Thread: Dungeons of Dredmor - Graphical Roguelike-ish Awesomeness

Keeper of the Frop Bog How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by dbaum View Post
    Patch beta keys received today! Nicholas is now trying to figure out how to mail them out without having to do them all individually.

I don't think that's possible unless he writes some kind of script (I could be wrong of course). Maybe just copy/paste address, then copy/paste key in title line. No subject necessary if it doesn't need to be sent as a link. No need for a form letter then.

How To Go
    Mayberry, USA XBL:schaduwbeeld PSN:slow__hand
    Quote Originally Posted by Jape View Post
    found pretty much the perfect setup to win the game quickly.

basically all you need is alchemy, fire mage and burglary.

1. xp and train maxed alchemy, trap of exploding and ninja vanish
    2. create staff of fruit and couple of fire orbs for stat boost and mana regen.
    3. farm some fruit for unlimited mana
    4. win (when you get orbs and enough booze, you can skip rest of the levels and go kill dredmor)

you can dump rest of the skill points towards trap related skills (preception, archaelogy) and more mana regen (blood mage is very nice when clearing monster zoos with area effect spells). I'm sure teleport from mathemagic is nice, but its not needed because ninja vanish is pretty much the perfect screw you to monsters when playing a mage. Its always up and allows escape 100% of the time.
    I'd like to see more "builds" experiences. Trying something like this one, I find I have to be more careful early on than with some other builds.

Question: I summoned a mustached golem. My first experience with a pet. Kinda fun, but in Nethack there is a "swap places" key when the pet blocks your way. Is there such a key in DoD? Because I grabbed an egg, pet is behind me, now no way I see to get out!

EDIT: Pressing keys randomly to see if there was a swap places key, and discovered that F4 immediately quits your game with no save! Argh!!!

Social Worker
    Moving into your pet switches places with it (at least with WASD). Clicking it attacks it. Your chosen settings affect these behaviours, though.

How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarmo View Post
    Moving into your pet switches places with it (at least with WASD). Clicking it attacks it. Your chosen settings affect these behaviours, though.
    Ah - I have played mouse only. Didn't occur to me that keyboard would be different from mouse click in moving results.

How To Go
    OK - I'm still a relative newb, been moving so only sporadic play.

Anyway, playing a mage type, and people here have talked about maxing out Alchemy for a killer build. But I don't get yet the advantages of Alchemy. I've added points up to Mixologist, but I don't see what it has gained me - no new formulas, or any other new capabilities that I can see? What is the big advantage of maxing the Alchemy skill?

Also - people talk about getting the fruited staff - can you only find those? I don't see how I can make one.

Good Shape
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffL View Post
    OK - I'm still a relative newb, been moving so only sporadic play.

Anyway, playing a mage type, and people here have talked about maxing out Alchemy for a killer build. But I don't get yet the advantages of Alchemy. I've added points up to Mixologist, but I don't see what it has gained me - no new formulas, or any other new capabilities that I can see? What is the big advantage of maxing the Alchemy skill?

Also - people talk about getting the fruited staff - can you only find those? I don't see how I can make one.
    You don't need formulas to make things, just look it up in the wiki and punch it in. The fruitful staff is made using a Gnarled Staff, a plum, an apple, and a pear. It requires a maxed alchemy to craft.

Alchemy really shines when it's maxed and you can make the best Mage equipment, but it also helps you along the way by letting you stretch your fruit and alcohol, and giving you earlier access to some neat potions and mid-level equipment. I'd recommend putting one or two points in your Mage's spells so you can do some solid damage, and then just going straight for max alchemy.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by JordanP View Post
    Alchemy really shines when it's maxed and you can make the best Mage equipment.
    By which he means "reasonably decent mage equipment that you will replace by dungeon level 5 or so."

Social Worker
    Alchemy ... also helps you along the way by letting you stretch your fruit and alcohol
    To expand on this, on higher alchemy levels you extract more finished product from the same amount of ingredients. For example, one Rust and one Aqua Vitae get you one Potion of Healing on Alchemy level one, two potions on Alchemy level two and three potions on Alchemy level four.

The same goes for Distilling. On Alchemy level five you get three Hard Ciders from a single apple, three Applejacks from a single Hard Cider and two Aqua Vitaes from a single Applejack. So, one apple = 9 Applejacks or 18 Aqua Vitaes = 18 x 58 zorkmids = 1,044 zorkmids on Going Rogue. In practise this means near infinite money and mana regeneration potions with a Fruitful Staff (generates a fruit on every killing melee hit).

To make a Fruitful Staff you need Alchemy level five. It's very worthwhile to get there as soon as you can.

To make the industrial level distilling more palatable, always utilise the recipies and the Autofill button. Choosing e.g. the Hard Cider recipe lets you click the Autofill and Distill buttons repeatedly without needing to move the accumulating Hard Ciders from the finished products window. This saves you a ton of mouse clicks and drag-and-drops.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam B View Post
    By which he means "reasonably decent mage equipment that you will replace by dungeon level 5 or so."
    The Steeled Robe, yeah, but the orbs and staves you can make are good until the end unless you luck onto some random uniques which very well might not happen at all. In three playthroughs I haven't ever seen the best staff, for example. The best orbs I've seen plenty.

Also, when you can make good equipment it opens the door to some Krong enchantment gambling. You might not want to risk a unique piece but if Krong curses your Fruitful Staff, just make another! Make two and dual wield! It's a different game when you're a one-man factory of goodness.

You don't need formulas to make things, just look it up in the wiki and punch it in.
    Really? I thought I tried this and it didn't work unless you knew the recipe. At least you couldn't select the item you wanted if the source material was the same for multiple recipes.

Social Worker
    Not to be whiny or anything... but when is the patch due?

Broad Band
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam B View Post
    Well... Best equipment IF youre playing a fire mage. Those fire orbs allow you to walk in your own area effect spells without taking any damage. Which is kinda (read: very very) nice.

How To Go
    No wonder I suck so much, I just kept opening the alchemy kit and the distilling kit and seeing the same boring things and wondering, really? That's it?

Wonder what else I am missing out on!

Hustle
    I think it would be neater for the kits to only show what you can make at your level. Then when level up you would see new recipes, which would be a fun result for levelling up.

You can always cheat and look through a wiki to see the full list

Goodluck!!
    Patch 104 is going through beta testing and I'm working on fixing piles of stuff right now (gah, the balance! checking sfx and icon defs!). Nicholas should be getting himself in to the office soon, and we'll be doing another beta iteration for Tuesday, I think.

Anyone doing the patch beta, feel free to email us, use this Google doc spreadsheet (which is a good compilation of bugs anyway), or leave a message wherever; We'll see it.

So ... patch by the end of the week?

Social Worker
    Gosh, now I am all tingly and setting aside time end of the week (fingers crossed). Thanks!

Social Worker
    Yay, got my GR+PD victory in before the patch.

Promethean is hilarious for monster zoos, but Mathemagic is the real hax. Blood Magic is so damn convenient that I can't imagine playing a caster without either that or Alchemy for mana recovery.

Forum effect caused me to pick it up. After 8 hours in the game, I still like it very much and think that I just touched the surface of the game. There's so much to it.

My only question is why create a big Avatar when you can't visually dress him up? No matter what I wear, the Avatar doll remain the same.

Neo Acoustic
    It's Tuesday! HURRY UP AND RELEASE THE PATCH, STEAM!

Wesley Chapel, FL XBL:LivinItUp PSN:LivinItUpInPhx
    Quote Originally Posted by Squee View Post
    It's Tuesday! HURRY UP AND RELEASE THE PATCH, STEAM!
    I endorse this comment.

Neo Acoustic
    It patched! Hurray!

- Made acid traps marginally less deadly.
    Dang. If there's one thing I didn't need deadlier...

Social Worker
    Notes anywhere? I don't see 'em.

Goodluck!!
    Dredmor 104/105 patch notes can be found here: http://www.gaslampgames.com/blog/201...-up/#more-2267

They're actually not entirely comprehensive. There are a ton of small tweaks and adjustments especially to monsters and to many spells and skills that are not specifically noted. (I think we'll have to throw together a central changelog doc somewhere.)

Patch 1.05 Notes:

Edit: Nevermind. dbaum's got it covered.

Total badass of Dredmore Neo Acoustic
    Looks like I'm still waiting on fixes or redesign to the rest and healing system before I pick this up again.

Goodluck!!
    Boojum:
    Yeah, I'm sorry that it got booted to the next version. The patch was getting way too big so we had to draw an arbitrary line and launch what we had.

But! The start of resting revisions is in: there is a "digest" button in the lower left that runs through turns until your food/mana regen counters are used up. (Just don't use it when there are Diggles surrounding you.)

Social Worker
    Hooray! Thanks, dbaum.

Not sure if I'm going to spend much time with this version tbh; the next thing for me is to ascend a melee or a rogue-type or something since I rode the Blood Magic + Mathemagic train to GRPD victory earlier, and my irritation with melee early game on GR is probably not addressed. Ah well, I'm sure I'll poke around a bit anyway and look forward to upcoming patches.

Goodluck!!
    @Adam B:
    I've heard at least an anecdote that melee was much better. A couple important fixes help this point:

1. Warrior archetype stat calculation is fixed so Warriors get 4 hp per level rather than 2 hp per level. This does carry over to monsters that have warrior levels too, though they have been adjusted slightly to compensate for increased power.

2. Stat bonuses granted by skills should work correctly, both primary and secondary, including the melee power bonus from Smithing and Berserk as well as the counter increases from Dual Wield and Swords, for instance. These skills should be far more useful.

3. Heavy armour now has piercing resist and has generally been boosted in effectiveness. Warriors should die less easily.

Keeper of the Frop Bog How To Go
    Going warrior right now (all stats except one in warrior classification)... it's now MUCH easier.

Question though... the icon that looks like glowing embers... it's 4 tows of glowing red. What is that supposed to represent?