Thread: The 2011 Dominions 3 Thread

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by z22 View Post
    I went through the purchase process and it did allow me to download the game and it was priced at $48. Is this game available anywhere else? I didn't find it on Steam.

Don't believe so. It's an indy/indy niche publication and pretty sure only Shrapnel sells Shrapnel products.

Spinning Toe
    You can buy it on Amazon.com and a few other places but it still wont be any cheaper.

Shrapnel does give a 10% discount to students, or members of the american military

New Romantic
    *American Students.
    Last edited by McKnight; 08-26-2011 at 10:12 PM.

Still well worth the money though, even if you do just get your ass handed to you for your first 10 MP games...

Social Worker
    Espo timer off. My Foss turn is in but watch the next one. I'm on power outage alert.

Neo Acoustic

Newbies and Sharks

I'm really curious why anyone would want to attack me in this game.

The victory conditions state that in order to win, a nation needs to control 5 VPs, which are all located at the capitals of the seven nations that started this game.

I have taken no capitals, so defeating me is only worth one VP.

I have also proven that I am no easy meat, having destroyed much of the forces that Dave sent out and having taken the fight successfully into the water. I finished up taking one of Dave's underwater forts this turn. Why would anyone want to attack a powerful nation with no chance to gain from it?

If I were in the position my opponents were in, I'd be aiming for an Ender's Game solution: take just enough capitals to win and ignore everything else the enemy has. I'm rather confused why no one is trying this. Perhaps we've forgotten about the victory conditions?
    Last edited by Nate; 08-28-2011 at 08:34 AM.

Spinning Toe
    Could I have an extra 12 hours on Foss?

Also, good one Nate! Did you manage to keep a straight face while typing all that?

Neo Acoustic
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Weston View Post
    Could I have an extra 12 hours on Foss?

Also, good one Nate! Did you manage to keep a straight face while typing all that?
    Turn delayed.

Whatever do you mean, sir? I was deadly serious. You can win without fighting me, so why fight me at all if you can avoid it?

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    The victory conditions state that in order to win, a nation needs to control 5 VPs, which are all located at the capitals of the seven nations that started this game.
    Actually, the win condition is control of four VPs. See: http://www.quartertothree.com/game-t...ostcount=12380

Also, your twisted logic about how it makes no sense to attack you only makes sense if you are happy to not try to win yourself. After all you're not likely to sit back and let someone else gather enough victory points to win.

Mad Chester
    YARG3

An interesting game has opened up on the Shrapnel Forums. A third party assigns nations randomly and is the only one who knows who is playing what nation. Sending messages to other players, revealing what nation you are playing and all other diplomacy is forbidden. Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I'm going to give it a whirl, and the more the merrier - anyone else up for it?

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=47701

World's End Supernova Dave Perkins's Avatar
    That game sounds even more perfect for you to win!

I had entirely forgotten about the 4VP win condition, so thank you for the reminder!

Neo Acoustic
    Quote Originally Posted by Scribble View Post
    YARG3

An interesting game has opened up on the Shrapnel Forums. A third party assigns nations randomly and is the only one who knows who is playing what nation. Sending messages to other players, revealing what nation you are playing and all other diplomacy is forbidden. Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I'm going to give it a whirl, and the more the merrier - anyone else up for it?

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=47701
    With Mark, gryff and tenuki wiping me off the face of the map in Foss, I may try this out.

Neo Acoustic
    Actually, the win condition is control of four VPs. See: http://www.quartertothree.com/game-t...ostcount=12380

Also, your twisted logic about how it makes no sense to attack you only makes sense if you are happy to not try to win yourself. After all you're not likely to sit back and let someone else gather enough victory points to win.
    What I'm saying is logical. What I'm saying would benefit me. What I'm saying might win the game for the other nations involved. All of these are true statements.

What's so twisted about it? Admittedly, I'd probably turn on someone hitting 3 VPs, but at that point, it would most likely be too late for me to do anything about it. I have displayed no aggressive tendencies in this game whatsoever.

Not to say that I'm not enjoying myself. The war has been a lot of fun, and I've especially enjoyed demolishing all of Dave's armies. It's gotten a bit exhausting, though, to be honest. End-game organizing of stuff is crazy detailed if you want to be successful.

Speaking of which, how would everyone feel about extending the timer to a week? I'm a bit pressed for time these days. While a quick game can be taken care of on a weeknight, finding a couple hours in a stretch has been a little rough. I definitely have time on the weekends available. I'd hate to constantly be asking for extensions, especially with Mark moving to attack me.

I don't want to slow down the game, but I feel like I'm going to need it to give it the attention it deserves.

An extended timer is okay by me! I think the four of us are generally timely people and will play ahead of schedule if possible.

The war is a lot of fun, I agree. There's crap going on everywhere. We've swapped forts. You've feebleminded my dudes. Altogether I hate you!

Spinning Toe
    I'm fine with a longer timer if people need it.

Social Worker
    Newbs and Sharks

As the weakest nation left, turn time is not a problem for me, but I recognize some of y'all may have scripting issues. As usual, I'm against a blanket extension, but willing to go along with the crowd. If I last that long, the time could come in handy in a couple months.
    Last edited by dfs; 08-29-2011 at 12:24 PM.

Mad Chester
    Hosting time for Newbies and Sharks increased by request.

Neo Acoustic
    Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Newbs and Sharks

As the weakest nation left, turn time is not a problem for me, but I recognize some of y'all may have scripting issues. As usual, I'm against a blanket extension, but willing to go along with the crowd. If I last that long, the time could come in handy in a couple months.
    How are you the weakest? Largest income, largest gem income, most provinces, largest army, comparable research and an end game pretender design...

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    How are you the weakest? Largest income, largest gem income, most provinces, largest army, comparable research and an end game pretender design...
    Last in research by a HUGE margin. I just wasn't able to leverage my early play into a decent end game.

Neo Acoustic
    Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Last in research by a HUGE margin. I just wasn't able to leverage my early play into a decent end game.
    You're ahead of Dave in research, and only two grand behind the leader. So two level seven schools? Not that far behind. Unless those numbers need to be interpreted?

Neo Acoustic
    That RAND game sounds great. If I had a little more experience, i'd give it a go - but i'm still too green right now. My beginning game is fine, and now that i'm living I'm experiencing mid-game some more, but i've yet to make it to end game...

Mad Chester
    Yeah, it sounds fun, but bound to be some tough opposition. Don't think I have enough experience to win, but at the very least I want to give whoever takes me out a severe case of indigestion.

I don't have the capacity to play in any more games, but perhaps I could organize a small-scale RAND game for the QT3 crowd. Five-player, anonymous no-diplomacy game, who is playing what nation is not revealed before they are eliminated.

Any interest in that?

Hustle
    YARG3

I like the general idea, but the arrangement is extremely vulnerable to cheating and requires a higher level of trust than I'm willing to put into a bunch of random strangers with unknown rules ethics.

I'd play in an anonymous game with you people here though.

Social Worker
    I don't have the capacity to play in any more games
    This. There is just no way. There's 15 more turns of diamondback.
    Newbs and Sharks looks like it's settling in to a long stalemate.
    Foss is hitting it's stride.

What's more with the academic year heating up and work calling for traveling and blah, blah, blah.....

I don't have the capacity to play in any more games.

New Romantic
    Overland Park, KS XBL & PSN: Kid Socrates
    What they said, plus add in a bunch of hatred for my fellow man.

Same here, with extra hate for Matt.

New Romantic
    I hate Dave so much I have a little Perkins voodoo doll here with a bunch of pins stuck in one leg. HAHAHAHAHA

My new ACL came from a sorcerer who was still alive, so ha!

New Romantic
    Then whose voodoo doll is this? And why does my foot hurt?