Thread: Conquest of Elysium 3

Social Worker
    Every time I see this thread title I betrete feurtrunken with its himmlische Heiligtum.

Hustle
    No such problem in CoE3. The game is still complex, but it's cut way down on the fiddly micromanagement.

For example, instead of having a list of possible summoning rituals as long as your arm and having to choose which one to cast, in CoE3 you usually pick between a small spell, a medium spell, or a big spell and then randomly receive units of the appropriate awesomeness.

There's plenty of weird and wonderful stuff in the game, but you don't need to do as much tedious management to make it happen. The end-game is more complex than the early-game but it's still dozens of times faster and simpler than Dominions.

Spinning Toe
    CoE3 is geared much more toward fast, low micro-management play.
    Most of my games ended up with me controlling maybe 6 commanders.
    In really big games, maybe 12 commanders.

Social Worker
    Can play a game of COE in the time it takes to take an end game turn in dominions.

How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by z22 View Post
    Does the end-game on CoE3 differ from Dominions in that Dominions had 100s of units to control at the end of the game, making it very tedious to play to end?
    In Conquest of Elysium 3, a typical turn involves giving each of your commanders 3 AP worth of orders (a couple squares of movement, possibly including one ritual spell) and -if- you have enough resources and they're available that turn, recruiting in one or two of your recruitment sites. Most of the mechanics that dragged out Dom3 turns don't exist or are completely automated (research, crafting, combat scripting and unit formations) and you simply don't have the means to put together armies of more than a few commanders or recruit more than a few times a turn, even late game.

Spinning Toe
    Here is a quick-reference shortlist of the Scenario commands (so far) that can be used on a map.
    http://filebox.vt.edu/users/dduckett...nario_template

Mad Chester
    Anybody else finding the Cultists to be very dependent on the time period for the map generation? In Dawn of the New Empire, I am having a very strong game with them versus barons... However, in previous games with early eras (fewer towns), sacrificial income was too hard to come by, and out of control summons were large set backs. It was really impossible to compete with the fungus users particularly. ...

I didn't feel this was as much of a problem with demonologists, because their cheap summons seem more worthwhile. This makes expansion easier and failed summons much cheaper.

Overall, I don't feel like the free seaside village spawns do enough to counteract this weakness. I'm not saying every race has to be good in every era, but I was wondering if others felt the same way about Cultists?

Hustle
    So I've been trying to play the Priest King.

The good news:

Your priests can cast a blessing spell that will grant a buff to any unit. The blessing starts out weak, but gets stronger if you sacrifice the inhabitants of a site on the map. Sacrifice a village once and it turns into a hamlet, again and it turns into a farm, then into a blood-soaked crater dedicated to the Priest King. The blessing mainly increases your units' HP.

The bad news:

The blessing doesn't work at all because the HP buff is only applied to maximum, rather than current, hitpoints. So if you have a 4-hitpoints unit and you cast a really powerful 8-hitpoint blessing... you still have a 4-hitpoint unit, except now it's 4/12. It does nothing! Except, of course, that casting the blessing takes up your mage's turn so they can't cast a different, actually useful spell. ARGH!

How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by Thasero View Post

The blessing doesn't work at all because the HP buff is only applied to maximum, rather than current, hitpoints. So if you have a 4-hitpoints unit and you cast a really powerful 8-hitpoint blessing... you still have a 4-hitpoint unit, except now it's 4/12. It does nothing! Except, of course, that casting the blessing takes up your mage's turn so they can't cast a different, actually useful spell. ARGH!
    Is this a combat spell or a ritual spell? If combat, I can see how that wouldn't be terribly useful. If ritual, as long as it persists it should be huge, since units can heal over time.

For units that do not have an intrinsic blessing but get it from a combat spell, it doesn't work. For intrinsically blessed units. it's a permanent upgrade.

Hustle
    It's a combat spell. And 100% of your mages have the blessing spell, so not only is it useless, it's unavoidable. The most common spell you will cast during battles while playing the Priest King is a spell that does nothing. It's a really glaring mistake.

Worst of all, you have to stop in the middle of the battle, right-click on units, and check the details in order to realize that the blessing doesn't actually do anything. I only noticed because I'd spent an entire game building up the blessing so it would be more powerful, and checked out my units to see how pumped-up they were.

Spinning Toe
    Is this the forum we had the conversation about the bright player colors?
    Johan has just added:
    The first mod command is made now:
    playercolor <player> <red 0-255> <green 0-255> <blue 0-255>

and on the progress page says
    * Less bright player colors

http://jaffa.illwinter.com/coe3/coe3progress.html
    Last edited by gp1628; 02-28-2012 at 11:38 AM.

Pillow Talk
    It also says "optional score graphs". Hmm.

29th February 2012
    * Game Over reveals score graphs and map.
    * Experienced Retiarius got disease causing net attack, fixed.
    * Very limited modding support is starting to appear.
    * It is now possible to plant Shadow Trees in cannibal villages.
    Hell yeah!!

Spinning Toe
    Im trying to get thru the Trial challenges on the CoE-3.com forum but must admit that Im having more troubles than I thought I would.

The first Trial is 1-on-1 vs a Knight level AI. Both random select. Ironman.
    I did not realize how often I used the save game feature to repeat things. Without it even some of my favorite classes are not working as well as I remembered.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by gp1628 View Post
    The first Trial is 1-on-1 vs a Knight level AI. Both random select. Ironman.
    I did not realize how often I used the save game feature to repeat things. Without it even some of my favorite classes are not working as well as I remembered.
    Must be a bug ;)

Spinning Toe
    Yeah thats it. :) I should report it as a bug.
    "Hey Johan, I cant seem to win against one Knight level opponent without cheating. I think something is wrong."

Administrator World's End Supernova Tom Chick's Avatar
    Im trying to get thru the Trial challenges on the CoE-3.com forum but must admit that Im having more troubles than I thought I would.
    Link plz! Just going to coe-3.com returns an error.

-Tom

Wesley Chapel, FL XBL:LivinItUp PSN:LivinItUpInPhx
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chick View Post

-Tom
    Linky

Specific Linky

Specific-er Specific Linky

Spinning Toe

-Tom
    heehee. Well the error does explain to try a www in front.

But you are right. I should have said
    http://www.CoE-3.com

But you are right. I should have said
    http://www.CoE-3.com
    LOL! Ah, actors. What can you do?

Who reads 404 errors? Also, on the American internet, we don't have to do the www thing anymore. Must be a Swedish thing.

-Tom

Spinning Toe
    Heehee. Actually its mine and Im all american
    I was just part of creating Internet. And I still balk at the effort to make www equal to the domain server. Cranky old man syndrome.

This is the full page you got (not a 404 error)
    It works!
    But it's only the server location of the domain. Not a web page.
    What you entered is apparently incomplete.

By any chance were you supposed to put a www. on the front of the address?
    Or was there meant to be something added after the part you typed in?
    Or was it meant to be used with telnet, ftp, ssh, gopher, wais, email, ping, or finger instead of your WWW browser?

It used to be said "Can't see the forest for the trees" but now I guess it's "Can't see the Internet for the WWW".
    But again, my error. I did mean to send you to the www page and I should have said so
    Last edited by gp1628; 02-29-2012 at 06:42 PM.

Social Worker
    <snipped epicness>
    I know you're American & stuffs, but could you please come over here and be out tech guy? You're making the one we got look full of fail :D

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterio View Post
    Cool idea. And that is exactly the sort of thing Illwinter should be putting in the game instead of players having to come up with it by themselves.

-Tom

The priest king blessing stuff has been added to the bug lists at Desura.

In case anyone is interested, check this out:
    http://thurot.com/2012/02/29/how-to-...ndie-reviewer/

I had a good few chuckles over it.

Cool idea. And that is exactly the sort of thing Illwinter should be putting in the game instead of players having to come up with it by themselves.

-Tom
    Hmm, good point. Have a list of scenarios built into the game that you can select and play and then have some sort of scoring (MoM-like) and ranking system where you can compare achievements and scores with both friends and everyone else that submits completed games. Something similar to what has been done with other games on Steam that way.

That should be pretty easy to implement as well, I would have thought. A bunch of pre-made scenarios would also have the added benefit of encouraging players to play around with the game options and come up with their own wacky ideas.

Mind you, this is an Illwinter game, so that will most likely happen anyway...

Wesley Chapel, FL XBL:LivinItUp PSN:LivinItUpInPhx
    Quote Originally Posted by Edirr View Post
    In case anyone is interested, check this out:
    http://thurot.com/2012/02/29/how-to-...ndie-reviewer/
    Priceless!

Spinning Toe
    Wonderful satire article. Nice balance without being so specific to get you into a war. :)

As for the scenarios, they can all be done by maps commands.
    Im hoping that Illwinter decides to add some map-scenario at some point. A beginners tutorial game would be nice.

(but the scenarios are unlikely to include any of mine. Things like "the Indepts Lord" I recommended as the maximum level of the Trials. Things like that just make Johan shake his head because it makes the game do things it was never meant to do)