Thread: Might and Magic X

Relics can be powerful but they gain experience and level up with you, so they aren't an immediate iwin button.

New Romantic
    I also wish there was a way to have another action hot bar if you press shift. Or is there something like that?

Social Worker
    Looking at the spell list, the Freemage is the only class with access to Dark Magic? That kinda stinks since Dark Magic has the spell that reveals secrets. Hopefully I'll be able to find a new companion who can do that since the one from the chapel left my party after I completed her quest.

Thanks Strusser, that doesn't sounds too overpowered. I like the idea of pieces of gear that level up with you too, just so long as it's only a few pieces.

New Romantic
    There are several ways to reveal secrets :-)

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Razgon View Post
    There are several ways to reveal secrets :-)
    Glad to know it! Can't wait to get back to playing tonight.

So, the lighthouse is not actually all that hard if you have the right spell.

Spoiler: lighthouse
    Yeah, regeneration kicks ass at low level. So you move to a corner to avoid the instadeath attack, you cast regeneration every three turns, your fighters do nothing but defend to avoid his counterattack, your spellcasters do magic damage (fire bolt presumably), and the boss naga goes down pretty fast.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Miramon View Post
    So, the lighthouse is not actually all that hard if you have the right spell.
    Is that at adventurer or warrior difficulty?

Adventurer. Your mileage may vary if you decide to suffer.

Who in blazes would be crazy enough to play on Warrior difficulty for the first play through at this point!?

Re food resources
    Spoiler: food
    There is a vendor in fairly safe territory on the way to Portmeiron that sells supplies up to 9. If you can fight in the lighthouse at all you can get to that vendor.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by ShivaX View Post
    Yeah, do the thieves den first, that place is kinda nasty.
    Where do you get the thieves den quest? I'm in the same position of being unable to beat the lighthouse final boss. My best attempt got his health to about 40%. I need some more levels, obviously.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedTheFreak View Post
    Who in blazes would be crazy enough to play on Warrior difficulty for the first play through at this point!?
    I used to be able to navigate the dungeon in wizardry blind folded.

Also, I'm playing with a (likely mildly) sub-optimal party.

Hard mode: engaged.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Markell View Post
    Where do you get the thieves den quest? I'm in the same position of being unable to beat the lighthouse final boss. My best attempt got his health to about 40%. I need some more levels, obviously.
    I never got one. I just wandered in and introduced myself! That's how we did it old school. No fancy quests. Just make yourself at home.

Oh yeah, it took me a while to realize that some houses and shops have multiple NPCs. Multiple portraits at the top. Click on them to get new conversations including quests. This is no doubt obvious to most, but just in case....

Thieve's Den quest is in the church - this is the point where I slapped my forehead and realized there are multiple people sometimes in buildings to talk to - I went around a second time and found a bunch of vendors, trainers, and quest givers I didn't realize were in town for the longest time.

New Romantic
    To me, these games are all about risk and reward inside a very tight design loop. You push yourself as far as you can without wiping your team. The more risk, the greater the reward.

For instance, if you're plowing through mobs left and right by playing semi-competently, getting a slightly better weapon doesn't really mean that much to you. But if every enemy encounter presents a good challenge, getting even a slight equipment upgrade is cause for celebration. This adds to the reward loop of the design immensely for me.

However, if this also scales the already difficult bosses to such an extreme difficulty that they are simply cheap and you rely on getting good rolls to defeat them, then I will get really frustrated.

Thus why I want the general mobs to be harder, but the bosses the same if not just a slight bit harder.

I'm disappointed that Crusaders can't wield two-handed weapons, despite the fact that the picture of the character shows them wielding a two-handed weapon...

New Romantic
    Thieve's Den quest is in the church - this is the point where I slapped my forehead and realized there are multiple people sometimes in buildings to talk to - I went around a second time and found a bunch of vendors, trainers, and quest givers I didn't realize were in town for the longest time.
    I feel dumb now.

Quote Originally Posted by Miramon View Post
    Re food resources
    Spoiler: food
    There is a vendor in fairly safe territory on the way to Portmeiron that sells supplies up to 9. If you can fight in the lighthouse at all you can get to that vendor.
    Yep, got past that, but what I really want is for supplies sold to be multiplied by 15. So Sorpigal inn would sell 90. That itinerant merchant would sell 135. I don't want to hoard potions all the time, and I don't want to worry about being forced to leave a dungeon via attrition and go back to buy food. I just want to rest after each fight to get my mana back.

The supplies mechanic is particularly stupid, because it's much more punishing in the beginning of the game than the end. I'm fully aware that's a common thread in many old-school RPGs, where the first 5 hours or so is rock hard and then by two-thirds in you have a gazillion gold and magic items coming out your butt, but this is one of those cases where a more modern game design is simply better.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Markell View Post
    I feel dumb now.
    I went through the entire starter town and didn't notice till right before I left so I got to do it all twice.

Hustle
    OK. This is excruciating. I'm still in denial about UPlay, but having printed a copy of the skill chart linked in an earlier post is probably a sign of something. If I resign myself to UPlay, should I create an account first or will I be prompted to create one when I install the game? Is there a reason not to buy it on Steam?

You'll be prompted to create an account, yes.

And why not use a 30% off coupon?

Social Worker
    THERE ARE MULTIPLE NPCS IN BUILDINGS ZOMG.

But thanks for the tip, I had not realized it.

Hustle
    Quote Originally Posted by stusser View Post

Thanks, Stusser!

Quote Originally Posted by stusser View Post

Good deal.

I, too, had NO IDEA that buildings had multiple NPCs. Doh.

Kansas City, MO, Gamertag: Rock8mnky, PSN: Rock8man
    Despite my weakened state, I couldn't resist playing this game as much as I could. I got past the spider lair down the well! Hurray! The game is delightfully old school. I love it. I can't imagine it being a commercial success though. I'm betting most people who haven't played the older games will just be left scratching their heads.

I really wish I could play this game lying on the couch with a controller though. When I'm this sick, sitting on a computer chair for any length of time is just so exhausting, I can't take too much of it.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock8man View Post
    Despite my weakened state, I couldn't resist playing this game as much as I could. I got past the spider lair down the well! Hurray! The game is delightfully old school. I love it. I can't imagine it being a commercial success though. I'm betting most people who haven't played the older games will just be left scratching their heads.

I really wish I could play this game lying on the couch with a controller though. When I'm this sick, sitting on a computer chair for any length of time is just so exhausting, I can't take too much of it.
    I've been playing using a wireless logitech keyboard sitting on my couch using my TV. The game is almost entirely controlled with keyboard, and I just use the track pad for inventory management.

It's not like fumbling around an FPS trying to WASD with a mouse... it works really well given that it's turn based.

New Romantic
    Dev team just did a Q&A session on Reddit:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...just_released/

Social Worker
    I took the chance and bought it. Seems to run fine so far,but so did Heroes 6 for awhile.

Did get a huge grin when I opened the Map and saw it had X and y coordinates.