Thread: Aerofly FS - New Civilian Flight Sim

Spinning Toe

Aerofly FS - New Civilian Flight Sim

So a bit of a civilian flight sim resurgance as of late. Here's another one.

This is from a German developer that has previously done some Radio control airplane sims. It is entirely based in Switzerland, which appears to be a rather pleasant place to mosey about in an aircraft. The scenery and lighting are actually pretty stunning, to my eyes.

A couple of videos:

http://youtu.be/KAZwLM_mVzo

http://youtu.be/tbs0myDheaM

Not focused on complex cockpits, but the physics and flight model look good, and there's a nice variety of aircraft. Supports TrackIR. Reminds me a bit of the grand old Flight Unlimited series in terms of scope.

It is $39.95 in that crazy Euro currency for those folks in Deutschland. English version doesn't appear to be available yet.

Well, that's really, really nice.

Social Worker
    Where the heck did this come from? That looks really nice, and an entire country in satellite imagery.. ok, yeah, fantastic.

I can't make heads or tails of their store, though.

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by spiffy View Post

I can't make heads or tails of their store, though.
    Not available in their US store, yet. It looks like it'll be ready in February, based on a post in their forum.

Social Worker
    Oh, ok. I confused the AeroflyFS for the aerofly5 thingie with the usb doohickies for 250 euro. They should tidy up their site a bit.

Anyway, sweet, good to see another contender.

Goodluck!!
    This is now available, including in the us. I would have purchased it today if there were a digital download option.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenchess View Post
    This is now available, including in the us. I would have purchased it today if there were a digital download option.
    No digital? What the hell? Hah, well, no buy from me either.

Would have been an instant purchase as well.

Social Worker
    The terrain in that video looks fantastic.

Hustle
    Could they have made ordering it any more difficult? I searched their site for 20 minutes before I found this forum post:
    In checking the ordering link for the US this morning found it was up and active. Click on the Shop menu link at the top of the page, then select Shop USA, then click Flight Simulators in the left hand menu, then click Aerofly FS in the center menu and you are at the order page.

As some folks seem to be reporting difficulty in receiving their orders, I'm going to hold off for now, but gee, yeah the videos make me drool.
    Last edited by Giles Habibula; 02-10-2012 at 11:10 PM.

Hustle
    Has anyone here had any success ordering this?!?

I am trying like hell to order the damn thing, but the site won't let me even get so far as creating an account! I carefully fill out both the billing and shipping sections, click "Store Now", and it promptly returns an error, telling me to fill out the sections containing an asterisk...Which I've done 6 separate times now!!! Good lord, I've never, ever had such trouble ordering anything before.

Well, thankfully, this is all happening before it asks for my credit card info. I'm about ready to give up.
    Last edited by Giles Habibula; 02-17-2012 at 08:31 PM.

How To Go
    Seattlish. XBL:Editer PSN:DennyA These are my opinions, not my employer's, but they should be yours.
    I really want this, but I'm going to wait for US company to pick it up. Or at least digital distribution...

Hustle
    Never mind. Figured it out. Turns out you have to actually go through the ordering process first instead of using the "My Account" page (which I thought I could do, since I had already created a log-in and password)--(this in spite of the fact that placing the item in your cart automatically places a $22.45 shipping charge on the item, since it doesn't know where you live, so it adds the Puerto Rico charge). So THEN you go to page 2, where you put in your address and stuff. THEN you go to page 3, which asks for your credit card info. However, since it still had the $22.45 shipping charge instead of the $8.95 it's supposed to have, before entering my CC info, I went back to the My Cart page, where I removed the item from the cart, and re-added it. NOW, it had the correct shipping charge, since apparently my address was automatically saved when I previously had transitioned from the address page (page 2) to the Credit Card page (page 3). I then completed the order as normal (however, I was not given the 3% discount for ordering over the internet).

I feel as if I just gambled $57.44 however. We'll see if I actually receive it. The address fields used by their form asked for the Street name before the House Number, the Zip Code before the City name, and the Country before the State.

And by God, when I got my email confirmation, that's exactly the way it's apparently going to be placed on the box. If it actually arrives here, I'll be very thankful. And apparently, it just ships from Florida.

Also, though their "Security" info page states they use all the latest security methods, when I ordered, I was somewhat disturbed that I noticed no https in the bar, nor did the bar turn green, or any of that usual stuff that makes me feel secure. Guess I'll be checking my credit card balance frequently as well.

The Most Convoluted Ordering Experience Ever.

edit: Though it is not detailed anywhere on a separate line or anything, apparently I was indeed given the 3% discount, since the $57.44 total reflects this.
    Last edited by Giles Habibula; 02-17-2012 at 09:38 PM.

Hustle
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    I really want this, but I'm going to wait for US company to pick it up. Or at least digital distribution...
    Apparently, it ships from Cape Coral, Florida via UPS.

The website says you can also order via phone or email (though of course you'll lose the 3% discount if you do it that way). I'm thinking I should have ordered by phone. That way, they'd have got my address put down in the right sequence.

From the website:

3. Ordering
    You may place your order via phone 239-540-0067, e-mail: [email protected], http://www.ikarus-usa.com.

At any rate, I'll post an update if and when my order gets here.
    Edit: And yeah, while I'm normally a luddite in that I MUCH prefer a physical disk over a download, in this case, I would have opted for a download rather than going through all this. And ordering it through Amazon would have been ideal.
    Last edited by Giles Habibula; 02-17-2012 at 10:04 PM.

Goodluck!!
    The postal address ordering

Streetname Number
    Postcode City

is used in many European countries, such as Germany where that company is located.

But thanks for being brave enough to check this out; I am looking forward to hearing your impressions. In particular, I wonder how well the gliders and thermals are modelled.
    Last edited by Airscrew; 02-18-2012 at 12:18 AM.

New Romantic
    It is absolutey absurd that they don't offer a download for their product in this day and age.

I bought a new PC last year and the only reason I put a DVD drive on it was to install the OS.

Hustle
    Quote Originally Posted by Airscrew View Post
    I wonder how well the gliders and thermals are modelled.
    Dude, I'm lucky if I can get airborne in a flight sim. The best I can do is tell you how it installs and how well it runs. :)
    Beyond that, well I'll do my best.

And thanks for the addressing info. I guess I'll write them another email and tell them to disregard my previous email, which "corrected" their formatting.

Social Worker
    Yeah, if they had a download option for GB residents I'd have picked it up already. As it is, Microsoft Flight is due on the 27th as a free download, so this is now queued behind that, if they ever make it easy to order.

How To Go
    Seattlish. XBL:Editer PSN:DennyA These are my opinions, not my employer's, but they should be yours.
    I tried to order it from http://www.ikarus-usa.com and it kept dumping me back to the address entry screen without telling me what info it didn't like. Sigh.

Hustle
    I tried to order it from http://www.ikarus-usa.com and it kept dumping me back to the address entry screen without telling me what info it didn't like. Sigh.
    Did you first create a login and password before going through the ordering? I have no idea if it matters, but it's the only other thing I did before all those other steps I listed above.

How To Go
    It was the stupid box for the house number.

I sent them a long e-mail spelling out all the problems with ordering. They have to be losing tons of sales due to this idiocy. If it was anything but a flight sim, I'd have just skipped it.

Social Worker
    Check out this guys gear
    It's in Norwegian but the movie is well worth a look..

Amazing what he's done..but the graphics engine of the game is in dire need of some upgrades.

Hustle
    In case anyone else is concerned about ordering because of worries about actually receiving it, I got mine via UPS on Monday, 9 days after placing my order. My address was indeed formatted correctly, and I had sent 2 emails (both responded to by a guy named Frank Heinrich), and made 1 phone call, during which I got to speak with Frank Heinrich in person! He was very friendly, but seemed rushed.

Anyway, once I got past the convoluted online ordering system, it was clear sailing, and Frank answered all my questions promptly.

I haven't yet had a chance to actually install the sim however. I'll try to post an update when I do.

How To Go
    I haven't gotten mine, but the sent an e-mail apologizing that they ran out and said they'd have more in mid-March. Oh well, I have MS Flight in the meantime! Many achievements to unlock there!

(But seriously, running out? All that cost-of-goods and handling-for-shipping could be profit if it was available digitally. Apparently it's available on the Mac App Store digitally, but my MacBook Air is not my sim platform...)

I also got X-Plane 10 -- talk about cost of goods! And it's the usual mess of "wow" and "for the love of God, Austin, even Derek Smart can do better UI."

Hustle
    Sorry to hear that, Denny. "Running out" of stock takes me back to the 1990's. The lack of a download option these days is truly baffling, and I cannot think of one good reason for not offering it. And considering how difficult they made it to navigate their ordering setup, I estimate they would have maybe 5 times the orders by simply making the physical version easier to order or by having it available through Amazon, and maybe 50 times the orders by offering a download version.

Anyway, the sim installed without a hitch. It takes 20.4 gigs on my hard drive, and took maybe 10 to 15 minutes to install. Comes on 2 dual-layer DVDs. It will run without the online activation, but without all planes and features active. I just took their word for this, and went ahead and activated right away. I could not find any information on how to go about installing it on a second computer, such as if you need to de-activate it on the first one. This kind of thing tends to worry me for future installs.

The 20-page manual is entirely in German, which caused me some concern, but the pdf English version is supposed to be on one of the disks. I didn't look for it, and instead found it here. Chose English when the install started, and all menus are in English.

I took it for a quick spin in the default Cessna. The sim auto-detected my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick flawlessly, and I'm happy with the default settings it chose for it.

My rig is not state-of-the-art by any means: Core i7 870, 8 gigs ram, GTX570 1.2 gig, WD black 2TB. I set the in-sim settings as high as they would go across the board with Vertical Sync on, and I'm getting a very steady 60 fps at my monitor's native 1920 x 1200.

Performance is silky-smooth, and it is quite gorgeous, although there are vast areas of not-so-high detail (fields, roads, etc.) close-up. The high-detail areas look incredible from any height however. In short, it looks great and runs very, very nicely. Messed around with it for about a half-hour without any problems or hiccups.

The only thing I could find fault with in my brief time with it was damage modeling. There is none. Crash into something, and the wings fall off, and the sim re-starts itself. You can adjust the amount of time until it re-starts, but there's no point. If you crash into anything, nothing spectacular will happen. Your wings will fall off, and the plane may tip over, but that's about it.

I haven't flown a sim for years, so I'm not competent enough to offer any details on how accurate anything is (nor was I ever, actually), but it feels okay to me. Hopefully, someone more competent will come along to address those things.

Social Worker
    Giles, any missions or scenarios, or is it completely free-flight? Any weather/cloud stuff to speak of?

I also got X-Plane 10 -- talk about cost of goods! And it's the usual mess of "wow" and "for the love of God, Austin, even Derek Smart can do better UI."
    Care to share those impressions and comparisons with FSX/flight? I've only tried the XP9 demo, which was underwhelming, graphically. I'm loving the sudden glut of new sims, and even though I'd need a new system for XP10, it's on my radar.

Social Worker
    I will take one for the team and buy this on the Mac App store today, assuming it's available.

Hustle
    Quote Originally Posted by spiffy View Post
    Giles, any missions or scenarios, or is it completely free-flight? Any weather/cloud stuff to speak of?
    I'm just home briefly, but I quicky fired it up. It appears to have 27 "Challenges", but they seem kind of lame. They look to be mostly tutorial stuff. "Fly from point A to Point B", "Perform a particular maneuver at this mountain", that kind of thing.

Clouds, yes. Cumulus or Cirrus. You can set height on them. They are very pretty, but yeah, just 2 kinds, and no option for rain or storms that I could see.

Set wind direction and variation None to Strong, up to 30 knots.
    Set thermals None to Strong.

For now, I guess I'd treat it as a free-flight sim. Hopefully, they'll be adding more options as time goes on.

How To Go
    Giles Habibula, I'm pretty sure the lack of damage modeling is due to them licensing the plane designs from Cessna, et. al. A dumb restriction, but the same reason some driving sims don't have car damage -- the manufacturers don't want graphical representations of their products mangled and burning. That was what I was told when I asked publishers about a couple of civilian sims not having crash modeling back in my CGW flight sim column days.

Spiffy, I'll post some impressions of X-Plane after I have a chance to spend some time with it. Between Flight, Mass Effect 3 next week, and Aerofly FS coming in mid-March, it may be a while. :) My experience with previous versions is that it's a fun sim to toy around in, modifying planes, doing X-15 flights from a B-52, etc. Noticed the Mars terrain isn't included anymore -- I remember in an old X-plane it was fun to try to create planes that could fly in the Mars atmosphere. You should have seen the wings on my rocket-assisted Mars B-52!

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by Giles Habibula View Post
    The only thing I could find fault with in my brief time with it was damage modeling. There is none. Crash into something, and the wings fall off, and the sim re-starts itself. You can adjust the amount of time until it re-starts, but there's no point. If you crash into anything, nothing spectacular will happen. Your wings will fall off, and the plane may tip over, but that's about it.
    I thought that the crash stuff in this video seemed better than what we typically see in a civilian sim. Yeah, the wings just fall off and it rolls around a bit, but it looks to be vaguely driven by physics. A crash in FSX just has your plane sticking to the point of impact followed by a reload.

Hustle
    Denny, yeah that makes perfect sense, I wasn't thinking along those lines.

BiggerBoat, all the crashes in that video were much more spectacular than I was able to manage in my two attempts at crashes. Cool. Glad to know it's possible. :)