Thread: Upcoming Dominions 3 Desura Release and New Patch in December

Upcoming Dominions 3 Desura Release and New Patch in December

From http://www.illwinter.com/ :

19th November 2012 - Dominions 3 no longer sold by Shrapnel Games
    Dominions 3 is no longer sold by Shrapnel Games, so it is difficult to buy right now. However we intend to sell Dominions 3 on Desura as soon as possible, hopefully December 1st.

To elaborate somewhat on that, Illwinter's contract for the distribution of Dominions 3 with Shrapnel Games expired a few days ago. Illwinter will publish the game through Desura, the target date being in the quoted section. The pricing on Desura and other such details are yet to be determined (or if they have been, Illwinter is keeping it to themselves).

Furthermore, patch 3.28 is in beta testing at the moment:
    http://ulm.illwinter.com/dom3/dom3progress.html

I figured there might be a bunch of people here who would find this news of interest.

Tom, it may be presumptuous of me to ask, but would this call for a sort of reprisal of Dom3 on the main page of Qt3? Perhaps after Dom3 is released on Desura?

Very cool. Maybe we can get them on Steam through Greenlight if they don't already on their own. I know I would buy it again just to show support and because of all the thousand(s) of hours I have got out of the game and continue to get.
    Last edited by Kelan; 11-19-2012 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Well, maybe hundreds to a thousand hours including Dom2

Wonder if that explains the unprecedented very deep discount recently offered. Maybe Shrapnel was trying to make a last round of sales to all those sitting on the fence for years before handing publishing rights back.

Will also be interesting to see what price it lists on Desura at.

Mad Chester
    Wow. Will the printed manual cease to exist? Will it be offered as a PDF?

It's been offered as a PDF for a while, hasn't it, as part of the digital download option Shrapnel finally offered?

Edit - Duh, I bought a download version for a friend during the special, so I can check myself. Yes, the digital download ships with a PDF.

Mad Chester
    Didn't know (or forgot) that there had been a Shrapel digital download option. Thanks for the update.

With all the patches, the manual probably needs a big update, although I'm guessing all that stuff is now available via wiki or something.

OMG. Such great news. Maybe Dom 3 will get more exposure on another service.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooski View Post
    Didn't know (or forgot) that there had been a Shrapel digital download option. Thanks for the update.

With all the patches, the manual probably needs a big update, although I'm guessing all that stuff is now available via wiki or something.
    There are various "manual errata" threads etc on the shrapnel forum, possible copies elsewhere and some of the errata listed on the Dom3 wiki, but no concentrated effort that I know of to keep an accurate, up to date listing.

If you have the original document from the days when you wrote the manual, updating that would be the best possible thing, because then there would be no need to list errata as a separate appendix. The unit stats section though, good luck with that what with all the statfix changes, rebalancing and similar things done between versions 3.0 and 3.28.

If there is a possibility to update the entire document and export it to PDF, it would be awesome. And if it is possible, I'm willing to pitch in and help track down all the stuff that needs to be looked at.

Mad Chester
    Will my retail key register on Desura?

Details on units, spells, and such are probably better found online especially with the popularity of the CBM mods.

However, I still consult the manual for how specific mechanics work like turn resolution, morale checks, and such. If any of those have changed over the years, it would probably be good to have them updated. Also it seems there were nations added as patches and such that are not in the manual.

You may have to call em up and get a new gig to update it for their new distribution :).

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris99 View Post
    Will my retail key register on Desura?
    Yes, it should. For all the people who bought a retail copy from Shrapnel, some sort of way to redeem the key from that purchase is likely to be set up, but there is no news at the moment.

I will take the issue up with Johan.
    Last edited by Edirr; 11-19-2012 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Added quote

Awesome news. My key is printed in the manual front cover and I'm always worried I'll lose it. It usually lives on my desk but I know if I ever get around to a spring clean, I will "put it somewhere safe" and that will be the last I see of it.

My Dom3 manual is also within arm's reach on my desk (or more accurately, on a shelf above it), but I wrote the key down into a text file where I also have other important stuff so in case the manual goes missing in action, I'll still have it.

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by Edirr View Post
    There are various "manual errata" threads etc on the shrapnel forum, possible copies elsewhere and some of the errata listed on the Dom3 wiki, but no concentrated effort that I know of to keep an accurate, up to date listing.

If you have the original document from the days when you wrote the manual, updating that would be the best possible thing, because then there would be no need to list errata as a separate appendix. The unit stats section though, good luck with that what with all the statfix changes, rebalancing and similar things done between versions 3.0 and 3.28.

If there is a possibility to update the entire document and export it to PDF, it would be awesome. And if it is possible, I'm willing to pitch in and help track down all the stuff that needs to be looked at.
    I was looking through old CDs the other day to find something unrelated, but remember seeing a disc labeled "Dom3 manual backup" so it's likely the files are there. I will check tonight when I get home from work and PM you. Thanks.

Social Worker
    Looks like Illwinter had pleasing results from trying a different pricing model on Desura (and now getting on Steam as well, I guess).
    They started at $30, but now you can get CoE3 for as little as $10.
    Here's hoping Dom3 will be available for less than it used to (and on a sale worth being called one) on Desura as well, then I'm finally sure to pick it up.
    I have to play some more CoE3 in the meantime...
    _____
    rezaf

World's End Supernova
    In my head and it is pretty filthy in here.
    I will totally get it, try to get into it again and end up not having the time or patience and shelving it again for $19.99.

I was looking through old CDs the other day to find something unrelated, but remember seeing a disc labeled "Dom3 manual backup" so it's likely the files are there. I will check tonight when I get home from work and PM you. Thanks.
    Great! Let us know when it's up to date. :)

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by Edirr View Post
    Yes, it should. For all the people who bought a retail copy from Shrapnel, some sort of way to redeem the key from that purchase is likely to be set up, but there is no news at the moment.
    This is awesome, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris99 View Post
    This is awesome, thanks!
    To clarify, I expect that CD keys bought from Shrapnel will work with a Desura downloaded copy without problems. However, whether people who have previously purchased from Shrapnel will get a free Desura copy is something that Illwinter needs to look at.

Any such scheme would entail a crapload of manual work verifying bought keys and no easy way to do that. Otherwise they'd be a prime target for all kinds of scammers looking to get a free copy of the game.

Right now there is no news, but the issue has been raised.

Hustle
    The illwinter webpage had dominions 3 listed at 9.99.Not sure if that is accurate though.

Spinning Toe
    I dont think it will get more exposure unless someone volunteers to "unpaid intern" the position. Illwinters other game (Conquest of Elysium 3) is on Desura, GamersGate, and Steam. There was no PR provided and the forums are pretty light.

Of course Steam did generate a lot of cheap gamers and PR'd itself that way so if Dom3 can get on Steam the same should happen to Dom3. I dont know where they will go for support. Maybe a fan site will take them in. Desura has the "official forum" for CoE3 and does ok but since CoE3 is Dom3 lite that was kindof a light load.

Various efforts exist to trying to scrape the Dom3 forum on Shrapnel to store what is there. Especially the file linked stuff. That is all just in case of course. If Shrapnel keeps to its previous actions then the forum there is likely to stay open.

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by sharaleo View Post
    Awesome news. My key is printed in the manual front cover and I'm always worried I'll lose it. It usually lives on my desk but I know if I ever get around to a spring clean, I will "put it somewhere safe" and that will be the last I see of it.
    Backups are your friend. :)
    If you have even a really REALLY old backup of your harddrive somewhere then your key is a plain ascii file named "key". Illwinter games were created in happy days of trust that are long gone now in the age of encryption.

Spinning Toe

Patch 3.28 Released

The 3.28 patch for Dominions 3 has been released.

But presently since there is no publisher, you need to go to www.Illwinter.com to get it. And there are other tidbits of news available there.

By the way Illwinters other game Conquest of Elysium 3 also has recently released a patch

Social Worker

As a fellow Shrapnel vet, I can tell you Shrapnel was originally extremely adverse to digital downlaods, but eventually came around. Even then, though, the digital download versions were weird and not really industry standard. (For a while, they were offered only as CD images.)

Hustle
    This is news I've been waiting for. It has taken somewhat longer then expected :P

I bought Dominions 2 very shortly before 3 came out and couldn't explain away the high price to buy it again so soon. Also I've never been a fan of the Schrapnel system / webstore to put it mildly.

I missed the mentioned BIG sale, but with this news I'm pretty happy about that, since I really like the Desura system and look forward to buy more games there.

So it coming to Desura is good news and if it has a reasonable price, I might well pick it up there.

Really enjoying COE 3 and while not playing it much at the moment with all the fall games. I'll be picking that one up again soon. I bought COE 3 at launch for full (but reasonable) price by the way and didn't regret that for a moment.

Good move!

Spinning Toe
    ANNOUNCING a Major Necromancy!
    Dominions and Dominions II will be offered on Desura.com