Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 127

Thread: Mount & Blade Warband : Mods

  1. #1
    New Romantic
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Denmark, land of Milk and Honies
    Posts
    9,274

    Mount & Blade Warband : Mods

    There's been a lot of talk lately about Mount & Blade on these forums in various threads, and since I've been on a romb again playing the game like crazy these past few weeks, I thought it could be to do a little writeup about the game and the mods that I personally find to be the best currently so that newcomers to the game see what the game is all about, and how many wonderfull options one have when playing the game.

    I forgot about Companions : besides the million different troops in the game, you also get to hire companions, which are basically heroes you level up as you level up yourself, assigning skill points and selecting and buying equipment, weapons, and horses for.

    The Sieges are some of the most fun I've ever had in games - Once you tried to withstand 1200 men with your silly 200 from a castle and actually win the day due to tactics and good men and high walls, you'll never be the same again ;-)

    Basically, the meat of the game is the battles, where you can fight as European armies, desert raiders, in towns, sieges, plains, deserts, during snow blizzards, desert storms where you cant see a anything ahead of you just hear the screams of battle, and in any way you choose - Sword, shield, lance, bow, crossbow, even sickles!

    About the game itself. M&B Warband is a sandbox world simulator, where various factions vie for control of the lands. They each have lords that leads armies, and castles and towns with villagers attached to them. As a player you have the freedom of the world in that you are free to do anything you want, within the scope of the game. That means, you can roam the lands, killing everyone you meet if you so wish..or try - the lords will usually make mincemeat of you at first. You can also join a kingdom as a mercenary company, getting pay each week, or even join the faction as a Lord of the Realm, once the king / Faction leader trusts you enough. The final option is to become king yourself - either for an existing faction, or make up your own kingdom! A select few mods even lets you fight as a common soldier in the armies of the lords, rising in the ranks through experience (Freelancer mod).
    You can build a merchant empire, trading all over the world to make money as well, but few choose to do that. Most new mods also allow for ships, letting you become a Pirate.

    MODS:
    Floris Mod Pack: Floris is a mod pack that is basically a compilation of many, many MANY mods, allowing you a great deal of choices. There are more different troops, more diplomacy as a lord, and of course a lot of minor changes like the Tournaments are changed quite a bit. Personally, after playing it a few days I find it a bit soulles - Lots of options, but its basically the native game, with a few more options.

    Prophecy of Pendor : This is my favorite mod, as some of you may already know ;-) Its basically a complete overhaul of all the factions and its troops, the world and a TON of new stuff. Its does contain fantasy elements that may put off some, like Noldor (Elves) that roam a giant forest and amazing archers. Demons roam the land in packs, as does witches (no magic, though) and gods occasionally give you a gift or voice their concerns.
    That said, it has Knighthoods for each faction, that you can upgrade and train, and even become a part of, hell, the new patch coming soon will allow you to create your own knighthood! Knights are very expensive units but very lethal.
    What I really like is the tight focus the mod have, letting all the different addons play together to create the mods, and not just add options because they can, but because it gives the player real choices - Choices are important! My ultimate goal is always to reunite the world under the Pendor faction, the old kingdom that all the above were part of once.

    Brytenwalda : Brytenwalda is...really unique - its the single biggest and most comphrehensive mod I've ever seen for a game. Again, its a total conversion to the dark ages Brittania, right after the fall of the Roman Empirewith a LOT of small factions vying for control over the lands, different religions competing. One of the most unique things about the game, is that horses are very rare, and bows are quite poor, making it a VERY different experience than other M&B mods. You rely on infantry, throwing weapons, and skill to make the day. You can also become a Bard in this mod, as well as a pirate if you so choose, although there isn't much to do as it.
    It does have a TON of random going on's, special locations (Ancient Roman ruins) and a real sense of history that permades everything in the mod. Its easy to see this is a real labor of love for the team, and also one that a LOT of research has gone into.

    Sword of Damocles
    : Unfortuantely this mod isnt anywhere near done, but its still quite fun. The basic idea is that in 400 days a major invasion will take place, and you need to unite the world before that, or perish in the onslaught. It also has some unique ideas in it that I really like.

    There are many, many more, like Clash of Kings which is a Game of Thrones mod that is actually quite good, but I'll leave the rest for now - The above should be enough for 2-300 hours of fun ;-)

    Feel free to add to the post, or comment as you please - I just thought I'd give a helping hand to those that were interested in trying out the game :-)
    Last edited by Razgon; 03-28-2013 at 12:39 PM.

  2. #2
    Mad Chester Fozzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Indiana, PSN: Fozz_Thulu
    Posts
    1,078
    How is installing these mods handled? I love me some M&B Warbands, and have about 300 hours in the regular game, but have not pursued the mods yet. Is there a FTB type of installer or something that sets everything up for you? Can you have several different mods loaded?

    EDIT: Does having the Steam version complicate things?

  3. #3
    New Romantic
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Denmark, land of Milk and Honies
    Posts
    9,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozzle View Post
    How is installing these mods handled? I love me some M&B Warbands, and have about 300 hours in the regular game, but have not pursued the mods yet. Is there a FTB type of installer or something that sets everything up for you? Can you have several different mods loaded?

    EDIT: Does having the Steam version complicate things?
    All you have to do is extract the mod into the warband folder called "Modules" - When you start the game, you simply use the dropdown menu that usually says "Native" and select your mod of choice. Thats it!

    If you have several mods in the "Modules", you just select the one you want from the list.

    And you are in for a treat, sir!

    Steam version is the same :-)

  4. #4
    Broad Band
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    293
    Not sure how feature-complete the Warband version is, but Sword of Damocles was/is my favorite mod for the original M&B. I loved the kingdom management features in particular, as that was one aspect I thought was sorely lacking in vanilla. I got the impression that nobody's working on SoD anymore though, or at least it hasn't been updated in a long time.

  5. #5
    New Romantic
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Denmark, land of Milk and Honies
    Posts
    9,274
    Quote Originally Posted by J Thomas View Post
    Not sure how feature-complete the Warband version is, but Sword of Damocles was/is my favorite mod for the original M&B. I loved the kingdom management features in particular, as that was one aspect I thought was sorely lacking in vanilla. I got the impression that nobody's working on SoD anymore though, or at least it hasn't been updated in a long time.
    Yeah, the lead stopped working on the mod some time ago. There's rumors he'll be back soon, though, but who knows.

    As for feature complete - it has a LOT of great features, but there is also a lot of things not implemented yet, such as the invasion itself. Its still a very good mod, though.

    The Kingdom management things are part of most mods these days though - its from an addon mod called Diplomacy as far as I remember.

  6. #6
    Social Worker
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Annapolis, Maryland
    Posts
    2,861
    Razgon, last time I tried to install the PoP mod it wouldn't work with the Steam version of the game. Has this been fixed? Pendor was my favorite mod in the original M&B and I'd love to give it a go in Warband.

  7. #7
    Spinning Toe Hotfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    849
    I just grabbed Warband in the sale. Never played any M&B before. Should I go with vanilla first before messing with mods? Are there "fix" mods that I should look at to make vanilla easier to bear? Or should I just dive into one of these overhauls?

  8. #8
    Broad Band
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    257
    Vanilla Warband is a solid gaming experience that will keep you entertained for many hours. It might be benficial to play through vanilla a couple times to get the lay of the land, and then mix and match the mods that address aspects of the game that come up short for you.

  9. #9
    New Romantic
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Denmark, land of Milk and Honies
    Posts
    9,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Shellfishguy View Post
    Razgon, last time I tried to install the PoP mod it wouldn't work with the Steam version of the game. Has this been fixed? Pendor was my favorite mod in the original M&B and I'd love to give it a go in Warband.
    As far as I can tell, the issues back in the day with Steam and PoP was that Steam version wasn't updated to latest version - this should be rectified by now.

    Just be aware that M&B Warband gets a new patch soon though, and PoP will release an update to follow that closely so hopefully steam patches the game fast this time around.

  10. #10
    Spinning Toe Hotfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    849
    Right on. Thanks, Seneca.

  11. #11
    New Romantic
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Denmark, land of Milk and Honies
    Posts
    9,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotfreak View Post
    I just grabbed Warband in the sale. Never played any M&B before. Should I go with vanilla first before messing with mods? Are there "fix" mods that I should look at to make vanilla easier to bear? Or should I just dive into one of these overhauls?
    Yeah, I'd play vanilla a bit, if only to see the differences when you play the mods.

  12. #12
    Broad Band
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    171
    I know you're talking about Warbands, but a discussion of M&B mods would not be complete without at least mentioning this terrific Lord of the Rings version: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=199243.0.

    It requires Mount&Blade 1.011 and it was such a huge undertaking that I don't think they're updating it for Warbands. But if you have any interest in Tolkien lore, it's a must-have mod.

  13. #13
    Neo Acoustic arrendek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    1,580
    Thanks for the summary, Razgon. I've just started Floris and when I get bored of it I'll try the Britannia mod you linked, that sounds really cool. Although, as I usually go for the bows (90 headshots in a siege can really turn the tide) I'm not sure I'll be able to stick with it.

    Floris is pretty good so far, but I think you're right. It's just MORE of everything from vanilla, without really changing anything. I'll see if that initial impression is wrong in the coming days.

  14. #14
    New Romantic
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Denmark, land of Milk and Honies
    Posts
    9,274
    Quote Originally Posted by arrendek View Post
    Thanks for the summary, Razgon. I've just started Floris and when I get bored of it I'll try the Britannia mod you linked, that sounds really cool. Although, as I usually go for the bows (90 headshots in a siege can really turn the tide) I'm not sure I'll be able to stick with it.

    Floris is pretty good so far, but I think you're right. It's just MORE of everything from vanilla, without really changing anything. I'll see if that initial impression is wrong in the coming days.
    If you like archers and archery, you *really* need to try out Pendor - It has the most insane archers and bows that you'll ever see!

  15. #15
    Mad Chester
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    1,119
    Brytenwalda is quite buggy and extremely resource intensive. PoP is excellent except stuff like sieges (bread and butter gameplay) are horrifically badly done. Floris is vanilla extended, basically Warband 1.5. Lots of scripts, addons and tweaks to make everything about Warband better.

  16. #16
    New Romantic
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Denmark, land of Milk and Honies
    Posts
    9,274
    Quote Originally Posted by kedaha View Post
    Brytenwalda is quite buggy and extremely resource intensive. PoP is excellent except stuff like sieges (bread and butter gameplay) are horrifically badly done. Floris is vanilla extended, basically Warband 1.5. Lots of scripts, addons and tweaks to make everything about Warband better.
    When did you last play Brytenwalda? Its done - as in finished and is without any bugs at all for me? And according to most people its also completely Bug free by now. PoP is also still being worked on, and sieges works fine?

  17. #17
    World's End Supernova Telefrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Washington State, XBL: Telefrog
    Posts
    21,785
    M&B Warband is so great. I really hope the next M&B will live up to it.

  18. #18
    Social Worker Djscman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Minneapolis, Minneapolis, Minneapolis
    Posts
    2,083
    What are some of the best graphics or audio mods? I found some good ones for the original M&B, but I got lost looking through Warband's mods, trying to figure out what is already bundled with something else.

    Edit: spelling: M&B for Mount and Blade, not B&B for Bed and Breakfast (which is something you should be able to build in one of the cities).
    Last edited by Djscman; 05-09-2013 at 12:18 PM.

  19. #19
    New Romantic
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Denmark, land of Milk and Honies
    Posts
    9,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Djscman View Post
    What are some of the best graphics or audio mods? I found some good ones for the original B&B, but I got lost looking through Warband's mods, trying to figure out what is already bundled with something else.
    Take a look here, and scroll down to single player - This should give you an idea of some of the things out there.

  20. #20
    Neo Acoustic arrendek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    1,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Razgon View Post
    If you like archers and archery, you *really* need to try out Pendor - It has the most insane archers and bows that you'll ever see!
    I've played PoP, I like it a lot. 700+ sized armies raging the countryside is a little off-putting though. :) Good thing they move slow as molasses.

  21. #21
    Mad Chester
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    1,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Razgon View Post
    When did you last play Brytenwalda? Its done - as in finished and is without any bugs at all for me? And according to most people its also completely Bug free by now. PoP is also still being worked on, and sieges works fine?
    Mid summer for brytenwalda. PoP sieges are terrible, only one method of ingress, poor pathfinding for both offenders and defenders, and the openings around the ingresses tend to have hit boxes that don't match the physical battlements (which makes ranged attacks difficult). The vast majority of sieges in PoP are like that, whereas floris has mods specifically designed to counter these deficiencies. I can make some videos when I get home after the long weekend, but I can't believe you've played the game so much and noticed that sieges in PoP are a mess!

    As I've said before, I'd love the PoP world with the mechanics of floris extended. I love the brutality of PoP, the knightly orders and the fact it even has a storyline. Shame the gameplay is clunky.

  22. #22
    New Romantic
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Denmark, land of Milk and Honies
    Posts
    9,274
    Brytenwalda was completely done and released on 28/09/2012 and has no bugs anymore. As for Pendor sieges...meh, they work fine for me - Sure there is only one entrance to most keeps, but they are still a ton of fun. Anyways - Each to his own. PoP was voted second best mod ever for M&B Warband, so I'm sure most people find that it works fine.

  23. #23
    Neo Acoustic arrendek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    1,580
    Quote Originally Posted by arrendek View Post
    I've played PoP, I like it a lot. 700+ sized armies raging the countryside is a little off-putting though. :) Good thing they move slow as molasses.
    Well shit, now I have seen something worse. In Floris, I saw a dude leading a bunch of separate armies of forest bandits, such that if you ran into the center of them you could get a 200+ sized opposing force, but they were individually moving together with the regular small army speed. Jeez. I ran into the end of their line and picked off 100 or so, but I'm only on Day 14 or something, so I'm not uber-ed out yet and it was tough. I wonder if later on Floris will run a similar strategy with actually good units and up the numbers a bit.

    I suppose it was just like when you run into an enemy faction running to a siege out in the wild, but when they can just up and happen with bandits, that's pretty cool. In PoP the huge armies move so slow they effectively can't touch you unless you want them to.

  24. #24
    Neo Acoustic
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Airstrip One
    Posts
    1,925
    Thanks for posting this Razgon. I've had a look at some Let's Plays for the mods and have decided to give Brytenwalda a go once I have more experience in vanilla.

  25. #25
    New Romantic
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Denmark, land of Milk and Honies
    Posts
    9,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hussey View Post
    Thanks for posting this Razgon. I've had a look at some Let's Plays for the mods and have decided to give Brytenwalda a go once I have more experience in vanilla.
    Great! Oh, one thing - If you do a few tasks for a nation, and get some reputation with them, you can join the army of that factions lords. Some like it as a good way to get decent pay and items in the beginning. It CAN be boring though, if the faction isn't at war and you just run around for weeks doing nothing. On the other side, its quite fun to be in a battle where you are armed with a pitchfork and some stones and a hat made of straw while the lords ride their horses and use swords and chain mail. Its a somewhat unique experience.

  26. #26
    Neo Acoustic arrendek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    1,580
    So I've put many hours into Floris now and I really see nothing which distinguishes it from vanilla Warband. It's just more and it has some of the systems from other mods incorporated that I like (tourneys, sieges, auto-loot). So overall I'd say it's a better vanilla experience, but it's still a vanilla experience. Maybe I missed something?

  27. #27
    New Romantic
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Denmark, land of Milk and Honies
    Posts
    9,274
    Nah, Floris is just that - An extended vanilla version of the game. It refines a lot of systems, but thats more or less it.

    The total conversion mods are to me at least,a lot more interesting, since they add purpose and story to the game. Well, at least Brytenwalda and PoP does so.

  28. #28
    Broad Band
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    293
    I was cruising Taleworlds's forums, and noticed that a new version of Prophesy of Pendor was released last week. The notable new feature is the ability to create and customize your own knighthood order. Looks very cool. I may have to fire up Warband again, and see if I can gel this time with the combat changes from the original M&B.

  29. #29
    Social Worker
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Elverum,Norway
    Posts
    3,345
    Tried some of them, I just think it got so sterile after they added so much lords and ladies, I roam the land, and there is just nothing there...no roaming bands, no nothing, everything cleaned out by npcs..when I finally find something its 4 outlaws that takes ages to chase down.

    While I have done the lords and ladies stuff before, it takes ages to get into the action, and the quests are hard to find and few....and when you get them, they are hard to find again...

  30. #30
    New Romantic
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Denmark, land of Milk and Honies
    Posts
    9,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Janster View Post
    Tried some of them, I just think it got so sterile after they added so much lords and ladies, I roam the land, and there is just nothing there...no roaming bands, no nothing, everything cleaned out by npcs..when I finally find something its 4 outlaws that takes ages to chase down.

    While I have done the lords and ladies stuff before, it takes ages to get into the action, and the quests are hard to find and few....and when you get them, they are hard to find again...
    i assume thats neither Brytenwalda nor PoP? Beceause those two have tons of things happening at all times.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •