Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Norwegian gets 7,5 years for driving the wrong lane, guess where?

Social Worker
    As a Norwegian I sigh a bit at the sad fact that like I said before, getting caught in another country than your own is dangerous, there are prescious few judicial systems in the world you can trust at being impartial.
    Infact, I'd say you'd be best of getting the heck out of there quickly.
    That said, he probably should have lost his licence, or have a fine, but whatever nuttery was going on, nothing else was damaged other than his nose.

Social Worker
    You are completely clueless as to what actually happened and to the history of this guy.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Becker View Post
    You are completely clueless as to what actually happened and to the history of this guy.
    Does this mean you know what actually happened, and the history of this guy? Or are you just driving by, delivering vague sentences that imply you know something the rest of the world doesn't?

Social Worker
    Based on what we do know, he's not like someone who keeps his nose clean.

Washington Post article on the incident.

The most surprising thing about this case? That a town actually has an annual music festival based off of a single line in an ancient Eagles song.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Becker View Post
    He has a totally irrellevant history, however he should be punished for his actions, but does the crime fit the punishment?

I mean, its not even a near miss.

Ex-pat Brooklynite in the swamps of Florida.
    I didn't want to start a new thread, but since there has been some comparison of prison systems here... TIL that escaping from a Belgian prison is not a crime in itself. Committing violence while doing so is a crime. And indeed the "theft of a prison uniform" is a crime. But if no other crime is committed, it's okay. One cite. It seems that this is true of other countries as well. Has anyone here heard of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Janster View Post
    He has a totally irrellevant history, however he should be punished for his actions, but does the crime fit the punishment?
    Apparently it does. There are plenty of witnesses saying that he was yelling and driving erratically and trying to hit people. And he has a history of trying to hit people with his car when he's angry. Who are we to say if it's true?

In any case, he was convicted...now he gets to do his time.

Social Worker

I mean, its not even a near miss.
    I now share the sentiment that you are totally clueless about what happened, or choose to be blind to what he was actually convicted of.

Quote Originally Posted by The Prosecution's Version
    Witnesses later told police and prosecutors that Larsgard was making threats, and when he backed across the curb, his bumper nudged a pole of the food tent, dangerously close to the woman and children operating the stand.

[The charges] originally included 36 counts, including four of attempted second-degree murder.

Court documents say the children’s father ran after Larsgard, following the car through a parking lot, down an alley and onto a side street, where he pulled over. As people approached, he rolled down the window, and the father punched him in the face.

According to witnesses and police reports, he swerved toward several people as he made a U-turn. One told investigators the driver tried to hit him. One woman was struck by the car as she ran toward a nearby group of children she thought were in danger.
    Last edited by Destarius; 04-28-2012 at 10:38 PM.

Social Worker
    Our newspaper listed a few things he's been involved in, at no point was trying to run over a person on a bike on that list.

He's had some incident with a school, which is irrelevant, and 2 people who beat him up at some point, also irrelevant.

Relevant is that one lady said he screamed 'I will kill you' and another witness told she'd heard him say 'I'll sneak through'

The first witness was believed, thus starting the 2nd degree murder charges.

Its a bit like kangaroo court.

2nd degree murder charges
    Aggravated assault, a bit different.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason McCullough View Post
    I'm not following how a lifetime sentence is any less crazy. Or a death sentence. None of them come remotely close to any sense of justice; exceptional crimes break the concept.
    So a 21 year sentence for killing 77 people is crazy, while a lifetime sentence or a death sentence for killing 77 people is just as crazy. So what sentence in your world wouldn't be "crazy"?

How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by Destarius View Post
    No, that's just one of the purposes. Prison can also be used for retribution, and separating a person for the protection of society.
    For the sake of completeness, the other purpose usually cited is that knowledge of the sentence acts as a deterrent. But that pretty demonstrably doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by RichVR View Post
    I didn't want to start a new thread, but since there has been some comparison of prison systems here... TIL that escaping from a Belgian prison is not a crime in itself. Committing violence while doing so is a crime. And indeed the "theft of a prison uniform" is a crime. But if no other crime is committed, it's okay. One cite. It seems that this is true of other countries as well. Has anyone here heard of this?
    Apparently it's the same in Germany, I've heard it cited as a hangover from WWII era concentration camps, but I don't know how accurate that is. The philosophy is usually described as "It's a prisoner's duty to try to escape, it's the prison's duty to keep him in." If you're caught, you get brought back to serve out your original sentence, but no additional time is added for the escape attempt.

How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by Grifman View Post
    So a 21 year sentence for killing 77 people is crazy, while a lifetime sentence or a death sentence for killing 77 people is just as crazy. So what sentence in your world wouldn't be "crazy"?
    Assuming that prison is punitive rather than rehabilitative, unless you can build a Ghost Rider Penance Stare device, all sentences are equally inadequate. A person is capable of inflicting far more damage than any individual can feel.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by CLWheeljack View Post
    all sentences are equally inadequate.
    But the original author did not use the term "inadequate" he used "crazy".