Page 65 of 68 FirstFirst ... 154647484950515253545556575859606162636465666768 LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,950 of 2036

Thread: RAGE - New thread for the id game

How To Go
    Finished it just now on easy in 9 hours. Sorely disappointing and underwhelming. Wish Bethesda would use something that looked this good for a Fallout game.

Although the bump-mapped textures and the space-marine-alike protagonist made the game look like a Prey sequel.

PRO: Better than DNF
    CON: Worse than Borderlands or Fallout 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Is that good/bad?
    More on the bad side, it's a five year development launched on three platforms with a good marketing campaign. They were supposed to sell three times more.

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by rei View Post
    Finished it just now on easy in 9 hours. Sorely disappointing and underwhelming. Wish Bethesda would use something that looked this good for a Fallout game.

Although the bump-mapped textures and the space-marine-alike protagonist made the game look like a Prey sequel.

PRO: Better than DNF
    CON: Worse than Borderlands or Fallout 3.
    It's not a long game to be sure, but the only way you finished it in 9 hours was by skipping stuff.

The weirdest point to me is that he says he played it on easy. WTF, the game is too easy on very hard and nightmare, and he goes and play it on Easy??

Neo Acoustic
    I'm starting Rage today, and I'm pretty excited, mostly because I want to see whether or not it looks as good as everyone says it will on my 360.

How To Go
    Bah. "Skipping stuff" and playing on easy is perfectly fine since I was in a rush to start Skyrim and the skipped stuff was pointless, meaningless padding in the form of side quests.

Social Worker
    Also new AMD preview drivers for the upcoming Rage patch:

- Resolves some new texture corruption issues introduced by the latest version of the game
    - Improved performance ~5%
    - Smoother game play and reduces multicore sync points
    - Fixed mapbuffer failures when switching maps on 32-bit systems.
    - Fixed a game crash when switching maps back and forth on 32 and 64bit systems

15 USD on Steam today, which is actually not bad for this. No doubt it'll be 2.99 next year, but still.

World's End Supernova Brian Rubin's Avatar
    I'll wait until next year then. ;) Looks fun though.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    15 USD on Steam today, which is actually not bad for this. No doubt it'll be 2.99 next year, but still.

33 USD on Europe. :/

BTW, months after, they still haven't released any mod tools. Disappointing.

New Romantic
    I got it for $60 and I don't regret it at all. If you like the type of game id typically makes, this is well worth $15.

Grabbed it today given the awesome sale price. I loved Fallout 3...and it seems this will be similar but with a somewhat linear story and more FPS than RPG. Oh, and vehicles!

Also, am I seeing a 21GB DL?

Mad Chester
    I bought it on the cheap during the holiday steam sale -- I really liked it while playing it! It unfortunately ended a lot sooner than I anticipated, I figured I was a little more than halfway through.

To add insult to injury, there is a maximum number of saves I had exceeded... so I had been overwriting the last save game spot for a while. My most recent save is therefore in the middle of the last mission, and the next one prior is multiple hours of game time in the past. There is no new game+ or going back to town after the game ends, so I never got to exhaustively explore/collect everything.

That said, they clearly were planning significant DLC which will never come. The DLC tab on the main menu remains tragically empty. ( I would have bought it!)
    Last edited by beloved one; 02-09-2012 at 08:23 PM.

Neo Acoustic
    I've been working my way through my Steam Holiday Sale games, and Rage was next up. I wanted to wait until I had finished to post my thoughts and I just did not five minutes ago, so here they are!

Steam says I played for 15 hours and the game tells me 11:30, so somewhere in between those two I imagine. I did pretty much every sidequest that I could (I know I missed two), but I didn't bother too much with racing unless I felt like I needed to upgrade my ride. I think 12 hours or so is pretty good for a shooter these days, and I never felt like things were dragging or padded out.

Performance-wise, it was smooth and I never had a crash. I understand ATI cards might still have problems, but Nvidia works great.

I played on "hard" difficulty and I felt like that was just right. I never waltzed through any fights, but I never felt like things were just unfair either. I died a handful of times, and probably died died just two or three.

All in all, I thought it was a fun little post-apocalyptic romp. The story is nothing too original or engrossing, but it does the job. Outside of the opening "Hey you just thawed out five minutes ago, here's a gun, go kill two dozen bandits," it never strays too far outside of its own internal logic. And even that head-scratcher does get somewhat explained--you're an Ark survivor, Ark survivors were hand-picked, Dan Hagar knew that, etc.

If the setting itself is a little generic, what id's artists did with the actual world-building is just gorgeous. The level of detail in every little location is incredible. And the environments! I know the game caught a lot of flak for its low-res textures and I'll be honest, I spent some time tweaking .ini files and trying to squeeze a little bit more detail out of them myself. But that blurry stuff is mostly close-up, and it didn't bother me if I was actually playing the game and not fixating on it. The middle and far distances though, man--like matte paintings. Concept art. I had to stop every once in while and just look around. That megatexture tech can be pretty spectacular.

Combat was terrific. Nobody does shooting men with guns like id, and they're in top form here. Each weapon has its own personality and the only one I felt was a little redundant was the assault rifle, once I picked up an Authority MG. I had my favorites, but the variety of ammo for each gun kept me using all of them throughout the game.

Enemy design was good. A couple of the bandit gangs were sort of samey, but mostly they all had their different styles and approaches to combat. I never got tired of fighting swarms of mutants with my trusty spiderbot, wingsticks, and a shotgun. Oddly enough, I thought the fearsome Authority could have been a lot tougher--the Gearheads, for example, gave me a lot more trouble. Animations across the board were great. I loved/hated how mutants and certain bandits could dodge my fire and get in close. Even after I knew they were going to bob and weave, they could still pull it off--I shoot high, mutant ducks, I aim low, mutant jumps up and bounds off a wall, I aim for center mass and it spins to the side and smacks me with a club. Sure, it's enemies-running-towards-you AI, but at least it's interesting! And the death animations were some of the best in my recent memory. They were a mix of ragdolls and canned animations that came off really natural. A bandit might run towards you, get shot, drop his rifle and stagger a few steps clutching at his chest and then trip forwards into a heap. Fun!

NPC design was great all-around. Even the mostly-(or entirely-)static ones were well-voiced and memorable.

The RPG mechanics were tacked on and a little half-hearted. I did upgrade all my weapons, build (and use) all sorts of toys, and upgrade my cars. But that stuff all felt like it was included because it was expected, not because id was particularly interested in any of it.

Rage is a bit of an odd duck. Fallout 3 (and New Vegas) did exploration and roleplaying in a post-apocalyptic wasteland better for sure, but it can't hold a candle to Rage's gunplay--which is shame, since you spend so much time shooting things. It's sort of like a more stern-faced Borderlands, but with better NPCs.

All in all, it's a solid shooter with memorable characters, some great set-pieces, and some terrific environments (The Dead City! Jackal Canyon!). Like RobotPants said, if you like the type of game id makes then this is a no-brainer. I think it's unfortunate that it got such bad press when it was released (performance issues, ATI driver problems, omg blurry textures wtf), because while those may have been legitimate complaints, they kind of overshadowed what really is a solid, fun game. I would buy a sequel, but I don't think that's very likely.
    Last edited by Two Sheds; 02-19-2012 at 10:03 PM.

I finished it a couple of weeks ago and felt much the same. The only part about the art I did nt like were the goofy headgear some of the NPCs wore but that's nit picking and the most important part of the game (shooting) was superb. I wouldn't mind some more arena type gameplay.

id were always accused of putting out tech demos meant to sold their engine. I wonder if Rage was meant to finance a new engine for Bethseda's next title. I wouldn't mind FO4 having Rage's shooting mechanics.

Social Worker
    Yep I agree with Two Seeds. As usual, id nailed the mechanics, and give you a shotgun worth a damn (an Achievement in my book), made a very pretty world, have a few great places to run around in...but somehow still falls flat. Part of it is the game cannot decide if it is an open world or rail shooter. So they mixed the two and ended up with a lesser of both genres.
    One very simple reason...no deathmatch. sounds silly, but after running around with the feel that game..I wanted to shoot my friend in the face...or run over him.
    The story is terrible...like laughable terrible. I really would love id to pick up a true design director, who is NOT from the Dallas games inner circle.
    But maybe this is the end. Maybe id will just build engine tech for now on.
    I hope not, I'm sill waiting for Doom III. (joke there...)

I thought the game looked fine on the 360. The racing bits weren't too bad except for the billion rally races they stick in there which are just stupid and cheap. You just memorize spawn patterns of the lighted tag spots to win.

The ending....how can you finish this game and not mention the horrible horrible huge let down of a non ending this game had. It's as if id just said lets call it quits and ship it and phoned in the entire last encounter and ending.

I'm playing this and it's a fun ride (literally sometimes). I got it during the last Steam sale, and would have paid full price knowing what I know now.

I actually appreciate games on rails given the backlog I have. I was all over the place in Fallout 3, and actually had to just stop playing so I could get to other games.

Social Worker
    Wow, seems a bit late to bring out DLC for that one. I figured they put the kabosh on any new content for Rage ages ago. If it comes to light and is any good, I'll be sure to stick it on my wishlist for a future steam sale.

Given the problems in the pc version at release, and mediocre post-release support, they are going to offer it for the nice price of $0.00 (or close) to recover some faith of the community.

It releases today? The PEGI page says 6/14/2012.

I doubt the release dates of unreleased games are trustworthy. At least not more than a date in Amazon.

But PEGI is the official age classification system in Europe, game companies have to send their games to the PEGI agency to receive the classification, it's not the first time a PEGI search have discovered stuff before official announcements.

Mmm
    http://rage.wikia.com/wiki/Scorchers
    The big part of the following information concerns the content that was cut from the released game.
    This faction was probably cut (though not entirely) in the final version of the game due to time constraints and/or budget because the Prima Official Game Guide and various websites describe them in detail much like the other five bandit clans.

World's End Supernova
    First we need to know if they're a bullet sponge faction.

World's End Supernova
    Honestly, I have a hard time believing that's legit. More likely it is a mistake wherein the Pegi website never removed a file created for a since suspended or cancelled planned DLC. Now its showing up because the "release date" on the file has arrived.

Its far too late for Bethesda to think there is any value in a Rage DLC after months and months of saying nothing.

World's End Supernova
    You're probably right. The date thing supports that.

How To Go
    Time zone: PDT / BattleTag: RepoMan#1825 / XBLA: Rodeolio / Steam: RepoManFTW
    I haven't bought Rage yet, but if the summer Steam sale has it for $10 or less, I'll bite. What price would you bite at, if you don't have it already?

I liked it, but mainly for the weapons and shooty parts, which were pretty standard id design - you already know if that's your thing. Didn't care for the coonnective story, characters or driving sections too much. But on balance, yeah I'd say it's absolutely worth ten bucks.