Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: AMC's "Hell on Wheels"

New Romantic
    Portland, OR GamerTag/GWFL: FreshQu33blets
    Yeah, that just bites. Plus she was too hot to die.

New Romantic
    I'll cross post this, since more people watch this here:

Hey show. HEY! You look at me when I'm talking to you.

Fuck you, fuck your whole family, and, most particularly of all, FUCK YOU AGAIN. I hope you get ass herpes. That was wasteful and unnecessary and made me very angry.

Maybe I'll look back tomorrow and appreciate how good you were, but right now...super mad.

Edit: So, it's the next day. Still mad.

Spoiler: Finale Events
    There are two pairings that I really like on this show. Common and Anson Mount (who had another great scene together) and Dominique McElligot and Anson Mount. Now you've spent one of them, and for what? I was already mad at Chris Heyerdahl, who I think we're supposed to also assume at this point is dead, but they could go back and make him be alive. I already decided that he had to go. What did you achieve, show, by getting rid of McElligot? That was manipulative and pointless and mean, and I'm still very cross with you about that.

I'm also beginning to feel a little concerned that this show might be doing the Sleeper Cell thing to me, because I'm starting to get that bloodlust sort of feeling for Native Americans, and that's not cool. I'll be back if there's more, but if the Sioux continue to be nothing more than a savage, brutal, basically evil body of violence, I might have to be out because I don't like when shows start to make me feel like they're stoking me up for a hate crime. Hell - even Sleeper Cell had both Muslims and Arabs who weren't trying to murder innocent people. Thus far we've met precisely one Native American who doesn't want to murder, rape, and pillage, and he's an ineffectual character that I can't imagine ever actually developing any authentic affection for.

Social Worker
    The major theme of this show is "Bohannon can't have nice things."

NNNNNNNooooooooOOOOOoooOOOoooOOOOooo....

(still in shock about McHottiePants)

NoooOOOOOOOOOOoooooOOOooooooOOOOOoo...

Wow , so Mr Toole, The Swede, and McHottiePants...

Freaking Swede didn't even give Bohannan the pleasure of hanging him. BASTARD.

Crazy season finale. Sooo the bit at the end with the red flag, what was that about?

Social Worker
    I don't think the Swede is going to be dead. But we'll have to wait and see...

I believe the red flag marks the point where the guy driving a train needs to apply brakes because the track ahead isn't complete. The significance of the scene is that he's putting up a red flag on the other side of the bridge, meaning that the bridge is complete and safe.

NNNNNnnnnoooooOOOOOooooOOOooooooo....

Goddamit! Where are my Colt Navies when I need them? I got me some great vengeance and furious anger to work out upon the Powers That Be in Hell on Wheels...

Resolution by carnage. Sean gets so creepy that I'm on Frigid Holyroller's side. Joseph says - I've been written out of the show, but I'm back just so that the Indian raid gets foreshadowed! Toole says - the gods are cruel, but whether he means the Biblical God or the writers of the show, I'm not sure. Though it was pretty obvious that they were going to resolve that particular triangle by somebody dying. Swede says - I've become an expository device and thus immune to any ramifications from my actions. Heck, I'll probably survive a fall no one possibly could into too shallow water with my hands tied just to make sure I'll drown, not to mention Bohannon would see if I put my head above water for ,oh, maybe ten miles and just get on his horse and come down and kill me. If Bohannon can can escape the noose by a wave of the hand, and Durant can survive a sure death-by-peritonitis gut-shot, what's a little fall?

The whole Elam and McHottiePants was the high point. Death staring you in the face and she doesn't blink and turns the tables entirely. Wow! Great scene.

And then they piss the moment away! The perpetually determined McHottiePants doesn't pull the trigger again (wonderful thing about revolvers is that if you get a misfire, you don't have to clear the action, you just pull the trigger again - or thumb the hammer back again with a single action in this particular case). Or pistol whip him. Or use that hold-out that you just balked Elam with in the previously mentioned scene. She just kind of gives up. And not that killing McHottie makes a whole lot of sense within FrankenNorse's motivations, since she was like the one person who stood up for him. The only thing left for Bohannon to do is rain death and destruction on all the rat bastards who are making his life hell. And he is going to ignore all that and continue to build the railroad? With McHottiePants gone? Assuming that it even gets renewed for another season?

Colt Navies, hell! Get me my Gatling gun!

New Romantic
    I thought it was a good season finale. While I will miss McHottiePants, her death does give Bohanan something he sorely lacked, motivation. He knew that her one real desire was to finish the railroad, and finish it with him. He's going to do it now for her, and he's not going to do it from the back of a train car like Durant, but in his own special stare everyone down until they do what he wants or just fucking shoot them totally bad-ass way. That should be enjoyable.

We've also now been rid (hopefully) of The Swede, The Preacher and Mr. Toole, which means the door is open for some new foils for our heroes. Will Durant somehow crawl out from under the mess he's in and come back to challenge Bohanan for control of the railroad, or perhaps Mrs. Bohanan will take that role, trying by guile or force to take back the railroad after her charms fail to sway Bohanan to share.

The Irish brothers will play some role. I suspect Sean will continue to let his blue balls drive him insane. The guy is half-owner of the whorehouse, you'd think he would get that shit taken care of so he could see the full crazy of his girlfriend in the light of day. Will Mr. Ferguson and Tattoo rebuild the little house on the prairie? Will Tattoo's baby surprise everyone by being born Asian? (maybe save that for the Season Three finale)

Can't wait to find out!

New Romantic
    Yeah, Sean was all "I've renounced my faith and now will burn in hell for eternity, and she STILL won't f*ck me, WTF?"

So the show hasn't been renewed? Not surprising since they killed off the female lead.

New Romantic
    AMC hasn't been renewing shows early (with the exception of Walking Dead, which is a no-brainer) since The Killing backfired on them. Expect news in the next month or so while they weigh out their slate. Hell on Wheels is useful for AMC's overall strategy, which is to use its original series to drive viewership of its movies - Mad Men gets them their classics marathons, Breaking Bad opens for crime and gangster shows, Walking Dead leads horror marathons, and Hell on Wheels is their path to Western marathons. That argues strongly in its favor, since there isn't anything else on their slate at this point of which I am aware that would fit the bill (though maybe if this adaptation of The 6th Gun that Carlton Cuse signed on for doesn't work out for NBC as a network, that might be a good replacement).

McElligott's departure is ultimately not really going to be of too much consequence to the show, outside of the fact that her + Toole + the entire town burning down gives them a natural place to jump out if they want to. There's not a whole lot of dangling threads to unravel at this point. It's spiteful and mean and (worst of all) unearned, which may hurt their retention from season to season, but the network won't know that until they pull the trigger.

Was very sad when The Swede murdered you-know-who.

He made me laugh, though, when he did the bridge trick. My dog does that to me every time I leash him up before acquiring a good hold on the other end.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by lordkosc View Post
    Was all set to do the happy dance until I saw the article also mentioned the show's two creators were stepping down. I fear what that could mean for the quality and content of the show. I really like the way the show is put together now, and someone new coming in and trying to remake it in their ideal of what a "Western Drama" should be could seriously impact my enjoyment.

That said, I'm glad we'll get to see what happens thanks to the renewal.

Quote Originally Posted by Slainte Mhath View Post
    ...the show's two creators were stepping down.
    McHottiePants is Avenged!

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by corsair View Post
    McHottiePants is Avenged!
    LOL! The article does mention that they have a show idea that was picked up by NBC, so maybe they'll ask McHottiePants to come along for the ride and star in that vehicle?

I do like Hell On Wheels enough that I'd be willing to watch whatever these guys have cooking at NBC, provided it's not another hospital-based soap drama thing or a procedural crime show. Although a procedural crime show set in the mid-1800's could work for me...

I would kill for a CSI style show set in Mayberry.

Happy to hear Hell on Wheels is returning though!

Yeah, in all my ravings about McHottiePants, I'll still watch the next season without a doubt. In the wasteland of procedurals and doctor dramas, I enjoy a western with a budget. Some very good characters and situations.

Interwebs have told me, the casting calls are starting for Season 3.

:D

NNNNNNNooooooooOOOOOoooOOOoooOOOOooo....

(still in shock about McHottiePants)

NoooOOOOOOOOOOoooooOOOooooooOOOOOoo...

Oh...new season, but they are dragging their asses? And they don't even have the courtesy to revive McHottiePants? Back to mourning - wake me up when the new season actually starts.....

NOOOOOOooooOOooooo....

Oh yes!

New Romantic
    Between this and the last episodes of Breaking Bad, I'm going to be in hog heaven.

I wonder who they got to replace McHottiePants?

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by lordkosc View Post
    I wonder who they got to replace McHottiePants?
    Please, a little respect for the dead. Use her full name, Blondie McHottiePants.

Hope it's Redhead McHottiePants

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat View Post
    Redhead Jennifer Ferrin, as the reporter covering the story of the transcontinental railway.

Sorry, if it ain't Blondie McHottiePants, it just isn't the same thing. Besides, as we all know, Bohannon Can't Have Nice Things. It wouldn't be Hell, otherwise.

And the cast in general, back are:

McCreepy and McDrunk, the Irish boys
    TattooChinGirl
    Mr. Rapacious Industrialist
    Mrs. Rapacious Industrialist
    Frigid HolyRoller

And, of course UpwardlyMobile and Revengeless Rebel.

Gone are FrankenNorse (die, Motherfucker! No cheap ass comic book return for you!) (I'm just bitter about McHottiePants - liked Heyerdahl)
    Blondie McHottiePants (there is no god!)
    Token Indian
    Reverend HolyRoller

Yes, mea culpa, I like the whole archtype names gimmick. I do this on the various Survivor threads I start all the time.
    Last edited by corsair; 07-19-2013 at 11:21 AM.

I rather liked the Indian character. He was a fantastic device for bridging the old world of the natives with the new world of the interlopers from the East. I can't remember offhand though, did they kill him in the last episode of the previous season?

New Romantic
    What??? No FrankenNorse? He was on Falling Skies last weekend--now I wonder if that was a one-off.

Joseph Black Moon road off before the Apocalypse started as I recall it. Not sure I could endure two uncomfortable non-relationships with Frigid HolyRoller. I'd rather see a purer Indian perspective (his father, Chief Many Horses, for example) but Joseph was better than nothing (which is to say I hope there will be something).

New Romantic
    Man, I cannot wait for this to come back. Saturday nights too, which during fall I usually spend crashed on my couch after a long day of kid's sports and lawn/home maintenance. PERFECT!

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat View Post
    No pants, yet....

ALSO , bottled water in the old west! I knew it!