Thread: How to get ripped DVD to iPhone?

How To Go
    Mayberry, USA XBL:schaduwbeeld PSN:slow__hand

How to get ripped DVD to iPhone?

I rented a movie to watch on my trip today (flight to Indianapolis, fwiw) and then last night my DVD player for my netbook "broke." No time to get a new one for the trip, don't want to lug my big laptop just for the movie.

So - ripped it to my big notebook and want to put it on my iPhone to watch, but have no idea how to do that. The ripped DVD format is an audio TS_folder (with nothing in it) and a video TS_folder that has a bunch of .BUP, .IFO, and .VOB files.

Thanks!

How To Go
    OK, trying Handbrake on someone's recommendation, if anyone has another/better way, please let me know.

How To Go
    Can't you just transfer the DVD rip to your netbook and play it directly from that?

Also, I used DVDFab to convert stuff to a portable format for my trip overseas back in December. Worked great. Fast and painless. Not free, alas, but the free trial is fully functional.

New Romantic
    Handbrake is the way.

If you have a sandy bridge (or ivy bridge) CPU and plan on doing a lot of video compression for your phone or tablet, consider picking up software that supports intel quicksync. It's really, really fast, dramatically faster than even GPU-assisted encoding.

How To Go
    You can't use it if you're using discrete video as your primary card can you?

Social Worker
    Yes, that's the beauty of it - as long as it's active, even if you are using a dGPU, the iGPU can be used for transcoding.
    The software you need comes with the motherboard.

(If you're not using it, then it will save energy to disable the iGPU in the BIOS. I just turn it on when I know I'll be doing transcoding that week)

How To Go
    don't you need your mobo manufacturer to paid oem fees for the Virtu driver? my mini itx sandy bridge mobo from asus doesn't have support while the full atx and micro atx boards do.

http://www.arcsoft.com/Forum/forum_p...not-recognised

Yeah, looks like my mobo still isn't supported and QuickSync will only work if you use:

1) the onboard intel GPU exclusively
    2) or have a mobo supported by Virtu driver
    Last edited by rei; 05-06-2012 at 01:12 PM.

Social Worker
    Oh, well, certain motherboards where they expect you to use the iGPU might need to buy the software, but mainstream boards all come with it...

How To Go
    Using ArcSoft MediaConverter 7 (ATI users have to uninstall the latest AVIVO or as they call it now AMD Media Codec Pack http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...downloads.aspx and install an older one from the 11.x series http://freewindriver.com/1176/downlo...istawindows-7/ or else the transcoding bugs out/fails) my results were as follows:

Core i5-2400 2.8GHz Sandy Bridge, ATI AMD Radeon HD6850 1GB
    You can adjust the # of cores used by MediaConverter:

A 550MB 720p episode of Community (MKV)

1) 1 CPU core, GPU-assist: 15min -970mb
    2) 4 CPU cores, GPU-assist: 7.5min -970mb
    3) 4 CPU cores, no GPU-assist: 4.5min -208mb

WTF? Seems like GPU assist is ...crap.

How To Go
    4) 15min and 574mb with Handbrake. Less blurry looking than what came out of MediaEncoder and MediaEspresso.
    5) 1 min and 520mb with GotSent.

GotCent works wonders with MKV files so there's no transcoding at all, changing them to MP4 for playback on 360/PS3/Apple.

Won't help with a DVD rip though.
    Last edited by rei; 05-06-2012 at 09:38 PM.

How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by stusser View Post
    If you have a sandy bridge (or ivy bridge) CPU and plan on doing a lot of video compression for your phone or tablet, consider picking up software that supports intel quicksync. It's really, really fast, dramatically faster than even GPU-assisted encoding.
    Very cool, I use Powerdirector 10 as my primary video editing program and it is on their list. I am also looking to purchase a new notebook (this one is 5 years old) and it will be an Ivy Bridge 3rd gen Intel chip. Should be good when I upgrade.

Ivy bridge is even faster yet. Quicksync is truly amazing technology.

Social Worker
    I've used HandBrake (they have pre-set configs for iOS devices) and then just used iTunes to ship it over. Worked great, though HandBrake's UI leaves much to be desired.

How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by ReptileHouse View Post
    I've used HandBrake (they have pre-set configs for iOS devices) and then just used iTunes to ship it over. Worked great, though HandBrake's UI leaves much to be desired.
    Handbrake worked for this, though it was pretty slow on this 5 year old M1710 laptop. I did notice that the output formats were limited to only .MP4 and .MKV - seems odd that a video conversion program would only provide those options for output.

Broad Band
    What's the best program for batch jobs? I have a hundred or so small AVIs to be moved to iPad/iPhone. I can use handbrake and queue them individually, but this is a long and tedious process. I'd like a program that I could multi-select entries or grab an entire directory and batch convert. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffL View Post
    Handbrake worked for this, though it was pretty slow on this 5 year old M1710 laptop. I did notice that the output formats were limited to only .MP4 and .MKV - seems odd that a video conversion program would only provide those options for output.
    If my understanding is correct, the container (AVI, MP4, MKV) matters less than the encoding (XVid, DivX, H.264, etc.) for most modern devices. I suspect there's still a lot of power there.

The container matters too. I don't believe MKV will work on the iPhone. Use MP4.

How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by rei View Post
    Using ArcSoft MediaConverter 7 (ATI users have to uninstall the latest AVIVO or as they call it now AMD Media Codec Pack http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...downloads.aspx and install an older one from the 11.x series http://freewindriver.com/1176/downlo...istawindows-7/ or else the transcoding bugs out/fails) my results were as follows:

Core i5-2400 2.8GHz Sandy Bridge, ATI AMD Radeon HD6850 1GB
    You can adjust the # of cores used by MediaConverter:

A 550MB 720p episode of Community (MKV)

1) 1 CPU core, GPU-assist: 15min -970mb
    2) 4 CPU cores, GPU-assist: 7.5min -970mb
    3) 4 CPU cores, no GPU-assist: 4.5min -208mb

WTF? Seems like GPU assist is ...crap.
    An update with a $500 laptop: dual-core i5-2450M (2.5GHz) with Intel Sandy Bridge QuickSync:

4) 2 CPU cores, GPU-assist: 6.5min - 247mb (vs 18min in HandBrake)

Looks like we have a winner for laptops. QuickSync does make cut the time down considerably making the dual-core lappy transcode as fast as my quad-core desktop. Quality is less muddier than the ATI assist, but not as sharp as Handbrake.
    Last edited by rei; 05-20-2012 at 11:57 PM.