Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Master - PTA Does Scientology(?)

How To Go

The Master - PTA Does Scientology(?)

The Master is Paul Thomas Anderson's upcoming movie, and one that's been pretty much kept under wraps. It's long believed to be his take on Scientology, which also helps explain why it's been "under wraps."

It's got Philip Seymour Hoffman as a guy who creates a religious system in post-WW2 America. Amy Adams is in. And so is Joaquin. In fact, you can watch a clip of Joaquin here.

Goodluck!!
    Wow. I can't think of the last time I saw a trailer that good.

Social Worker
    The NYT had an interesting article about the production. I can't imagine that the Scientology folks will let it go unopposed, but perhaps that will just add to the publicity effort.

World's End Supernova
    Hate him if you must, but damn if Joaquin can't act. I get no Scientology flavor from the trailer but I'm all for anything that sticks it to the fucks.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Houngan View Post
    Hate him if you must.
    Why the fuck would people hate him, he's an incredible actor. Okay, I know the whole rap thing spoof was enough to piss people off, but other than that? Can't wait to see this movie, I wonder if it will really reveal anything about Scientology and the hold it supposedly has on Hollywood.

Mad Chester
    There's something about this trailer I'm not sure about. I think it will be great though. But something is just...a bit off somehow.

How To Go
    Phoenix looks a bit odd in this trailer; strangely aged where you know he shouldn't look that way.

Not sure what Scientology can do about it, because apparently it's not mentioned by name (nor are any of the names). And I suppose the religion is faith-based (according to IMDB), which Scientology kinda... isn't. The timeframe is roughly the same (LRH came up with the idea in the 40s, in the Navy, while serving in the rear echelon and becoming hospitalized, probably also where his hatred for psychology developed), however.

--- Alan

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by robsam View Post
    Why the fuck would people hate him, he's an incredible actor. Okay, I know the whole rap thing spoof was enough to piss people off, but other than that? Can't wait to see this movie, I wonder if it will really reveal anything about Scientology and the hold it supposedly has on Hollywood.
    Don't you swear at me.

Goodluck!!
    Looks very compelling. I love how ambiguous and expressive it is. The pairing of Phoenix with Hoffman really is intriguing, let's hope it doesn't end up a dud like Daniel Day Lewis with Paul Dano in his last movie.

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcJR View Post
    a dud like Daniel Day Lewis with Paul Dano in his last movie.
    What.

Goodluck!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sören Höglund View Post
    What.
    I just don't think Paul Dano could compete and that dragged the whole film down for me. Watch his older work and see how well he handled larger than life ensemble casts.

Scenic Northern NJ Gamertag: JoshuaMarshall
    I just don't think Paul Dano could compete and that dragged the whole film down for me. Watch his older work and see how well he handled larger than life ensemble casts.
    Just for the historical record... you called There Will be Blood a dud?

World's End Supernova TimElhajj's Avatar
    Was he drinking the oil coming out of the torpedo? Ah, he was.

How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by TimElhajj View Post
    Was he drinking the oil coming out of the torpedo? Ah, he was.
    I suspected the torps must be using some kind of alcohol for fuel, but man, that's naaaaaasty.

Mad Chester
    According to that wiki he'd be getting violent shits or blindness drinking that without distilling first.

Broad Band
    Probably explains why he doesn't remember what happened on the way back.

World's End Supernova TimElhajj's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory Stewart View Post
    According to that wiki he'd be getting violent shits or blindness drinking that without distilling first.
    *sometimes*

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia article
    the effects of drinking torpedo juice sometimes included mild or severe reactions to the poison, and the drink's reputation developed an early element of risk.
    Heh. Maybe he was one of the "lucky" few.

Goodluck!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mono View Post
    Just for the historical record... you called There Will be Blood a dud?
    I actually quite liked the movie, to an extent.
    I just found the interaction between Daniel Day Lewis and Paul Dano disappointingly uneven. Scenes that required any chemistry between them ended up feeling forced and uninteresting. In other words, their relationship had about as much spark as the proverbial 'dud' (despite Day Lewis' fine performance.)
    Paul Dano, I felt, was just way out of his depth. And seeing that an important aspect of the movie was this epic clash of personalities, I found that that unevenness greatly undermined the impact of the movie.
    But then again, who am I to judge? The film's still head and shoulders above a great deal many other films, it's just that this is a Paul Thomas Anderson joint and I kind of 'judged' it on that level.

'I know fucking karate' - Dirk Diggler

Mad Chester
    And seeing that an important aspect of the movie was this epic clash of personalities, I found that that unevenness greatly undermined the impact of the movie.
    That's interesting, I saw their relationship more about the weakness of Dano's character, the flimsy, slimy falseness. I don't want to say Lewis was stronger morally, because that's certainly not the point the film is making, but I found Dano electric in his almost pathological sycophancy.

Goodluck!!
    That's interesting, I saw their relationship more about the weakness of Dano's character, the flimsy, slimy falseness. I don't want to say Lewis was stronger morally, because that's certainly not the point the film is making, but I found Dano electric in his almost pathological sycophancy.
    Sure that's perfectly fine, you take whatever you want away from the film. I thought Dano's performance was fine and I'd normally leave it at that, but my little peeve stems more from the fact that in the end it just couldn't match up to Lewis' performance.
    The Assassination of Jesse James however really nails this.

Mad Chester
    The Assassination of Jesse James however really nails this.
    I agree that Casey Affleck's performance feels stronger, though I think a large part of that is the fact that Assass of JJ is primarily about Affleck's character, TWBB isn't about Dano's.

Goodluck!!
    I agree that Casey Affleck's performance feels stronger, though I think a large part of that is the fact that Assass of JJ is primarily about Affleck's character, TWBB isn't about Dano's.
    Point taken, but Brad Pitt's performance is no throwaway either, something I wouldn't necessarily say about Paul Dano's performance... (Man I can't believe how mean I'm being to Paul Dano!)

Mad Chester
    (Man I can't believe how mean I'm being to Paul Dano!)
    I dunno, he's pretty bad in Little Miss Sunshine!

Broad Band

Mad Chester
    I am sold on the second trailer. Looks fantastic.

Social Worker
    Both those trailers are amazing.

Based on the title and the subject matter, I was initially hoping that this movie was based on Charles Portis's incredible novel, Masters of Atlantis. Masters of Atlantis is also the story of a returning vet who attempts to found a religion/secret society based on the lost writings of Atlantis. His first adherent is an Englishman who ambitions for the society put the two of them at odds. I would love to see an Anderson version of this book starring Joaquin Phoenix and Philip Seymour Hoffman but the more details that dribble out the more it sounds like Hubbard and Scientology were the inspiration.

Either way, this looks great and I can't wait to see it.

Social Worker

Similarities here are not too subtle, really.

Neo Acoustic
    I... can't get over how good Joaquin Phoenix is. I've never seen him in anything before. He's.. stunning. It's amazing. I might have a new favourite actor.

I couldn't resist since these trailers are heavy on mood/performance and light on story/spoilers, but now I'm done watching previews for this movie. Looks amazing. I wish he could make four films a year.

Neo Acoustic
    He's a fantastic actor and this looks very, very interesting - even if I'm no big fan of PTA (or TWBB).