Thread: Legal challenger to individual insurance mandate files bankruptcy

World's End Supernova

Legal challenger to individual insurance mandate files bankruptcy

Can you guess why?

Mary Brown, a 56-year-old Florida woman who owned a small auto repair shop but had no health insurance, became the lead plaintiff challenging President Obama's healthcare law because she was passionate about the issue. Brown "doesn't have insurance. She doesn't want to pay for it. And she doesn't want the government to tell her she has to have it," said Karen Harned, a lawyer for the National Federation of Independent Business. Brown is a plaintiff in the federation's case, which the Supreme Court plans to hear later this month. But court records reveal that Brown and her husband filed for bankruptcy last fall with $4,500 in unpaid medical bills. Those bills could change Brown from a symbol of proud independence into an example of exactly the problem the healthcare law was intended to address.

Well, talk about showing the point.

World's End Supernova
    Not the first time I saw this story.

Also not the first time I have to point out the following:

Lawyers who represent Brown dispute the significance of her bankruptcy. They say her unpaid medical bills were only a small part of her debts and did not cause her bankruptcy. They say that she and her husband owe $55,000 to others, including credit card companies. And they say her financial troubles were caused by the failure of her auto repair shop.
    But hey you know, whatever, $4,500 in medical bills, cool, let's all just stick with that story.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
    Not the first time I saw this story.

Also not the first time I have to point out the following:

But hey you know, whatever, $4,500 in medical bills, cool, let's all just stick with that story.
    Let's accept that the health bills have nothing to do with her bankruptcy.

She's still a poster child for precisely why we need nationalized healthcare. She's now in no position, whatsoever, to be able to secure insurance for herself or her family.

Quote Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
    Whatever caused her to declare bankruptcy, she still ran up a big ol' bill and decided to pass it on to someone else to deal with. Another victory for the culture of personal responsibility, I guess.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by charmtrap View Post
    Whatever caused her to declare bankruptcy, she still ran up a big ol' bill and decided to pass it on to someone else to deal with. Another victory for the culture of personal responsibility, I guess.
    Wouldn't have taken much to "run up" a $4,500 medical bill. Just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by Scuzz View Post
    Wouldn't have taken much to "run up" a $4,500 medical bill. Just sayin.
    Which is the root of the problem, right?

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by charmtrap View Post
    $55k is peanuts for a business failure.