Thread: Reckoning: Kingdoms Of Amalur is such a lousy name...

Quote Originally Posted by MrPerson View Post
    I decided to put the game down for a while after getting ambushed by yet another group of basic sprites at level ~20. At least recolor and rename them...
    The weird thing is that, while the enemy variety is sorely lacking, the game seems to forget about a bunch of its enemy types. Why are the Sons of Laz (zombies) only in two zones? The lack of enemy variety isn't helped by the fact that the game throws sprites and boggarts at you well into the last legs of the game.

How To Go
    Seattlish. XBL:Editer PSN:DennyA These are my opinions, not my employer's, but they should be yours.
    So now that I'm pretty high level, I have more than four kickass abilities.

However, I have only four buttons to map them to. Is there any way to access my other abilities, short of going into the skill tree, mapping them, and losing access to some other cool thing? (360 version)

If not, that really sucks.

Neo Acoustic
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    So now that I'm pretty high level, I have more than four kickass abilities.

However, I have only four buttons to map them to. Is there any way to access my other abilities, short of going into the skill tree, mapping them, and losing access to some other cool thing? (360 version)

If not, that really sucks.
    If you have any sustained abilities you might / should be able to map them, activate them and remap the buttons.

How To Go
    Seattlish. XBL:Editer PSN:DennyA These are my opinions, not my employer's, but they should be yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by razarok View Post
    If you have any sustained abilities you might / should be able to map them, activate them and remap the buttons.
    Ugh. That's really a horrible way to handle things. :( Essentially limites you to four abilities in combat.

You should at least be able to go to the abilities screen and activate from there, without having to map/unmap them.

Yep. That limitation doesn't exist in the PC version, but it's clunkier. You hit a number button to switch the ability on your right mouse button.

New Romantic
    10-12 hours in and so far my impression is: Skyrim with actual gameplay but a slightly less engaging world. That's a pretty good combination.

I actually think the setting is a lot more interesting than Skyrim though not always as well realized (and rips off Jim Butcher a little too much). The main thing that makes Skyrim better/more resonant is just the environment art and design; e.g. the beautiful vistas and intricately arranged collections of items that make up each building/dungeon. The quests and stories in Skyrim aren't really all that much better and the diversity of enemies is far worse (in Skyrim even the main baddies get ridiculously tiresome; oh, another dragon? *yawn*). The good guy / bad guy reputation stuff isn't as fiddly but I don't really miss that.

Don't get me wrong, Skyrim's world is still quite good but damn I missed having actual gameplay. R:KoA puts into focus how truly awful Skyrim is in that department. Reckoning's gameplay is hardly amazing but it's there and it's solid. The character progression makes a lot of sense and is fun. The sword-fighting is engaging and there is actually stuff to do other than button mashing. The crafting is useful most of the time without making erratic jumps into the territory of breaking the entire game. Special abilities actually feel epic and are useful for more than shouting goats off of mountains.

I may get bored of this game as well but I'm guessing I'll make it a lot further than I did with Skyrim and feel like I wasted less of that time afterwards. I think this is a great first release for the studio and I think they could do a lot with a sequel.

Spinning Toe
    Perhaps this should be titled: Common mistakes 101.

First and foremost....huge pet peeve. You train stealth....and 90% of the content starts you out either:

1. In a cutscene where your position is reset.

2. In a fight where killing one enemy (if you can get lucky) alerts all the others.

3. Ambushed, where your character state becomes meaningless.

A. You can *not* staple stealth gameplay onto your existing game. You need to design the implementation of stealth into core game mechanics. There are so few games that have done this, and oddly enough, one of them was made by Volition.

B. There needs to be other bonus elements attached to training stealth skills (see A). If you're going to hose stealth gameplay, integrate other bonus abilities into the stealth tree/skill.

This in and of itself, completely negates spending any points in the stealth skill, as it is largely completely useless. This is compounded by how effective other skills are at dealing with trash mobs.

**In the context of this game, getting the sneak/jump on one mob, should carry over to all mobs in that group**. That alone would make this skill worthwhile.

2: Bonus for attacking in melee range vs ranged combat. At every skill/equipment level, attacking someone with daggers vs chakras is less valuable. It's not just Chakras, although they are the prime example. Needing to be in melee range has consequences that are not offset by the time it takes to get into melee range. This could be offset by Bow skills, but they don't seem to keep pace, at least in my play-throughs...could be off here.

A: Having the "mage" character be the most effective at spamable mid-range combat seems counter intuitive to melee combat. I.E. my mage is a much better spam combat melee character than my true melee characters. The trainable combat techniques that involve closing distance and attacking multiple targets seem to take longer and be much more fidgety.

3: Cheap re-specs. Gamers have been constantly clamoring for easier more casual friendly games. Being able to re-spec for no real cost only takes away from the replay value of your game.

A: I'm sure most of the gaming public will disagree with me here, but the lack of commitment to character builds is a major psychological stumbling block in these games when it comes to retention and replay. As horrible as it is, getting to level 34 and realizing that you made a mistake, is what kept people playing and perfecting Diablo 2 for years.

All in all a fun game. I've put some time into it, and will probably put a bit more into it. The above points, are what keeps my from having it on my hard drive for a long time, and more importantly to the publisher, keeps me buying expansions.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultrazen View Post
    3: Cheap re-specs. Gamers have been constantly clamoring for easier more casual friendly games. Being able to re-spec for no real cost only takes away from the replay value of your game.

A: I'm sure most of the gaming public will disagree with me here, but the lack of commitment to character builds is a major psychological stumbling block in these games when it comes to retention and replay. As horrible as it is, getting to level 34 and realizing that you made a mistake, is what kept people playing and perfecting Diablo 2 for years.
    You should go hang out in the Diablo 3 thread.

Social Worker
    As horrible as it is, getting to level 34 and realizing that you made a mistake, is what kept people playing and perfecting Diablo 2 for years.
    I don't even have time to finish most of my games before something shinier comes out, so no, I don't empathise with this at all.

That is NOT what kept me playing D2 for so long. The lack of respecs was very frustrating. Finding out that once you got to nightmare, you had been better pumping vitality wasn't keeping me playing for years.

In fact, I never made it through act 1 in hell, and I only got there once or twice. I just couldn't make myself play it all over again, playing a sorcerous who never pumped energy and put almost everything into VIT to survive.

What kept me playing it was my friends, and a few mods. If I had respecs, I think I might have played it even longer because I could easily re-tool a badly made toon (did just fine on normal, and OK on nightmare) and not go through all those acts again, esp Act III which was the most hated act in all Diablo-like games.

Yep I play a game once and then move on, also having a young family makes it difficult enough getting through these games just once.

It's been great being able to repec to totally different roles instead of just sticking with my warrior build, first time in a long time I'm playing a a sorcerer, brilliant idea, of course there is nothing to stop you playing 3 toons if you want.

New Romantic
    2: Bonus for attacking in melee range vs ranged combat. At every skill/equipment level, attacking someone with daggers vs chakras is less valuable. It's not just Chakras, although they are the prime example. Needing to be in melee range has consequences that are not offset by the time it takes to get into melee range. This could be offset by Bow skills, but they don't seem to keep pace, at least in my play-throughs...could be off here.

A: Having the "mage" character be the most effective at spamable mid-range combat seems counter intuitive to melee combat. I.E. my mage is a much better spam combat melee character than my true melee characters. The trainable combat techniques that involve closing distance and attacking multiple targets seem to take longer and be much more fidgety.
    Two simple words here, Relentless Assault. If you are playing a melee class and do not have this skill for whatever reason you are simply playing the game wrong. Finesse characters can grab it easily as it sits low in the might tree and might characters can gain the huge benefit from further upgrades up the tree.

In my experience with the game playing a Might Character (with 12 points in Sorcery) is by far the easiest way to turn the game into a cakewalk. The reason you grab the 12 points in Sorcery is threefold; It provides a nice crutch in the early game until you manage to get some decent gear on your character. It gives you a ridiculously good ability in the shield meaning you can benefit from late-game tanking stats in the early/mid game and thirdly it gives you possibly the best destiny cards you'll find until you hit the 109 tier cards, Battlemage - Which restores your mana by getting hit completely removing mana concerns and turns your roll into a blink which makes dodging things in fights a breeze. Then you just go full might, grab the aforementioned RA and wreck face left clicking yourself into what will become the most boring game you have played in a long time after a while. It's so utterly broken that it must have been intentional, which just makes me sad.

tl;dr You are talking nonsense. Pure Might (with a tiny bit of sorcery) is easily the most broken way of playing this game, bows and chakrams and the stuff you're talking about is child's play in comparison. The only build that even comes close is pure Sorcery.

-edit- As for the re-speccing thing, I think you are way off there aswell (although this is obviously just my opinion). I think it's inclusion was handled very well, one of the few things I came out still liking about the thing after I was done with it. In a game like this: Purely singleplayer, low difficultly, with free skill mixing/multi-classing and a game world that had very little effort put into it barring a medicore and predictable main quest and faction quests where only the decisions they wanted you to pick where ever resolved/modeled properly replayablility was never going to be a huge thing, especially since none of the games systems are designed around the notion.

Thus being able to respec at will into a new character class, completely change the way I play mid-game or simply the ease of which I could resign silly mistakes I made early was a feature that was greatly appreciated. Doubly so since if you really wanted to replay the game then none of this matters, respeccing is completely optional and no-one is forcing it on you. So it's the best of both worlds.
    Last edited by McKnight; 02-28-2012 at 06:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StGabe View Post
    10-12 hours in and so far my impression is: Skyrim with actual gameplay but a slightly less engaging world. That's a pretty good combination.
    Yes, at the 10 hour point Amalur is completely awesome. Keep playing, see what you think at the 30 hour point.

How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by stusser View Post
    Yes, at the 10 hour point Amalur is completely awesome. Keep playing, see what you think at the 30 hour point.
    I ended up spending around 40 hours in it and really enjoyed it.

But after about 10-12 hours, I focused on the two main questlines, and only got distracted by a few particularly shiny sidequests. I accepted but blew off about 25-30 other sidequests. So it stayed interesting to me, as the story was unfolding at a steady pace. Had I taken a lot of those requests to kill some spiders or play Fed Ex man, I might agree with you, Stusser.

But overall I'd argue for 3.5 to 4 stars out of 5 at a 1990s CGW editorial meeting. I thought it was an enjoyable, entertaining game, with some really awesome locales, and, yes, even some good characters.

You managed to keep your energy up by skipping half of the actual game, and you think that's a positive sign?

Don't get me wrong, I did the same thing after I hit level 25 or so, but I wasn't happy about it. And near the end, I just wanted it to be over.

How To Go
    After 35 hours, still lovin' it but I'm an old lady with poor skillz :)

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorini View Post
    After 35 hours, still lovin' it but I'm an old lady with poor skillz :)
    Count me there with ya. My save file says I'm at 120+ hours and I'm only 30ish.

How To Go
    You managed to keep your energy up by skipping half of the actual game, and you think that's a positive sign?
    I think it's fine that it accomodated my desire to focus on the main storyline and finish in 40 hours, but that there's 120 hours of stuff there for completionists.

The game isn't designed in such a way that skipping sidequests is skipping "half the actual game." You're just not taking all the options available to you. I still got all of the main story. And there's tons of stuff left to do if I want to go back.

It's not like, say, Mass Effect 2, where Tom missed half the story by bailing on the sidequests.

I have a kid that I enjoy spending time with, so I can only accomodate about one 100-hour game a year. And Skyrim already got that honor.

IGN has some good info on the DLC due on the 20th of March, and it sounds tempting: Pirate-Themed DLC, Ahoy

Wendelius

I thrust game designers New Romantic Teiman's Avatar
    nostalgia for something that never existed is a ghost pain
    Its official, pirates its the new zombies.

Quote Originally Posted by Teiman View Post
    Its official, pirates its the new zombies.
    Well... Those guys look like undead pirates... So it's a double whammy.

Wendelius

Spinning Toe
    Personally I love the respeccing being so easily done. I've been able to tweak my character to fit more how I want it to play without having to restart. I started with a Finess build intended to focus on Stealth, until I discovered how worthless stealth is in the game (at least so far). So I've respecced a couple of times futzing around with different approaches to the Finesse tree. I'm still looking forward to replaying with Might and Sorcery characters later (yes, I COULD just respec to them, but I prefer to play a character concept and only use respeccing to make relatively minor adjustments).

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by McKnight View Post
    . Pure Might (with a tiny bit of sorcery) is easily the most broken way of playing this game, bows and chakrams and the stuff you're talking about is child's play in comparison. The only build that even comes close is pure Sorcery.
    I feel the same way with pure Sorcery. I thought about respeccing to Might because Sorc does not provide any sort of challenge at all. (I'm already on the other Island, so pretty deep into the game).

Maybe the game is just too easy overall with any pure spec.

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    I can only accomodate about one 100-hour game a year. And Skyrim already got that honor.
    The difference is that the sidequests in Skyrim are awesome and really kinda the point. They aren't filler, they're fun.

Social Worker

Ultimately without respec, you are either just using using an optimal build 'guide' to plan ahead anyway, or feeling shafted via trial/error mistakes.

In D2, I -hated- hoarding skill points with my Ice Sorc until I was able to afford the worthwhile skills. Much of the early tree was not built well for the Nightmare challenges and thus a complete waste to dump ANY points into anything before higher level skills are available. Thus, much of Normal mode was spent literally spamming the default starter skills until the 'real' meat of the tree was available and I had the requisite points available. Respec would allow me to experiment or at least -entertain- the idea of utilizing pointless skills in those grinding hours.

Some certainly enjoy the prospect of mistake builds and the consequences of commitment, but a majority will likely walk away from the game annoyed and frustrated at wasted time.

Broad Band
    The difference is that the sidequests in Skyrim are awesome and really kinda the point. They aren't filler, they're fun.
    Go to yet another identical bandit camp and kill everything? Awesome? Sorry, we will have to agree to disagree but IMHO most of the quests (side or main) were kind of lame.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Warpstorm View Post
    Go to yet another identical bandit camp and kill everything? Awesome? Sorry, we will have to agree to disagree but IMHO most of the quests (side or main) were kind of lame.
    The radiant quests in Skyrim(that you describe) certainly aren't great examples, or even close to the quality level of actual 'designed' quests in the same game.

Certainly you have at least attempted a Daedric quest or two? Doesn't really matter which of the entire 16 avaialble, they are all unlike damn near anything seen in a similar genre game that isn't named Oblivion(where they were mostly great as well). The rewards as well are equally as unique as the quest design themselves.

Most of the actual 'named' sidequests or faction quests certainly have their filler content as well, but ultimately do progress to a satisfying payoff. This is what I am missing largely in Amalur, but I have yet to finish many of the faction questlines to really compare effectively. Ultimately the gameplay imbalance is keeping me from touching the game moreso than the world lore/questing anyway.

Yeah, radiant quests were certainly failures. That's not what I was talking about.

New Romantic
    I agree that the majority of Skyrim quests really weren't that special. There were a few stand outs but a lot of quests were really just linear rat kills with a little window dressing. For example the entire Mage College questline just seemed like a slog to me.

Perhaps a better way to say this is that none of the quests in Skyrim had a story that was in the same league with fantasy fiction I can buy in a book shop. That's ok -- my expectation aren't that high. However, I do require gameplay to elevate the game up beyond it's more meager storytelling offering.

Why is Skyrim so popular? IMO it's a bit of what Chris Hecker mentions in this talk. The world is compelling enough to hook you into it's implicit achievement system. The gameplay is pretty awful but you keep playing to get the next house, unlock a new companion, become the dean of the mage's college, etc. More people may dig that but I still think that R:KoA is a better game.

You think KoA is a better game than Skyrim?

Wow.