Thread: Sword of the Stars II (Or another 4X space game I will probably buy)

Social Worker
    The ship builder has a weapons test thingie, now thats fun...

I do like big guns with poor accuracy, oh so satisfying when they hit.

Last pic for a bit, but a really nice touch: The name of your ship (i.e. what you named the design) is actually displayed in-game. This is the "Fuxhal" class Morrigi cruiser:

Social Worker
    Pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
    Those are modules you use to fine tune your designs beyond choosing Sections. A Camel module isn't going to give you as much supply as the Supply section, but it'll increase your time-on-target. All modules cost money and construction so don't go crazy if you need a cheap ship built fast.

• Point Defense - Adds some small turrets
    • Camel - Adds Supply
    • Caravan - Adds Crew and a little Supply
    • Semper Fi - Adds Marines (boarding defense) and a little Supply
    • Hannibal - Adds an escape pod for your Admiral

I'm not too sure on the effect of the engine modules and there's more modules you unlock through researching techs.

Don't forget to check out your ship and try out some weapons in the Test Weapons screen.
    Oh crap. I'm never going to get out of the design screen at this rate (I have a love for tinkering with designs like this).

How do I fire a weapon in the weapons test screen?

Account closed Pillow Talk
    If anyone goes back and checks the various previews done by many a website on Sots2 you will find in the comments section myself warning people not to buy this product till a month or two after release. EVERY single Kerberos product has been released early, buggy and usually lacking major features. The patches that followed were likewise poorly tested. The cycle has repeated over and over again with this company. What is the old saying "If you dont learn from history...".

If you have bought the product and are upset please direct your ire to people like Rorschach who have known the condition of the game for likely a good number of weeks and didnt forewarn anyone or act to change kerberos' testing behavior when it became clear a Fort Zombie like release was rising again.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
    How do I fire a weapon in the weapons test screen?
    L-click on the ship to select. L-click on the target to fire.

Ahh, der, okay. Don't know why it wasn't working before. I'm going sufficient amounts of pewpew now.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Evrett View Post
    If you have bought the product and are upset please direct your ire to people like Rorschach who have known the condition of the game for likely a good number of weeks and didnt forewarn anyone or act to change kerberos' testing behavior when it became clear a Fort Zombie like release was rising again.
    Hi Evrett. Nice to see you're still on your personal crusade to attack Kerberos every chance you get. Welcome!

He's been under NDA, douche.

Also, welcome to the forums.

Social Worker
    If anyone goes back and checks the various previews done by many a website on Sots2 you will find in the comments section myself warning people not to buy this product till a month or two after release. EVERY single Kerberos product has been released early, buggy and usually lacking major features. The patches that followed were likewise poorly tested. The cycle has repeated over and over again with this company. What is the old saying "If you dont learn from history...".

That's a nice first post on this forums sir, but you have to remember there is something called NDA.

New Romantic
    I would totally buy a strategy guide for this game.

How To Go
    So anyone actually play the game yet, or are you all dicking about with the build-a-bear screen?

(in other words, get your asses in gear and give this game a grade of shit/not shit PRONTO)

Quote Originally Posted by Aeon221 View Post
    So anyone actually play the game yet, or are you all dicking about with the build-a-bear screen?
    Build-a-bear for me, sorry man. I'm flipping through the different races looking at the starter Armor cruiser.

Morrigi seem devastating on frontal approach. The form factor of their ship means it's a very sleek profile, and the amount of guns it can bring to bear on the forward arc is crazy.

Hiver on the other hand look pretty anemic on fore/aft, but holy god those broadsides look devastating. If one of those gets under or above one of my cruisers I can imagine that wall of cannons to rip me to shreds in short order.

I'll be getting to the game soon enough, but this design stuff is cool as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
    Hi Evrett. Nice to see you're still on your personal crusade to attack Kerberos every chance you get. Welcome!
    I just want whats best for the game Rors. Always nice to see you putting your social status with the devs above the welfare of your fellow gamers and the game itself.

If I cared about the game and the community I was a part of I'd piss on that NDA, inform the community at large and hope others step up to prevent a poor release and customers feeling swindled into paying to beta test.

That would be the responsible thing to do.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeon221 View Post
    I recommend patience, the switch got thrown on a beta build. You want to wait a little bit for the release version to be provided.

How To Go
    Right, it's responsible to break an agreement that you made with a company over a game. Got it, thanks for the clarification.

How To Go
    Time zone: PDT / BattleTag: RepoMan#1825 / XBLA: Rodeolio / Steam: RepoManFTW
    I'm betting it's not shit just because Evrett is such an asshole.

Proof, quoted for posterity:

If I cared about the game and the community I was a part of I'd piss on that NDA....
    Um, yep, that makes sense alright, yep. Caring about game = breaking NDA, yep. Gaaaaah, fuck off you fucking troll.

Social Worker
    If I cared about the game and the community I was a part of I'd piss on that NDA

Yeah i'm sure you would.

Evrett, if you have a crusade against Rorschach, feel free to take it to PM and write a Very Angry Letter. Trust me, if you're worried that Qt3 may not find out a game is buggy/bad at release, you can look up the Elemental thread. I appreciate your concern, but we've got "bitching about shitty game launches" pretty well covered in this corner of the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorini View Post
    Right, it's responsible to break an agreement that you made with a company over a game. Got it, thanks for the clarification.
    That company is selling the customer half the product they already paid for without any forewarning of its condition. And they've likely been planning to do it for a couple week or more. Obviously breaking ones agreement isnt the greatest choice but its better than sitting silent and doing nothing while history repeats itself and fellow gamers have their wallets raped.

How To Go
    Time zone: PDT / BattleTag: RepoMan#1825 / XBLA: Rodeolio / Steam: RepoManFTW
    Any gamer who buys something on day one, without waiting for NDAs and review embargoes to expire, is taking their life (I mean money) in their own hands. Everyone fucking knows that. If the game is shit, the reviews will say so any minute now. Your self-righteous "I know better than all those scumsucking NDA-bound people" schtick is fucking irritating as hell already, and is going to get rapidly worse.

Quit now while you still have a chance to salvage your Qt3 reputation by shutting the fuck up post-haste.

Or, you know, actually post some real criticisms of the actual game and gameplay instead of slinging bullshit generalizations and personal insults.

Rorschach, got another question. I notice in the Build Order screen, there are more ship categories than I was expecting. I see Cruiser, Dreadnaught, Leviathan, Battle Riders... which I expected. But what are Battle Cruisers and Battleships??

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
    Rorschach, got another question. I notice in the Build Order screen, there are more ship categories than I was expecting. I see Cruiser, Dreadnaught, Leviathan, Battle Riders... which I expected. But what are Battle Cruisers and Battleships??
    Battle* are ships without FTL capability for either in system-defence or are carried to other systems. Battleriders are destroyer sized, carried by cruisers or larger. Battlecruisers are cruiser sized, carried by dreanoughts or bigger. Battleships are dreadnought sized carried by leviathans.

How To Go
    Stop being build-a-bears, this game looks dull/interesting. I can't decide. So play it and find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorschach
    I recommend patience, the switch got thrown on a beta build. You want to wait a little bit for the release version to be provided.
    No I don't. If the game doesn't suck, it won't suck in the beta version. And if it does suck, it'll suck on the release version. I'm fairly confident it will suck, but I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt.

That company is selling the customer half the product they already paid for without any forewarning of its condition. Obviously breaking ones agreement isnt the greatest choice but its better than sitting silent and doing nothing while history repeats itself and fellow gamers have their wallets raped.
    Fuck off and die in a pile of shit, you sperm guzzling wanker. If I want to waste my money on this or another shitty product what the fuck business is it of yours? Especially when all you are doing is tossing shitty posts about the thread and generally being a HUGE WHINING DOUCHENOZZLE.

Go elsewhere to somewhere with people who can summon up the urge to give two fucks about your posting -- well, except when it provides an entirely excellent opportunity to spout off with a bit of rage. I was entertained by that, even though I think I'll put you on ignore henceforth.

New Romantic
    I just want whats best for the game Rors. Always nice to see you putting your social status with the devs above the welfare of your fellow gamers and the game itself.

If I cared about the game and the community I was a part of I'd piss on that NDA, inform the community at large and hope others step up to prevent a poor release and customers feeling swindled into paying to beta test.

That would be the responsible thing to do.
    You really have no idea what forums you are on, do ya buddy?

How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by McKnight View Post
    You really have no idea what forums you are on, do ya buddy?
    The forum where I can't make him go away by posting elderly shemales gangbanging one another in a pile of elephant poo?

Wah.

New Romantic
    Hahaha, if only :)

Social Worker
    Aeon, if you can put that much time into AGOT: Genesis, do you really think you're going to hate SOTS 2.

How To Go
    Well I booted it up, and aside from the fact that it booted in windowed mode, I didn't see anything wrong with it. I started a game and the menus seemed to work. I didn't do a battle though. I clearly need to read the manual too.

Social Worker
    Lets fighting, and more tidbits about the game, both good and bad plx.

I am ramping up for a run now, finally gotten some time :)