Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Movies that deserved better

Spinning Toe
    Hangin' with the Homeboys. Saw this at a midnight showing at the University of Georgia student theater back in the early '90s and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Some genuinely funny characters, scenes and dialog.

Hustle
    Under Suspicion. Sure this had Thomas Jane and some sage looking and sounding elder black gentleman, but there's something about Gene Hackman.

Mad Chester
    Wild Hogs

We love this movie. Sure it's a bit sappy, but it's fun, cute, funny and maybe it hits my mild-aged ass more than others?

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by None View Post
    Hangin' with the Homeboys. Saw this at a midnight showing at the University of Georgia student theater back in the early '90s and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Some genuinely funny characters, scenes and dialog.
    Only performance of John Leguizamo that didn't annoy the hell out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by z22 View Post
    Wild Hogs

We love this movie. Sure it's a bit sappy, but it's fun, cute, funny and maybe it hits my mild-aged ass more than others?
    Didn't that movie make a truckload of money?

How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by Telefrog View Post
    Didn't that movie make a truckload of money?
    Depends on what the definition of "truckload" is.

According to BoxOfficeMojo, it debuted at #1 with an opening-weekend haul of $39,699,023.00, out of a total domestic gross of $168,273,550.00. It did an additional $85,351,877.00 in foreign receipts.

Social Worker
    Descent (horror movie) - wife and I really enjoyed it, great atmosphere and loved the original ending that didn't get changed in the uk to appease the I need a happy ending groups.

Neo Acoustic
    Quote Originally Posted by Reemul View Post
    Descent (horror movie) - wife and I really enjoyed it, great atmosphere and loved the original ending that didn't get changed in the uk to appease the I need a happy ending groups.
    Was too over-the-top for me, but I seem to recall lots of people liking this one upon release. I think it got decent (crazy pun!) recognition all things considered.

Social Worker
    How did The Reef do? I thought that wasn't a bad flick, but found it by accident while surfing Netflix. Very tense.

Was too over-the-top for me, but I seem to recall lots of people liking this one upon release. I think it got decent (crazy pun!) recognition all things considered.
    Yeah, if anything, The Descent did better than it deserved in the UK. Certainly on the critical side of things.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
    Yeah, if anything, The Descent did better than it deserved in the UK. Certainly on the critical side of things.
    Well critically it was very well received, seemed to me the change of ending for other markets wasn't needed and $57mill isn't bad i think it could have done better.

I would also add Dog Soldiers as a great film and something different from the werewolf genre.

If someone had told me that Martin Freeman, Sam Rockwell, Zooey Deschanel, Bill Nighy, Mos Def, Alan Rickman, and John Malkovich were going to make an post-apocalyptic* outer space comedy romp based on a beloved science fiction series, I would have been ecstatic. If that someone said he saw some footage and it featured spectacular special effects, enormous energy from the actors, and an understated environmental message behind the far-out premise, I would have salivated on the carpet.

If that someone then told me that it got middling reviews (60% Rotten Tomatoes score), modest box office, and then vanished from the popular collective consciousness, I would say that that movie deserved better.

I'm not saying it was the best movie ever, or the career best of those involved. I liked the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie, but I think I would have liked it more if I wasn't comparing it to the books, radio plays, and Infocom game. The fault was not in the stars, but in myself. Anyway, it deserved better.

Don't get me started on Out of Sight or the Director's Cut of Kingdom of Heaven, though!

* post-apocalyptic seeing as how the Earth had done been blown up.
    Last edited by Djscman; 04-28-2012 at 04:32 PM.

How To Go
    I paid money to see that in a proper theater and felt cheated for it, but YMMV.

World's End Supernova Brian Rubin's Avatar
    I've only seen the director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven and totally loved it. Hitchhiker's guide though....meh...

Neo Acoustic
    Kingdom of Heaven was awful (and awfully pretty), regardless of version - imo.

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Rayo View Post
    Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is a fantastic movie.

I would submit Stake Land: few people watched what I tought was a very well done vampire apocalypse.
    Just watched Stake Land. I have to concur -- very well done vampire movie.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Tnylr View Post
    Though it's pretty well universally loved amongst people I know, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang grossed a mere 15 Million, and most of that outside the US (IMDB info)

Oooh!!! -- IMDB shows Shane Black writing/directing Iron Man 3 (and Robert Downey Jr again).
    This is one of my favorites of that year. Best buddy movie I've seen in a long time.

Mad Chester
    THE TAINT

(that is nfsw)