Thread: Reckoning: Kingdoms Of Amalur is such a lousy name...

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by McKnight View Post
    The big benefit from crafting comes from getting access to stuff tiers above what you should be allowed have. The game seems to seed crude versions (or awful green versions in shops) of weapons and armor long before you should be able to get it. With crafting you can salvage that and then craft it into something ridiculously good.

Everything bar the helmet I'm using is crafted and far ahead of anything I've found apart from maybe the odd purple weapon as I reach the level cap for that tier (if that makes sense to you). There's definitely a bigger disparity at lower levels though.

I don't really want to talk much about mechanics and stuff like that (cos people are weird about what constitutes a spoiler) but people worrying about money, just stop. The games economy is one of the most broken I've seen in a long time (or at least broken far earlier then I would be used to in an RPG).
    I don't think talking about basic mechanics is a spoiler. I'd much rather know going in whether a specific path is worth it before spending hours realizing I should have been doing something different. Not saying this is the case with crafting, but I'm sort of cold on it right now, but it does seem as if it gets more powerful as you level (which makes sense).

New Romantic
    Ok, well here's the deal then.

Spoiler: general ability stuff
    Re-specing is super, super cheap. There are various trainers around the world that train you permanently in a skill once, if that skill is 3 or below. Therefore you will find yourself re-specing (because re-specing lowers your abilities to zero+permanent bonuses) purely to pick up these free bonuses, well they cost money but meh. So don't worry about any of your skill choices early in the game, they don't actually matter. Just have fun and experiment.

Some advice I will give though, get level 2 detect hidden ASAP followed by level 5 when you are 8. Hidden chests and doors are inaccessible unless you have the required skill level and the hidden loot containers have far better loot rolls then anything but boss chests. Put a point in Mercentile early aswell because the only time gold matters is in the first 8 or so levels of the game. One point in persuade is enough to pass the majority of persuade checks that matter, later on you might miss out on optional rewards but you'll have 2 points from training anyway. I'm 30ish now and with my 4 points I think I've failed one super low persuade check so far.

Max level blacksmithing and at least pristine sagecrafting is mandatory for crafting good stuff. It's insanely good, I doubt anything is going to come close to the usefulness of my stuff unless it's a full set of worth or top notch epic items (even then it might be a toss up)

Anything else you're unsure of just ask (or need clearing up, I'm on my first coffee of the day after all). I'll try to find out about alchemy, from what I've heard from people playing along with me is that it's strong but super micro-managey.
    Last edited by McKnight; 02-09-2012 at 07:43 AM.

Hustle
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim James View Post
    I believe this is a bigger debate beyond RA Salvatore. I thought Tom or someone recently wrote about the difference between writing a book and writing for a videogame. And I'm pretty sure gamers are usually skeptical when a team brings in a big name writer. It never ends up being that great. Crysis 2 was the most recent example off the top of my head. (I didn't play it, but I remember the comments.)

So I think you're encountering something that goes beyond 38 Studios and Salvatore. The mistake on their part might've been not knowing about the historically poor record big name writers have in videogames.

Again, this is all shooting from the hip with my vague understanding of the state of the industry. I might have it wrong.
    Still really like Betrayal at Krondor (Raymond E. Feist), though, so it can work.

Goodluck!!

Mature rating because?

My nephew's birthday is in a week. He's turning 13 and is psyched he can finally play teen games, though the standard has been slipping over the last year or so, and he's even managing to convince his dad to let him play 'M' shooters sometimes... it's become a slippery slope. Anyway, I know he'd love Amalur, but it's rated M. Can anyone who's played pretty far into it give me a sense of why? Strong language and mildly suggestive sexuality along the lines of what you see on broadcast tv doesn't bother his parents - god of war style blood and guts (especially when perpetrated on other humans) and hard R sexuality do though.

By way of comparison, I passed on getting him Skyrim for Christmas even though he desperately wanted it, because of the violence against other human/oids. Any advice welcome, thanks!

I thrust game designers New Romantic Teiman's Avatar
    I started a rebelion against ads. But I had to advertise it to have any success.
    I think theres a intense use of violence (like fatalities, and generally the urge to destroy stuff... ) , theres some sexuality... you know ...oh scandly clad elves womens... *sight*.

Other than that, I have not seen much, but I have not progress further than the starting area... probably there are some scary encounters (Spiders!) and some dead bodies.

New Romantic
    Judge for yourself:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP1zNnOhLBY

(Hint: if Skyrim is not okay, Amalur is really not okay.)

Quote Originally Posted by Giaddon View Post
    Why? I would consider Skyrim to be more "dark" and mature than Amalur. Maybe it's the art style. I think Amalur deserves M as much as Halo 3 did, which is to say I think it technically qualifies, but there's not much there that's objectionable.

Goodluck!!
    Judge for yourself:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP1zNnOhLBY

Woah!

Thanks much, that easily settles that.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Telefrog View Post
    Why? I would consider Skyrim to be more "dark" and mature than Amalur. Maybe it's the art style. I think Amalur deserves M as much as Halo 3 did, which is to say I think it technically qualifies, but there's not much there that's objectionable.
    Personally I think that the fateshift kills are unnecessarily gratuitous. This game could easily have been done as a T-rated one (maybe something later in the game will contradict me) without losing too much IMO.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Telefrog View Post
    Because in Skyrim, you never hoist someone up, overpowering their struggles, and impale them on a massive spike and watch them grow still as their life drains out of them and they slowly slide down the spike.

World's End Supernova Brian Rubin's Avatar
    Because in Skyrim, you never hoist someone up, overpowering their struggles, and impale them on a massive spike and watch them grow still as their life drains out of them and they slowly slide down the spike.
    Why would I want to play Skyrim then? ;) I LOVE the fate kills.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Markel View Post
    Personally I think that the fateshift kills are unnecessarily gratuitous. This game could easily have been done as a T-rated one (maybe something later in the game will contradict me) without losing too much IMO.
    Unnecessarily? They're totally needed, appreciated and adored, my friend.

I started a rebelion against ads. But I had to advertise it to have any success.
    No. Without the fatalities people would ask what is the point of the fate mode, turning it into a mere bullet time.
    The lore of the fate kill is that you are breaking fate threads, something normally reserved to gods. Its the character using a IC cheat code.

I was thinking that last night as my guy stuck a spike in the ground and picked up some dude and impaled him on it. It seemed like a rather abrupt shift in tone from light fantasy to suddenly dark and grotesque.

You guys are making this really hard to resist, I don't have time for this awesome game!

New Romantic
    try the smashing your dagger repeatedly through the head of an enemy lying down fatality then for kicks....

Honestly, I'd turn them off if I could

No, instead you slit people's throats from behind, get hired by a child to murder someone, and make deals with demons and insane gods. I get that the Fateshift kills are over the top, but the impact just seems lessened to me due to the Wow-like art style. There's just something more hard edged and brutal about Skyrim IMO.

Obviously I'm not saying that there's nothing objectionable from a parenting POV with regard to Amalur since that's subjective. I just find the comparison to Skyrim (and the idea that Amalur is more objectionable) to be kind of weird.
    Last edited by Telefrog; 02-09-2012 at 09:35 AM.

How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by lordkosc View Post
    You guys are making this really hard to resist, I don't have time for this awesome game!
    You may have time for this decent game, though. I really don't get why people are calling it awesome. Combat's great, but the rest of it is distinctly lacking. That said, I'm still playing 30 hours in, so it's not like I'd say it's a bad game. It's just...a game. And there's not much else to play right now.

I think it's awesome. The world is just the right type of colorful for me, I'm loving the combat system, at least mostly focused on magic, and the quests are plentiful.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by charmtrap View Post
    I was thinking that last night as my guy stuck a spike in the ground and picked up some dude and impaled him on it. It seemed like a rather abrupt shift in tone from light fantasy to suddenly dark and grotesque.
    I am not very far into the game, but there isn't really much light in tone about this other than the graphical style. The first town greeted me with a fae crying out and writhing in pain on the ground after a beating that no one stopped. The next quest had me tracking down a biological weapon that the local alchemist let fall into the wrong hands.

World's End Supernova
    Do the fateshift kills get better in the full game? The ones I saw in the demo were very bland and a lot less exciting than I wanted them to be. Kind of like the art style, world design, and graphics in general.

Of course, my scale might be off because I recently played Space Marine. I could watch the foot stomp execution a hundred times in a row and still guffaw at number 101.

They do seem to get more elaborate, at least that's what I've noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Angrycoder View Post
    I am not very far into the game, but there isn't really much light in tone about this other than the graphical style. The first town greeted me with a fae crying out and writhing in pain on the ground after a beating that no one stopped. The next quest had me tracking down a biological weapon that the local alchemist let fall into the wrong hands.
    Fair point. That WoW/cartoony style with the goofy gnomes and the faint glow that everything gives off really makes it feel light fantasy-ish even though it isn't really. I mean, the very first scene is your dead body being dropped onto a pile of rotting corpses.

Goodluck!!
    Quote Originally Posted by charmtrap View Post
    Fair point. That WoW/cartoony style with the goofy gnomes and the faint glow that everything gives off really makes it feel light fantasy-ish even though it isn't really. I mean, the very first scene is your dead body being dropped onto a pile of rotting corpses.
    That's basically what led to my question - I had this impression it was a light/cartoony style game, and was surprised to see the 'M' rating.

It's sort of funny, in that I already bought it for myself, it just hasn't arrived yet, and I paid no attention to the rating until I found out it was my nephew's birthday next week. Anyway thanks for the tips, this is not what he's getting for a gift from us ;-)

Humm... I don't know. I think most childrens tales are very hardcore really.

Cinderella is the tale of a prince kissing a dead women (necrophilia). Then theres other tale for a princess kissing a frog (zoophilia). Hamsel and Grettel is about two childrens facing the risk to be eaten by a witch ( canivalism ).

Social Worker
    You forgot Pinocchio (pedophilia).

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKeil View Post
    You may have time for this decent game, though. I really don't get why people are calling it awesome. Combat's great, but the rest of it is distinctly lacking. That said, I'm still playing 30 hours in, so it's not like I'd say it's a bad game. It's just...a game. And there's not much else to play right now.
    So far I agree with this and it is fulfilling its role in my life as "game I play while I wait for Mass Effect 3".

How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Rubin View Post
    I think it's awesome. The world is just the right type of colorful for me, I'm loving the combat system, at least mostly focused on magic, and the quests are plentiful.
    I don't disagree with any of that, but the world is also empty and oddly constraining, the quests are practically identical to one another, and the story/conversation presentation is like playing an alpha version of Dragon Age. Why does it letterbox down to like half the screen for a conversation? Why don't the voices ever match the lips?

I'm not a huge fantasy guy anyway, but I rarely skip dialogue in games and in Amalur I hammer the X button during conversations like my life depends on it. I just don't care about the tinkly winkly pixie wixie elfy welfy crap they all spout. Additionally, although the "the world is dictated by storytelling but you're outside of fate so you can change stuff at will" thing is a great idea for a videogame due to the very nature of the player character in an RPG, so far the game doesn't reflect that at all in terms of what I'm playing. Sure, NPCs blather on about how "ONLY THE GODS CAN DO THAT OMG" but I just don't feel like what I'm playing is synching up very well with what I'm reading.

On the whole, when it comes to open world action RPGing, I think Divinity II has this beat aside from the excellent combat.

So far I agree with this and it is fulfilling its role in my life as "game I play while I wait for Mass Effect 3".
    Exactly.
    Last edited by MattKeil; 02-09-2012 at 11:03 AM.

World's End Supernova
    For the rest of us that means "work on your backlog instead."

New Romantic
    Has anyone figured out how many potions it takes to fill 1 inventory slot? I've definitely seen it go up one slot when picking up a potion, but it doesn't happen every time.

Also, do lockpicks take up slots?

Quote Originally Posted by flyinj View Post
    Has anyone figured out how many potions it takes to fill 1 inventory slot? I've definitely seen it go up one slot when picking up a potion, but it doesn't happen every time.
    I've only had 10 or so stacked at once, but I know that it distinguishes between items that you stole and items that you made or bought. Stolen items (look for the red hand) take up their own slot.

Also, do lockpicks take up slots?
    I believe so.