Thread: The 2011 Dominions 3 Thread

Spinning Toe

dom3minions

Gandalf posted on the Shrapnel forum yesterday. Apparently the dom3minions.com blackout was an unintended consequence of GP trying to go cellular-only by dropping his landline phone. He says that he will bring the server back online in a few days.

Is esposito the only qt3 game running on GP's server? We've certainly missed it, and we certainly appreciate GP's unselfish devotion to running a free service for our enjoyment.

(I haven't played in any of our Llamaserver games, and I don't think Llamabeast reads qt3, but I hope we thank him every so often, as well)

Neo Acoustic

Spring Lion - How do you solve a problem like the undead?

Is Ermor a problem for these nations and this map?

I'm a little concerned because there are places in the map it can fortify itself in pretty easily and then just expand over the water.

Additionally, it seems pretty much everyone must adopt a 'must-kill' ermor mentality from the beginning and I'm concerned that will impact the enjoyment of the game.

Any thoughts? You guys have more experience with ermor...

Neo Acoustic
    It's all Juffo-Wup's fault. He threw them in, and now he gets to play them :)

It actually adds an interesting twist to the game having to deal with a threat like that.

Of course, I've never played them or played against them, so my perception of future events is conjecture based on imagination.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    It's all Juffo-Wup's fault. He threw them in, and now he gets to play them :)

It actually adds an interesting twist to the game having to deal with a threat like that.

Of course, I've never played them or played against them, so my perception of future events is conjecture based on imagination.
    Actually....it's my problem both as a host and as a player.

If other's object, I will be glad to forego ermor. I'm playing MA Ermor in Newbs and Sharks and while there are differences, I find myself looking at many of the same tricks as well.

Just me 0.02 worth. I don't think Ermor is as much of a problem on this map as it would be on something larger. Most of the nations already have access to N mages and the simple forges they have to make Ermanean lands survivable for the living. I'm willing to stay with it and I'm willing to pick another nation out of the pile if 4 folks feel that's needed.

Given a choice of nations, I would like another crack at Joman who I have failed with miserably before. So, there you go folks in Spring Lion, would you rather have me as Ermor or me as Joman?

Hustle
    Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Given a choice of nations, I would like another crack at Joman who I have failed with miserably before. So, there you go folks in Spring Lion, would you rather have me as Ermor or me as Joman?
    As you are crowned champ of 666, I'm liking 'failed' and 'miserably' in the same sentence...

;)

Hustle
    Hmm... Ermor was the odd nation out in the pool, so I suppose you playing Jomon would make for a better balanced game overall. OTOH, I (and I suspect some others as well) made my choice from the pool based on the knowledge that Ermor would be the monster in the game. Jomon, although not nearly as powerful, is also completely different regarding paths and stuff.

But that's a minor quibble. No objections.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by tenuki View Post
    Hmm... Ermor was the odd nation out in the pool, so I suppose you playing Jomon would make for a better balanced game overall. OTOH, I (and I suspect some others as well) made my choice from the pool based on the knowledge that Ermor would be the monster in the game. Jomon, although not nearly as powerful, is also completely different regarding paths and stuff.

But that's a minor quibble. No objections.
    I'm sorry. I cannot interpret your intentions here. Given a choice, would you rather I played Ermor or Jomon? If you don't really have a preference, I'll stay with the draw the way it was intended and bear the fortune/misfortune of playing Ermor.

Hustle
    Sorry.

I'm okay with your swap; I just didn't want to miss a perfect opportunity to voice some largely irrelevant concerns.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by tenuki View Post
    I'm okay with your swap; I just didn't want to miss a perfect opportunity to voice some largely irrelevant concerns.
    I don't think your concerns are irrelevant and it's kind of why I'm forcing the point. My preference would be that the game proceed along the lines of the initial selection. Some players voiced the idea that removing Ermor would produce a better experience and I provided an alternative.

Evil Steve wants me to have Jomon.
    What would YOU prefer....(This is to everybody, not just tenuki. If you don't really care....then vote for the status quo)

New Romantic
    Overland Park, KS XBL & PSN: Kid Socrates
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrhic View Post
    To: T'ien Ch'i

From: The Coalition against Evil (being Maverni, Hinnom, Pangaea, Niefelheim, Tir na n'Og)

Under authority of the coalition nations, on this 50th Month of our struggles, I am hereby authorized to announce the revocation of any and all NAPs or agreements between each respective nation and that of T'ien Ch'i.

Your wind chimes and cheap imported electronics are no longer welcome here sir!
    "Sir?"
    "What? What? Speak quickly! But do not speak up. These halls are silent."
    "T'ien Ch'i is under siege by five nations, my Lord."
    "A force dedicated to reclaiming the abused apostrophes, no doubt. Why are you bothering me with the affairs of others?"
    "...my Lord, they're our allies."
    "And?"
    "Generally, when an ally is attacked, the allies go to their aid."
    "Truly?"
    "Yes."
    "Well. I hope we flogged whoever signed THAT treaty."
    "..."
    "It was me, wasn't it."
    "Yes, my Lord."
    "Medammit. TO ARMS!"

We will be joining the fight against the silly Rebel Alliance!

Spinning Toe
    My sincerest apologies to all.
    Im back. and the server is back (almost completely).
    Im still getting over the shakes from the 19 days without my internet addiction. And still winding thru the 19 days of queue'd mail that have flooded in. If anyone is interested in the horrendous domino effect that caused this, its here...
    http://69.12.159.137/~gandalf/snafu.txt

Please let me know (email preferably) if you still want pending games to be restarted or if they are just considered dead after such a gap.
    Gandalf Parker

Hustle
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Bowyer View Post

..Blah Blah..

Rebel Alliance? Wouldn't that need us to be under the government of T'ien Ch'i first?

We aren't rebelling against TC, we are eradicating TC... and you apparently.

New Romantic
    Overland Park, KS XBL & PSN: Kid Socrates
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
    Rebel Alliance? Wouldn't that need us to be under the government of T'ien Ch'i first?

We aren't rebelling against TC, we are eradicating TC... and you apparently.
    TC has already won. You guys just don't realize it yet.

I would also like to point out that I am ABSOLUTELY not Darth Vader here, and will not be chucking anyone into an elevator shaft. Promise.

Hustle

Evil Steve wants me to have Jomon.
    What would YOU prefer....(This is to everybody, not just tenuki. If you don't really care....then vote for the status quo)
    I totally welcome the idea of removing Ermor from the pool because I prefer a balanced game.

If your goal is to minimize the after-the-fact effects on my personal nation selection, you could take some other nation that has death, like C'tis or Spampire Lords. Since we're in a no-tart game, that might be too tough a thing to demand however.

As I said, I'd be okay with Jomon as well. I believe that having Jomon on the map instead of Ermor would make for a better overall game experience.

Neo Acoustic
    I favor Jomon too.

Spinning Toe

Esposito

This would affect me, wahoo, Perkins, Scribble, and Gryff

As you can probably guess (because I have brought it up already), I would like to see esposito start back up again. My interest in the game has gone up and down over the months, but it is the only game I am in, and I'd like to at least clash with bandar log and see what happens. Not to mention that the whole "can Scribble somehow survive the comedy of errors that have been the hallmark of the various 'get Scribble' alliances, and still win the game?" dynamic.

If the consensus is to start back up, we can have wahoo email Gandalf.

Quote Originally Posted by gp1628 View Post

Please let me know (email preferably) if you still want pending games to be restarted or if they are just considered dead after such a gap.
    Gandalf Parker

Social Worker
    Spring Lion Time to learn your nation folks....part 2.

My hope is that we will start the game on December 3rd or so with a 24 hour timer (with an even faster turnaround) till mid december at which point we will likely go to a much slower holiday pace till January hits and we start a regular 48 hour timer. Do not be surprised by this if you sign up for this game.

tenuki - Gath
    Evil Steve - Tien
    Pyrhic - Patala
    Nate - Bogarus
    ddtibs - Pangea
    dfs - Jomon
    Juffo-Wup - Arco

HOF max
    Site selection-Normal for Age.
    Renaming On.
    EndGameDiversity Mod. Note that this does not mean....No Tarts....It's a mod attempting to counter tarts by making other end game summons available to different paths. It is probably worth your time to go ahead and play a couple solo games with the mod enabled.

If someone wants to create a version of EGD w/out the chalice and/or modifying GOH and/or modifying tarts....have at it and if I find it stable, we'll use it.

My initial impression is I would like to use The lonely mermaid map. I have a version of this map on my system tagged (multiplayer version) which has 14 seas. That's the one I would like to use. You can find it at http://forum.shrapnelgames.com//showthread.php?t=38663 This is not the one labeled (less seas version) that has 21 seas.
    I'll fool around with the multiplayer version of this map for a bit and unless I find a reason not to use it, we'll use it.

Hustle
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Bowyer View Post
    "Sir?"
    "What? What? Speak quickly! But do not speak up. These halls are silent."
    "T'ien Ch'i is under siege by five nations, my Lord."
    "A force dedicated to reclaiming the abused apostrophes, no doubt. Why are you bothering me with the affairs of others?"
    "...my Lord, they're our allies."
    "And?"
    "Generally, when an ally is attacked, the allies go to their aid."
    "Truly?"
    "Yes."
    "Well. I hope we flogged whoever signed THAT treaty."
    "..."
    "It was me, wasn't it."
    "Yes, my Lord."
    "Medammit. TO ARMS!"

-- M'lady.
    -- Yeah?
    -- Their Nefariousness, The Great Disheveler of TC, have acquired a pet dog.
    -- 'sat so?
    -- Yes, m'lady.
    -- Well, what do you suppose I should do about that?
    -- Uh. M'lady, I hesitate to air my opinions in your presence lest they be judged to be unwise.
    -- Huh. Been clevering up, have you?
    -- M'lady does me too much honor.
    -- Well, maybe a motivational speech would be in order.
    -- To what effect?
    -- Well, the pet dog in question appears to believe that it is futile to resist his own demise and might therefore as well assist it.
    -- And how do you think should I address somebody who has adopted such a mindset with any expectation of success?
    -- As to that, m'lady, I have to admit I am at a loss.
    -- Thought so.
    -- I am sorry, m'lady.
    -- I believe you.
    -- Thank you, m'lady.
    Last edited by tenuki; 11-07-2011 at 04:09 PM.

Spinning Toe
    Esposito is back up.

Thanks, Gandalf!

Mad Chester
    QT3RAND

Turn 30 rolls around, all players still alive and kicking. Noone has requested that more time be added to the clock yet, but let me know if anyone feels that turns are processing too quickly. I'd be happy to up the timer to say, 60 hours.

Esposito

Now to make sense of this game again. Scratch one water queen, at least.

World's End Supernova Dave Perkins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ron_debry View Post
    Not to mention that the whole "can Scribble somehow survive the comedy of errors that have been the hallmark of the various 'get Scribble' alliances, and still win the game?" dynamic.
    This is so well put!

Spinning Toe
    It doesn't look like wahoo has been on QT3 since esposito went back online. So I have emailed Gandalf and asked him to hold the timer until wahoo returns.

We'll see if Gandalf has dug himself out of his email backlog enough to notice...

World's End Supernova Dave Perkins's Avatar
    Thanks, ron.

Spinning Toe
    The clock is still running (29 hours), and I will be pretty busy tomorrow - so I will go ahead and submit a turn that does not take any offensive actions (I'd say lets just all stale, but Scribble has already put in a turn).

Neo Acoustic
    Hey all,

I want to know if anyone's around that can sub for me while i'm on vacation? I'll be gone just over a week, over thanksgiving, and won't have access to a pc.

the games I need help with are:

Foss - As Tir na N'og (Endgame diversity mod). Good position, late game. In a coalition against the game leader which is just about to get interesting.

Qt3Rand - As ?????. Mid game. This is a no-diplomacy, no communications game, where all the players are still active, and anonymous. It's been running on a great timetable(now into turn 32 and still on a 2 day timer), with only 5 total stales to date.

If anyone's interested in taking the helm of these 2 nations for a couple of weeks, send me a msg or post.

Thanks!

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrhic View Post
    Hey all,

I want to know if anyone's around that can sub for me while i'm on vacation? I'll be gone just over a week, over thanksgiving, and won't have access to a pc.

the games I need help with are:

Foss - As Tir na N'og (Endgame diversity mod). Good position, late game. In a coalition against the game leader which is just about to get interesting.
    I'm probably as rabid about never delaying games as anybody here at qt3 and even I recognize that Thanksgiving and part of December are just going to be train wrecks.

Mad Chester
    I think I'd rather put QT3RAND on a break than have a sub come in just for a couple of turns. Let me know when you are leaving, pyrhic.

Mad Chester
    QT3RAND

Looking like the rest of Nov will be slow for this game. The current turn till not host before pyrhic is back from his travels, so on Monday the 30th of Nov. Enjoy the break.

We should also discuss Xmas schedule. I'm leaning toward putting the game on a really slow timer for the latter half of December, but with quickhost on so that turns could go quickly if everyone finds time to play. If noone objects to this, that is how I will handle it.

Neo Acoustic
    Quote Originally Posted by Scribble View Post
    QT3RAND

Looking like the rest of Nov will be slow for this game. The current turn till not host before pyrhic is back from his travels, so on Monday the 30th of Nov. Enjoy the break.

We should also discuss Xmas schedule. I'm leaning toward putting the game on a really slow timer for the latter half of December, but with quickhost on so that turns could go quickly if everyone finds time to play. If noone objects to this, that is how I will handle it.
    Long turn quickhost is fine for me for Christmas. I actually have nothing but time during the holidays and will miss the current pace of gaming.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    Long turn quickhost is fine for me for Christmas. I actually have nothing but time during the holidays and will miss the current pace of gaming.
    Hopefully spring lion will roll during the holidays. At least that's the idea.