Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Skyrim: mods and tweaks

I thrust game designers New Romantic Teiman's Avatar
    psn: Teikman. online in european timezones
    Getting FOV resetted is getting on my nerves. I hope is fixed on a hotpach.

It adds, randomnly, the feel that the game is "wrong".

Quote Originally Posted by Teiman View Post
    Getting FOV resetted is getting on my nerves. I hope is fixed on a hotpach.

It adds, randomnly, the feel that the game is "wrong".
    Set it and don't fast travel.

How does that grab you?

Social Worker
    If you need to bring someone back to life -- say, you cleared out a dungeon while exploring that's later used as part of a questline, leaving you with an objective marker pointing at a corpse to "assassinate", you can do this by opening the console, clicking the corpse and typing 'resurrect'.

This has already saved me twice! The other time was when I killed someone with a key on them whose body was stuck in a wall and I couldn't loot.

Here's my preliminary laundry list of mods I'd like to see...

1. World re-texture. Especially for dungeon interiors, rocks, and ground clutter.
    2. DX 11 shaders, a la the OBGE project for Oblivion.
    3. OBGE-like water, especially where the water hits shoreline and land features/rocks.
    4. Context for shutting the townfolk up; when someone is explaining an important save the foozle quest to you, I don't need some dork haranguing me about his favorite armor shop.
    5. Some face and body re-skinning. Faces are much improved over Oblivion. We're real close here to making pretty people actually look pretty...just need some tighter texture resolution I think on the normal maps for faces.
    6. Better lighting at night. Skyrim seems to use a system like Texian's old mod for window lighting. C'mon. We've got at the least dx 10 cards out here. Give me light sources, please? And let's include with that chimneys that smoke and the lighting on intelligent timer scripts.
    7. Views through interior windows to the exterior. Again, c'mon. I know this is tough to do....but it can be done.

Account closed How To Go
    Lafayette, IN ---> XBL: Cubit33 --------------> PSN: Cubit85 -------------->
    Quote Originally Posted by triggercut View Post
    7. Views through interior windows to the exterior. Again, c'mon. I know this is tough to do....but it can be done.
    I doubt this is even possible with the engine, since each area you enter is loaded and seems unconnected with the previous area the player was in.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubit View Post
    I doubt this is even possible with the engine, since each area you enter is loaded and seems unconnected with the previous area the player was in.
    Same with Oblivion, this still got modded in.

Doubt no more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hybFXXPOiQ

Account closed How To Go
    Lafayette, IN ---> XBL: Cubit33 --------------> PSN: Cubit85 -------------->
    Same with Oblivion, this still got modded in.

Doubt no more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hybFXXPOiQ
    Ah, I thought you meant looking out a window to see the people and buildings nearby. Yeah, can't wait to see a Skyrim version of the All Natural mod.
    Last edited by Cubit; 11-12-2011 at 08:49 AM.

Social Worker
    But that's just lightning, you can't really see what's happening outside/inside since the scenes are not connected.

All Natural does not show people outside, but it absolutely does show buildings and weather and terrain outside. Re-watch the video, and you can see the eaves from a building through the window out there.

The view is also contextual, meaning you what you see outside depends on where you're standing and what direction you're looking through the window. You can stand at a window with that Oblivion mod and survey the lay of the land outside.

Mad Chester
    See a true Arachnophob will quickly realize that these are merely Spider in bear costumes. The minds eye will do the rest. Way to double the terror for them!

Neo Acoustic
    Came across this shadow tweak on reddit. Not at my system atm so I can't vouch for it but...

Before: http://i.imgur.com/CS9yK.jpg
    After: http://i.imgur.com/K3cIu.jpg

Required Changes to INI:
    fShadowBiasScale=0.1500
    fInteriorShadowDistance=2500.0000
    fShadowDistance=2500.0000
    iBlurDeferredShadowMask=3
    iShadowMaskQuarter=4
    iShadowMapResolution=4096
    iShadowFilter=4
    fShadowLODStartFade=500.0000
    iShadowMode=4
    bTreesReceiveShadows=1
    bDrawLandShadows=1
    bDrawShadows=1
    bShadowMaskZPrepass=0
    iShadowMapResolutionSecondary=4096
    iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=4096
    bTreesReceiveShadows=1
    bDrawLandShadows=1

Also did this:

You need to download and run nVidia Inspector (it's available at Guru3d's site, among other places)...basically, a GPU-Z like app specific to nVidia cards.

Once run, click the configuration icon (the screwdriver and wrench icon) to the right of the 'driver version' field. This brings up a new window with a lot of options. In the top of this window is a drop-down box. You'll note that it's set to the 'Global' stuff by default. Click the drop-down, and find the Skyrim option. (Depending on your driver version or how you added the profile, this may show up as 'Skyrim', 'tesv.exe', or 'Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim') Select it.

With the Skyrim option selected, there are three fields you need to change:

Ambient Occlusion Compatibility (in the top section) - default 0x0000000, change to 0x00000003 (Fallout 3)
    Ambient Occlusion setting (fourth section down) - default Off, change to High Quality (or whatever you want)
    Ambient Occlusion usage (same section as last) - default Disabled, change to Enabled

Quote Originally Posted by datter View Post
    Came across this shadow tweak on reddit. Not at my system atm so I can't vouch for it but...
    They're very nice but they have a huge performance impact on my system.

Account closed New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by chequers View Post
    If you need to bring someone back to life -- say, you cleared out a dungeon while exploring that's later used as part of a questline, leaving you with an objective marker pointing at a corpse to "assassinate", you can do this by opening the console, clicking the corpse and typing 'resurrect'.

This has already saved me twice! The other time was when I killed someone with a key on them whose body was stuck in a wall and I couldn't loot.
    Sounds like most of the console commands we used to fix broken quests in FO3 and New Vegas will still be functional and still be required for skyrim, then. You'll probably need to learn player.placeatme, resurrect, movetoqt, and other commands used to unfuck quests that got themselves stuck in a broken state.

How To Go
    Crossfire users - make sure you're using the Oblivion CF profile (using Radeonpro, if necessary). That bumped my framerate by 20-30fps outdoors at 2560x1600 res, since by default skyrim only uses one GPU (being worked on now, according to @catalystcreator)

Neo Acoustic
    Quote Originally Posted by datter View Post
    I have an ATI Radeon 6850, so couldn't do the second half of this, but oh my god - this tweak is _excellent_. All my gripes about shadows are gone, and there was no apparent frame rate hit (based on playing, not based on hard numbers - I don't want to cry finding I'm really at 25fps or something... it _feels_ just fine). The improvement is eleventy times better than default.

EDIT: Er... but it doesn't seem to stick. Worked once just awesomely, but now on subsequent reloads, it doesn't seem to apply anymore despite no changes to the .ini. Aiiieeee

EDIT2: Fixed I think. Easy to get lots of duplicated lines in the .ini file, and it appears that the FIRST setting will always take effect, even if you try to override it later. I cleaned up the file to remove duped lines and I think it is working as expected once again.
    Last edited by Daagar; 11-12-2011 at 03:21 PM.

Neo Acoustic
    Set mouse scaling to match in both X and Y (add to Skyrim.ini):

[Controls]
    fMouseHeadingYScale=0.0100
    fMouseHeadingXScale=0.0100

The default has X at 0.0200 and Y at 0.0100. Courtesy of gaming.stackexchange.com

World's End Supernova
    The bulk of the shadow tweak listed above is what I discovered in the other thread. (I should make a summary post in here, duh.) Set the three ShadowMap variables to 4096, then make sure fShadowDistance is around 2500 (Ultra sets it to 8000). The rest is filtering and further improvements, most of which are set with Ultra. The key is dropping that distance value back down.

Thanks for the mouse scaling fix. That was bothering me.

Social Worker
    Well I got rid of the 4096 shadows...in heavily forested area it dropped my FPS to 40. I do not notice bad shadows that much, but fps drop from 60 I notice immediately..so I am back to my old settings, ultra with shadows dropped to high, with two ini tweaks to enable shadows on trees and land. That way I can keep it at 60 permanently.

How are people managing switching weapons? I am going primarily dual weilding melee, with a bow for range. I want to have some magic support. I have set up the various weapons and spells as favorites, and assigned quick slots to them. I can reliably switch between the bow and my melee weapons, but if I switch to magic, the system does not seem to want to switch back to dual weapons - one hand will always stay with magic.

Anyonse else experience this?

New Romantic
    This shit about shadow animating/updating every 10-20 seconds (yep, no matter the settings, it happens to all of you) MAKES NO SENSE.

The adjustment is about shadows getting updated to the position of the sun, and I've also noticed that at midday the interval is very short (about 6 seconds) and it slows down in the evening.

The absurdity is that one guesses this twitchy update is due to optimization since doing it real time would be taxing, but someone on the forums has found a way to tweak the time scale in the game.

For example:
    set timescale to 1

via console sets the game in "realtime" (meaning 1 real minute corresponds to a minute in the game). If you set it to something like "8" then you get a good compromise, since the game is about 1/3 more slow and shadows that updated every 6 seconds now update every 18 (I also think this timescale is better since on default hours pass too fast).

Then I set it to 99, meaning that time passes every quickly and shadows move constantly.

Well, no FPS loss. I've done it on the very top of a city where FPS where already about 28, so in a stressed situation, and the constantly updating shadows didn't make the fps counter budge. No difference between the timescale to 1 or 99.

So it MAKES NO SENSE that they can't make it simply realtime, it has no impact on FPS.

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_cze View Post
    Well I got rid of the 4096 shadows...in heavily forested area it dropped my FPS to 40. I do not notice bad shadows that much, but fps drop from 60 I notice immediately..so I am back to my old settings, ultra with shadows dropped to high, with two ini tweaks to enable shadows on trees and land. That way I can keep it at 60 permanently.
    I haven't tried it in forests yet but there's no way I can go back. It's the worst blocky pixels I've seen in 10 years. You might try a few other things just in case. Try setting shadows to Low, then set parameters to 4096. Or try lowering the fShadowDistance until the fade in / draw distance becomes so close it's distracting. You could also try setting everything to 2048. I think one parameter defaults at 1024, so maybe that will help. I don't know.

It seems so broken that I wouldn't be surprised we get a fix in the next patch. id goofed up the texture map size for videocards with large memory, so you never know. Maybe the sun movement too. Both changes are major leaps backwards from vanilla Oblivion.

Quote Originally Posted by sharaleo View Post
    How are people managing switching weapons? I am going primarily dual weilding melee, with a bow for range. I want to have some magic support. I have set up the various weapons and spells as favorites, and assigned quick slots to them. I can reliably switch between the bow and my melee weapons, but if I switch to magic, the system does not seem to want to switch back to dual weapons - one hand will always stay with magic.

Anyonse else experience this?
    I was just about to try this. I was worried that dual wielding would confuse the favorites. I guess you could always assign each blade to separate numbers and tap them individually.

Quote Originally Posted by Desslock View Post
    Crossfire users - make sure you're using the Oblivion CF profile (using Radeonpro, if necessary). That bumped my framerate by 20-30fps outdoors at 2560x1600 res, since by default skyrim only uses one GPU (being worked on now, according to @catalystcreator)
    I gave that a go, and while my FPS went way up, now I've got some pretty terrible stutter. Did you see the same? Surprising, as I'm CFing a pair of 6950s and the rest of the system is top tier.

Social Worker
    Edit: Mods are the shit, yo.
    Last edited by instant0; 11-12-2011 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Something about spoilers

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by chequers View Post
    Can we please keep spoilers out of this thread?
    Sorry. With all the Skyrim threads I thought I was replying to the Spoiler one.

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by HRose View Post
    So it MAKES NO SENSE that they can't make it simply realtime, it has no impact on FPS.
    That timescale stuff you found is neat; sooner or later I'll mess around with it too. But regarding the quoted statement perhaps they found issues on one or both consoles that required the settings they're using and for ease of developing/QA/testing they used same settings on all three platforms.

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by Daagar View Post
    Set mouse scaling to match in both X and Y (add to Skyrim.ini):

[Controls]
    fMouseHeadingYScale=0.0100
    fMouseHeadingXScale=0.0100

The default has X at 0.0200 and Y at 0.0100. Courtesy of gaming.stackexchange.com
    I just tried this. It makes me wonder: do most games use equal sensitivity for X and Y? What about Bethesda games? Because now that I've made them equal, the Y direction feels very fast. It's going to take some time to get used to it.

World's End Supernova
    Before: http://i.imgur.com/CS9yK.jpg
    After: http://i.imgur.com/K3cIu.jpg

Required Changes to INI:
    fShadowBiasScale=0.1500
    fInteriorShadowDistance=2500.0000
    fShadowDistance=2500.0000
    iBlurDeferredShadowMask=3
    iShadowMaskQuarter=4
    iShadowFilter=4
    fShadowLODStartFade=500.0000
    iShadowMode=4
    bTreesReceiveShadows=1
    bDrawLandShadows=1
    bDrawShadows=1
    bShadowMaskZPrepass=0
    iShadowMapResolutionSecondary=4096
    iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=4096
    bTreesReceiveShadows=1
    bDrawLandShadows=1

Also did this:

You need to download and run nVidia Inspector (it's available at Guru3d's site, among other places)...basically, a GPU-Z like app specific to nVidia cards.

Once run, click the configuration icon (the screwdriver and wrench icon) to the right of the 'driver version' field. This brings up a new window with a lot of options. In the top of this window is a drop-down box. You'll note that it's set to the 'Global' stuff by default. Click the drop-down, and find the Skyrim option. (Depending on your driver version or how you added the profile, this may show up as 'Skyrim', 'tesv.exe', or 'Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim') Select it.

With the Skyrim option selected, there are three fields you need to change:

Ambient Occlusion Compatibility (in the top section) - default 0x0000000, change to 0x00000003 (Fallout 3)
    Ambient Occlusion setting (fourth section down) - default Off, change to High Quality (or whatever you want)
    Ambient Occlusion usage (same section as last) - default Disabled, change to Enabled

These changes are awesome. There is something subtle about the tree shading that gets enabled in those settings that makes the world look that much better.

Neo Acoustic
    Found the real reason my settings seem to get clobbered. Using the launcher will wipe out certain settings each time (ie., all those nice nice shadow settings), even if you don't make any config changes. Running from the .exe will prevent this.

It might be possible to prevent this (this is one hell of a kludge) by removing the lines you don't want modified from the low/medium/etc ini files found in the main game folder. The game seems to copy settings from these files into skyrim_default.ini, and then from there into your skyrimprefs.ini. If they aren't there, then they won't get overwritten. Untested - probably easier to just launch the .exe, and backup/replace your .ini if you need to run the launcher.

Account closed Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Daagar View Post
    Found the real reason my settings seem to get clobbered. Using the launcher will wipe out certain settings each time (ie., all those nice nice shadow settings), even if you don't make any config changes. Running from the .exe will prevent this.

It might be possible to prevent this (this is one hell of a kludge) by removing the lines you don't want modified from the low/medium/etc ini files found in the main game folder. The game seems to copy settings from these files into skyrim_default.ini, and then from there into your skyrimprefs.ini. If they aren't there, then they won't get overwritten. Untested - probably easier to just launch the .exe, and backup/replace your .ini if you need to run the launcher.
    You know there are two .ini's? One in the game folder and one in Documents/My Games/Skyrim? Might be the problem (I use the second, and that seems to work).

Also, this is a good compilation of hints and tweaks.

Neo Acoustic
    Yep, but the one in Documents will get clobbered as well (not all of it, possibly, but portions of it).