Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Google Drive

World's End Supernova
    I guess we'll see how it shakes out. I like DropBox a lot but I'm not adverse to switching if something equally as easy to use comes along. I mean, DropBox has a really good track record with me ... good speed, 100% reliable, nothing ever fucks up. It's magic.

I don't have to do ANYTHING besides save my files in the DropBox folder. It would take that exact same level of simplicity to get me to consider switching to be honest.

As for the price, well $10 a month isn't exactly a back breaker for me. Someone offering me a 75% savings on that isn't really all that compelling.

All the competitors offer the exact same thing at 25% of the cost. They just have to iron out a couple bugs.

World's End Supernova
    Yeah, OK. :) As I said, cost isn't the determining factor for me here so I'll need a compelling reason to switch. We'll see who offers one!

I wouldn't expect anything particularly compelling to come along for awhile. They're all basically identical.

Scenic Northern NJ Gamertag: JoshuaMarshall
    The feature I like in both SugarSync and Cubby is the ability to right-click any folder on your computer and flag it for sync. You don't need to create folder hierarchy within your My Dropbox folder. They both also integrate into the Windows context menu to allow you to get public links or add a folder to the service. Sugar Sync pricing is about on par w/ Dropbox though, so still too expensive.

World's End Supernova
    The feature I like in both SugarSync and Cubby is the ability to right-click any folder on your computer and flag it for sync
    Frankly, that would do it for me. I really don't LIKE having to put everything in the DB folder, I'm just used to it at this point.

World's End Supernova Brian Rubin's Avatar
    For some reason, I found I preferred DB to SS because of its one folder. It helps me be more organized in my brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Rubin View Post
    For some reason, I found I preferred DB to SS because of its one folder. It helps me be more organized in my brain.
    There's nothing stopping you from putting everything in the SS 'Magic Briefcase' default folder.

It's like people against save-anywhere games. If they have the option, they just can't stop themselves!

Social Worker
    Well, from my personal experience, having done this for a week, now, Google Drive is performing marvelously.

My specific situation is that I'm looking for an inexpensive cloud-based backup solution that doesn't require any additional software other than what we're already using. On a nightly basis, I push about 28GB into the GDrive folder, which is mostly a new version of the 38GB of files that I pushed in there on the first day -- my backups being incrementals. We gather about 300MB of new data each day, and dispense with a nearly equal amount.

At first, the system choked on syncing that much at one given time, but it caught up to me. The default sync-trickle allowed me to push that much data without impacting the office's cable feed in any noticeable way.

YMMV. We went with GDrive because we're already Google Apps customers, and this was a right-click-add 200GB to an account sort of thing.

New Romantic
    I don't (didn't) pay for my dropbox, it was on a client, so that wasn't a factor.
    The problem was the new interface is a POS.

Left it uploading onto skydrive this morning, set up my shares again already. I'd of happily stuck with Dropbox if it hadn't changed it's interface like that.

World's End Supernova
    I guess if you need to use the interface, whatever that is, it might make a difference to you. I didn't even know DropBox HAD an interface until this thread.

The need for a web browser to make use of any of these services is a big detraction.

New Romantic
    To you, perhaps. But I don't want to have to keep special directories in a dozen different projects specifically for dropbox (since the unfinished versions of docs in most of them is NOT something I want to share). It is a headache for my versioning as well.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    To you, perhaps. But I don't want to have to keep special directories in a dozen different projects specifically for dropbox (since the unfinished versions of docs in most of them is NOT something I want to share). It is a headache for my versioning as well.
    Agreed. Do any of these solutions allow something like symbolic links (or directory by directory control, like Mesh)?

New Romantic
    Possibly, but given I also often use client's PC's that's not really the answer. I /was/ entirely happy with using the old dropbox UI.

Looks like Skydrive is where I'm moving to for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleck View Post
    Agreed. Do any of these solutions allow something like symbolic links (or directory by directory control, like Mesh)?
    Scroll up. Sugar Sync and the upcoming Cubby (from Logmein) allow you to flag any directory on your system for sync. You don't need to maintain specific folders.

Neo Acoustic
    Quote Originally Posted by mono View Post
    Scroll up. Sugar Sync and the upcoming Cubby (from Logmein) allow you to flag any directory on your system for sync. You don't need to maintain specific folders.
    Yes Sugarsync is great for that. Also, I have two cubby invites if anyone wants them though I haven't used it much yet so I can't comment on how good it is/isn't. Just pm me your email address if interested.

How To Go
    Seattlish. XBL:Editer PSN:DennyA These are my opinions, not my employer's, but they should be yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by mono View Post
    The need for a web browser to make use of any of these services is a big detraction.
    Huh? I didn't use a web browser with Dropbox, and I don't now with Skydrive since I switched to it. You just treat the Skydrive (dropbox, and I assume Google Drive) folder like any other folder on your PC and save there. Then I can also access the docs in that folder from my MacBook, tablet, phone, etc.

Or maybe you mean for sharing? I don't use these services for that, so maybe you need the web to flag files for that.

I have both Dropbox and SkyDrive now. SkyDrive for most of my files, Dropbox for those that I need to share. Total space available? 43GB.. why not?

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    Huh? I didn't use a web browser with Dropbox, and I don't now with Skydrive since I switched to it. You just treat the Skydrive (dropbox, and I assume Google Drive) folder like any other folder on your PC and save there. Then I can also access the docs in that folder from my MacBook, tablet, phone, etc.

Or maybe you mean for sharing? I don't use these services for that, so maybe you need the web to flag files for that.
    But dude, didn't you say the ability to edit Office documents easily on the website is one reason to use SkyDrive? :-\

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post

I did mean for sharing. 2 or 3 of these services allow you to create a public link to a file just by right-clicking and using the app's integrated context menu. Very useful to skirt around large email attachment issues, or quickly linking images on forums, etc.

How To Go
    Seattlish. XBL:Editer PSN:DennyA These are my opinions, not my employer's, but they should be yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Rubin View Post
    But dude, didn't you say the ability to edit Office documents easily on the website is one reason to use SkyDrive? :-\
    That's if you ARE in a browser. If you're on a computer with Office, you can load/save files to/from SkyDrive, so no browser is necessary. You don't need to use the browser for that, but the option's there.

I dunno if this deserves its own thread, but since we discussed it here, Dropbox is doubling their pro plans for the same price!!

http://blog.dropbox.com/index.php/ne...box-pro-plans/

So now my 50GB plan will become a 100GB plan tonight! YAY!

They're being way too protective of their revenue. Their base plan needs to go to 5GB-- even though it kinda already is, if you contrive to upload 3GB of photos or videos. They also need to release competitively priced 10GB and 25GB plans.

How To Go
    Yay, my account becomes 100GB.

Quote Originally Posted by stusser View Post
    They're being way too protective of their revenue. Their base plan needs to go to 5GB-- even though it kinda already is, if you contrive to upload 3GB of photos or videos. They also need to release competitively priced 10GB and 25GB plans.
    I bet'cha that's their next step.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by stusser View Post
    They're being way too protective of their revenue.
    Well, they need to be - over half the people I know who used them have moved away over their nonfunctional new web interface. (Even if you only need to use it occasionally, as long as that's a *need*...)

Win8 comes out in 3 months, and it has a 5GB skydrive account built in. Dropbox needs to move quickly, and so far they haven't done that.

Social Worker
    I love my 25GB grandfathered skydrive. Now I just wish it had a native Android app.

Quote Originally Posted by Qmanol View Post
    I love my 25GB grandfathered skydrive. Now I just wish it had a native Android app.
    That's one of the reasons I don't use it, honestly.