Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Telltale's Walking Dead

World's End Supernova
    Are you confusing this game with a first person shooter or something?

Social Worker
    To be fair, there are a handful of "action" segments and maybe they look a little daunting without a trusty inverted control setting to fall back on. I do think it's a shame he won't be supporting a terrific little game series like this because of it but I've seen weirder quirks on this forum.

I have to echo those who don't want to deconstruct the magic in this game. It is such a beautifully crafted experience with a gripping narrative, fantastic art design and enjoyable gameplay. Sometimes, I think that's enough.

Social Worker
    When they put
    A tailored game experience – Live with the profound and lasting consequences of the decisions that you make in each episode. Your actions and choices will affect how your story plays out across the entire series.
    on the listing for the game on Steam, I wouldn't consider being concerned with if they're going to actually do that "Deconstructing the magic". Unless how the story plays out is code for slipping in one extra line of dialog on if you did or didn't do something.

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
    Are you confusing this game with a first person shooter or something?
    Perspective don't matter. Forward = down, etc. My father was a pilot; it's in the upbringing and the blood.

Mad Chester
    Just finished it, really enjoyed it quite a bit. I want the next episode. I wish the characters weren't so in your face about the consequences of your actions. I know what I did, because it happened 3 minutes ago and you were there with me. You don't have to tell me what I did as if I forgot already. The result of the first choice for me came off as really unrealistic and forced, but I'll try something else next time and see if it's any better.

Think I might play through again being as quiet as possible.

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by Sander 001 View Post
    Perspective don't matter. Forward = down, etc. My father was a pilot; it's in the upbringing and the blood.
    So you have an inverted mouse pointer for your Windows desktop as well, then.

Mad Chester
    Not sure if serious. But if it is: Airplanes use a flightstick, which are similar to joysticks, so I expect a similar behaviour. A mouse is less similar.

World's End Supernova
    Your comments are occurring in the context of a mouse cursor, because that's all this game has. It's not a first person shooter and it's not a game of flight. You said "Perspective doesn't matter, forward = down."

I can see the association when the movement of the mouse corresponds to the changing of a view, hence people inverting in first person shooters, but we're talking about a cursor on the screen with TT's Walking Dead.
    Last edited by Pogo; 04-30-2012 at 05:02 PM.

Neo Acoustic
    I don't like to agree with people or criticize people's methods of playing but it does seem pretty strange. Have you tried playing using your controller upside down?

Mad Chester
    I tried it on PS3. For me, joystick forward = down. It don't matter if it's a gun being aimed, a plane diving or a cursor direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    I don't like to agree with people or criticize people's methods of playing but it does seem pretty strange. Have you tried playing using your controller upside down?
    You just blew my mind! I already watched all of A New Day on youtube, so maybe I'll try it for the next episode. But what about the inventory stuff and the button presses?

There is no "inventory stuff" really. If you have an item in your inventory, and you can use it, it adds to the list of interactions when you move the cursor over an object. There's no inventory management in the traditional sense whatsoever.

Social Worker
    Super damned irritating. Downloaded episode 2 today and settled in to play, only to find out that it's taking the opposite of my choices from episode 1. I continue episode 1 (All from the same save slot) and find it's still got the correct choices, episode 2 is just ignoring it.

Really goddamn irritating that the one gimmick the game has is getting completely busted. And at this point I'm not sure if my savegame is just going to be completely fucked or what. Since I played through the game twice before episode 2 for different endings, and have been playing a third time for a let's play, I'm not all that motivated to re-play with the same choices in the hopes that save game will work since the goddamn game doesn't let you skip dialog.

Fuck.

FUCK!

When I was replaying the game originally, I noticed that it seemed to only really consider my choices from my first playthrough, and not reloads. Perhaps it's using your very first choices?

Neo Acoustic
    Quote Originally Posted by Sander 001 View Post
    Seriously?

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Vesper View Post
    When I was replaying the game originally, I noticed that it seemed to only really consider my choices from my first playthrough, and not reloads. Perhaps it's using your very first choices?
    Nope, because save slot 1 WAS my very first choices. I've got save slot 2 and 3 for my other runs.

I guess check the Telltale forums. My choices were all intact.

Social Worker
    Yep, there's a fairly busy thread on there I'm keeping an eye on.

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/...ad.php?t=30650

Spinning Toe
    I don't have any pilot blood, but not being able to set inversion drives me nuts too. My brain must be upside-down.
    Last edited by Cyrano; 06-30-2012 at 07:52 PM.

Social Worker
    Found a solution that worked for me. Click play, load your save, click "Rewind" on episode 1, and go to the Doug and Carley chapter and play from there. Still a bit of a pain in the ass but that kept my choices when I moved to episode 2.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post
    I don't have any up pilot blood, but not being able to set inversion drives me nuts too. My brain must be upside-down.
    Nope i'm pretty much the same. It always amazes me that people want to tell other people how stupid they are because of what they want regarding inversion. People are different and we need to respect that.

Neo Acoustic
    On the other hand, display some adaptability.

My Doug/Carley choice was inverted, too. It's been so long since I played episode 1 that I didn't really notice until I read this thread (after finishing episode 2), although I do remember wondering where that woman I'd saved was. I figured that since the developers where introducing new characters between episodes, they might also have killed some off.

All in all, I'm not very impressed. Apart from the delays and bugs, I just didn't think the writing was very good.

SPOILERS

Pretty early on in episode 2, I suspected that the people on the dairy farm might be cannibals, but when I walked around there for the first time, I noticed that they had a field full of crops (not to mention freshly baked bread), so why would they eat people. Sure, when they were outed they said something about not letting anything go to waste, but come on. I'm getting the sense that they are just trying to replicate some of the story lines from the comic, and they're not doing a great job of it, in my opinion.

I'm also starting to wonder how important the choices I make really are. Apart from some changed characters and dialogue, it seems that everything plays out pretty much the same way.

Oh well, I'm still enjoying it. I just can't shake the feeling that it could have been quite a bit better.

How To Go
    I thought Ep2 was excellent all around. The difficult decisions you are forced to make, the growing tension within the farm, the realistic and mature dialog. Best Telltale game I've played yet.

Spoiler: End Game
    It was not easy but I chose to kill Larry. I didn't want a tough zombie in the room with the girl. I get the feeling Lily is going to be a big pain in my ass next chapter though. She wasn't happy that I spared the brothers but killed her father.
    Last edited by Jazar; 07-03-2012 at 09:20 AM.

Social Worker
    Definitely Telltale at its best (and I noticed Mr Whitta in the credits as the story consultant). I enjoyed it all the way through. I wouldn't advise replays to try to see all the paths, I think that kind of looking under the covers will spoil it. The magic is in wondering about the other choices, not revealing them.

How To Go
    I've gotta say of all the games that have ever been "episodic" in the past (not just Telltale I mean everything going back to Wing Commander: Secret Ops), TWD has come the closest to realizing the original premise of episodic gaming. It has a phenomenal "water cooler" effect that hasn't really happened before. Getting together after each episode and finding out how choices affected their game, talking about dramatic moments and which character they feel more aligned with. Cool stuff.

Social Worker
    That was a great episode. I liked it all the way through and it gave me the shivers once we figured out what was happening on the farm.

Spoiler: Spoiler for the end
    I may have looked away and missed something but what was the significance of the lady with the video camera at the end? I know she's the one from the camp earlier. Why was she filming Clementine? Did her daughter get eaten by the farmers and she was trying to replace her with Clementine?

It seemed like a weird way to end things unless I missed something important.

Is the price I see on steam for one episode or for all episodes?

Quote Originally Posted by DeepT View Post
    Is the price I see on steam for one episode or for all episodes?
    That's for the 1st season. I think that's 5 episodes, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Warning View Post
    It seemed like a weird way to end things unless I missed something important.
    If you missed it then I did too - but I tend to think it was just an explanation of what was motivating the woman you met (and killed) in the camp. If you'll recall, you find Clementine's baseball camp in that abandoned camp, so it kind of explains how that got there too, and fleshes out the woman by explaining that she thought she was rescuing Clementine from Lee's group. At least I think that's what was happening.