Thread: Delver (First-person real-time roguelike)

Social Worker

Delver (First-person real-time roguelike)

It's a WIP but it looks great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dattsmkfzhU

I'd imagine adding 1st-person and real-time to the mix is gonna get some roguelike-nazis' panties all in a wad but it seems to meet many of the other conditions (so far): procedural maps, random loot, free-form, permadeath...

Neo Acoustic
    I am so there!

The tossing-the-skull-sprite around at the start did give me Ultima Undeworld flashbacks.

New Romantic
    http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=24764.0

You can download the alpha and give it a whirl yourself. Pretty neat.

Social Worker
    I'm waiting for Invert Mouse option. :(

Hustle
    I'm growing ever tired of the minecraft like graphics. I was interested until I saw that, and then my interest plummeted.

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by HumanTon View Post
    I am so there!

The tossing-the-skull-sprite around at the start did give me Ultima Undeworld flashbacks.
    This so much. It looks utterly charming.

Social Worker
    Almost like a first person Legends of Yore. Very interesting.

Hustle
    Quote Originally Posted by Mini-Cyn View Post
    I'm growing ever tired of the minecraft like graphics. I was interested until I saw that, and then my interest plummeted.
    It would be interesting if somehow these developers would make the graphics/textures moddable so the community that would spring up around the game could help enhance the look of the game if they wanted to.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know what would be involved in something like that

Hustle
    Any day now, someone will invent voxels and the indie market ... well, who knows where the indie market could go.

Delver is now out on the Google Play store for $3.99. Be aware though that it's still in development with regular updates promised.

I'll give it a try on my Transformer tonight and see how it plays.

Wendelius

I picked it up for my transformer prime. Runs perfectly. Kind of fun. very light. It is basically a 3D roguelike, which is just fine with me =)

There are some obvious holes in the interface and things missing, but it is definitely playable. I went through about 6 levels, and didn't find much in the way of diversity quite yet.

Grimrock is more my speed, with puzzles, traps, etc. but who knows what is to come of this, and it is a fun little 5-10 minute mobile game.

I gave it a try yesterday and the touch controls are really good and intuitive. Left hand strafes and goes back and forth while the right hand is used as mouselook and use / attack. You are not restricted to small control areas on the screen and it works all the better for it.

The game is still light content wise. But it's off to a good start.

Wendelius

Any new impression of this game? I missed the flash sale but my friend recommends it highly!!

Neo Acoustic
    I gave it a quick spin - about half an hour. The controls are solid, the pixel-y aesthetic works well (I was getting Ultima Underworld flashbacks), and the procedurally generated layouts are good. My only complaint is that it's way too easy to die with absolutely no idea of what killed you - there's no log or show-the-death-from-a-different-camera-angle replay feature. The dying a lot isn't an issue - it is a roguelike, after all - but the lack of feedback can be frustrating.

Thanks. I want to kick myself for missing the 50% sale but if it is good, I don't mind supporting. Any spell casting capability or purely hack and slash?

Social Worker
    50% off on Steam. Has made great strides since the last time I gave it a look.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/249630/

I noticed it has been over 2 years since the start of this thread. How has development been going? Steady progress or is it stagnating?

New Romantic
    Steady progress. See the TIGSource thread for more info.

"Badly needs FOV slider"

Pass.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Profanicus View Post
    "Badly needs FOV slider"

Pass.
    Just like that? Without even looking into it?

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Delver#...view_.28FOV.29

Mad Chester
    I have this on Android and the biggest problem so far for me is that the controls are laggy. It runs silky smooth, so it's not a performance issue. I swipe left and like a quarter of a second later it looks left instead of doing it instantly. It's kinda nauseating.

Quote Originally Posted by GuildBoss View Post
    Just like that? Without even looking into it?

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Delver#...view_.28FOV.29
    Ha, you got me - normally that's the first place I go! I guess I was extremely rushed and overly hasty this morning and made a bad call. Apologies.

I played the game for 5 times, got 5 levels deep and .... I have to admit that I got bored....... I like the Ultima Underworld vibe but there is no story and no real reasons to push on. I understand about rogue-like games and concept - hey I love Dredmore, FTL and Spelunky, but somehow there is not a lot of variation in Delver to keep me going. I ended up paying Rogue Legacy and while the graphics is not as appealing in Rogue Legacy, it is quite fun!