Thread: Origin: EA trying to beat steam

I thrust game designers New Romantic Teiman's Avatar
    psn: Teikman. | I have killed Atheon and survived the ontological weapons
    Seems that Origin is built on the same wrong corporate ideas as GFWL. You use spanish? you must be from spain... even if you live in USA. So you can't buy from Origin.

language != nation != territory != person but some people seems unaware

Neo Acoustic
    Quote Originally Posted by Teiman View Post
    Seems that Origin is built on the same wrong corporate ideas as GFWL. You use spanish? you must be from spain... even if you live in USA. So you can't buy from Origin.

Why can't you Englishmen just give Origin a chance?

Neo Acoustic
    Perth, Western Australia. Steam ID: Talorc
    I still harbour a secret dream that one day someone will use the US/Australia free trade pact to legally challenge regional pricing (and win) . Or the World Trade Organisation. Or hell, even a UN security council resolution. You can invade other countries with that shit, surely they can sort out regional pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony M View Post
    Why can't you Englishmen just give Origin a chance?
    Only one? I give it 10. And I desire good luck to then.

I am a pesimist person, so having all eggs in one basket feels like a problem.

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by Teiman View Post

That's his fault for being in Puerto Rico and speaking Spanish. He needs to learn Puerto Rican or GTFO.

Social Worker
    Since you're communicating in English, would it not be possible to .. select ENGLISH as language?

My biggest gripe with some of these services is that if I pick Norway, it automatically transforms everything to a horrible mess in Norwegian and there is no way to get it in English. Like on the XBOX, set your country to Norway, Language to English, you get a mix of either...

Der Schulde World's End Supernova TurinTur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by instant0 View Post
    Since you're communicating in English, would it not be possible to .. select ENGLISH as language?
    The page select automatically the language.

There in flag in the Origin page, and it even has a label saying "localization settings", but it doesn't work, it's just links to electronic carts site.

Social Worker
    I'm a Steam-only person. There is only one thing that will get me to use Origin: Ultima X. Get on it EA!

The language == country is wrong.

There are more than 2 or 3 languages in my country. And what "flag" you use for english? do you use the english flag, or the usa flag? , language != country.

You sould be free to browse a website in any language from any country. What if you are from USA, and you are visiting france, you still want to see a website in english. And if you are french, and you are in USA, you want to read these websites in french. location != language.

You can be norwegian, but you may want to read a game description in english, since the norwegian one is bad. person != language.

If you are spanish, is ok to show a text description in spanish, and the prize in euros. But if you are mexican, you want the price in mexican dolares. If you are from argentina, you want the price in pesos argentinos or dolares. language != money system.

The problem that person in Puerto Rico have is that:
    - He talks in spanish and english
    - He use USA dolares
    - He wants to buy the usa version of the game

Origin thinks location = language = money system, so want him:
    - Force him to use spanish
    - Force him to pay in euros
    - (unconfirmed) Probably force him to buy a europe version, and be subject to delays to some games

This can be a small bug in the platform, or maybe the whole thing is built that way.
    Last edited by Teiman; 08-12-2011 at 03:27 PM.

Spinning Toe
    It never fails to irritate the hell out of me when websites, games and the like insist on showing me their content in Norwegian, with no option to change it to English. Most of the time, the syntax and grammar are a total mess, full of shitty literal translations of terms that mean something completely different in English. If a product has been made in English, I will ALWAYS choose to view/interact with it in English. Hell, most of the time if a product hasn't been made in English(but some language other than Norwegian), the English translation will be vastly superior to any Norwegian one anyway.
    Last edited by Thoro; 08-12-2011 at 11:50 AM.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoro View Post
    It never fails to irritate the hell out of me when websites, games and the like insist on showing me their content in Norwegian, with no option to change it to English. Most of the time, the syntax and grammar are a total mess, full of shitty literal translations of terms that mean something completely different in English. If a product has been made in English, I will ALWAYS choose to view/interact with it in English. Hell, most of the time if a product hasn't been made in English(but some language other than Norwegian), the English translation will be vastly superior to any Norwegian one anyway.
    Glad to see I'm not the only Norwegian that hate this. :-)

Its probably very different for Norwegians compared to people from some of the other (bigger) Euro countries.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by instant0 View Post
    Glad to see I'm not the only Norwegian that hate this. :-)

Its probably very different for Norwegians compared to people from some of the other (bigger) Euro countries.
    Don't be so sure.
    I hate the German Origin version with a passion.

Goddamn EA! Steam lets me display everything in English since when I first went there (to activate Half-Life 2 so that was a "while" ago).

New Romantic
    Try playing Assassins Creed 2 on PS3 with freakin' danish subtitling...horrible! And it INSISTS! on subtitling in danish...

World's End Supernova Chris Nahr's Avatar
    Just import all games from Britain. That's cheaper anyway.

Aw, yes! Gabe Newell has finally commented!

http://www.develop-online.net/news/3...A-to-come-back

Newell suggested the struggle with EA is complicated, but nevertheless reconcilable.

"I don’t think Valve can pick just one thing and think the issue would go away if we fixed that," he said.

"We have to show EA it’s a smart decision to have EA games on Steam, and we’re going to try to show them that," he said.

...And Peter Moore at EA comments as well!

GameSpot: Is there any update on the negotiations with Valve to get games like Battlefield 3 on Steam?

Peter Moore: It's pretty simple, and I think we've said it pretty consistently over the last few weeks. If we're allowed to deal with our consumers directly, being able to transact directly with our consumers, fix issues directly with consumers, then we'll be happy to sit down with our good friends at Valve and resolve some of those differences. But if their terms and conditions and policies don't change, then we'll focus on the other hundred download retailers we see in the marketplace and our own platform of course, Origin. It's important for us to have a direct conversation with our consumers, particularly on the PC platform, which is an open platform and should be kept that way.

The Origin platform is open to EA, but closed to everyone else. And the Steam platform is open to everyone that want to use it trought the Steamworks program.

Peter Moore don't probably understand the unlimited power of standards. That is sad, having the internet as a glorious example of what standards can turn into. Is like a medieval king refusing to sign the Magna Carta. In that way, Peter Moore is as awesome as King John of England.

http://i.imgur.com/kAcfK.jpg

Peter Moore, can you please put the EA games in Steam? 30 million of gamers will be more than happy for it, thanks.
    Last edited by Teiman; 08-20-2011 at 09:29 AM.

Social Worker
    Ugh, that's the problem with games reporting right there. It's not that they don't have the guts to ask hard questions, is that they're simply not informed enough to know the right questions to ask.

"If we're allowed to deal with our consumers directly"

What, exactly, does he mean by that? Countless developers on Steam interact directly with customers. Just look at the Magicka developers. They were constantly interacting with the community on the forums and releasing significant patches literally every single day.

"But if their terms and conditions and policies don't change"

What specific terms and conditions? Why won't anyone ask him that? Do the interviewers not have a solid basis of understanding exactly what countless other developers do on Steam? There are developers like Relic who release everything through Steam, including DLC. Or there's Arkham Asylum, that got all of its patches through Games for Windows Live instead of Steam. They even sold DLC outside of Steam.

"It's important for us to have a direct conversation with our consumers, particularly on the PC platform, which is an open platform and should be kept that way."

Again, where are the specific examples? What exactly are they trying to do that other developers haven't already done?

Ugh, GameSpot's utter laziness here bugs the hell out of me.

Mad Chester
    Steam is a standard like Windows is a standard. Monopoly is not a good thing.
    Steam is great and I love it but I happy that someone is actually trying to compete, even if it is not direct competition because they are publisher specific services like Origin and Battle.net will help the overall market improve.

And once again the problem is DLC you have to make it available on Steam if it exist, if you don't your game is removed.

Social Worker
    I wouldn't call Origin fighting the monopoly as much as running away from it.

I expect to see more of this as DD is now mainstream.

The big loser is going to be Gamestop, who paid Stardock a bunch of money for a service that will become irrelevant if the AAA folks decide to go it alone. Brad probably sold it at the perfect time.

Quote Originally Posted by Alstein View Post
    The big loser is going to be Gamestop, who paid Stardock a bunch of money for a service that will become irrelevant if the AAA folks decide to go it alone. Brad probably sold it at the perfect time.
    Funny you should mention that.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...-in-early-beta

Mad Chester
    Could "communicating directly with the consumer" mean that blasted EA server log in? Even on consoles it's a serious turn off that makes me avoid EA games as much as possible.

New Romantic
    Yep - I'm pretty sure. Such a "wonderful" feature, isn't it?

World's End Supernova Chris Nahr's Avatar
    Ubisoft requires its own launcher login for From Dust, even on Steam, so that can't be the issue.

New Romantic
    Oh, I though we were being silly, as in "When the heck has EA ever communicated directly with the consumer?" (Well, except to tell them they're dropping server support for a favorite game)

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Telefrog View Post
    Peter Moore: It's important for us to have a direct conversation with our consumers, particularly on the PC platform, which is an open platform and should be kept that way.
    And then you have shit like this:

Moore, come out of the woodwork, I know you're hiding in here somewhere...
    Lets put it on the table: EA has just as much, if not worse, customer support track record as Valve. So wanting to have direct communication with your consumers-WHAT!? Utter bullshite and nets ZERO positive value for the consumers. Hell, I think I'd rather hide behind Valve while dealing with EA's dong as a customer. Valve could probably actually coarse some response for me outta your cold doormats.

And by the way, I've been saying this before and long before Origin even sprouted its animated, insult-in-face-of-gamers, zombiefied anus on the block:
    EA bills you regionally. With varying prices. With varying currency. FOR DOWNLOADABLE DIGITAL CONTENT IN THE DIGITAL ERA WHERE THEY CUT THE RETAILERS OFF THE FOOD CHAIN!!!

So, yeah...
    I repeat my old repartee at this point: Fuck EA, fuck Sony, (and microsoft too, GFWL is shit on a pogo stick and on flaming fire...so have fun taking a bite) may they all burn to hell and responsible corps with moralistic CEOs take their place and their earnings. Deservedly.
    And also: this isn't us vs them, there is no them, there's only us. Stop buying their products, unite as consumers and make their corps fail.

Spinning Toe
    Not having read the whole thread through, here's my 2 cents:

I don't trust EA at all. they are the company who routinely discontinues online support for games people have paid for, merely to con those gamers into buying the next version. I'm pretty sure they're about to put another end-of-life report out in the next month. One of these days, Madden will ship with online play disabled (though it will still cost the same amount, and be the same online engine as last year), and charge a fee to activate that.

I understand why EA is doing this (starting Origin), but I don't see any value-add for the gamer, only more opportunities to get screwed by EA.

I didn't trust Steam initially, but Valve has provided so much added value through Steam that I'm a believer now.

EA goes the other direction, rather than providing a better product that provides more value to the customer, they look for ways to force more money out of the customer for essentially the same products.

I've already stopped buying any EA sports games on the consoles, now I expect EA's pc games will no longer be a factor either.

Social Worker
    EA stopped being a factor for me for many years now. And I never flinched to recall their games existed. Plenty of that pretty Solomon in the sea.

And ever since Activision/Kotick took charge over Blizzard's management and their treatment/approach to consumer went downhill just the same as EA I've ceased paying them attention as well.
    And yet again, I found that I don't feel as though I've missed anything, either.
    After all, StarCraft 2 may be popular. It's probably a good game. But is it the mother innovative of RTS that will re-ignite my lost flame for the genre? Nope.

I haven't touched any Sony product in probably over a decade. Do I feel a loss? Can't say that I do.

Unlike consoles, unlike digital platforms that 'allow' you the 'privilege' of 'renting' a game from them, there's nothing on the PC to force me to do anything. It's self-sufficient.
    That's the beauty of it. I don't like a service, a company or a game then it's not even on my radar. And I can find plenty of satisfaction elsewhere just the same.

New Romantic
    At the first PAX East I got a free digital copy of Battlefield: BC2. Back then I dl'd it with the EA download manager and played the first level and never got back to it. I've switched hard drives since then, and dutifully downloaded it, ran it once, and never got back to it.

So I'm trying to decide if I want to buy DAII through Origin today, or just pay the extra money for the 360 version (it's $10 more). So just to see I fired up my long downloaded BC2.

1. Log in to EA.com before you can play.
    2. It asks for my serial number. Where the hell is that? In Steam I can always Shift-Tab and see that. Can't do that here because I ran BC2 directly. Okay, let's start up the old EA download manager, I think the code was listed somewhere there.
    3. EA download manager has an update, do I want to download that? Yes.
    4. Welcome to Origin! Sign in here. Oh, make an Avatar. Oh yeah, here's a bunch of social networking crap that we're sure you're interested in (not). Click privacy choices.
    5. Finally see My Games, which consists of BC2. It doesn't show me my code. I click on it hoping to expand it. I am now launching a second iteration of BC2. I'm feeling like this is a comedy of errors, but I shut down my first copy while the second one is still launching.
    6. Alt-Tab back to Origin. There's an i within the icon for BC2, I click that and I can now see my code. I copy it to the clipboard.
    7. I get back into BC2, get back to where it's asking me for my code. I try to paste. Nothing happens. I cannot copy and paste the CD code from their service to their game.
    8. Alt-Tab back to Origin. Find a piece of paper, write down the code, back to BC2, type it in.
    9. I am now asked to create a "Soldier Name." WTF? This is on top of my EA login, and my Origin login. I create one.
    10. I can now play my game. I no longer want to.

Oh, and bonus, Origin wants to be always on! You have to tell it to exit twice before you can actually get it to quit. I hate this trend in applications. I hate it in Steam, I hate it in Skype, and now I hate it in Origin. When I tell you to fucking close, close.

So right now I'm leaning towards paying the console tax of $10 so as not to have to deal with this bullshit in DA2. I've always played RPGs on my PC, but come on.

Mad Chester
    Even on console you must log in to EA servers for online play or DLC. It can be a pain but at least you don't need a serial number. edit: check that, yes you do if want the free DLC your game comes with, as I just discovered with The Saboteur for PS3.