Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 LastLast

Thread: XBOX LIVE HACKED!

World's End Supernova
    It's like if the government laced our toilet paper with LSD in order to make us more susceptible to hypnotic suggestion! But then they also put carcinogenic chemicals in it, in case we break free, so that we won't live long enough to tell others about it.

It's JUST like that.

Neo Acoustic
    I was inspired by the quick turn around people have been having lately so I called MS tonight. It turns out they sent my case resolution and points codes to the unauthorized email that got added to my account. Luckily, they hadn't been spent yet so the rep read me off the codes and now I have my points back. Hooray.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrenM View Post
    No doubt. I just think it's a little extreme to be thankful you don't have an xbox because of it. There are millions of people who haven't been hacked.
    Call me extreme then. It's not worth having an x-box to deal with these kind of problems. Even MS is making note of this problem... no need to downplay it. After all, it's not the number of people being hacked that's the issue... it's the response.

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesrie View Post
    Call me extreme then. It's not worth having an x-box to deal with these kind of problems. Even MS is making note of this problem... no need to downplay it. After all, it's not the number of people being hacked that's the issue... it's the response.
    I'm not defending MS on this, I'm just saying that being glad that you're not part of the best console gaming platform to come along since the NES because some people are getting their accounts hacked is a little over dramatic. That's all.

Besides, as this thread has stated multiple times, the recovery seems to be down to about 3 days now so even if you DO get hacked it's hardly tragic.

But, yeah, keep missing out on some of the best games in this generation. Rock on.

New Romantic
    Ah OK. If you hear anything, please do report back. That sounds hella useful.
    It seems I lied to you all - Sorry about that. What was alluded to, was the fact that you can add an additional layer of security to your console via having to enter a passcode every time you use your xbox live account.

You can get the passcode stored on your local machine, but anyone trying it on another console, will have to enter the passcode.

I'd rather have the other option though - Or the Steam version which I find patently brilliant. Accessing from an unknown computer prompts a code being sent to your mail adress. Pretty good security.

My brother brought his profile up on a USB stick for 4 days last week and he had to re-log in (entering email and password) to be able to use it on my console (and was offered a "do you want to avoid having to do this ever again on here" prompt). He didn't have to do that last February.

Obviously that's not much use if your email & password are in the hands of a hacker but I thought I'd mention it. :)

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by Razgon View Post
    It seems I lied to you all - Sorry about that. What was alluded to, was the fact that you can add an additional layer of security to your console via having to enter a passcode every time you use your xbox live account.

You can get the passcode stored on your local machine, but anyone trying it on another console, will have to enter the passcode.

I'd rather have the other option though - Or the Steam version which I find patently brilliant. Accessing from an unknown computer prompts a code being sent to your mail adress. Pretty good security.
    Ahh OK. Bummer ... thanks for reporting back though!

There was something I read that made passcodes all but useless. I can't remember what it was now but they're super simple to disable so it's more of a placebo than anything else.

Social Worker
    I think the passcode is stored on the local machine (at least that's my recollection from adding a second Xbox to my house a while back). If you can recover the account using the Live ID you can access the account IIRC.

It's possible they changed this when they made profiles more floating, but I kind of doubt it.

Social Worker
    I'm not defending MS on this, I'm just saying that being glad that you're not part of the best console gaming platform to come along since the NES because some people are getting their accounts hacked is a little over dramatic. That's all.

Besides, as this thread has stated multiple times, the recovery seems to be down to about 3 days now so even if you DO get hacked it's hardly tragic.

But, yeah, keep missing out on some of the best games in this generation. Rock on.
    I am not interested in some sort of re-hashed console war. I find MS's response to this over the past year or so... terrible. Hacking happens. Piss poor CSR, that you can stop. 3 month issues... still happening.

New Romantic
    It would seem you are interested.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by RobotPants View Post
    It would seem you are interested.
    Umm,no. I have no issues with the console. It's the customer service response. Unless MS employees are popping out of boxes when you bring an xbox home, they're not one in the same.

A console war would be another round of Live vs Silver vs Free PC, vs best games, vs all other things about games and hardware.

Social Worker
    I'm just saying that being glad that you're not part of the best console gaming platform to come along since the NES because some people are getting their accounts hacked is a little over dramatic.
    True, the real reason is the shitty hardware. (After the third, I gave up)

I'm still amused that they hacked the old profile I used for GWL though... (my old Xbox's account? Is with someone else now. Shrug)
    Last edited by Dawn Falcon; 02-28-2012 at 08:21 PM.

remarried Mad Chester
    In a cruel twist of fate, just a few weeks after getting my 360 account back all nice and pretty, and my PS3 craps out. Good bye $99!

I just can't seem to have both machines working at the same time! I would say 3 machines, but I can't even remember the last time I turned the Wii on.

Social Worker
    Just lost all my points (2700) on my XBox Live Windows account. I purchased some points on the weekend for Microsoft Flight on the 1st March. On the 4th March I lost groups of 120 and 240 points to some sort of gold package for FIFA12. I do not own an XBox or that game.

I checked my account and noticed a 3rd email had been added to it for an account in China/Hong Kong. My security question was changed to chinese characters but they couldn't change password due to the verification email going to my main email address.

My account was also showing as being attached to an XBox 360 console. Anyway I called them up and they have locked it and will reimburse me for the stolen points in a week or two.

What a pain.

Neo Acoustic

He obviously has a PC. He can play practically all of the 'best games in this generation' on there.

Mad Chester
    Don't know where else to place this: http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/x.../t/221331.aspx
    I was just playing Halo Reach with a friend of mine while suddenly an achievement popped up. I pressed to xbox button to see what achievement it was and suddenly I realised all my other achievements were gone! I only have 15G (that one achievement) left while I lost over 52K gamerscore. What kind of weird bug is this and is anyone else facing the same problem?
    When i started playing Fifa 12, there was an update i downloaded, the game restarts and i get 2 achievements i already got. So i went to my achievementlist and it was EMPTY (only fifa 12 and the 2 achievements where there) + My gamerscore (+- 48.000) was gone.
    People are losing their entire gamerscore. The humanity.
    Seems like if you get an achievement, you will lose all your previous achievements.

How To Go
    Seattlish. XBL:Editer PSN:DennyA These are my opinions, not my employer's, but they should be yours.

New Romantic
    Have they figured out how the accounts are being hacked?

Broad Band
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasRobb View Post
    Have they figured out how the accounts are being hacked?
    Don't know if this is this was the problem, but there was a known issue with the live login page that was allowing brute force log in attempts and providing feedback. Ie. ID is good, password is bad & ID is bad, etc.

After MS fixed that I haven't seen any many hacking complaints around the web.

Social Worker
    I got hacked again. Luckily I caught it like right away, got an email saying welcome to xbox live gold, thanks for your purchase. Logged into Windows Live to change my password and it said my account was 'suspended' due to suspicious activity (thanks for letting someone buy shit with it though guys!). Eventually got the password changed and the account enabled.

They make it such a fucking pain to deal with this shit, I of course have to call in about this, there does not seem to be a way to get the charges investigated or reversed online.

Also...when I got hacked the last time, I used a unique password for this Live account and there is no fucking way it was brute forced or compromised on my end. I never, ever log in to it except on my two consoles here at the house.

Spinning Toe
    Well, Microsoft is certain that you've been socially engineered. It can't be their fault. Doesn't that make you feel better?

How To Go
    So this is reportedly how a lot of it is happening
    http://kotaku.com/5913228/report-how...y-do-with-them

The system per se isn't being hacked (there's no super hacker who's broken encryption). It's MS Customer Service trying to clear its backlog in a pretty goddamn shoddy way.

How To Go
    Seattlish. XBL:Editer PSN:DennyA These are my opinions, not my employer's, but they should be yours.
    No idea if that story has any basis in fact, but I'd strongly suggest you set up proofs on your Windows Live ID account:

https://account.live.com/proofs/Manage

It gives the Support folks much more info to verify that you are you.

Hustle
    Someone got into my account about a week ago and went on a download spree with points I had in it. It was more or less luck that I recognized it when I signed in yesterday and thought, "Hey, wait a second, I know I had more than 40 points here." So I changed my password and contacted MS. It was only a few thousand points not (luckily) connected to a credit card. Still, I was impressed that after talking to them yesterday afternoon this morning my points have been restored and I'm back on Live playing Pinball FX 2. I had feared an extended outage, but for my small scale problem at least, they handled it really quickly.

Spinning Toe

PC user only! No console here. Though for PC users GfWL is "XBOX Live".

There is no way (for the end user) to view a list of IP's used to log into GfWL is there? Or even just the last IP that logged in, like gmail does. Recently, I have been getting disconnected from AoEO, rather frequently. I can log back in straight away, and it's not my internet connection that drops - just GfWL itself. I could be wrong, but it feels as if someone else logs in and therefore I get dropped. Is that how GfWL works? If I'm logged in, and someone else were to log in, would I get dropped? It is very strange. I have never had these kind of GfWL drops before. Sometimes I can play for 20 minutes, sometimes 30, and others for longer - the times vary. Let's put it this way. If we could see a list of IP's used to log in, I could tell 100% if my account was compromised. Microsoft really doesn't care, it's as simple as that.

How To Go
    I don't think there is, but try logging in to your GFWL account on Xbox.com and looking at your game history. You can see what was played, when. If there's anything on there besides what you're playing, that'll be a good indicator.

Neo Acoustic
    Saw this in the CBC website tonight. Is the the first mainstream reporting (not gaming sites) that it has gotten? Typical Microsoft and EA response-customers are dumb fucks and it's their fault.
    Microsoft Xbox panned for virtual thefts, disputed charges

Social Worker
    I guess in the always online consoles we will be getting soon, you just get used to this sort of thing as a matter of course? Might be a good idea to open a separate bank account with limited funds just for your console gaming, if you are still going to be doing it that is?

Broad Band
    Just stick to the XBL/PSN cards.

New Romantic
    I'd say a loadable prepaid debit card is a good way to go, as well.