Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action

Spinning Toe
    One thing I've noticed that is somewhat counter-intuitive is that crouching behind waist-high objects is pretty much the safest position in the game.

The absence of any kind of lateral cover usage is conspicuous, but figuring this out has helped me significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cl_Flushentityhero View Post
    One thing I've noticed that is somewhat counter-intuitive is that crouching behind waist-high objects is pretty much the safest position in the game.

The absence of any kind of lateral cover usage is conspicuous, but figuring this out has helped me significantly.
    That's not always true, I've had my mercs get taken down with headshots from crouching behind cars or sandbags. I've had them get shot while prone near a car too - the enemy can see UNDER the car.

Ex-pat Brooklynite in the swamps of Florida.
    Also annoying when my guy is prone on a roof and gets a cannot hit for someone on the ground, who proceeds to pop my guy.

World's End Supernova
    I was clearing the prison in Alma and had my group on the roof shooting down on bad guys in the courtyard. The AI cleverly had some guys run out the door underneath me and toss a grenade up, knocking out two of my six mercs and then injuring the others. A few grenades of my own took care of that threat, but I was impressed by the tactics.

Now I'm trying to take on the barracks. Not going well so far - there are just so many enemies - over 60, in fact.

I read in a review that Tanks can only be defeated by grenades. Is this still true? I want to know before I leave a town with 2 tanks to get a rocket launcher which might be worthless when dealing with tanks. In general, any tank related strategies?

Neo Acoustic
    The LAW should take out tanks. It might take more than one though.

Quote Originally Posted by Strato View Post
    The LAW should take out tanks. It might take more than one though.
    I never used more than one shot with a LAW to kill a tank.

World's End Supernova
    Man, this Alma barracks/dock area is tough. I suppose that if I exit the area to heal up and come back later I'll lose all the loot dropped by the bad guys I've already killed, right?

I'm also beginning to notice the body armor issue. Even the best version gets shredded pretty quickly and since you can't fix it you just have to keep buying more and more with the only source being the website shop. People weren't exagerrating when they said the game quickly reaches the point where you need two full sets just to get through each main area.
    Last edited by Sarkus; 02-25-2012 at 06:59 PM.

So I cleared the second town for that crime lord. He said he would give me 250,000 for it. He only gave me 75k. I can't even shoot him to get even. I was planning on buying a whole other squad of mercs with that money.

Is that part of the story or a bug? I mean, was he like, "Here's your money and fuck you."

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarkus View Post
    Man, this Alma barracks/dock area is tough. I suppose that if I exit the area to heal up and come back later I'll lose all the loot dropped by the bad guys I've already killed, right?

I'm also beginning to notice the body armor issue. Even the best version gets shredded pretty quickly and since you can't fix it you just have to keep buying more and more with the only source being the website shop. People weren't exagerrating when they said the game quickly reaches the point where you need two full sets just to get through each main area.
    How do you even carry two sets of body armour? Without even addressing the weight, those things aren't exactly things that fit in your pocket.

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by Destarius View Post
    How do you even carry two sets of body armour? Without even addressing the weight, those things aren't exactly things that fit in your pocket.
    Realistically you couldn't, but in game terms its not that hard. You can also carry four guns and a whole lot of other gear since its a simple weight limit and inventory slot (1 carry + 3 for guns, a bunch more for everything else) system.

It's just annoying when have recently purchased $4k each vests for everyone and half way through the first mission after they are all pretty much worthless.

How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarkus View Post
    It's just annoying when have recently purchased $4k each vests for everyone and half way through the first mission after they are all pretty much worthless.
    They aren't worthless, but they are worth less. Completely depleted body armor still has a significantly higher armor value than no armor at all.

I recall someone saying earlier that they had cleared the hospital but didn't clear the university. They didn't think it would be of any use.

Spoiler: University FYI
    There is a crate near the kitchen that is loaded with handguns and ammo, as well as a repair kit. A few Desert Eagle type pistols. Great militia stuff.

World's End Supernova
    I finished the barracks/docks part of Alma. Lots of reloads. The control room at the barracks was quite the bear. Really, a big chunk of the level was. I sniped engaged a lot of enemies at distance and tried to create choke points to take out large numbers and that worked fairly well, but by the time I went inside the barracks I was down to only two fully healthy mercs and my medical supplies were running low. I ended up soloing Wolf quite a lot with his shotgun and some grenades.

You do get quite a few guns from the level and get another merchant. Though at this point money is not my biggest concern and very few of the guns that drop are have any value beyond being used to equip militia.

The one thing I don't get is how god-awful bad the burst mode is. I have Grunty with a Minimi and its hardly worth ever having him fire in anything other then single shot mode. Same with Bull and his AKSU74. The chance to hit is never good no matter what range enemies are at.
    Last edited by Sarkus; 02-27-2012 at 01:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RichVR View Post
    Is that part of the story or a bug? I mean, was he like, "Here's your money and fuck you."
    When he gave you the quest, he said $250k. When I got the reward it was $75k. There was no "fuck you" part. It was just as if the reward would have been $75k all the time. I guess it is a bug, either in the initial offer or the reward. $250k would have netted you two well equipped merc teams easily.

Sarkus:

Burst mode has it's advantages. You know those guys who's torso shots will do 0 damage? Burst mode those guys, it will chew up their armor. I get two or three mercs to bust fire those guys to put them down.

I also use burst mode when I am being swarmed by guys. Each "round" I want to put down a few enemies so I set everyone to burst mode. When they are prone the hit penalty isn't that bad. I also make sure my weapons have good range. That AKSU74 you have has a very short range, 20m I think. A basic AK47 has a range of 49, use those instead. Shooting beyond your weapon range really hurts in the accuracy department.

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepT View Post
    Sarkus:

Burst mode has it's advantages. You know those guys who's torso shots will do 0 damage? Burst mode those guys, it will chew up their armor. I get two or three mercs to bust fire those guys to put them down.

I also use burst mode when I am being swarmed by guys. Each "round" I want to put down a few enemies so I set everyone to burst mode. When they are prone the hit penalty isn't that bad. I also make sure my weapons have good range. That AKSU74 you have has a very short range, 20m I think. A basic AK47 has a range of 49, use those instead. Shooting beyond your weapon range really hurts in the accuracy department.
    I mispoke, he has a different gun. Either way, it has plenty of range. It just seems like the hit chance even at very close range is pretty bad for those guns. I'm tempted to just equip everyone with M16s and Steyr's since they seem the best all-around guns for different situations, other then maybe having one pure sniper.

My only real complaint about the game is the in-ability for militia to hold territory consistently. I had one city with 5 militia with decent guns and they defeated an entire enemy invasion without losses. So I am thinking, ok, maybe I was just giving them crappy guns so now I give them good guns and they will hold out. I go to the town and give another 5 guys fairly good guns, to bring the total to 10. Now a group of 8 enemy soldiers once again approaches the city only this time, they kill all the militia without a single loss. Its like there is some random number picked on the outcome rather than anything realistic.

I would like to have the ability to somehow invest in a place (given weapons or other things) to get it to be fairly secure so you do not need a merc squad to protect it. I was thinking that if the defenders are victorious, then all the guns from the ones that died are used again, AND additional militia can be geared from the invaders they kill. They would automatically upgrade to better equipment, sell other scavenged items to buy armor and other stuff.

Am I an idiot or what? I just accidentally noticed that you can change your merc's facing by right clicking and dragging.

Broad Band
    Quote Originally Posted by RichVR View Post
    Am I an idiot or what? I just accidentally noticed that you can change your merc's facing by right clicking and dragging.
    Haha, yeah, it took me a while to figure it out too. But in JA2, you could designate a facing and they would hold that facing even as they moved, sort of crab walking to keep eyes on an area. I don't know how to do that in BiA or if it's even possible.

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie_Dy View Post
    Haha, yeah, it took me a while to figure it out too. But in JA2, you could designate a facing and they would hold that facing even as they moved, sort of crab walking to keep eyes on an area. I don't know how to do that in BiA or if it's even possible.
    You can set waypoints in Plan&Go and explicitly have each merc face in a certain direction at that waypoint. This holds the facing as long as you move forward relative to the last facing. ;)

Is there a way to re-arrange mercs in the roster? I mean the 6 man squad roster.

Also, does anyone know of enemy squads originate at a common point? IE: The palace or can they spawn anywhere the enemy controls?

Mad Chester
    I don't know if anyone's mentioned this already, but the change to how character levels / advancement works compared to the original really makes me sad. My first merc (Raven) has already hit level 10 (the level cap), so she can't improve any more. Too bad, as I feel I'm only a 1/3 of the way into the game or so. In the old system, you could get better with skills as long as you used them, so you could get someone like Ira to be a decent shot late game if you kept her around long enough.

This makes me think that hiring people and leveling their skills very carefully is more important than I'd have expected - jack of all trades aren't really worth it. Maxing marksmanship, dex, agility, and strength for fighters (and not enhancing any of their other skills) is key. I haven't done a formal analysis yet, but I have a feeling some characters are inherently better than others based around the point allocations they have before being hired, along with what level they are.

I have wondered if the characters are even balanced. I mean you can hire a merc at level 1, and another at level 4. Are all the skills + stats for the hired level 4 merc only 21 pts higher than the level 1 guy? I do not think so. Some of the more expensive mercs have high physical AND skill stats.

I am also upset about the level cap. I got bull to level 10 and was going to work on his medicine to get it to 20, but there were not enough skill points due to the level cap. He still gets a tun of XP, which is useless to him now. At the very least it would be nice if he didn't suck up any part of the XP for killing things so the rest of the team got it.

I focus on marksmanship first then Ill round out medicine to 20 (if they are close to that anyway) then the rest goes to strength. As for the rest of the stats, due to the level cap I do not think you can do much with the other stats, not to mention the large amount of XP per level you need by that point if there wasn't a cap.

Social Worker
    The characters are not balanced, no. Some have a higher stats ceiling than others, which makes this chart mandatory for the obsessive min/maxer. Note that for certain characters stats aren't necessarily gamebreaking, as Raven is still one of the better snipers in the game despite mediocre stats potential.

That sucks. I hope they fix that if they do a sequel. Id really like the ability to make your first merc or mercs a custom character. This would only work if stats were balanced.

I think bull is my favorite merc simply because he was my first and I raised him from level 1 to level 10.

World's End Supernova
    I cleared out San Mona tonight, and it was easier then I was expecting after the grind that was the military barracks level. I've also created a backup squad to sit in Cambria and take care of the inevitable attacks - I hired three guys that just showed up and then just got another solid merc in San Mona to make it a four man team. Meanwhile Ira and Maddog can be the gophers since they suck at shooting guns and I need people to haul crap around anyway.

Neo Acoustic
    I did something by accident that turned out to be a great strategy. Go ahead and sell the quest item diamonds that you find. They are a great early game money boost and you can buy them back for the same price once you have a good income.

Goodluck!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepT View Post
    That sucks. I hope they fix that if they do a sequel. Id really like the ability to make your first merc or mercs a custom character. This would only work if stats were balanced.

I think bull is my favorite merc simply because he was my first and I raised him from level 1 to level 10.
    Bull was one of my favorite low level guys in jA 2.

Yeah with Coreplay not tweaking the merc stats to fit their new Traits/Stats/Item Level Requirement system and the points per level system coupled with the 'unfit' trait. Bull, and other 'unfits' are more of a liability.

Good early game maybe, but he probably wont make it to the end game and survive too well. However he is fun to hire, run him to zero stamina and hear him yell "Gotta stop.. CHEST PAINS!"