Thread: Reckoning: Kingdoms Of Amalur is such a lousy name...

Social Worker
    Maxed Mark of Flame is way overpowered. Most stuff (except bosses) die before I even get into melee.

Neo Acoustic
    Quote Originally Posted by olaf View Post
    Playing on hard. First kind of tough enemy was the Thresh but I took care of that pretty easily by just nuking the fuck out of them ASAP. Crudlok also kind of tough, same tactics work though. Exploring Ettinmere now and my tactics failed me with all of the 2 Ettin + X wolves fights. Playing with a Sorcery build currently and I dont have a lot of (any!) crowd control, previously had just been Mark of Flaming everything to death pretty easily.

I am really loving this game. Even though you can respec easily, I have 3 characters going, one for each tree. I like Might the least, Sorcery the most. Finesse is a close second though, I really wish the Stealth was a little more useful. I understand that it is when you get smoke bomb, but I am not there yet.
    If you take care of any buddies a tresh may have you can 100% stunlock them by buttonmashing with a greatsword.

I thrust game designers New Romantic Teiman's Avatar
    psn: Teikman. | I have killed Atheon and survived the ontological weapons
    With mercantilism you dont have to go back to a vendor wen the bag is full, you use the empty trash button. Repair with the repair tools is much better than with the vendor. I have like 100 inventory slots now and usually i only go back home to store named items... In theory I may switch "class" any time and reequiq with named gear and sets, in practice i feel at home with the current set of skills. Blink is silent, so you can use blink to get quickly behind a mob...

World's End Supernova Brian Rubin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teiman View Post
    With mercantilism you dont have to go back to a vendor wen the bag is full, you use the empty trash button.
    Wait, what?

Account closed New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Rubin View Post
    Wait, what?

when you have mercantile skills, you get gold when you destroy item from your junk stash.

Seriously? Crap, I'm putting more points into that, then. Is it comparable to what you'd get if you sold it at a shop?

Social Worker
    Seriously? Crap, I'm putting more points into that, then. Is it comparable to what you'd get if you sold it at a shop?
    I think it maxes at 30% of shop value from what I remember but I could be wrong.

How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim James View Post
    Do people still do that? Occasionally a reviewer will say a game is too brown or gray. But I never hear any rants about it like we saw a decade ago. I hear more backlash against WoW style.
    A decade ago? Maybe it's a console thing, but the brown/grey bitching didn't really start until Gears of War and its many imitators. It's definitely a thing of this generation and the past five years or so. The old bald space marine thing goes hand in hand with it. And yes, it absolutely still happens every time anything that looks even remotely like Gears pops up in the AAA pipeline.

only 30%? Screw that then.

I thrust game designers New Romantic Teiman's Avatar
    psn: Teikman. | I have killed Atheon and survived the ontological weapons
    only 30%? Screw that then.
    Is a solution for wen you are deep in a dungeon, and you have the bag full, so you can't get more items.

But if you are "rich", and a lot of people seems to have this "problem", you can do it everywhere. Two "problems" solved at the same time.

Once I get rich, maybe, but I'm nowhere near there yet.

Hustle
    I don't understand the complaints about being too easy or overleveling. I have done every single quest/dungeon in the first two areas up to Rathir and never encountered an enemy less than yellow, bosses are always orange. I am straight Finesse, and am often killed/ overwhelmed by 8 plus enemies. I think this game is great so far.

You did the desert route to the south as well? With the gnome city at the end?

Social Worker
    Played the Finesse build today, once I hit the tier 4 abilities, I felt a lot more powerful. That ability that boosts crit damage is tremendous. Got stealth up pretty high with some items and have gotten a lot more mileage out of it.

And man, they did a great job with some of the Fateshift kills. Of recent note:Gnome, Niskaru, Thresh, all very cool.

I should really use fateshift more. I treat that fate meter like BFG ammo, saving it for when I need it, which is almost never because the game is totally easy anyway.

Hustle
    Quote Originally Posted by stusser View Post
    You did the desert route to the south as well? With the gnome city at the end?
    No, I plan on doing that next after doing everything in Rathir.

When you get there, you'll see grey enemies right away. I suggest you skip all sidequests and just do the main and faction quests.

Mad Chester
    My impression if that finesse isn't as omgwtfbbq as might at lower levels. I play finesse/sorc, and sorc is definitely what brings the pain at lower levels for me.

Hustle
    When you get there, you'll see grey enemies right away. I suggest you skip all sidequests and just do the main and faction quests.
    Yeah, I see there's grey enemies there. That's strange, I can see why some would mind. It doesn't bother me though, personally.

Social Worker
    I should really use fateshift more. I treat that fate meter like BFG ammo, saving it for when I need it, which is almost never because the game is totally easy anyway.
    I do that too, but if you use it you get a chance for the reagent Essence of Fate

Spoiler: Alchemy
    that lets you make a Fate potion which instantly fills your fate bar

Mad Chester
    Alchemy in this game has really made me appreciate the contrast between health/mana potions and everything else. My #1 dream for this game, and similar games, would be to totally revamp alchemy under the idea of having everything on the D-pad. Basically, in addition to having health as <- and mana as right, up would be +offense and down would be +defense. I'm NOT saying have just 1 generic type of offensive or defensive potion in the game, but instead that you only have 1 on your character at a time.

Alchemy magic skill could determine how much of your existing potion stock you could convert from one type of offensive potion into another. Say you are primarily a rogue and use poison offensively, but go into a fire area and decide you want ice damage -- if you didnt have alchemy leveled, you'd basically have to scrap all your potions and start making frost potions. On the other hand, if you had it leveled you could just convert some large fraction directly from poison to ice. Honestly, alchemy traditionally involves transmutation, so I'd argue if anything this treatment is closer to standard lore.

Alchemy skills could also obviously determine variety and strength of potions. I'm not saying throw out ingredients altogether -- some ingredients would be better for some recipes, and your alchemy strength could determine how well you convert raw nightshade into a frost potion.

Anyway, this would solve my #1 issues with potions -- Nobody wants to fiddle with menus for 30 seconds every 5 minutes to assign greater/lesser this that and the other to submenu #2. I will say that because this is such a simple idea and hasn't happened already, I don't have too much hope

If you're finding the constant combat tiresome and just want to get through the story like me, switch back to magic once you can get the meteor ability. It's ridiculous. One cast clears an entire room on easy.

Once again, PS3 gamers got the shaft compared to other versions.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...malur-face-off

However, the blur factor is only part of the story: it's not just the post-AA that is missing in the PlayStation 3 version - other effects are also absent. Most notably, Kingdoms of Amalur on Xbox 360 features an accomplished motion blur system that operates on both a camera and per-object level. This adds an additional level of fluidity and accomplishment to the presentation that is lacking on the PS3.

PlayStation 3 has also been pared back in other, less obvious areas - the shadowmap cascade is more noticeably aggressive compared to the Xbox 360 game, meaning that fewer objects cast shadows. Texture filtering on PS3 also lacks some of the precision we see on the Microsoft platform. Indeed, the 360 even seems to best the PC set-to-max levels (which includes anisotropy set to the highest level), which doesn't seem right, but it's there in the videos if you look for it.

Aside from the cleaner look afforded by the lack of post-process AA, the only real PlayStation 3 advantage we see comes from a higher-resolution implementation of the odd texture here and there, only really evident in cut-scenes where the artwork is pushed to the fore. Quite why the 360 suffers at these points isn't exactly clear. It may well be a streaming issue, it might just be a simple bug, but it has no impact to the experience overall.

Social Worker
    "got the shaft" is maybe a bit much, considering the conclusion:

In conclusion, it's safe to say that you can buy Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning on any of the three major HD gaming platforms and you're going to be in for a real treat. The experience on console is essentially interchangeable where it truly matters, but if we had to make a choice, it would have to be the Xbox 360 release. While the more minor visuals upgrades such as texture filtering and improved shadows are nice, it's the motion blur and reduced aliasing that makes it the marginally better buy.

I would say that when the PS3 is almost always getting the subpar version of a game compared to the 360 or PC, then "getting the shaft" is appropriate.

Neo Acoustic
    Started with pure finesse, switched to mostly might with a little bit of sorcery and am now full sorcery.

I think I went from pretty good to overpowered to godlike.

My only weakness at the moment is a lack of mana. What would be the best gems / blacksmith recipes to counteract this? +mana reg, +%mana reg, +mana and/or +% mana?

How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by Telefrog View Post
    I would say that when the PS3 is almost always getting the subpar version of a game compared to the 360 or PC, then "getting the shaft" is appropriate.
    Hopefully Sony has learned over the last 6 years and the PS4 won't be as clunky to work with. The PS3 was pretty much doomed to underperform on multiplatform titles from the start thanks to the wonky architecture and the insane original "nothing but seven Cell processors running together" concept. Devs do they best they can, but the PS3 is a cranky little thing.

It is? Huh, I love mine, but I've never owned a 360 so I'm likely ig'nant.

Quote Originally Posted by razarok View Post
    Started with pure finesse, switched to mostly might with a little bit of sorcery and am now full sorcery.

I think I went from pretty good to overpowered to godlike.

My only weakness at the moment is a lack of mana. What would be the best gems / blacksmith recipes to counteract this? +mana reg, +%mana reg, +mana and/or +% mana?
    Yes, like I said earlier, high-end sorcery is ridiculously powerful. You primarily want to combine +X mana per second gems with -% mana cost abilities/affixes.

As you level up and choose sorcery talents you get much more mana. I'm at the point now where casting meteor doesn't even norticeably drop my mana pool. And of course boss battles and distance enemies aside, 1 meteor clears an entire room, so I rarely need to cast anything else. When I do, the powered-up lightning storm takes care of anything remaining.

My review of Sorcery abilities--

storm bolt: I sometimes use this on single low-power enemies at range so I don't put meteor on cooldown.
    all weapon talents: unnecessary, but choose chakrams
    mark of flame: crap
    conservative casting: very useful at lower levels
    ice barrage: crap. Spreads out at range.
    healing surge: unnecessary since meteor oneshots entire rooms, but nice at lower levels
    summon zombie: horrible AI, 120s duration, just say no
    sphere: worth taking as it can stagger enemies that get close, allowing you to cast a powered-up lightning storm
    elemental rage: doesn't do enough damage, useless
    Tempest/Lightning storm: Core ability. Short wind-up time, but can one-shot most enemies. Close-ish range only.
    Meteor: core spell. Use on cooldown, clears/one-shots entire rooms. Short-ish cooldown too.
    Winter's Embrace (powered up ice): useless garbage. Low damage, doesn't kill anything.

Spinning Toe
    Mark of flame is crap? Do you mean at the higher levels or always? I'm not high enough level for meteor or lightning storm yet, so I'm only using mark of flame and storm bolt, and the former almost always does twice as much damage as the latter. Plus the AoE is larger and the cooldown is much shorter. Is there a lot more fire resistance later in the game?