Thread: Borderlands 2

  1. #1321
    Spinning Toe
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    579
    I'm sure I'm the only one, but I have a lot of problems with this game, bordering on hatred at this point. I dislike just about every single design decision they made with this iteration.

    They really got onto this something negative and something positive with everything this go around, and it's just plain unsatisfying. No I do not want to equip something that makes one facet of my character worse. It's rampant and highly annoying to me. Shields that reduce health, guns that take multiple ammo, skills that ruin one thing while building another, I hate the entire basic design philosophy that went into this game.

    Oh look I found a new gun that's better.....oh look it shoots 6 god damn bullets per shot. 99% of the loot I find in this game is worthless because of crap like this, and it takes just about all of the fun out of the game because of it.

    /shrug. Everyone seems to love this game, I'm at the point of actively hating it.

  2. #1322
    Mad Chester
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,472
    I don't know if I can even get worked up to hate it properly, it's definitely the most tedious thing I played all year though. I agree they have a fantastic anti-talent for design. The time wastingest and most boring elements of your least favourite MMO wedded to a generic shooter - together at last!

  3. #1323
    Social Worker
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,735
    I still like it... They weapons that use multi bullets or gear that due buffs gets sold quickly... I just don't equip it.

    Not a major issue for me... Mechromancer and bezerker

  4. #1324
    Spinning Toe
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Land of Long White Cloud
    Posts
    561
    Quote Originally Posted by Tman View Post
    This is horrible game design - making it more difficult when you fail. I won't be buying any DLC and it's only the completionist in me (and COOP) that keeps me playing. I'm very disappointed in the lack of fun (for me) in SP TVHM.
    I first had that impression as well, but then TVHM/2nd playthrough assumes you know the game mechanics well enough to manage even on solo (IMO it doesn't get any easier co-op either, at least with people at similar level to you).

    Constructor v2.0: snipe the eye/nuke from far far away, with overhead cover. OR just run straight to the eye and shotgun it to death. You may be down right in front of the eye. DON'T RETREAT, INSTEAD RELOAD! Get a second wind by killing it with shotgun! Any normal/non-fire shotgun with high damage with high pellet count will do, you don't need especially corrosive shotgun.

    Don't bother to shotgun the Badass though, you will die first.

    Bandits with Goliath in the mix: snipe the helmet off Goliath, and turn him against other bandits (raging and above Goliath attacks everyone in sight). Goliath level up after killing bandits, but it is so much easier killing 1 badass Goliath than killing 2 bandits and one normal Goliath. Make sure to snipe the Blaster Goliath ASAP, their rockets can kill you in 1-2 shots, but as soon as they become raging, i.e. melee Goliath, they are not lethal any more. That fight with Slab initiation/circle of slaughter is just piss easy as long as you turn Goliaths against each other.

    Bandit with midget shield, Spiderant, Bullymong, any creature with armour but still with red health bar: use explosive weapons, don't bother with anything else.

    Loader: shoot the joints or eyes, the critical hit points. If you only got crap corrosive weapons, slag them first. Slag grenades are good because they have 100% slag chance. Always kill the flyers first with lightning weapons, because they can repair other loaders and are pretty weak. Next, RPG loaders and Jet loaders because their rockets can kill you with 1-2 hits. Then ion loaders, the shield is a PITA. Don't bother with explosive loaders, just lure them to blow themselves up, then run away ASAP. There is plenty of time between the start of self destruct and actual self destruct to get out of the way.

    Crap weapons: sometimes a lvl 45 purple does LESS damage than a white or green lvl 50. A lot less. The damage ramp up exponentially depending on the level requirement. Always be prepared to ditch the purple if it is of lower level.
    Last edited by Soma; 10-15-2012 at 06:59 PM.

  5. #1325
    Neo Acoustic
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    I will always be Aquaman
    Posts
    1,533
    So, another group of people think they have identified a glitch & fix for the difficulty levels I am seeing:

    Source

    I had to download the player count mod which is available online

    I entered the game, scanned for memory changes, it found the player count. I then set it to two players, zoned into a new area, killed some mooks, then set it to one player, zoned into another area, then killed more mooks

    Happy to say now that this has fixed the glitch after a save, shutting down the mod tool and restarting the game, things are dying at an acceptable rate now and aren't taking 4-6 mags per enemy anymore, before it was around 2-4 mags for a common mook, 7-8 mags for the lowest ranked goliath or 20-30 mags for a Nomad, and this was with a 150 rounds vladof 3000dmg minigun

    That and a single round from a common enemy isn't taking out all my shields and half my health with one shot anymore, or riding around in a car its not dead in 6 stray bullet shots.

    EDIT1: Additional Info

    Everyone keeps asking what is going on with this glitch, so I'll explain

    Suddenly, and for no reason, the difficulty in Playthrough 2 spikes astronomically hard, and I mean astronomically hard. Everything starts two shotting you, it takes dozens of clips to down things etc etc.

    This is my second toon I've done through playthrough 2, and I couldn't figure out why I was having a ridiculously harder time with Salvador then I was with Axton

    So I went back to my Axton toon, and it was just as hard as I remembered, and not as hard as I was experiencing with Salvador, the odd thing was, they were doing near indentical damage, yet it was taking 5-15x longer to kill anything with salvador

    Asking around 4chan if anybody had the same issue, somebody eventually talked up after 4+ threads about how there was a glitch in the difficulty system, that how the difficulty slider for when more people join your game was actually causing difficulty to keep adding on levels when people leaved and joined, and not removing them when they left, so if you were solo, difficulty was level 1, three people would join, it would goto difficulty four, they would leave, it would STILL stick at level 4, and more people would join, and it would STILL keep increasing, adding on over and over again.

    Case in point. King Mong I was farming him before applying the fix I showed above, using a machinegun car at level 50 it would take around 2-3 minutes to kill him with concentrated gunfire, and he would instantly one shot kill the car if it got hit. After the fix, I can kill him in under 30 seconds, and the car can take 4-6 hits depending on the move he does, its not instantly vaporized by a single one of any of his attacks.

    This glitch is what happened too my salvador, and from what I have heard lots of other people playing their salvadors are having the issue pop up, as it rarely happens to other classes as I am told.

    Anyways, that is the entire glitch in a nutshell.
    This would make me feel much better as I've put 20 rounds of a 6250x5 Skullmasher into a consistently slagged bad-ass, with crits 1/2 the time which is ludicrous. I am playing a berzerker, so I'm hopeful that this is my problem.

  6. #1326
    Social Worker
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    STL, MO - GT: Ryan Markel
    Posts
    2,391
    I want to find whoever first coined the use of "toon" for a rolled MMO character and punch that person.

    Right in the face.

  7. #1327
    Mad Chester
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    GT: Jarrodhk
    Posts
    1,025
    The DLC is up, at least on Xbox.

  8. #1328
    Pillow Talk
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    39
    DLC downloaded. I didn't have time to really play, but I jumped in with my lvl 50 Siren and hit the fast travel station to Oasis. A quick intro movie later i was handed my first quest. It's labelled as lvl 50, but I'm not sure if that's fixed, relative to my level, or dependant on which playthrough you are on. I'll test it out later on.

    Looking forward to putting some time in with it later though!

  9. #1329
    New Romantic
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    7,954
    I really like the game, but my biggest problem by far is the terrible save point system.

    I hate having to restart from the beginning something that takes 30 minutes to run through if I can't complete it the first time. There's just no reason for something like that on a PC game.

  10. #1330
    Social Worker Ginger Yellow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,252
    Bandit with midget shield, Spiderant, Bullymong, any creature with armour but still with red health bar: use explosive weapons, don't bother with anything else.
    Or just shoot the ropes off the midget shield and let him harass the bandit while you headhsot both of them.

  11. #1331
    World's End Supernova Telefrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Washington State, XBL: Telefrog
    Posts
    21,226
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyFrog View Post
    I really like the game, but my biggest problem by far is the terrible save point system.

    I hate having to restart from the beginning something that takes 30 minutes to run through if I can't complete it the first time. There's just no reason for something like that on a PC game.
    Yup. That's my biggest complaint. I'd have played a lot more Borderlands 2 except I can't clear a large enough block of time to give it the attention I need to get through a quest in one go except a couple of hours on the weekends.

    I know they're aping the conventions of the ARPG genre by just saving the character state and letting mobs spawn back in, but it's pretty frustrating to me. Torchlight 2 in SP mode keeps mobs cleared for a good length of time before it repopulates.

  12. #1332
    Social Worker Brakara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    2,748
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyFrog View Post
    I really like the game, but my biggest problem by far is the terrible save point system.

    I hate having to restart from the beginning something that takes 30 minutes to run through if I can't complete it the first time. There's just no reason for something like that on a PC game.
    There's no reason for something like that on a console game either. I spent an hour yesterday going through the same areas I had previously, even had to slog through a mini boss-match (Boom and Bewm) just because I saved and quit after failing the last boss match for that quest.

    And what's up with all the respawning areas? Load an area you just cleared, and you're met by respawned enemies like a fucking early '90s console game. Hell, even the same crappy loot you ignored the first time around is respawned as well. Awful, awful, game design.

    Never played the first Borderlands and I'm pretty sure I'll never finish this one.

  13. #1333
    Spinning Toe
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    857
    Quote Originally Posted by Brakara View Post
    And what's up with all the respawning areas? Load an area you just cleared, and you're met by respawned enemies like a fucking early '90s console game. Hell, even the same crappy loot you ignored the first time around is respawned as well. Awful, awful, game design.
    Outside of active missions where you have to trigger level changes, there's basically nothing in this game you can't just drive (or run if you so desire) past if for whatever reason you don't want to fight them.

    I mean, if you don't enjoy shooting things then BL2 isn't going to be your thing anyways, but at the same time random enemies shouldn't be a barrier at all.

  14. #1334
    Social Worker Brakara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    2,748
    I enjoy shooting things, which is why I bought the game in the first place, just not the same things at the same locations over and over again. That's called wasting my time.

    Imagine a shooter that forced you to restart chapters every time you saved and quit? That's actually how Borderlands 2 works. And it's horrible.

    I honestly don't understand these design decisions (restarting the current main quest when loading the game and respawning enemies when loading areas), well unless they wanted to pad the game length. Still baffling though.

  15. #1335
    World's End Supernova Telefrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Washington State, XBL: Telefrog
    Posts
    21,226
    I hate it and you hate it, but some people actually like that style of save system in ARPG games. They like to grind for XP or farm for loot.

  16. #1336
    Neo Acoustic Mark L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,871
    Having fun with the new DLC on TVHM. Man, typing double acronyms makes me feel like a jackass. Anyhow, the new enemies are enjoyable, I quite like sailing about in my sand skiff, and the new stalkers will tear your dick right off. So be mindful of that!

  17. #1337
    New Romantic
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    7,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Telefrog View Post
    I hate it and you hate it, but some people actually like that style of save system in ARPG games. They like to grind for XP or farm for loot.
    I don't even have that big a problem with the monsters reappearing. I just hate the fact that I can't save where I actually am. Make the monsters reappear if you have to, but don't have me restart back at the beginning of the "level." If I stop and quit right before the boss, that's where I want to restart.

  18. #1338
    World's End Supernova Telefrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Washington State, XBL: Telefrog
    Posts
    21,226
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyFrog View Post
    I don't even have that big a problem with the monsters reappearing. I just hate the fact that I can't save where I actually am. Make the monsters reappear if you have to, but don't have me restart back at the beginning of the "level." If I stop and quit right before the boss, that's where I want to restart.
    I hear you, man. I'd love it if Borderlands 2 worked that way. At the very least, I'd love if they had followed ARPG convention and had a waypoint near the boss area instead of only one or two areas per map.

  19. #1339
    Social Worker Brakara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    2,748
    Quote Originally Posted by Telefrog View Post
    I hate it and you hate it, but some people actually like that style of save system in ARPG games. They like to grind for XP or farm for loot.
    Couldn't they just have created designated areas for this, and thus pleased both camps?

    But fair enough. The game isn't bad, just clearly not designed for me and how I play games these days.

  20. #1340
    World's End Supernova Telefrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Washington State, XBL: Telefrog
    Posts
    21,226
    Well, they do have the arena wave fights which I guess could've been designated as special grind areas, but I'm pretty sure that people would've then bitched about those being boring to do and hey why don't you guys just make it like all the other ARPGs and just respawn all the areas so we can run through them again and again also I love fighting in XYZ area because it's easy and the best drops come from there blah blah.

    I mean, I have no idea if there was some technical reason to do what they did, but I think they just went with the path of least resistance and copied Diablo II's system.

  21. #1341
    New Romantic TheWombat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    7,633
    I actually agree with folks who detest the save system, yet I still like the game a lot. Despite the inexplicably punitive save system. And despite the sometimes equally inexplicable wretchedness of the loot. Most of the time the gunplay, atmosphere, dialog, and visual impact of the game makes up for all of that. For me, at least.

  22. #1342
    New Romantic scharmers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    I love this thread so much
    Posts
    7,064
    It's so nice to finally see the long pages of patented Qt3 Backlash [tm] for both Borderlands 2 and XCOM. Wondering where the Dishonored Backlash is.

  23. #1343
    World's End Supernova Telefrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Washington State, XBL: Telefrog
    Posts
    21,226
    Quote Originally Posted by scharmers View Post
    It's so nice to finally see the long pages of patented Qt3 Backlash [tm] for both Borderlands 2 and XCOM. Wondering where the Dishonored Backlash is.
    Did you read the bit about Dishonored in Tom's XCOM review?

  24. #1344
    New Romantic scharmers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    I love this thread so much
    Posts
    7,064
    Quote Originally Posted by Telefrog View Post
    Did you read the bit about Dishonored in Tom's XCOM review?
    True that. But we expect a least a little contrarian out of Tom. OK, more than "a little". Which is why I'm surprised we got such a thoughtful review of XCOM.

  25. #1345
    Administrator World's End Supernova Tom Chick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    27,862
    Quote Originally Posted by scharmers View Post
    It's so nice to finally see the long pages of patented Qt3 Backlash [tm] for both Borderlands 2 and XCOM. Wondering where the Dishonored Backlash is.
    "Oh no, someone has an opinion that doesn't match mine [tm]!"

    It's so tedious how people on the internet try to discredit legitimate criticisms simply because those criticisms don't bother them, or because they aren't inclined to think critically about games they like. Fortunately, most games writing fits neatly into a set of narrowly aligned observations that won't chafe against whatever insecurity you might have about your own opinion.

    -Tom

  26. #1346
    Administrator World's End Supernova Tom Chick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    27,862
    Quote Originally Posted by Telefrog View Post
    Did you read the bit about Dishonored in Tom's XCOM review?
    I've actually only played a few hours of Dishonored, so don't read too much into that comment. I was just struck by how it seems to be a pretty traditional stealth game. I kind of feel like Arkham City is the last word on that sort of game, but that was just a knee jerk reaction based on having to replay an area in Dishonored several times over to get the patrol pattern right.

    Anyway, how 'bout that Scarlett Booty?

    -Tom

  27. #1347
    World's End Supernova Telefrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Washington State, XBL: Telefrog
    Posts
    21,226
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chick View Post
    I've actually only played a few hours of Dishonored, so don't read too much into that comment. I was just struck by how it seems to be a pretty traditional stealth game. I kind of feel like Arkham City is the last word on that sort of game, but that was just a knee jerk reaction.

    Anyway, how 'bout that Scarlett Booty?

    -Tom
    Ah, cool. I'm definitely interested in your full opinion on Dishonored.

    Scarlett Johansson's Booty? Yeah, I think that's a... Oh, you mean the DLC Scarlett.

  28. #1348
    New Romantic scharmers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    I love this thread so much
    Posts
    7,064
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chick View Post
    "Oh no, someone has an opinion that doesn't match mine [tm]!"


    -Tom
    No, you're wrong.

  29. #1349
    New Romantic TheWombat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    7,633
    Played a little of the new DLC, and it's pretty solid. On a level 13 Siren, the mobs were 15-ish, and a good challenge, but the loot was, duh, 14-15 as well. On my 35 or so TVHM Assassin, man, the first mobs you face were nasty, nasty, nasty. Until I figured out how to deal with them, at least. It's really making me use all my tools now, and that's pretty cool.

    The content is fairly dark, in a humorous if rather grim sort of way, and the new vehicle is quite a blast.

    Yeah, the game has flaws--some of which are Unreal problems, some are design issues, some are other glitches or bugs--but damn it, I find it addictive. Got my money's worth at least.

  30. #1350
    Spinning Toe
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Chicago ------ Gamertag: Mageical
    Posts
    889
    I'm very much in the camp that loves Borderlands 2, so I can't wait to really dive into the DLC.

    I've only probably played about 30 minutes of Booty so far, on my Level 48 siren, but it already seems like it'll be more of what I love about the game. The main town has a cool, unique look to it, I like the Hunter S. Thompson styled town owner, and I'm looking forward to meeting Scarlett (and her booty).

    My only problem in my brief playtime, and it's actually a really big one, is that the performance of the game seems to have taken a hit. Throughout my 60 hours in the main game, I've gotten a very steady 60fps with all settings on high except Physix. Suddenly I find myself frequently dipping down to 30fps, and it's driving me mad. Anyone else suddenly having performance issues or heard anything about the issue?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •