Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast
Results 271 to 300 of 708

Thread: Legend of Grimrock (old school RPG)

  1. #271
    Spinning Toe
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    589
    Quote Originally Posted by Destarius View Post
    The spellcasting mechanic is a huge ass. Aside from that I love it.

    Did I mention spellcasting is a huge ass?
    Ohhhh by spell casting should be real hard, like in real life. Compared to the amount of chanting, mumbling, gesturing, waving of ingredients and what not involved? Not to mention the drawing of that pentagram on the floor using fresh virgin blood, you have it real easy.

    Ok jokes aside. As a trick we used to do in DM, we always prepare the spell glyphs first and cast it when we need to use it. Kinda like an ADND cleric memorizing a spell t cast later, except you have only 1 slot. I guess it can still work in grimrock?

  2. #272
    World's End Supernova
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    17,166
    OK, level 3 is NOT fucking around.

  3. #273
    World's End Supernova
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Under a big sky
    Posts
    18,142
    I'm on level 3 now myself. I'll echo the previous notes that spellcasting is a bit annoying. At least compared to melee, where it's a simple right click, having to do multiple clicks to fire off a spell is annoying. Not to mention having to memorize the spell combos. I don't know what the thinking was there and cannot imagine trying to have more then one mage in a party (maybe that was the idea . . . ).

    Otherwise I'm having fun. I was bummed when I finally got a bow for my rogue in the back row and then realized I had all of three arrows. Now she's back to using a spear.

    What parties are people running? I'm all human - two warriors up front, a rogue and mage in the back.

  4. #274
    Mad Chester
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,472
    I went with all human too, Fighter/Rogue in front (evasion seems to work better than tanking it out so far?), 2 mages in back. One mage doing ice and fire and one doing earth and air. There is probably some optimum method of picking skill trees that gives you the deepest earliest access to spells/skills etc with the different races and perks, which I couldn't be bothered doing much beyond working out what fit nicely into the character generation screen.

  5. #275
    Broad Band
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    261
    I've got a minotaur fighter and human rogue in the front and two insect mages in the back. I'm not finding it difficult to cast spells in combat, it's only one or two runes. I usually do it while I'm strafing for position.

  6. #276
    World's End Supernova
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    17,166
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarkus View Post
    Otherwise I'm having fun. I was bummed when I finally got a bow for my rogue in the back row and then realized I had all of three arrows. Now she's back to using a spear.
    Damn, that's not comforting. Though I'm already throwing 3 throwing knifes and then reverting to rocks so... 3 bow shots with my 15 Missile Weapons skill would probably be primary and then switch to throwing knives would probably work better than what I got now.

  7. #277
    Social Worker
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    The Bottomless Pit of Despair
    Posts
    4,766
    Quote Originally Posted by cicobuff View Post
    Ohhhh by spell casting should be real hard, like in real life. Compared to the amount of chanting, mumbling, gesturing, waving of ingredients and what not involved? Not to mention the drawing of that pentagram on the floor using fresh virgin blood, you have it real easy.

    Ok jokes aside. As a trick we used to do in DM, we always prepare the spell glyphs first and cast it when we need to use it. Kinda like an ADND cleric memorizing a spell t cast later, except you have only 1 slot. I guess it can still work in grimrock?
    You need to prepare the glyph each and every time. The only problem is that I'm not sure what the big positives are in using a mage... perhaps the later spells will be AoE.

    I'm running two mages and two fighters, so it's double-sized helpings of ass for me.

  8. #278
    No longer plays GeoSpark New Romantic krayzkrok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Darwin, Australia Gamertag: krayzkrok
    Posts
    5,966
    No. 1 top seller on Steam. Good work devs!

  9. #279
    Spinning Toe
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    589
    Quote Originally Posted by Destarius View Post
    You need to prepare the glyph each and every time. The only problem is that I'm not sure what the big positives are in using a mage... perhaps the later spells will be AoE.

    I'm running two mages and two fighters, so it's double-sized helpings of ass for me.
    In old DM there are immaterial monsters that can only be hurt using spells. I have a feeling the devs will be keeping those. So yea a Mage seems necessary.

  10. #280
    Spinning Toe
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    589
    I kinda miss the leveling up mechanism in old DM. ZO mastery in ninja, fighter, priest and wizard. Ahhhhh. Yea it can be exploited but it's perfect for max-min plays.

  11. #281
    Broad Band
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by Destarius View Post
    The only problem is that I'm not sure what the big positives are in using a mage... perhaps the later spells will be AoE.
    You'll start encoutering enemies that are two or three to a tile, most spells will hurt both where a strike will only hit one of them. My favorite spell so far, poison cloud, will sit on the tile doing 5 and 6 damage every few seconds, which is great if you're funneling monsters down a hallway. There are some great uses for spells it's too bad the game is so stingy with them.

  12. #282
    Spinning Toe
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    PC Land
    Posts
    929
    Hmmm? What secret Humble bundle included something to do with this game?

  13. #283
    World's End Supernova
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    17,166
    Using a potion will leave you with an empty flask so you can re-use them.

    Level 3 is where the game starts getting kinda awesome. Now I'm actually dying to shit.

    Falling down trapdoors... yeah you can find shit like that, and so far it seems you'll always have a teleport back up.

    Mage is a good torch-bearer, since right-clicking a wand will open the runepage.
    Last edited by Pogo; 04-11-2012 at 09:24 PM.

  14. #284
    Broad Band
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    261
    I don't think pitfalls will ever kill you. They're the only way to get to certain areas of the map, definitely jump in!

  15. #285
    Account closed Broad Band
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by bakka bakka bakka View Post
    I've got a minotaur fighter and human rogue in the front and two insect mages in the back. I'm not finding it difficult to cast spells in combat, it's only one or two runes. I usually do it while I'm strafing for position.
    I have a similar set-up - just swapping out the human rogue for a lizardman rogue (for the extra dexterity) with the rogue heavy on daggers and evasion since he's in the front line.

    Bear in mind that you can ready a spell before combat. Spellcasting isn't too big a deal and the rune system is more realistic than the blast and forget nonsense of Neverwinter Nights 2, for example.

  16. #286
    World's End Supernova
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    17,166
    Evasion and Poison Resist don't seem to do jack shit... I have a +50 resist bracer and ridiculous evasion on my rogue, but he always seems to be the focus of attack by spiders and THEY DON'T MISS THEIR ATTACKS.

  17. #287
    Social Worker
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    The Bottomless Pit of Despair
    Posts
    4,766
    Do wands have charges as in most games? So many questions... I love the skill point system though - it's good to have some discrete awards rather than just a linear stat progression.

  18. #288
    Spinning Toe
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    589
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarkus View Post
    I seem to be stuck on level 2. Its by the blue stone with a locked gate that takes two keys to open. I got the key from the path to the right, but the one to the left is confusing me.

    Spoiler: spoiler
    There are a series of rooms that only open when you press a button in another room. I'm guessing that some combination of the three rooms I've seen so far opens a fourth room with a bad guy to fight (I can hear him) and thats where the key is, but I can't figure it out. Any ideas?
    I'm here as well. My guess is that the key lies with switch that turns off the field. But you'll probably need to be fast :)

  19. #289
    World's End Supernova Telefrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Washington State, XBL: Telefrog
    Posts
    21,675
    Level 3. Patiently out-staring the demon.

  20. #290
    Really likes Kinect Neo Acoustic
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Rocky Beach, CA
    Posts
    1,927
    Quote Originally Posted by cicobuff View Post
    In old DM there are immaterial monsters that can only be hurt using spells. I have a feeling the devs will be keeping those. So yea a Mage seems necessary.
    ..or with a sweet Vorpal Blade.
    As I play this game I feel some Dungeon Master muscle memory returning to me...

  21. #291
    Spinning Toe
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    589
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter Jones View Post
    ..or with a sweet Vorpal Blade.
    As I play this game I feel some Dungeon Master muscle memory returning to me...
    The staffs had dispels too :).

  22. #292
    Spinning Toe
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    589
    I love the fact that they made weapons for use in the second rank. And that thief can reach the front with melee. The old DM basically had the back rank heroes becoming useless after they threw their weapons and spells. Nice improvement.

  23. #293
    World's End Supernova
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    17,166
    Quote Originally Posted by Destarius View Post
    Do wands have charges as in most games?
    Wand is strictly a way to give extra attributes to Mages, at least so far that I've found only one wand. It opens up the rune page, it doesn't fire anything.

    Quote Originally Posted by cicobuff View Post
    I'm here as well. My guess is that the key lies with switch that turns off the field. But you'll probably need to be fast :)
    If you spend time turning around after hitting that hidden switch, you'll never make it back through the field in time. Press S :)


    So far I haven't found any weaknesses to certain magics. Fire and Air work equally well on spiders. I suppose Air might work better on the armored fellas but I haven't seen them again just yet.

  24. #294
    New Romantic Jab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,042
    Poison is definitely a pain in the ass. Does it eventually go away after enough rest, or is the only way to get rid of it the anti venom potion?

    On floor 4 now,the puzzles are definitely getting trickier.

  25. #295
    Neo Acoustic
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,992
    Poison does eventually go away through resting.

  26. #296
    Spinning Toe
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    589
    Quote Originally Posted by Pogo View Post

    If you spend time turning around after hitting that hidden switch, you'll never make it back through the field in time. Press S :)
    I had to strip down the armor and tons of torches because I was still too slow with the backward running trick. :)

    Addictive. At work playing this.... Luckily, I'm the boss. :) they made an almost perfect remake of DM.

  27. #297
    World's End Supernova
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    17,166
    Not sure what armor you had, I haven't had any carrying problems with my minotaur's maxed strength and my monk's very high strength.

    Funny thing about ranged attack rogues though... doesn't seem like Accuracy affects their ability to hit? A thrown weapon doesn't show an accuracy number when equipped?

  28. #298
    World's End Supernova
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    17,166
    Just figured out that rocks should be put in the offhand if you wish to use the Sling you find in level 1 or level 2, so that makes the fact that ALL of my points in my rogue went into Missile Weapons not so bad anymore (does more damage than shurikens and throwing knives with 0 thrown skill).

  29. #299
    Spinning Toe
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    589
    Quote Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
    Not sure what armor you had, I haven't had any carrying problems with my minotaur's maxed strength and my monk's very high strength.

    Funny thing about ranged attack rogues though... doesn't seem like Accuracy affects their ability to hit? A thrown weapon doesn't show an accuracy number when equipped?
    Not sure how accuracy is done in the game. I went with assassin skillset instead but am finding the dagger severely underpowered now.

  30. #300
    Social Worker
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    The Bottomless Pit of Despair
    Posts
    4,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
    Just figured out that rocks should be put in the offhand if you wish to use the Sling you find in level 1 or level 2, so that makes the fact that ALL of my points in my rogue went into Missile Weapons not so bad anymore (does more damage than shurikens and throwing knives with 0 thrown skill).
    There's an offhand? Which one is that? Does it matter for the usual swords and axes?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •