Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Torchlight 2 Release Thread

Spinning Toe
    Anyone else have their shared stash wiped after the patch? Anyone know if this has been fixed yet?

[EDIT] Oh, it says in the forum that a new patch is live now and things are fixed.

New Romantic
    A friend of mine now has a consistent game crash when he teleports to friends, which usually happens after his death. It's only started happening since this patch so I just thought I'd put it out there for the devs.

Quote Originally Posted by McKnight View Post
    A friend of mine now has a consistent game crash when he teleports to friends, which usually happens after his death. It's only started happening since this patch so I just thought I'd put it out there for the devs.
    While it's true that at least one of the devs post here frequently, you might want to post that and any other information (or have your friend do it) right at the Runic Games Torchlight 2 Technical Support forum page.

New Romantic
    Will do now, thanks.

-edit- It seems like it could be to do with Act 2 rather then the recent patch.
    Last edited by McKnight; 09-23-2012 at 12:03 PM.

Spinning Toe
    I wonder if I may have found a bug.

I'm playing act II single player right now, and I'm really looking forward to finding some new gear, as my level 30 outlander is starting to feel pretty underpowered. I began to really pay attention to what was dropping in hopes of some pretty purple or orange colors, and realized that normal mobs simply were not dropping any weapons or armor. Potions and gold were dropping occasionally, but the only enemies dropping gear were elites. I payed attention to this throughout two full floors of a dungeon, and no normal mob ever dropped anything I could equip.

I'm reloading my game now to see if that fixes the problem, or maybe I'm just getting improbably unlucky, but I doubt it.

Damn. I am enjoying the hell out of smashing foes with my greatsword.

Social Worker
    Is it possible to look in the file that has all of the loading screen tips?

How To Go
    Can you not go back to a previous Acts locations?

I'm level 20, got a few orange drops including 2 orange trinket in 2 orange weapon. Screenie below.

2012-09-23_00001 by Reemul, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by forgeforsaken View Post
    Can you not go back to a previous Acts locations?
    I just did after remembering an unfinished Act I quest. Quest progress is retained but it seems that the map reverts back to its unexplored state.

World's End Supernova
    Has anyone gotten any synergy going in co-op? I'm a close-range engineer playing with a long-range embermage. We mostly do our own thing. He has some spells that boost my elemental damage, but they're pretty short and we mostly forget about them.

Maybe I should look at the embermage skills to see if there are any combo opportunities. Some sort of debuff on boss monsters would be nice, like vulnerability to fire/elecricity, the engineer's specialty.

Quote Originally Posted by barstein View Post
    I just did after remembering an unfinished Act I quest. Quest progress is retained but it seems that the map reverts back to its unexplored state.
    Yeah that threw me off. We couldn't remember if we had completed one of the dungeons in Act II. Jumped in there and the map was unexplored, but the layout was the same as before. I must be missing something because that seems like a misleading way to do it.

New Romantic
    You can grab a skill that adds a huge amount of Elec damage to your melee attacks when a character is stunned. Embermage has a giant ice spell that has a large chance to stun everything inside it, oh and did I mention at higher ranks it makes enemies weak to Elec damage? Heal bot refreshes mana aswell as health after a bit, there's plenty more aswell that's just all I got off the top of my head.

World's End Supernova
    Yeah I was about to mention the electricity combo. The problem is I can only take advantage of it once every 3 seconds. I do Seismic Slam often enough that I can make my own stuns. The electricity vulnerability looks like it lasts a little longer though. I'll see if my buddy is interested in that skill.

New Romantic
    Just make sure you pick up that Shield Break skill, just one point mind you as it scales from Weapon DPS but your Embermage friend will thank you a ton for it as most of their shit is AoE and awful at breaking them.

Oh also Forcefield is ridiculously good in group play, especially if you get it to T2 (don't go further then that though, it's lvl 43) as a full shield powered with at least one charge can basically double your Mage friends health bar :)

Gahhh I'm well into act 2 and still can't find a "heal other" spell for my pet. I am perturbed by this.

Hustle
    Quote Originally Posted by barstein View Post
    Only the last few levels you've been to are saved, they'll eventually respawn. In multiplayer they'll use the owners random seed and you'll see them respawn more often. I never really mind this, it's another shot at loot.

Social Worker
    I am really enjoying the end game with the map room.

World's End Supernova
    Just make sure you pick up that Shield Break skill, just one point mind you as it scales from Weapon DPS but your Embermage friend will thank you a ton for it as most of their shit is AoE and awful at breaking them.
    Cool I figured that. I try to break shields when I notice those enemies approaching.

Oh also Forcefield is ridiculously good in group play, especially if you get it to T2 (don't go further then that though, it's lvl 43) as a full shield powered with at least one charge can basically double your Mage friends health bar :)
    I probably won't bother with it since I'm going for a different style. My friend actually has more health and armor than I do. He's more careful about loot and put a lot into vitality. It's nice because when I jump into a pack of enemies and die, he can run away so I can teleport to him!

Hustle
    Quote Originally Posted by JMR View Post
    Is it possible to look in the file that has all of the loading screen tips?
    Yeah, but it's easier if I just post them:
    Spoiler: tips!
    Click on the Send Pet To Town icon in your pet's inventory or near his health badge to send them off to sell your excess items, so that you can keep adventuring.
    Hold [ALT] to see any items scattered on the ground, or toggle this view with the magnifying glass icon.
    Use the mouse-wheel to zoom in and out. Clicking the mouse-wheel button will reset your view.
    Holding [SHIFT] while attacking will force you to remain in place during combat.
    Holding [SHIFT] while clicking on an item will cause your pet to run and pick it up.
    Holding [SHIFT] while clicking on an item in a Merchant screen will instantly sell or buy it.
    Unidentified items may be identified by using an identify scroll. Right-click on the item to identify it if and it will automatically use any identify scrolls you have.
    Left-click on monsters to attack them. Hold the left mouse button down to continuously attack.
    Right-click to use your currently assigned skill or spell. You can also use TAB to switch between it and an alternate skill, noted on the right skill interface at the bottom of the screen.
    When you gain a level, remember to assign any points you may have earned to improve your player's attributes. These attributes increase damage and improve defenses.
    Feed fish to your pet to turn them into creatures with varying abilities, strengths, and weaknesses.
    Press M to toggle the minimap, and use the [ and ] keys to zoom in and out.
    Some equipment can only be used if you meet level or stat requirements. Requirements you don't currently meet are displayed in red.
    If you find yourself dying too much, try to increase your armor. Higher armor equipment reduces damage that monsters deal to you.
    Elemental Armors, like Fire Armor, help reduce the elemental damage you take, as well as reducing the chance of harmful effects, like Burning.
    Purple Damage numbers mean you have 'fumbled' the attack, which reduces damage. Press [ J ] to view the Arcane Statistics Panel and learn about this and other combat mechanics.
    Your Pet can now buy basic items like potions and scrolls from town. Check out the fourth tab in your pet's inventory to access the Shopping List. Items purchased this way will be added to your inventory when your pet returns.
    Green items have minor enchantments. Blue items are more rare and powerful. Gold items are unique and have the best enchantments. Purple items are related to quests.
    Holding [CTRL] while attacking will only move you or use a skill if you have a target highlit. This is useful to prevent inadvertent movement during fast combat.
    If you find good loot which your character can't use, consider trading it with another player or keeping it in your Shared Stash for your other characters to use.
    If you are wielding two similar weapons, like any two melee weapons or two pistols, you have a chance to Execute, striking with both weapons at one time. Investing in your Focus attribute improves this chance.
    Passive skills are always in effect, but sometimes you need to have the right weapon equipped.
    In Multi-Player games, the monsters you fight will do more damage to you and take more damage to defeat, based on the numbers of players nearby. Those nearby players will also get full experience for each monster killed.
    In Multi-Player games, any loot that you find will be visible only to you. Feel free to take everything! The other players will get their own loot.
    Claw weapons are fast, but don't hit adjacent monsters. Hammers tend to be slow but interrupt monster attacks and skills. Axes do more consistent damage. Polearms have longer range.
    Most melee weapons do Splash Damage, hitting adjacent monsters in an arc in front of you. Two-handed weapons have longer and wider arcs and do a larger amount of damage to these Splash targets.
    Cannons and Shotgonnes attack multiple enemies in wide, but short arcs. Crossbows have the longest range. Pistols are fast, but have shorter range. Bows have an average range.
    Wands and Staves do mostly elemental damage, which tends to be useful for Embermage skills and perhaps any character investing in Focus.
    Remember to feed Fish to your Pet! It will make your pet stronger and give you a critical combat boost when the going gets tough. Look for fishing holes in the wilderness.
    The damage you do is reduced by your target's Armor; more Armor means less damage. Attacks can score a Critical Hit, doing extra damage. Check the Arcane Statistics panel for more combat details.
    Most enchanters can enchant any item two times. Others are more skilled and can grant a third or fourth enchantment! Enchanters can also remove existing enchantments allowing items to be enchanted again.
    Don't save your Ember for later! Use them in any piece of equipment with an open Socket. You will find better varieties soon, and the ancient art of combining gems to make better ones has been lost in this era.
    Higher level monsters do more Damage and have more Armor and Health. These key combat statistics make fighting monsters above your own an increasingly difficult task.
    The [Z] key will drink your best Health Potion. The [X] key will drink your best Mana Potion. [Shift-Z] key will heal your pet instead of you.
    Press the [Space Bar] to quickly close any currently open interface panels. If no panels are open, instead it will access your Inventory and Character panels.
    When quest items are picked up, they are stored in your Quest Log [Q], not in your inventory
    Fire damage can randomly cause enemies to Burn, doing extra damage over 3 to 7 seconds. Burning bypasses armor and is good for taking down tougher enemies.
    Ice damage can randomly cause enemies to Freeze, slowing their attacks, skills and movement by 33% for 3 to 4 seconds.
    Electrical damage has a chance to randomly Shock enemies for 3 to 5 seconds. When you hit a shocked target, the impact releases 3 small Charged Bolts that can strike multiple targets up to 10 meters away.
    Poison damage has a chance to randomly Poison enemies, reducing their armor and damage dealing by 33% for 3 to 5 seconds.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim James View Post
    Cool I figured that. I try to break shields when I notice those enemies approaching.

I probably won't bother with it since I'm going for a different style. My friend actually has more health and armor than I do. He's more careful about loot and put a lot into vitality. It's nice because when I jump into a pack of enemies and die, he can run away so I can teleport to him!
    Haha I see, very nice :)

I went two-handed on my engineer so I felt the FF was definitely needed but obviously if you are sword/boarding it or using cannons it's much less of a big deal.

World's End Supernova
    Holding [SHIFT] while clicking on an item will cause your pet to run and pick it up.
    Press M to toggle the minimap, and use the [ and ] keys to zoom in and out.
    Cool thanks. These might come in handy.

I went two-handed on my engineer so I felt the FF was definitely needed but obviously if you are sword/boarding it or using cannons it's much less of a big deal.
    No, pretty much just a glass cannon. I posted the build a couple times before. He's not that fragile, but 4 hits at once from average-to-large enemies is enough to make me say "oh shit." Occasionally I die if the numbers add up the right way. But like that article mentions, Onslaught is nice for leaping out of the fray too.

Social Worker
    Just found a lootable corpse named "Chester Copperpot" which dropped "One Eyed Willy's Other Eye"

This game delivers.

Kansas City, MO, Gamertag: Rock8mnky, PSN: Rock8man
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendelius View Post
    I used just that option for my wife's account yesterday. It's on the Steam log on dialog.

Start by asking to retrieve a lost account (bottom option):

Then select "I know my account name" and enter your account name:

They will email you a code which lets you reset your password.

Wendelius
    Thanks Wendelius. That worked. Now I know my new password. Off to Torchlight 2!

I played through the end of the demo with my engineer on the veteran difficulty level and it was still pretty easy. I did die a couple times, but it was more that I was careless with my healing potions. For those who have played past this part, does the game ever require any type of strategy? When surrounded I use my skill that has a chance to stun nearby enemies. When attacking a tough single enemy I use the power that sends out a fire blast. I just got the one that puts up a shield so I have used that too.

For the most part it is just run up to an enemy, click, repeat and use healing if necessary. Throw in some stun when needed. It is too much of a pain to swap out armor depending upon the enemy (i.e. put on fire armor or cold armor depending upon enemy) so I don't bother doing that.

Am I missing something, or is this probably just not for me. It bugs me when so many people are talking about how great the game is and I just don't see it. It doesn't really feel like it needs action skills like a FPS does and it doesn't feel like it needs and brain power like a good strategy game. I'm just coming off of playing Dark Souls where the combat feels like it takes some skill so it is probably compounding my dislike of the repetitive clickiness of Torchlight 2. For me Torchlight seems like something you fire up when you don't want to be taxed very much, like a prettier more action-oriented game of solitaire.

Pillow Talk
    Quote Originally Posted by robc04 View Post
    Am I missing something, or is this probably just not for me. It bugs me when so many people are talking about how great the game is and I just don't see it. It doesn't really feel like it needs action skills like a FPS does and it doesn't feel like it needs and brain power like a good strategy game. I'm just coming off of playing Dark Souls where the combat feels like it takes some skill so it is probably compounding my dislike of the repetitive clickiness of Torchlight 2. For me Torchlight seems like something you fire up when you don't want to be taxed very much, like a prettier more action-oriented game of solitaire.
    It's not really about sophisticated combat, games like this are about a) your build of skills and abilities b) Loot c) Did I mention LOOT. If you like that kind of game then Torchlight 2 is for you, but I imagine it would be pretty boring if not.

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by robc04 View Post
    For those who have played past this part, does the game ever require any type of strategy? When surrounded I use my skill that has a chance to stun nearby enemies. When attacking a tough single enemy I use the power that sends out a fire blast.
    You've got it. I like the combos and managing the resources and positions. It satisfies a different part of my brain than strategy games.

It bugs me when so many people are talking about how great the game is and I just don't see it.
    Yeah this is one of the worst feelings in all of videogame playing. Sorry. You should've been hooked by the end of the demo. I'd go play something else.

I'm just coming off of playing Dark Souls where the combat feels like it takes some skill so it is probably compounding my dislike of the repetitive clickiness of Torchlight 2.
    The Dark Souls snobs are complaining about combat in Diablolikes now!! Hehe just kidding (sort of).

World's End Supernova
    Unfortunately I don't think Travis was exactly right about the level scaling. (He can clarify if I'm wrong.) He mentioned in the podcast that new zones will scale to your level when you arrive, but you might get overleveled by the end of the zone if you do everything. We got to Act III tonight and we're 3 levels too high for the maximum recommended level of the first area. :(

Framerate slowdown is brutal in certain parts of the Act III overworld. I'll be at 40 fps just standing in some parts. None of the shadow or particle effect settings made much of a difference. After the patch I still get a lot of slowdown during heavy action.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim James View Post
    Yeah I was about to mention the electricity combo. The problem is I can only take advantage of it once every 3 seconds.
    McKnight, I made a mistake about the Coup de Grace skill. It can trigger once every second, which is slower than I can swing my weapon anyway! I like that skill a lot more now.

I've really enjoyed the weapon progression in this game. I've had 3 or 4 great ones that lasted a long time. It gives me a chance to appreciate them. Just found a new space marine hammer (glowing blue with electricity damage) for the next few hours.

Social Worker
    There is something weird going on with the embermage passive Prismatic Rift.

Either the skill is being extended to my pet or it is being triggered by ranged attacks from enemies attacking me. Whatever the case, this behavior make the skill less desirable because I am ending up with enemies teleporting across the screen and ending up right next to me.

Thanks for the replies Evermourn and Tim. I finished the first Torchlight and didn't really like it. I played Titan's Quest and quit because I got bored with it, and now the Torchlight 2 demo didn't grab me. I think I will finally take the hint and accept these games are not a good match for me :-).

TL2 does seem a little better than TL1. I'm glad the rest of you are liking it and I hope you continue to get lots of enjoyment out of it. Maybe I'll give Faster Than Light a try!

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrycoder View Post
    Just found a lootable corpse named "Chester Copperpot" which dropped "One Eyed Willy's Other Eye"

This game delivers.
    I smiled at the achievement for sending your pet back to town: Fetch a Fair Price. That's a better reaction than I have for most achievement names!