Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wil Wheaton's new web show: Tabletop

Quote Originally Posted by merryprankster View Post
    Bleh...I was hoping for something cleverly written like the guild, but dealing with boardgamer stereotypes. Instead I just got some people sitting around playing a game. Total snooze fest. If I want boardgame reviews I prefer Dice Tower, and Watch it Played does a better job of giving detailed information about how a game actually plays.Of course if you want a super entertaining web program about boardgames there is no better than Shut Up and Sit Down, which Tabletop simply cannot hold a candle to.
    I don't follow quite enough board game shows to completely bump TableTop off my list. Sit Down and Shut Up is by far the king, no question about it. But I only tune into The Dice Tower and Watch it Played when they go through games I'm interested in, or consider purchasing. I'll probably keep watching Wil's show until I have to start prioritizing one over the other. As it stands today, I can always make room for more board games.

New Romantic
    Very much enjoyed the Catan episode, so much so that it makes me want to play the game with some folks now. I thought Wil was much more relaxed in this episode, and didn't seem to feel the need to crack a joke every single minute like he was doing with the Small World episode. The guests were good choices this time around as well, and I liked that "Fargo" at least had some previous experience with the game.

Tabletop is going on my very small list of Youtube/Blog stuff I follow regularly.

Spinning Toe
    Of course if you want a super entertaining web program about boardgames there is no better than Shut Up and Sit Down, which Tabletop simply cannot hold a candle to.
    That does not come as a surprise.

World's End Supernova
    Are any of the digital/electronic versions of Catan any good? What about as single player games, does the AI make it interesting?

Social Worker
    The Xbox 360 version is great and you can still regularly find people to play online, which is pretty amazing considering the game was released half a decade ago. The single player AI isn't too shabby and each AI player has a different play style.

Haven't tried the PC versions.

Of course if you want a super entertaining web program about boardgames there is no better than Shut Up and Sit Down, which Tabletop simply cannot hold a candle to.
    I hadn't heard of SU,SD before. Thanks for the heads up! Those guys are funny and informative; I wish my friends and I had been that creative when we were lads.

Broad Band
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyFrog View Post
    I enjoy the irony the so many geeks hated and reviled Wil Wheaton (yes, the Wesley Crusher character, but let's be honest, also Wil Wheaton) back when he was on Star Trek, and yet he turned out to have the most in common with and be the most like those very same geeks.
    Yeah wasn't his nickname "the Weasel" amongst those trekkies? I think those geeks were just jealous they couldn't be in his shoes though.

Not sure if it's just the beard, but it looks like he's put on some weight...

Good show...something to watch in between Dice Tower reviews. Tom Vassal & family are too charming and he does a great job summarizing rules and explaining the games he reviews. I also like those wacky Brit videos featured on RPS Cardboard Children (forgot the name of the show).

The Zombie Dice game in episode 3 is hilarious.

Mad Chester
    Thankfully Wil has eased up with his role. After this episode I've played 3/5 games.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by LowComDenom View Post
    Yeah wasn't his nickname "the Weasel" amongst those trekkies? I think those geeks were just jealous they couldn't be in his shoes though.

Not sure if it's just the beard, but it looks like he's put on some weight...

Good show...something to watch in between Dice Tower reviews. Tom Vassal & family are too charming and he does a great job summarizing rules and explaining the games he reviews. I also like those wacky Brit videos featured on RPS Cardboard Children (forgot the name of the show).
    Another good one is Watch It Played, I've really enjoyed seeing games played out.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomasch View Post
    Sit Down and Shut Up is by far the king, no question about it.

I really like Sit Down and Shut Up. Quinns (I think that's his name) wrote for RPS, and that and Eurogamer are pretty much the only gaming websites I go to, so I knew I'd like the show. And I like that there reviews are less about components and rules and all about the flow of the game, the interplay it creates and just how damn cool games can be. It's by far the best boardgame video show out there. But... They're so English. So politely English. It rankles against my primitive Irish brain. It shouldn't, because I really like it, and I think they'd be great to game with. I don't get it with RPS event though it's very much the same style. But 800 years of bloody war and oppression and now them feckin' English are being funny in their campy, polite, crazy way and it's like someone scraping a fork on a plate. Stupid bloody inbuilt Irish cultural inadaquecy feelings.

Still, I have all the season 2 episodes to go. In fact I might go watch one now. But I'll have to get drunk and chase a leprechaun afterwards.

World's End Supernova
    I liked the most recent episode of Tabletop but the episodes that focus on a single game are more interesting to me.

I've tried watching Sit Down and Shut Up but don't quite get it. It may be the intended humor falls flat for me or something like that.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by z22 View Post
    Thankfully Wil has eased up with his role. After this episode I've played 3/5 games.
    I still find him very annoying, but he has at least toned it down a tad.

I'll keep watching for the games.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarkus View Post

I've tried watching Sit Down and Shut Up but don't quite get it. It may be the intended humor falls flat for me or something like that.
    I suggest immersing yourself in Monty Python and Top Gear immediately....

Social Worker
    It's definitely inspired by that kind of thing. The modern roots of that type of nerd/gamer comedy came in the UK PC Gamer in the lates 90s and early to mid Noughties. And that has it's roots in a mid-eighties to early nineties magazine for ~a~ computer (Sinclair, Spectrum, Amstrad, one of these.) RPS have refined it while Shut Up and Sit Down have brought it to the tabletop realm. There's definitely a long history of UK gamer comedy behind it specifically, while being more broadly influenced by the Pythons, Goons, and then followed by the Young Ones, Bottom, Blackadar, etc.

I was more of a PC Zone/Charlie Brooker kind of guy. At least until I started using forums around the turn of the millenium and realised the PC Zone was rubbish, and a few years later I found the PC Gamer forums.

Edit: Got the name of the eighties magazine from a guy who remembers that era better than I do. It was Amiga Power.
    Last edited by Mrenda; 05-07-2012 at 06:01 PM.

World's End Supernova
    I'm fans of both those and a lot of other british humor, but for whatever reason the episodes of Sit Down I've watched don't appeal to me the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Buceph View Post
    But... They're so English. So politely English. It rankles against my primitive Irish brain. It shouldn't, because I really like it, and I think they'd be great to game with. I don't get it with RPS event though it's very much the same style. But 800 years of bloody war and oppression and now them feckin' English are being funny in their campy, polite, crazy way and it's like someone scraping a fork on a plate. Stupid bloody inbuilt Irish cultural inadaquecy feelings.
    You okay there, buddy? :p

World's End Supernova
    Surprised no one has metioned it, but the new episode from last Friday is Ticket to Ride. Maybe I'm wrong but I have a feeling Wheaton's wife was one of the players because someone else bailed on them right before filming.
    Last edited by Sarkus; 05-21-2012 at 05:27 PM.

Surprised no one has metioned it, but the new episode from last Friday is Ticket to Ride. Maybe I'm wrong but I have a feeling Wheaton's wife was one of the players because someone else bailed on them right before filming.
    Pretty uneventful episode.

Then this:

Social Worker
    She tweeted that she was gonna be on it a day or two before they shot, if I remember correctly. Or maybe it was the day they shot, which I suppose could lend credence to your theory. She did mention it, though.

Neo Acoustic
    I almost choked on my lunch laughing at that incident.

Social Worker
    I had the same initial reaction they did. Sort of shocked, sucking in a breath... then I exhaled and laughed once my brain reminded me that I was not actually playing and wouldn't be required to try to set the board back up.

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake View Post
    I almost choked on my lunch laughing at that incident.
    What did you just do?!

Epic.

Social Worker
    That was the first episode I'd watched. Wil's reaction was pretty great.

Spinning Toe
    His wife is stupidly hot and much more fun than he is. Now I hate him even more.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesC View Post
    His wife is stupidly hot and much more fun than he is. Now I hate him even more.
    I didn't know what she looked like. She was absolutely striking and stunning in a way that I didn't expect. Of course, "stunned" and "stricken" describing my reaction to her appearance. Wil did all right for himself.
    Last edited by rhinohelix; 05-22-2012 at 02:52 PM.

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph View Post
    She tweeted that she was gonna be on it a day or two before they shot, if I remember correctly. Or maybe it was the day they shot, which I suppose could lend credence to your theory. She did mention it, though.
    I realized today that one of the other players in this episode, Amy Dallen, doesn't appear to be any kind of "geek culture" celeb at all either. Apparently she simply works at a comic shop Wheaton visits. So, that kind of throws my theory about his wife's presence off.

I realized today that one of the other players in this episode, Amy Dallen, doesn't appear to be any kind of "geek culture" celeb at all either. Apparently she simply works at a comic shop Wheaton visits. So, that kind of throws my theory about his wife's presence off.
    Unless Mr. Wheaton is running out of celebrity friends. DUN-DUN-DUN!

Account closed Spinning Toe
    Amy is pretty. Wheaton...still annoying. That thing he does with his hands at the end of the intro...grrrr.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by yamo yamo View Post
    Amy is pretty. Wheaton...still annoying. That thing he does with his hands at the end of the intro...grrrr.
    Hahah, I have the same feelings about his hand gesture thing. I don't know why it annoys me so much.