Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Anonymous busted hard

How To Go
    Time zone: PDT / BattleTag: RepoMan#1825 / XBLA: Rodeolio / Steam: RepoManFTW

Anonymous busted hard

It looks like people tend to post new Anonymous threads for new news relating thereto, so here's the latest: FBI busts at least 14 in America and 5 in Europe on charges relating to Anonymous's Paypal attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by CNN
    Fourteen people have been arrested as part of an ongoing operation targeting the notorious hacking collective known as Anonymous, the U.S. Department of Justice and the FBI said Tuesday.

The individuals were arrested by FBI agents on charges related to their alleged involvement in a cyberattack on PayPal's website, which has been claimed by the Anonymous group.

Two additional people were arrested in the United States Tuesday and five in Europe for alleged cybercrimes, the Justice Department said in a statement.

The U.S. arrests took place in Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, the District of Columbia, Florida, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Mexico and Ohio.
    Wonder if they will come back with their usual "those guys had nothing to do with us" bravado, or if they'll actually shut the fuck up for a brief while.

Edit: Hmm, looks like the FBI did this earlier this year too. Wonder if Anonymous is a hydra or if they'll actually eventually bust enough of them that the rest will get tired of being bustable.
    Last edited by RepoMan; 07-19-2011 at 05:50 PM.

Social Worker
    The FBI needs to be seen to be doing something about cybercrime. The script kiddies using Low Orbit Ion Cannon or the like are low-hanging fruit.

A match made in heaven, if you will.

How To Go
    True, but then there's been splinter groups of hackers actively "doxing" the guys in charge of Lulzsec etc. Not sure that's the deal with who got arrested here, but it's still good to see.

How To Go
    Ah, in fact, it would appear that at least some of these guys are more than just the LOIC kiddies. One of the doxing groups seems to be confident that LulzSec's major guys have been caught.

Account closed Social Worker
    Anonymous is a philosophy. That is most enticing to smart young kids who think themselves immortal and untouchable. So I'm going to go with 'eh' on this one.

How To Go
    Anonymous has always been about a group of people who know what they're doing, and a horde of followers who operate as a nice human shield and a brute force weapon.

I thrust game designers New Romantic Teiman's Avatar
    nostalgia for something that never existed is a ghost pain
    Any news like this must be taken with a grain of salt.

Politicians want numbers and photos. For that sending the FBI to 5 houses of 13 years old that have run LOIC serve the purpose. But is a total waste of resources. We don't really know if this raid has ben PR theather, or something real. We need confirmation from other sources that this attack has hit something else than meatshields.

How To Go
    Nothing classier than using human shields. Those hackers are so damn noble.

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by Teiman View Post
    meatshields

How To Go
    Any news like this must be taken with a grain of salt.

Politicians want numbers and photos. For that sending the FBI to 5 houses of 13 years old that have run LOIC serve the purpose. But is a total waste of resources. We don't really know if this raid has ben PR theather, or something real. We need confirmation from other sources that this attack has hit something else than meatshields.
    How about the link I provided?

Thats only 1 source. I am asking to have two independent ones.

Maybe the most interestin tidbit of information is the nicknames (lol anonymity)

I only have tried Drew010 in google, and the first hit is this:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=165673

About vBulletin.

Hehe.

Lol anonymity.

okpid.com/profile/drew010

<--- that base64 on the bottom, looks like a encoded xploit, lol.

He want to hack womens heart. (who not?)
    Last edited by Teiman; 07-20-2011 at 05:25 AM.

How To Go
    Thats only 1 source. I am asking to have two independent ones.
    And just how do you expect those independent sources to be able to verify that these people are the head guys for LulzSec?

How To Go
    He want to hack womens heart. (who not?)
    Quoting for posterity. Because, awesome.

How To Go
    Time zone: PDT / BattleTag: RepoMan#1825 / XBLA: Rodeolio / Steam: RepoManFTW
    Here you go Teiman.

Quote Originally Posted by Wired
    The arrested suspects include: Christopher Wayne Cooper, 23, aka “Anthrophobic”; Joshua John Covelli, 26, aka “Absolem” and “Toxic”; Keith Wilson Downey, 26; Mercedes Renee Haefer, 20, aka “No” and “MMMM”; Donald Husband, 29, aka “Ananon”; Vincent Charles Kershaw, 27, aka “Trivette,” “Triv” and “Reaper”; Ethan Miles, 33; James C. Murphy, 36; Drew Alan Phillips, 26, aka “Drew010”; Jeffrey Puglisi, 28, aka “Jeffer,” “Jefferp” and “Ji”; Daniel Sullivan, 22; Tracy Ann Valenzuela, 42; and Christopher Quang Vo, 22. The court has withheld one suspect’s name, presumably because he is younger than 18.

In addition to these, two others were arrested in connection to related crimes. Scott Matthew Arciszewski, 21, was arrested Tuesday in Florida for allegedly hacking the Tampa Bay InfraGard website in June and uploading three files to the site. He is allegedly the author of a June 21 Twitter post directed to LulzSec reading “Infragard Tampa has one hell of an exploit,” with links. The tweet was also addressed to the FBI national press office’s Twitter account, ensuring that the bureau wouldn’t miss it....

Lance Moore, 21, of Las Cruces, New Mexico, was also arrested for allegedly stealing data from AT&T’s servers and posting it on a file-sharing site. Moore, a customer support contractor, allegedly exceeded authorized access on AT&T’s servers to download thousands of documents, applications and other files. On June 25, LulzSec, a group affiliated with Anonymous, announced publicly that it had obtained documents from AT&T. The documents were the same as the ones Moore allegedly downloaded.

Social Worker
    Good riddance. I hope they nail every single one of the thousands using LOIC.

Neo Acoustic
    I think these "hacker groups" have performed a pretty valuable service over the past months. They've set a precedent -- they've shown, once more, how weak the IT infrastructure of many Western companies and institutions are. Imagine if they were really attacked by someone with real malicious intent? Someone who wanted to disrupt, destroy or disinform? If kids can do this in their spare time, imagine what intelligence bureaus can do.

The fact that a bunch of script kiddies are able to break into high-profile companies and even take down security firms, demonstrates how arrogant and inept these companies are. A lot of ire has been directed towards the companies themselves for not protecting their data better, and I think that's the central point of the entire imbroglio: Companies ask for and keep personal information, or just grab what they can, and then do jack shit to protect it.

Consider DDoS-ing a form of protest. An internet demonstration. Protesters congesting the streets of a city, strikers blocking the gates to the factory.

New Romantic
    I think China already displayed how weak our infrastructure is when they cracked open Gmail.

How To Go
    Civil disobedience is based on consciously breaking a law and willingly submitting to the consequences. There's effectively no risk for someone using the LOIC. In no way is DDOS'ing a company you don't like for, I don't know, not releasing a game on the right format, or trying to protect their investments comparable to risking arrest or physical harm by taking to the streets to protest an unjust law, or war or judicial outcome.

How To Go
    And DDoSing != hacking, really. The guys who take down HBGary are very different to the guys taking Visa's webpage offline for 2 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Erlend Grefsrud View Post
    I think these "hacker groups" have performed a pretty valuable service over the past months. They've set a precedent -- they've shown, once more, how weak the IT infrastructure of many Western companies and institutions are. Imagine if they were really attacked by someone with real malicious intent? Someone who wanted to disrupt, destroy or disinform? If kids can do this in their spare time, imagine what intelligence bureaus can do.

The fact that a bunch of script kiddies are able to break into high-profile companies and even take down security firms, demonstrates how arrogant and inept these companies are. A lot of ire has been directed towards the companies themselves for not protecting their data better, and I think that's the central point of the entire imbroglio: Companies ask for and keep personal information, or just grab what they can, and then do jack shit to protect it.

Consider DDoS-ing a form of protest. An internet demonstration. Protesters congesting the streets of a city, strikers blocking the gates to the factory.
    I'm sorry but I think spreading innocent people's login info, card details, whatever over the internet is already malicious intent. I loathe the "awww, those guys are performing a valuable service" defence.

Mad Chester
    Hahahahaha...that's such a dumb statement. If that were the single form of protest in the future, we'd all be doomed.
    DOOMED!
    Last edited by Lynch; 07-21-2011 at 04:08 AM.

World's End Supernova
    Where the protesters face absolutely no consequences for their actions so there's nothing heroic or daring or notable in the act - it's bullying from 10,000 feet.

How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hopkinson View Post
    I'm sorry but I think spreading innocent people's login info, card details, whatever over the internet is already malicious intent. I loathe the "awww, those guys are performing a valuable service" defence.
    It's the same public service as throwing a brick through a shop window. "Shoulda bought stronger glass, dude!"

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrenM View Post
    Where the protesters face absolutely no consequences for their actions so there's nothing heroic or daring or notable in the act - it's bullying from 10,000 feet.
    The people that were just arrested for DDOSing would like a word with you.

World's End Supernova
    Right, change my wording to .. "no anticipated consequences". In other words, a "protest" means little when the protester believes they will not face any consequences. At that point it's pressing a key and going to get a sandwich.

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hopkinson View Post

I never thought I'd be defending the likes of Anonymous, but...

Companies are going to get hacked regardless. Which of these is a better situation: 1. A company gets hacked, a group brags about it and you can take immediate action if you're affected or 2. a company gets hacked, you never hear about it and you have an extra $800 on your next credit card statement (or an empty checking account)?

If getting publicly shamed by a bunch of 14-year-olds gets Sony to get their shit together, all the better. The political statements and all that are bullshit, but a greater good just might come of it. Although the cynical side of me thinks PR and press releases are cheaper than new server infrastructure.

Account closed World's End Supernova
    Boletaria, Gamertag: Ben Sones PSN: bsones
    Obviously it's better than some of the alternatives, but that doesn't mean that Anonymous deserves our thanks. I'd rather get mugged than murdered, but that doesn't mean that the mugger is performing a public service.

Spinning Toe
    No, you're right. They aren't performing any noble public service, but better them than some scumbag browsing Amazon on my dime.

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Grenz View Post
    It's the same public service as throwing a brick through a shop window. "Shoulda bought stronger glass, dude!"
    They should have bought stronger glass if the shop in question was claiming that their shop window could stop bricks.

It's not like most of these attacks used some kind of secret l33t hacking technique. If a company makes a claim that personal user information is safe with them the wall between that info and the outside world shouldn't be two centimeters of Styrofoam.
    Last edited by MarinusWA; 07-21-2011 at 07:25 AM.