Thread: Might and Magic X

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Shellfishguy View Post
    That's the one. Just make sure you've explored all around the outside of the city. If you want an exact location I can PM you or try to get the spolier tags right lol.
    I'll give a hint.

Elite Giant Spider.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by stusser View Post
    If I started over, I would pick Blade Dancer, Crusader, Shaman, Freemage.

I have a barbarian; he's a monster damage dealer and a decent tank. Bladedancer is a good alternative. You don't really need two tanks, although he can fill in a pinch if you level dodge skill. They get an AE ability at promotion, and I would love some way to deal real AE damage from my melee. There may be a dungeon you can't enter without an elf in the party too. I couldn't get in, they turned me away.

Crusader is a great tank and a decent single-target damager that can also backup heal and cast that armor spell (which has saved me from reloading often in a pinch). Promotion bonuses use all your mana, which you need so your melee attacks aren't BLOCK MISS BLOCK BLOCK BLOCK so they aren't fantastic. Defender is a decent alternative as he's a much better tank, particularly with his promotion bonus, but you lose that backup healing so I prefer crusader.

Shaman deals great AE damage and can heal. Promotion bonus is worth a ton of mana. Everybody should take a shaman.

Freemage gets dark magic (which I miss) and has a better promotion bonus than the useless Rune Priest's. I hear Sleep is particularly overpowered.
    Thanks for this. I think this is the party I'll probably go with.

I've been resisting due to a massive backlog, but I was a such a huge fan of all the games, I can't say no.

Social Worker
    So I have a ring that gives +1 Dark magic but when I equip it, I don't get Dark Magic in my skill tree. WTF??

Total badass of Dredmore Social Worker
    I think those only work to enhance characters' existing skills, not to grant new skills.

I actually don't know what happens if you equip an item that buffs a skill your class can use but haven't invested in. My guess is nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Stridergg View Post
    Same here after about 25 hours.

Also to the people who say there is no need for tanks, I think you are playing it wrong. I have 2 in my group (Defender and Crusader) and they are invaluable. Heavy armor skill is useful, Shields is useful (having 2 blocks is great), Warfare is great too (Challenge, Shatter, Skull Crack, Unstoppable Assault, Intercept - they all are extremely useful). I suppose it's possible to focus in dps and create a party that will try and outdamage enemies (and, if you get "bad RND" just re-load and bitch on forums) but having tanks in your party makes fighting much safer.

Think about it, with 2 tanks, even if I don't use any taunts, 50% of enemy melee attacks get either blocked or heavily resisted by armor. When my tanks get hit, they don't use up Celestial Armor (or use a little bit of it), which means my casters are more protected by it. Between Challenge, Intercept, Celestial Armor and Regeneration, my casters have no problems surviving. In fact, most fights I end up just auto attacking enemies because replenishing health is easy (I have way more health potions than mana potions).
    Just curious what point you are at in the game. My first few attempts had tanks and always stalled in Act 2. My current tankless party has cruised right along, and never had a point that I couldn't find things I could battle well. I'm almost done with Act 3.

Even if you're successfully tanking, you are having longer battles due to lower DPS, and therefore your casters have a higher chance of getting ganked. Enemies never run out of mana, and always have a chance to crit, so the longer you're in battle, the better chance your mage or healer is going to be killed.

I guess the good news is that people can make arguments for different party make-ups, which is the sign of a good party-based game.

New Romantic
    1) Normal difficulty is very hard in the beginning and quite tough later on. I hex edited extra supplies so I don't constantly fight attrition. The Tomb of a Thousand Terrors would be suuuuper difficult without being able to rest all the time.

2) Theoretically a "free DLC" and an "extra dungeon". Neither are available yet.

3) Relics will be in your inventory at level 1. Sana is in the second town, look for a genie lamp. I didn't unlock the meow dungeon, not enough ubi points, maybe someone else can tell you where it is?

4) If you login to the Uplay apps on iOS and android, you get 10 points each. Every chapter completed in M&M10 gives points too, as do other Ubi games. Beyond that, I don't know. I would like more points too.

5) I probably wouldn't use a mercenary, because they can't GM any weapon skills and GM bonuses are huge in this game. The ranged characters (ranger, scout) are somewhat weak if you put points into their ranged skills, but are fine in melee. If I started over, I would pick Blade Dancer, Crusader, Shaman, Freemage.

I have a barbarian; he's a monster damage dealer and a decent tank. Bladedancer is a good alternative. You don't really need two tanks, although he can fill in a pinch if you level dodge skill. They get an AE ability at promotion, and I would love some way to deal real AE damage from my melee. There may be a dungeon you can't enter without an elf in the party too. I couldn't get in, they turned me away.

Crusader is a great tank and a decent single-target damager that can also backup heal and cast that armor spell (which has saved me from reloading often in a pinch). Promotion bonuses use all your mana, which you need so your melee attacks aren't BLOCK MISS BLOCK BLOCK BLOCK so they aren't fantastic. Defender is a decent alternative as he's a much better tank, particularly with his promotion bonus, but you lose that backup healing so I prefer crusader.

Shaman deals great AE damage and can heal. Promotion bonus is worth a ton of mana. Everybody should take a shaman.

Freemage gets dark magic (which I miss) and has a better promotion bonus than the useless Rune Priest's. I hear Sleep is particularly overpowered.
    How do you deal with perception secrets with that party?

I was thinking of making something similar. For me, having identify is basically required, so i need to take a rune priest or freemage. Rune priest is nice in many ways, but i was kind of getting annoyed with mine.

On the note of ubisoft rewards, they are extremely buggy and there is a lot of complaining about them. Mine took a day to show up after buying them and nothing i did would make them show up short of waiting (or them fixing it server side possibly).

You pump points into perception and use the perception buff. You'll need some to not miss in combat all the time anyway.

Does anyone know where to find the shard of fire? I'm basically up to the endgame and that's all I missed. Spoiler tags please.

You pump points into perception and use the perception buff. You'll need some to not miss in combat all the time anyway.

Does anyone know where to find the shard of fire? I'm basically up to the endgame and that's all I missed. Spoiler tags please.

Spoiler: Fire Shard
    It's in the Lost city level 3. Fight the Giant spider boss.

Ahh crap, I was just there, I must have missed it. Thank you.

New Romantic
    Being limited to 10 quick bar slots per person makes playing any sort of caster extremely painful, especially freemage.

Social Worker
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...rive_web#gid=0

That is a good link to class/skill/spell info.

I was about level 15, playing Adventurer difficulty, around Seahaven and I could not handle those goddamn feebleminding fucking bandits and couldn't find a direction to go that didnt lead to them. So I started over. Imaginatively, I used the exact same party! Barb, Blade, FreeMage, RunePriest. Streamlining skill point spending has made the second game a lot easier.

edit: And the game runs like shit for me. I don't have a bleeding edge machine, i5/8G/GF660/64bit Win7. But I can run way better looking games at 60FPS, like Dishonored, Bioshock Infinite. This game...at like mid/high settings can crawl in certain spots. That fight with the 2 Spectres in the area between Sorpigal and the Castle, out front of a crypt...lol. I get like 10 FPS, maybe?
    Last edited by olaf; 01-27-2014 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Murbella View Post
    Being limited to 10 quick bar slots per person makes playing any sort of caster extremely painful, especially freemage.
    Yeah, funny they should use a MMO UI style but only one bar's worth. They should have macro keys too so you can cast all your detects and whatnot with a keystroke.

Something about these Russian-studio games seems to be associated with bad graphics performance.

Hustle
    It's not a Russian studio.

Social Worker
    I aw having a problem installing the game (I did have it the beta installed and it worked fine). When I tried to start the game after it updated itself it would not work stating the Ubisoft loader was not working - to try and uninstall and start over. I uninstalled the game - restarted Steam and it still will not start.

Anyone else have the beta? Do I need a different key for the full version - I did not think so.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by GeeWhiz; 01-28-2014 at 05:17 AM.

Social Worker

3) Relics will be in your inventory at level 1. Sana is in the second town, look for a genie lamp. I didn't unlock the meow dungeon, not enough ubi points, maybe someone else can tell you where it is?
    The Meow dungeon starts with an NPC in Karthal. I met the NPC and got the quest but decided not to do the dungeon yet.

I put the main quest on hold last night and finished off my Paladin upgrade and then went back and started knocking off the Dangerous Caves etc that I had skipped before. I also picked up a bunch of detect secret scrolls and ran around the lost city, managed to find another four chests or so that I had missed. Ended off the M&M evening by clearing out the road to The Crag and exploring the city.

Earlier in the evening I won a copy of Starbound from one of the Twitch streams I watch regularly. I was pretty excited as I was thinking that I'd finally buy it now that the character wipes are supposedly over. I sat there while it downloaded and installed then promptly started up M&M instead. My son was pretty miffed later when he came over and asked why I wasn't playing Starbound. All I could say was, Because son, Might and Magic.

How much of the elemental forge do you have to do to unlock other zones? I can handle the assassins there but not the elementals, so I hope I can go level up somewhere else a bit.

New Romantic
    I'm not sure i like freemage. They seem to die instantly if they get attacked even once and it crits. There also doesn't seem to be much i can do to protect them short of spamming celestial armor every turn. Having a paladin and a free mage, i can technically do this and have them alternate when one needs to drink a mana potion, but i kind of don't want to.

I wish there was more choice in casters that have primordial magic and dark magic.

New Romantic
    Am i missing something or is the light spell Radiant Weapon broken?

It says it stops the enemy from blocking for the turn, but i've used it, had it hit and not be resisted, and then my blade dancer is blocked immediately after.

Quote Originally Posted by Piemax2 View Post
    How much of the elemental forge do you have to do to unlock other zones? I can handle the assassins there but not the elementals, so I hope I can go level up somewhere else a bit.
    Water shard and air shard are the only ones that unlock new territory. The rest give different bonuses to your party.

Quote Originally Posted by Spect View Post
    Water shard and air shard are the only ones that unlock new territory. The rest give different bonuses to your party.
    Thanks! Is there anywhere else I should be able to go w/o dealing with the earth shard? I cant seem to handle that yetI.

Thanks! Is there anywhere else I should be able to go w/o dealing with the earth shard? I cant seem to handle that yetI.
    Oops, I assumed you had the Earth Shard already, as that opens up the Elemental forge, but you would still have to beat the guardian.

If you're on Act 2, then you pretty much need to do the earth shard to open the forest areas up. Anything else would be too tough at this point.

hmm I guess I'll try again- any hints? this is the first fight I've failed repeatedly- I did have a wipe at the lighthouse but its been pretty smooth sailing since then

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Murbella View Post
    I'm not sure i like freemage. They seem to die instantly if they get attacked even once and it crits. There also doesn't seem to be much i can do to protect them short of spamming celestial armor every turn. Having a paladin and a free mage, i can technically do this and have them alternate when one needs to drink a mana potion, but i kind of don't want to.

I wish there was more choice in casters that have primordial magic and dark magic.
    At least druid can GM and runepriest can master primordial damage. Dark magic is only available to freemages. :(

I think the key with freemages, as with any other class, really, is to keep pumping up their health. Mine had her Endurance leveled up asap, earlier than other characters. At the moment, my freemage has about the same health as my crusader, which is just a tiny bit less than my defender. So far I haven't invested in Destiny/Dodge, so can't comment on it. Freemages don't get medium armor, so the best "regular" armor goes to her, there are some nice pieces, I like the ones that buff health.

Between buffed up health, celestial armor, stoneskin and regeneration I have literally never seen my freemage die instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Spect View Post
    Earth shard opens up forest territory blocked by thickets.

Is there anywhere else I should be able to go w/o dealing with the earth shard? I cant seem to handle that yet
    Not sure, but I think you should be able to advance the main story (go west from Seahaven).

Better yet, try to handle the earth shard. There are only a handful of earth elementals you have to kill for it (leave the air ones alone) and an earth elemental boss, which wasn't that hard. Replenish your supplies, rest before fights, use your most damaging spells like they go out of style and you should be fine! :)

Social Worker
    hmm I guess I'll try again- any hints? this is the first fight I've failed repeatedly- I did have a wipe at the lighthouse but its been pretty smooth sailing since then
    Which fight exactly?

Spinning Toe
    Wow, really, which level of difficulty are you on? I'm on Warrior myself and wipe pretty frequently.

About the Guardian for the Earth shard. I think if you managed the assasins you should be able to manage this. I kept using the armor spell to avoid being hit and punishing him with spells. Took three tries, but he died.

Remember you can cast all buffs on you just before summoning the guardian, so that first turn when he's one space away from you you don't need to buff and can hit him with 2/3 free spells (depending on party compo, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by Munin View Post
    It's not a Russian studio.
    Really? They used a bunch of HoMM VI assets, so I assumed.... Perhaps it's just the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Stridergg View Post
    Not sure, but I think you should be able to advance the main story (go west from Seahaven).
    dumb question time- how do I get to Seahaven? The guard is still blocking the one road I know about and the boat guy won't take me anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Raigada View Post
    Wow, really, which level of difficulty are you on?
    Remember you can cast all buffs on you just before summoning the guardian, so that first turn when he's one space away from you you don't need to buff and can hit him with 2/3 free spells (depending on party compo, of course).
    I'm playing on adventurer, I'm sure I'd have wiped a lot on warrior. and yes, I did buff up, but the guy hits through my armor pretty fast.

dumb question time- how do I get to Seahaven? The guard is still blocking the one road I know about and the boat guy won't take me anywhere.
    You need to get to act2 to get to Seahaven, which means you need to clear the earth boss in the temple of elements. If you are in act2, there's a bug where the bridge stays blocked. You can still use the coach, or try starting the game from uplay rather than steam.