Thread: Might and Magic X

Broad Band
    What in the hell does a green background mean in the shop?

I can tell you it does NOT mean you can use it.

Hustle
    Quote Originally Posted by Razgon View Post
    The only bad thing so far about the game, is the finite amount of monsters. No respawns, meaning money and xp IS limited.
    Don't areas repopulate after a while, as they did IIRC in previous titles (mind you, could be a long while)?

Looking at those screenshots, the worst part are the generic faces. I miss the goofy actors from M&M VI-VII...

I actually picked this up, having fond memories of earlier Might & Magic stuff. So far, I like it. Took me a while to realize that when I level up I have to go to the skills/spells tab to allocate points, and sometimes the mouseover help on the UI is a bit pokey, but overall, +1. I mean, it's Might & Magic, it is what it is, but if you like that sort of thing, it's pretty solid and fun it seems.

OK, lots of good things, some inexplicable, some buggy. My character portraits sometimes disappear for no apparent reason. Glitches all over. Nothing really disastrous yet, though. I like that you can just go the wrong place and die, but on the other hand, some hand-holding is expected when you're still in the first town, and the difficulty levels are irregular to say the least.

Spoiler: lighthouse
    Like someone should tell you not to go to the nearby lighthouse quest as a n00b because the boss can do 60% damage to the entire party on a hit, and if you don't keep moving away from the roof edge, he can instakill the party. Yet the further-away bandit quest is relatively easy.

It's also very sensitive to what skill and spell choices you've made. For example,
    Spoiler: spell choice
    if your 1st level mage doesn't have fire bolt, you may be in trouble even in the first dungeon.

And as usual, yeah, a native English language copy editor might have been a good idea.

Social Worker
    Alpharetta, GA. Gamertag: TommyTutone GameCenter: DavidHuxley
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotfreak View Post
    I made a Defender, Crusader, Druid, Freemage group, but really can't comment on its efficacy yet.
    I did the same except with a Rune Priest instead of Druid and have had great success so far, although still really early on. I ended up getting them all crossbows to recapture that delightful Might and Magic feel and it's not a complete waste.

Is there a way to initiate combat? I sometimes sneak up on mobs and want to peg them from behind but haven't found a way to initiate combat.
    Also, I have not seen a list of npc benefits yet, sure it's in a manual somewhere, but is there a manual?

Social Worker
    My biggest issue is monster closets. In open fields.

Things get rough in Act2 and having 2+ badasses teleport in behind you while you're already fighting 2-4 other badasses gets old real fast.

If it was a rare thing, I could deal with it, but I've lost count the number of times it has happened. Walk past a clear area, setup to engage some dudes, start fighting, start getting hit from behind, oh look 2 huge dudes teleported in when I triggered the guys I wanted to fight.

Act2 is just brutal.

Yeah, even in the first areas they love triggered teleports based on chests and so on. Who ordered that? More like some lame Bioware idea, not a M&M thing. It's one thing if this is a chest in the wizard's dungeon where he has set up all these traps. It's another if I open a lost chest in the woods and suddenly there are wolves everywhere. Just annoying. On the other hand, everywhere you look is some kind of M&M homage in progress, from the proper names to the sound effects; very cute.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Miramon View Post
    Yeah, even in the first areas they love triggered teleports based on chests and so on. Who ordered that? More like some lame Bioware idea, not a M&M thing. It's one thing if this is a chest in the wizard's dungeon where he has set up all these traps. It's another if I open a lost chest in the woods and suddenly there are wolves everywhere. Just annoying. On the other hand, everywhere you look is some kind of M&M homage in progress, from the proper names to the sound effects; very cute.
    I can even live with chests, its when you see a couple guys in the distance, plan your attack and, oh guys are now behind you from where you came. Because fuck you, that's why.

Just like those goddamn Dragon Age 2 encounters. You always activate the fight, then back away and turn to the side, expecting the stupid teleport ambush. The last resort of the tactically incompetent designer.

Yuck, I hate monsters teleporting behind you into an area you just cleared. Different genre, but I absolutely hated Doom III (I think) because it constantly pop monsters behind you where you just cleared.

Social Worker
    Always loved this series but scared to buy because Heroes6 just stopped working for me a couple of games into the campaign, and Ubi did nothing to help me fix it.
    Last edited by Lloyd Heilbrunn; 01-24-2014 at 09:32 PM.

New Romantic
    Honestly, it's been a while since I pined to get over work, get home and get to playing, but this game has me hankering for more!

Hustle
    Wait, teleporting monsters? Haha, of course. I'm outta here, I had enough of those in XCOM.

Social Worker
    Still can't beat the nasty encounter waiting for you in the lighthouse on level 3; party is 5/5/4/5 or something. So I'm poking around the Thieves den and the planes area in the mean time.

Social Worker
    They made a lot of nice improvements from the Early Access build. Prices on potions, spells and identifying went way up, but at the same time loot is much much better so far too. My casters are doing much better mana wise as they upped the amount you get from putting points into spirit and other skills. Movement is smooth now which is really nice and I like that they added in the barrels of mysterious liquid. I'm playing on the lower difficulty, so I have to assume that folks commenting on how hard it is must be playing on the higher. I get through most fights fine, but the boss fights or multi directional encounters can still be tough. I did go with multiple healing classes though so that helps. I decided on Crusader-Hunter-Druid-Rune Priest. Now that they're level 8 or so, I can definitely feel them getting more powerful compared to the creatures in the first areas.

For people looking for healing, don't forget the Regeneration spell under Earth magic. You can buy it at novice and it gives you're whole group an instant heal plus heals for a couple more rounds.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by peacedog View Post
    Still can't beat the nasty encounter waiting for you in the lighthouse on level 3; party is 5/5/4/5 or something. So I'm poking around the Thieves den and the planes area in the mean time.
    Yeah, do the thieves den first, that place is kinda nasty.

Heh, I went straight to the Lighthouse when it was available, got to the third level, and had to reload and run away. Definitely going to do other stuff first for a while.

I've found regeneration and the shield spell absolutely invaluable. Mana is short so I rarely have enouigh to do anything else; if my casters aren't regenning or shielding they're melee attacking. I chug potions like they're going out of style.

I wish there was a mod that multiplied supplies (for resting) by a factor of say, 15.

I'm loving this. I wish there was a town TP spell to go back and sell / restock, but I haven't seen any monsters respawning yet. I was having so much fun I forgot about my drink!

I hit that with a 3/3/2/3 party. Thought I was doing okay, had some challenges along the way, but the worse was coming out with one party member down. This encounter at least showed me what the death portraits looked like for everyone!

This definitely brings back the old M&M flavor. Why is it that a game with step based movement, straight line range combat, and mediocre graphics brings me such joy and a need to get back into it, I can't explain. While it obviously doesn't compare with the Witcher 2s and Skyrims of the world, I have to say I feel more of a yearning to get back into this game than I did with either of the other titles.

Here's something I just discovered. There are 3 in-game rewards unlocked by spending "uplay points". You get uplay points for finishing ubisoft games, as well as logging in on the iOS and android clients. You can unlock a new hireling, 4 relics, and a "meow" dungeon with these points. I managed to get the relics and hireling but not the dungeon yet. Spend points in the uplay client.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Galadin View Post
    I hit that with a 3/3/2/3 party. Thought I was doing okay, had some challenges along the way, but the worse was coming out with one party member down. This encounter at least showed me what the death portraits looked like for everyone!
    I'm playing on whichever mode is not adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by stusser
    I wish there was a mod that multiplied supplies (for resting) by a factor of say, 15.
    Mixed feelings - on the one hand early gold management is definitely tight and satisfying. On the other, you only get a limited number of resists before having to return home. I like that we need to use the rests (this is a major change from how 6-9 worked); but 6 is a tiny number. Playing on Non Adventurer, I had to rest after every 2 naga combat in the lighthouse. Which was most of them. So it's a bit more back and forth than I prefer. I too have been chugging potions liberally. I am actually low on cure poisons (but I have the spell now), and kind of low on healing pots. But I have plenty of mana pots.

Mind you, I'm using an extremely complicated formula to level my characters called "I'm mostly just throwing points around based on whim, the position of heavenly bodies, and interpretation of space noise" (if your first thought there runs to Jodie Foster sitting in a massive Antena Farm wearing huge headphones and listening for intelligent life, it's basically exactly like that). At 5ish, I've only just gotten 3 people to expert in something. Because I accidentally purchased something and didn't feel like re-loading, I could only purchase an upgrade to expert for one (out in the field currently, I have enough gold for at least one more and then a supply refresh). So I'm running with what is basically a slightly sub-optimal party (setting aside class/starting skill allocations; yes I started my Freemage without a good damage spell but Ifixed that quickly. Sparks is quite nice. As it has always been).

Speaking of UI. . . I like that there's a way to drag "best healing/mana" potion onto the bar. But I hate that I have to relegate part of the bar for each character to pots, and right now "best" is usally inefficent for me so I either need to take up more space or leave the fat pots off the bar. I'd rather there be a separate bar for "genreal use items", say 5 slots, maybe smaller, somewhere else. Not a big deal.

Broad Band
    Also, if I don't pick a skill when the game begins, can I never learn that one?

And is there a spell list?

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by stusser View Post
    Here's something I just discovered. There are 3 in-game rewards unlocked by spending "uplay points". You get uplay points for finishing ubisoft games, as well as logging in on the iOS and android clients. You can unlock a new hireling, 4 relics, and a "meow" dungeon with these points. I managed to get the relics and hireling but not the dungeon yet. Spend points in the uplay client.
    I saw these and picked them up as I logged out last night. I had points saved up from Farcry 3 and Blood Dragon. I wasn't sure if I wanted the relics since I had no idea if they're really overpowered or not, but I figured what the heck and picked them up. Guess I'll find out when I get to play later today. No idea if there will ever be a reason to have friends for these games, but I'm Gundabar on Uplay if anyone wants to add me.

Speaking of UI. . . I like that there's a way to drag "best healing/mana" potion onto the bar. But I hate that I have to relegate part of the bar for each character to pots, and right now "best" is usally inefficent for me so I either need to take up more space or leave the fat pots off the bar. I'd rather there be a separate bar for "genreal use items", say 5 slots, maybe smaller, somewhere else. Not a big deal.
    Yeah I'm not thrilled with how they automatically change the potion to use the best you have. I only have a couple of each medium potion and want to use the lesser ones, but it keeps changing the icons back to the larger potions. Plus hotbar space is at a premium. Once I have more spells it's going to be a bit unwieldy.

Quote Originally Posted by lord_pall View Post
    Also, if I don't pick a skill when the game begins, can I never learn that one?

And is there a spell list?
    You can pick up any of the skills when you level up, they're all listed and you can pick up a new skill for 1 point. I haven't seen a decent spell list yet, but hopefully once someone makes one it'll get posted here.

New Romantic
    I really want the non-boss encounters to be harder but keep the bosses to be the same as they are in adventurer.

The normal encounters are a little too easy, but the bosses are a pain. So conflicted on restarting on warrior... UGH.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinj View Post
    I really want the non-boss encounters to be harder but keep the bosses to be the same as they are in adventurer.

The normal encounters are a little too easy, but the bosses are a pain. So conflicted on restarting on warrior... UGH.
    I hear ya on that. At this point though I think I'm settled on Adventurer. I think I'll save Warrior difficulty for a playthrough down the road with a new party. Maybe for an expansion or with player made adventures after the construction kit gets going.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Shellfishguy View Post
    Yeah I'm not thrilled with how they automatically change the potion to use the best you have. I only have a couple of each medium potion and want to use the lesser ones, but it keeps changing the icons back to the larger potions. Plus hotbar space is at a premium. Once I have more spells it's going to be a bit unwieldy.
    Well you can just drag lesser potions there. Which is a pain sometimes, mind. And yes, in 10 levels there could be quite a bit of clutter.

Social Worker
    I did that last night and at some point it went and changed them back to the larger ones. Then I clicked through all four characters and they had all been changed to the larger ones. I guess I could try having both kinds on the bar and see how that goes. It really only matters for my casters, might work.

And yay spell list!