Thread: Reckoning: Kingdoms Of Amalur is such a lousy name...

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by triggercut View Post
    Destarius is here to stick up for the ethics and morals of IGN.
    ...and 38 Studios.

Quote Originally Posted by Destarius View Post
    ...and 38 Studios.
    I've never had a problem with how 38's handled this. If I were working promo for them, I'd happily pull any levers and use any tools at my disposal to find a way to publicize a product--especially a product I believe in--in the best possible light to the highest number of eyes. That's what promo does. If I were working promo on this title and big website like IGN told me they liked the game so much that they wanted to do a "Review In Progress" in advance of a final review, I'd jump on that in a second and without hesitation. If after reading the three segments of the "Review In Progress", that same publication inquired about beating the embargo with their final review, I'd be ready to turn cartwheels.

What I have tried to express--and which you seem to blithely think is patently impossible--is that IGN had something of a lapse of journalist ethics here. My problem expressed up thread is entirely with IGN and their review process.

But hey, if you say that IGN are paragons of ethical gaming journalism, who am I to naysay it? Also, can I have some of that kool-aid?

Anyone know if we'll get a Skyrim-like unlock for the Steam version? (Meaning: it unlocks at midnight-ish) or will we have to wait until noon-ish PST on Tuesday?
    Answering myself: "sort of" appears to be the answer. Looks like Steam will unlock at 3 am EST/Midnight PST, which I believe coincides with the game unlocking via Origin as well.

No longer plays GeoSpark New Romantic krayzkrok's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadari View Post
    I take it this is a love-it-or-hate-it type of game.
    It's more of a love-it-or-hate-it demo. The actual game appears to be a lot better, mostly because the demo gets a lot better after the shitty first half.

World's End Supernova Brian Rubin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by razarok View Post
    I'm not sure but I saw a thread on the official forum of someone having created a tool to do so.
    Sigh, this is great for PC users --thanks for this, I should've been specific about platform -- but I was hoping my PS3 version would have the ability in the options screen to change the button functions.

Social Worker
    What I have tried to express--and which you seem to blithely think is patently impossible--is that IGN had something of a lapse of journalist ethics here. My problem expressed up thread is entirely with IGN and their review process.
    No, you insinuated that 38 Studios paid them for a biased review. Don't try to defend your baseless smear.

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by krayzkrok View Post
    It's more of a love-it-or-hate-it demo. The actual game appears to be a lot better, mostly because the demo gets a lot better after the shitty first half.
    Very few games have ever had a really interesting tutorial.

Quote Originally Posted by krayzkrok View Post
    I don't love or hate the demo. I assumed the linear tutorial bit in the beginning was lame just because most beginning tutorial bits are lame. Once it opened up, the game got better but it didn't jazz me enough to spend full price retail on it. I liked it, but not that much. I'll wait for the price drop on the PC.

So I know I pre-ordered my copy late in the game, but Amazon still says "Shipping Soon" on my orders page, and I WANT IT NAO!! AAARG! I really hope it gets here tomorrow.

I've got a couple of best buy gift cards from Christmas set aside for this. Hopefully they have the boxed PC version otherwise I'll pick it up for the Xbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Destarius View Post
    No, you insinuated that 38 Studios paid them for a biased review. Don't try to defend your baseless smear.
    I don't think anyone named 38. I certainly have no reason to think they were involved in anything fishy. EA and IGN sure, they have a history. 38 doesn't.

Neo Acoustic
    Still no preloading on Steam. I really hope they straighten this out soon; there's less than 14 hours until the game goes live, and I'm not convinced it will start downloading with the button already saying "Play."
    Last edited by Shimarenda; 02-06-2012 at 02:50 PM.

So hey y'all, someone asked this on another forum, but what type of character do y'all think y'all will play?

On my end, I'll be like, 80% magic and 20% blades/chakrams. This game's combat caters to my preferred play style -- long-range caster with blades if an enemy gets close enough -- so damn well, and in such as satisfying manner.

Neo Acoustic
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Rubin View Post
    So hey y'all, someone asked this on another forum, but what type of character do y'all think y'all will play?

On my end, I'll be like, 80% magic and 20% blades/chakrams. This game's combat caters to my preferred play style -- long-range caster with blades if an enemy gets close enough -- so damn well, and in such as satisfying manner.
    Played a few hours at an acquiaintances house with a console version that was street broken.

We went dagger + bow, although he said he might respec to fae blades since their style is great.

Pure rogue was great fun although magic was the most powerful early on, so that might become the OP choice.

I'm also hoping for the steam pre-load to still come else I will have to wait until Thursday.

I've not yet had a try at Fae Blades yet, but they look cool!

How To Go
    A couple of skill tree builders.

Here
    and
    here

Neo Acoustic
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Rubin View Post
    I've not yet had a try at Fae Blades yet, but they look cool!
    Pretty much everything does, though. The game really oozes style. Too bad the chakrams don't work with some of the finesse skills (like envenomed edge) or daggers/faeblades + chakram might be more exciting that bows.

Overall, if the game keeps up the level of what we saw in around 4 hours then I can asuredly say that those IGN guys did not lie when listing this game as a GOTY contender.

Those skill tree builder apps are AWESOME, thanks guys. I'm toying with what I want out of my character and so far it's about 30 points to sorcery and about 20 to finesse, and that's only level 15! Wowie!

Neo Acoustic
    Went through the game as a Universalist class, and focused on great swords, bows, lightning spell, and fire spell. Occasional backstabs with daggers or faeblades near the end.

How To Go
    Also somehow people are breaking the street date for the PC version. Apparently it's discussed on the penny-arcade forums but I cannot get in there.

How? It connects to Origin to decrypt the executable. Maybe they're using the demo executable or something? Or maybe using a euro VPN, like with Skyrim? But doesn't the game decrypt at 12AM PT, no matter where you're located?

Neo Acoustic
    No. Apparently the entire game on origin is completely unprotected.

The only thing there is is a date check to connect to the EA servers built into the .exe.

They are using the cracked .exe that was released 1-2-3 days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by stusser View Post
    How? It connects to Origin to decrypt the executable. Maybe they're using the demo executable or something? Or maybe using a euro VPN, like with Skyrim? But doesn't the game decrypt at 12AM PT, no matter where you're located?
    The game comes out on the 10th in Europe. So I doubt a Euro VPN would help (unless that date is only for UK?). Besides, apart from Eastern Europe, it's still Monday here.

Wendelius

What is the max level you can get in the game?

How To Go
    cracked .exe's make me nervous so I think I'll just wait. Thanks for the clarification.

I thrust game designers New Romantic Teiman's Avatar
    psn: Teikman. | I have killed Atheon and survived the ontological weapons
    Do we need a "no spoilers" "spoilers" thread?.

Quote Originally Posted by Teiman View Post
    Do we need a "no spoilers" "spoilers" thread?.
    Even though I'm gonna own the game, I still won't wanna read spoilers, but it might make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by razarok View Post
    No. Apparently the entire game on origin is completely unprotected.

The only thing there is is a date check to connect to the EA servers built into the .exe.

They are using the cracked .exe that was released 1-2-3 days ago.
    Awesome. I'm playing tonight!

Wait, where did they get an unencrypted exec though? If it's a cracked demo executable, I'll wait a day. Or are you saying that the game on origin, including the exec, is unencrypted? That would be mickey-mouse amateur-hour.

Neo Acoustic
    Quote Originally Posted by stusser View Post
    Awesome. I'm playing tonight!

Wait, where did they get an unencrypted exec though? If it's a cracked demo executable, I'll wait a day. Or are you saying that the game on origin, including the exec, is unencrypted? That would be mickey-mouse amateur-hour.
    The entire game on origin is unencrypted. However when executing the official .exe there is a date check.

The people who already play are using the cracked exe from the pirated release that was released a few days ago (according to some discussion on neogaf).

Hah, nice. I am so in.