Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Might and Magic X

No longer plays GeoSpark New Romantic krayzkrok's Avatar
    Ok, why didn't someone persuade me to play Ultima Underworld before now? It's quite good, isn't it? The graphic engine is clearly an earlier version of the one that powered System Shock, and so far it's like playing a fantasy version of that game. In other words, effing awesome.

Mad Chester
    Man, this is a clusterfuck...

Two different pre-release versions? Only one act playable? But they will release a modding kit before the full release, what? Then there will be 'DLC'. The first one you get for free, without knowing what's in it whatsoever.

Still no price. Still not even listed on Steam, although it's monday. You have to buy at Uplay for the box version... but you will need uplay on steam anyway, right?

Then this whole 'open dev' shit...

Jeez, simply releasing a complete game is too much to ask nowadays I gather, even for a title like this?

Kansas City, MO, Gamertag: Rock8mnky, PSN: Rock8man
    Wait, this is coming out tomorrow? Already? Wasn't it just announced a few months ago? What's going on? Is this being sent out to die? What the hell?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock8man
    Wait, this is coming out tomorrow? Already? Wasn't it just announced a few months ago? What's going on? Is this being sent out to die? What the hell?
    Pre-releasing games to rob unsuspecting, beta-testing patrons of their dollars is the new hotness.

Quote Originally Posted by Might and Magic X Blog
    Yes, it’s true – you can start to play tomorrow !

Might & Magic X - Legacy will be officially pre-released, offering an Early Access, which will then be available through Uplay and Steam. Please note that the box edition of Might & Magic X – Legacy will be exclusive to Uplay.

Through this early version of the game we will give you the opportunity to start your great journey in the peninsula of Agyn.

You will be able to play Act I (out of four Acts), test four classes (out of twelve) and get a first impression of what MMX looks and feels like on an unpolished level (unpolished also means that it will still contain bugs, as this is an “Early Access”, so the game will still be work in progress; we are still developing. For more info, read further down below).

Mad Chester
    I'm curious when they will tell us the price of this pre-release. Maybe only after you have bought it?

Quote Originally Posted by krayzkrok View Post
    Ok, why didn't someone persuade me to play Ultima Underworld before now? It's quite good, isn't it? The graphic engine is clearly an earlier version of the one that powered System Shock, and so far it's like playing a fantasy version of that game. In other words, effing awesome.
    Yes, UW1 is one of the best games of all time. If you can stand the ancient presentation, it's well worth a look.

Also, system shock is a sci-fi version of underworld, not the other way around!

New Romantic
    I'd like to know if they progress you make in the pre-release carries over to the real release.

Mad Chester
    It's up on Steam guys.

29.99€ (29.99$ then I guess?)!

Kinda pricey...

ninja'd

How is that possible? I thought it required uPlay?

Mad Chester
    I guess it will, too.

"From Dust", for example, was on Steam and it simply launched the uplay client.

Edit: It says on the Steam store page: "3rd-party DRM: Uplay"

Spinning Toe
    Uggg, really want to buy this, but $30 and Uplay? Not pushing me over the edge... I wonder how long Act 1 is and if its actually finished, or if there is still bugs and glitches?

Mad Chester
    They wrote on their blog that it will have bugs and it isn't completely finished, they cited missing monster animations for example.

Also, you can only select between 4 classes of the later 12 available ones.

Total badass of Dredmore Social Worker
    I don't really have a lot of interest in playing a buggy, incomplete version, but am considering buying in early just to send the message that there's demand for this type of game.

Mad Chester
    Seems like they didn't look at Grimrock hard enough.

For me, this kind of a game would have been a no-brainer. But with all this "new age gaming shit" (DLC, Pre-Release, community driven development, comparatively high price, DRM) I'm seriously reconsidering.

Sadly I'm very weak-minded when it comes to this type of game (on the PC no less)!

I played through Lands of Lore a few month ago out of desperation ffs!

Neo Acoustic
    $30, Uplay, AND about as much content as you would get in a demo, plus more bugs.

That's some hat trick.

Pass.

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by sharaleo View Post
    Pre-releasing games to rob unsuspecting, beta-testing patrons of their dollars is the new hotness.
    I'm not sure how you are robbing 'unsuspecting' people when it states Early Access on Steam with all the usual warnings and dev blog mentions 'unpolished' and 'bugs'. Seems like they are giving us enough information to make an informed choice. I choose to pass. Others may choose not to pass, but they are making as informed a choice as they want. If people are feeling burned by this, they are poor consumers.

Social Worker
    Its still really interesting looking, but yeah I'll pass for a more complete and polished version. Especially at $30.

Neo Acoustic
    I can understand a one or two person development house throwing a beta out there for $30 in order to keep cash flow going while they finish a game. But Ubisoft? Gimmee a break.

World's End Supernova

Might and Magic X

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    For me, this kind of a game would have been a no-brainer. But with all this "new age gaming shit" (DLC, Pre-Release, community driven development, comparatively high price, DRM) I'm seriously reconsidering.

Sadly I'm very weak-minded when it comes to this type of game (on the PC no less)!

I played through Lands of Lore a few month ago out of desperation ffs!
    As consumers we're going to have to pick our battles. Of course I'd like packaged releases like the good old days. So far I've been able to ignore most alphas until release. The hype usually restarts again at 1.0, so I don't feel like I'm missing anything. And if there's no more hype, then it's a good thing I didn't get in for the alpha! Time and money saved.

But if you're that desperate, just go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by biosc1 View Post
    I'm not sure how you are robbing 'unsuspecting' people when it states...
    Knew I'd get pulled up on that - it was mean as an expression only, though I will confess it was written before the Steam page was up and I was indeed interested to what level of information would be provided on the page when it went live.

I read this on the front page:

“You don’t get a soft launch for a branded title,” Perry said. “Players come there for your brand. You only get word-of-mouth once. Whenever we got new players, they always came in with the overhead, ‘but I heard this game sucks.’
    It seemed pertinent. I worry that this kind of early access release program for well known properties will be damaging in the long run. Alpha/Beta gets released, everyone gets excited, game is feature/content incomplete/buggy, players are dissatisfied despite warnings, early release gets unfavorable 'previews' in the media, everyone loses interest during further development and the game never gets a second wind or the attention it may deserve upon actual release.

End result is we end up in the same position that we have been in - a few years from now, nobody (even smaller teams) take chances on "non-mainstream" genre's because the 'final' products never move significant units.

It may work for the Minecrafts', that grow to fame and success on word of mouth of a very solid alpha/beta, but fans will flock to franchises like this and if the alpha is rocky, the game may be finished, even before it's um, finished.
    Last edited by sharaleo; 08-19-2013 at 11:01 AM.

Wait a sec, has the price gone up for anyone else?

It was USD$30 moments after the Steam store page appeared, now it's USD$35.

??

$30 for me. Maybe it noticed you were in Australia and applied a magical surcharge?

But I have no interest whatosever in the first chapter of anything, even if it was completely working. Wake me when it's an actual game.

Social Worker
    I took the plunge and played for an hour and completed a few quests. So far it's okay with the following complaints:

(1) Some text quest is buggy. There are still placeholder text pieces like "{0}" and "{1}". In one case the text quest doesn't seem to explain why my text choice is ignored.
    (2) I can't seem to apply my attribute points when I levelled up. I kept clicking the big "+" to distribute points. It depresses but does nothing. I can apply skill upgrades fine though. I'm not sure if attribute point levelling is just broken or I'm doing something wrong.
    (3) There are no party ranks (is this a legacy MM rule? I can't remember), so your magic users are as good as front row fighters once you get into melee range, so this seems to heavily disfavour lightly armoured glass cannons (just about any magic user). I would have preferred a Wizardry, but I keep in mind that this is an MM.
    (4) The grid movement speed is not really acceptable to my mind by today's standards. It's very clumsy. I'm not sure what's going on in the background to slow it down, or whether this is a design decision to make it feel "old school".
    (5) Pacing is okay, but the monster closet chests are really lame. In fact, you have "monster appears in your face" and "monsters spawn out of thin air" right from the first quest dungeon. I'm not sure if this is related to the type of mob, but given how fragile the magic users are, this really makes it hard to manage their survivability.
    (6) At this stage I had little choice in race and class mix - you can choose a party make up, but your race determined your class ie that human will always be a freemage. The other classes are locked out for now.

Summary: I love games like Legend of Grimrock, and Wiz 8, but I didn't get any buzz from this. It's very unpolished and I feel it. That said, it is still in beta and I would recommend holding off till it's further along.

In old M&M, different monsters had different preferred foes, so they wouldn't always pick on the mage. The mage was powerful enough, though, that it was worth it to occasionally have to coddle them when they did get picked on.

The problems you describe sound like pre-alpha internal build to me, not even a real alpha, much less a beta. If that's what they are sharing with the outside world, they are both shameless and stupid, and this does not bode well for the final product.

Social Worker
    M&M 1-2 had more concrete ranks. 3-5 had nominal ranks; the "left most" people got attacked "more often" but nothing precluded the guys in the last slots from getting attacked in melee otherwise. I can't recall if 6+ even cared any more.

1-2 did "roll for a pop up encounter" at each step, a la Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord (or rather, it probably kept rolling until you got one, and then didn't bother for a little bit, but that's besides the point). They were the last games in the series to do it (3-9 all feature monsters "in the game world"). Until now I guess.

Total badass of Dredmore Social Worker
    In the older games, mages were worthwhile because they could soften up or destroy entire groups of enemies at a distance. Though as with most RPGs, it took a few levels before they started to shine.

Slow movement is definitely worrying, and none of the old games had that problem, so it isn't "old school". Up through V there was no movement animation, just an instant transition from one square to the next, and in VI onward it went 3D and there was no grid.

Thanks for the report. I'm still looking forward to this, but don't really care to get a half-developed version early.

Really likes Kinect Neo Acoustic
    I might just go buy the old ones from GOG and wait this out.

There might have been a time when I was interested in helping test an alpha/beta version of a game, but I just can't muster the interest or time to do so anymore. And paying for the privilege of testing a game is a direction I don't want the game industry to continue down (at least for non-indie companies).

M&M X is on my buybuybuy radar, but I'll be passing on the early access.

Social Worker
    The movement is a bit tedious since you have to move forward a tile or three, than change direction over and over. I cannot remember if the old M&Ms were like that.