possession.

Social Worker
    That was the exact time it happened, very cool thanks.

New Romantic
    Its been close to a year since I last pimped some Warband mods, and there are two new ones that are very much worth mentioning!

The first one is a Game of Thrones mod, which is...very ambitious and quite well done. It seems to done more or less by one guy and a modeller who makes awesome armors!

Some features:

Brand new map:
    Covering all of Westeros and the western part of the continent of Essos, it is probably the most detailed Mount and Blade: Warband map ever made.

20 unique factions:
    Amongst them The Stormlands, Pentos, Volantis, Dorne and The North, populated by more than 300 new lords and ladies, all of them canon, with custom facial features, hairstyles and clothing.

More than 1000 items:
    Based on various medieval periods and regions, from England in the 11th century to Byzantium in the 13th, as well as many GoT armor pieces, A Clash of Kings currently contain more than 1000 items.

New mercenaries:
    Including Sellsword Pikemen, Hedge Knights, Dornish Skirmishers and Ironborn Sellswords.

26 brand new companions:
    With such illustrious names as Ser Jasper Rivers, Yohnas, Alexos Sand, Martyn Snow and Colin the Mute, who does not speak. Because writing dialogue gets tiresome.

Completely new banners for every lord:
    All of them canon, with a few exceptions. All of them double the resolution of the vanilla Mount and Blade banners, for added enjoyment and overall quality.

New map icons:
    With unique icons for most major cities and castles such as King's Landing, Volantis, Winterfell etc.

Sea travel:
    Sail on the high seas, fight pirates, get captured or drown.

26 new OSP scripts:
    Ranging from a bank script to leave you in debt, to a script allowing you to buy your troops ale.

New scenes:
    A work in progress, 1.0 has custom made scenes for such iconic locations as Storm's End, Moat Cailin, The Eyrie, King's Landing and The Bloody Gate. All in all, more than 80 custom made locations.

An invading faction:
    At an undisclosed point in the game, Westeros will be invaded by a fleet of mysterious sellswords. They carry black banners, banners with golden skulls and banners with griffins. And they have landed in the Rainwood!

Buy Unsullied:
    You can now buy Unsullied from a travelling slaver.

New Romantic
    The second mod I want to pimp is Persino, which is kinda a wanna-be Prophesy of Pendor. Its currently at version 0.6, but is already pretty fun to play. It has a HUGE amount of new troops, and even elephant riders and Dragon riders! Some of the armors a bit lowres to my eyes, but the sheer amount of variety in the mod but regarding troops, equipment but also things to do, since they are implementing a LOT of quests and things to explore, makes this mod pretty fun.

I hope you enjoy these mods as much as I do!

Oh, and I can't friggin wait until Bannerlord comes out!

New Romantic
    Wow! Those look awesome, especially the Clash of Kings mod. I may have to download and get back into Warband once I'm done with my current round of backlog action. That's what I love about Mount & Blade, it's one of those games like the Total War Series or Elder Scrolls series where you can just leave it for months at a time, come back, and find there's even more new and cool stuff to do.

Thanks for the links Razgon!

New Romantic
    My pleasure :-)

As for Clash of Kings, its REALLY well done. The armors are extremely impressive and the best done art I've seen from any mods yet.

Goodluck!!
    Razgon, thanks for posting that. If you've played Clash of Kings, how is it? Is it better than vanilla M&B? What's your thoughts on it?

New Romantic
    I've played a ton of Clash of Kings, and its very, very good. It is based on the floris mod, which expands on a lot of things from Native without going overboard, but kingdom management is heavily enhanced. There are tons of new weapons, armor and equipment. Trade has been improved, and in Clash of Kings, graphics are vastly enhanced compared to Native due to Polished Landscaped, which is a mod a lot of other mods uses.
    The armors in Clash of Kings are the best I've seen in a M&B mod so far - very talented guy who does them.

I do have two issues with the mod though - One is random crashes at times. Sometimes 3 times in a row, other times I can play an entire evening without issues. This is most likely due to how massive the game is.

The other issue is that I have massive slowdowns in figths with lots of cavalry because of the dust that rises. This can be disabled with a single click though in options...I can't remember what option it is but I will check it out when I get home.

All in all, Clash of kings is an awesome mod, that I really recommend highly, especially over native!

Broad Band
    Persino is fantastic, thanks for bringing it to my attention. I think with just a little bit more time it's going to be equal to or better than Pendor, my current favorite mod. On top of all of the other stuff in the mod, I can't get over how awesome the music is. It really adds a ton of atmosphere.

Mad Chester
    Having owned all of the Mount & Blade titles for years but never played more than a few minutes, all the posts in this thread has now moved it out of perpetual back log status. For now I'm running Warband vanilla except for Polished Landscapes which doesn't change gameplay other than collision detection for trees and bushes. After several, umm, "misadventures" involving getting myself captured by Looters (a ploy to lull them into complacency, I assure you ;) I'm now building up a 20-odd person force.

I foresee vanilla taking up a lot of time before moving onto game changing mods.

New Romantic
    Awesome! Be sure to let us know of your adventures! There is a lot of things to discover, but for now, here is a small but interesting tip. If you keep a few horses in your inventory, your entire party will move faster!

Mad Chester
    After playing with only Polished Landscapes mod I grabbed the Diplomacy mod, followed steps to integrate Polished Landscapes, and transferred over my save game. I like the additional options and functionality but now I'm in a rut.

I'm a loyal vassal of the Vaegirs but my king is an idiot: we're already at war with one or two enemies, then he declares on another, then immediately he starts looking for peace due to fighting on too many fronts. This happens repeatedly. We get stretched too thin and lose territory... the worst part was when I was fighting two of his wars one the far side of the map he declared war against the Nords (unprovoked) and they took back the castle I'd taken from them.

My questions: Is this suicidal lust for war a result of Diplomacy mod? Or is the AI in general always this stupid or is perhaps a deliberate behavior quirk of the king? If the Vaegir king is uniquely dumb I could see toppling him with the pretender as maybe new leadership will be less inclined to send the kingdom into ruin.

Otherwise I may end this playthrough and try a more full featured mod. I'm looking into Floris, the Clash of Kings, or the LotR mod for Warband.

New Romantic
    Diplomacy mod is part of many other mods, but I haven't actually played it alone. I know other mods expand on it as well, so I actually don't know exactly how it works. I do think you should try a "full" mod instead though :-) Floris is as I understand it, not being developed anymore, but since you seem to have some experience under your belt, I'd say go grab Prophecy of Pendor. Its the greatest mod of all times (In my opinion, obviously), but its a HARD start.

If you do, here's a quick way to start out
    1) Travel to Ravenstern
    2) Ask three lords if you can help them, and do their quests
    3) After that, they should ask you to become mercenaries for them, giving you a great way to start without having to pay too much money.

Oh, and stay away from the Noldor - They will kill you. Its fun to Help them though. I helped a 150 man noldor patrol against a demon army. Autoresolve I would loose, but if I played the combat? woah - they died like flies! SO much loot!

New Romantic
    Portland, OR GamerTag/GWFL: FreshQu33blets
    OK, so I noticed that The Last Days of the Third Age (LotR) mod was finally made compatible with Warband, so I downloaded and installed it, but what's up with the training available in some camps (I need training in a bad way because I'm absolutely USELESS at melee combat on foot, especially without a shield)? You tell the trainer you want to fight with a one handed weapon against one opponent, and you spawn with zero weapons, and the other guy has a cudgel, every time. WTF?

If I cheat and turn "equipment restriction" off, what does that do for me? Does it start me out with better equipment or make it so any class can use anything?

Goodluck!!
    Okay I reinstalled this.

I played a crapton of pendor before Warband. I'm grabbing that, as well as Persino to see what the new hotness is.

Broad Band
    I played the LoTR mod for original M&B a while back after reading someone's Let's Play on it in Broken Forum. The graphics were terrific, especially the towns. The AI was dodgy in skirmishes though, and broken in the only siege defense I tried. If someone is playing the Warband version of this mod, please report back whether or not you notice any problems with the AI in battles. I wouldn't mind giving it another go if the Warband version is in better shape than the original one.

Goodluck!!
    Pendor download keeps horking. It's the one from the nexus.

Perisno just finished. I'll try that.

Mad Chester
    Razgon, thanks for the tips on Pendor. I'll keep those in mind when I get around to that mod.

I ended up with Floris as I still want an experience in Calradia's world. First thing action was signing up for the Nord king's army. With no units of my own to support plus equipment and weekly pay provided by the king and my share of loot I saved up enough to buy a couple businesses which work great as supplemental income. I fought in my king's battles, rising through the ranks to become a 4th tier archer. Now I've left the army but still work for the Nords as a paid mercenary commanding my own warband.

Swadia got wiped out but not by me. I was a common soldier in the army capturing 2 of their cities but otherwise not involved. The killing blow was from the Sultanate, not the Nords. I like how such a major change in the game world happened and I was barely involved. It would have been annoying if I planned something with Swadia but my current plan is to become a Nord vassal and help them take over the world.

Anyone curious about the Floris mod experience can see this Let's Play by the Reformist. I really like his M&B let's play series and he has a lot of them for various mods.

New Romantic
    Hey, quick question re: the Last Days mod--has anyone else tried to substitute in the Howard Shore music from the films? I'm not enough of a programmer to know if just renaming .mp3's (or .ogg files as the case may be) would do the trick, or whether the program would do more than look for the right filenames.

Blew the dust off Warband and installed Floris last night. I really like the changes, but I forgot how useful the arena and training camps are in the early game. Also forgot that picking Nord recruits for my army wasn't the best choice. I don't think Floris tweaks that. Also forgot that it's hard to find really good weapons early on, without defeating lots of roaming enemies.

Noting that save games between vanila and modded games aren't compatible, is it possible to still jump back and forth and simply load different saves?

New Romantic
    I haven't yet played Floris, but I don't see why not.
    So no one has an answer for me on the Last Days/LOTR music question? Note: I have the music itself legally.

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by barstein View Post
    Blew the dust off Warband and installed Floris last night. I really like the changes, but I forgot how useful the arena and training camps are in the early game. Also forgot that picking Nord recruits for my army wasn't the best choice. I don't think Floris tweaks that. Also forgot that it's hard to find really good weapons early on, without defeating lots of roaming enemies.
    Heh, the backbone of my warband is Nord!

Noting that save games between vanila and modded games aren't compatible, is it possible to still jump back and forth and simply load different saves?
    Yes it is. Each mod has its own save games folder with completely separate saves.

Edit: also, I just realized my first post in this thread was exactly a month ago. I've played a lot of M&B since then! Never been too successful in game but oh well, it's been a blast.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Papageno View Post
    I haven't yet played Floris, but I don't see why not.
    So no one has an answer for me on the Last Days/LOTR music question? Note: I have the music itself legally.
    The music is in another file as well, listed with filenames. I can't remember which one, but do a search over at Talesworlds forums.

Go Nords! I thought about firing a quarter or half of my party and replacing them with Swadians, but I've kind of grown attached.

The arenas in Floris are the biggest difference I can see, so far. Arena play was completely rebuilt from the ground up. The complexity can be a little overwhelming, in fact, but kind of fun.

I didn't realize that one of the Floris features was allowing you to join a lord's army, and thus be swept along in his AI-driven movements around the map. You get paid every seven days, but I'm not sure how the pay is determined (my lvl-6 character with a 21-man Nord horde ranging from the first to fourth tier of the Floris Nord troop tree gets 70-80/week), and I'm also unsure how the AI decides who else to attack (they seem to avoid roaming bandits/sea raiders/camps and favor enemy territories, and engage in battle rarely), and I'm also unsure how to temporarily disengage myself from a lord while holding onto the option of coming back to him later. Would that be the "request personal leave" or "retire from service" option? The latter means you're obligated to return to duty in a week.

Also, there seems to be a Floris bug with tournaments. When I completed one, the crowd continued to cheer for the rest of my game until I quit and reloaded.

New Romantic
    That's not a bug, the crowd just liked you so much they followed you around everywhere from then on, cheering your every action. "Excellent purchase of salt milord!", "Way to beat up those bandits milord!", "Brilliantly executed morning bowel movements milord!"...

I'm playing a girl (again), so I try to ignore flattery whenever possible. (LOL, good one, SM.)

Only real update since my last post is, the Nord competency problem has solved itself. I ventured down to Swadia, recruited a bunch of local recruits, and then got into inescapable skirmishes/battles with local hoodlums/warlords which wiped out most of my well-cultivated but mostly-useless Nords while resulting in a bunch of Swadian prisoners in addition to the recent Swadian recruits. So now it's mostly, go Swadians!

But still, I can understand troops not fighting especially well if you're not there to give them good orders, but it seriously sucks to be "knocked out" in a battle and to watch, in non-corporeal form, while fifteen melee dudes simply stand still and do absolutely nothing while ten scattered enemy archers slowly, leisurely wipe them out one arrow at a time. I mean, seriously guys??