Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hype Begin! Abrams and Alcatraz and Effin' Hurley

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by Razgon View Post
    How reliable are those Tvbythenumbers guys? According to them, Alcatraz is likely to be cancelled which I find to be a shame.
    It's 14% down (source) year to year from a show that was cancelled (The Chicago Code), so ... very likely.

Broad Band
    Quote Originally Posted by Razgon View Post
    The worst part for me, without knowing anything about the business, but the fact that JJ Abrams has another show on the way, makes it seem as if he really doesn't care anymore, and just wants to move on.
    I'm not sure JJ does a lot of work on these shows. It's not possible for anyone to direct movies and work closely on multiple shows at the same time. His company produces the shows and he certainly helps direct the overall feel of them, but the day to day stuff is almost certainly left to other people, which leaves him free to do movies.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Seiler View Post
    Well, okay - there is one problem. If you're going to do a romantic interest, do a frigging romantic interest. Don't pussyfoot around with it. It'd also be nice if the romantic interest weren't the medical examiner for a change, but I guess that's just one of those weird meta themes that pops up from time to time in Hollywood. As one of the worst shippers you'll ever meet, I'm personally more inclined to like Nancy Drew with Hurley anyway, but I'll give them some rope.
    What I'd like to see is those two women somehow becoming rivals for Hurley's affection. He's hoping for some kind of nerd girl competition to break out between them, but the women each make the mistake of thinking he's more into their jobs. So the detective keeps grossing him out with pointing out all her discoveries on the bodies at the crime scene, while the medical examiner points out all her finds on the autopsied corpses. Meanwhile he's torn between wanting to puke and having the weirdest bo...no I won't go there.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Supper's Ready View Post
    It's 14% down (source) year to year from a show that was cancelled (The Chicago Code), so ... very likely.
    I liked Chicago Code a lot more than Alcatraz (although neither were awesome). There's nothing terribly special about Alcatraz that would have me lament its passing.

Fringe on the other hand...

New Romantic
    Portland, OR GamerTag/GWFL: FreshQu33blets
    I really liked Chicago Code, and not just because of the über-MILFy Jennifer Beals (rowr).

Yep they are getting barely 6 million views an episode, and its still dropping.

I enjoy the show, but I won't miss it if its gone.

I will miss Fringe , so thats not allowed to be canceled.

New Romantic
    Looking at the numbers for Alcatraz in its current spot is probably not a terribly informative exercise, as it's unlikely to be renewed there in any event. If I had to guess, I'd say that spot will probably end up going to the Ali Larter pilot because it's the closest thing to 24 they've currently got in the can. Alcatraz is a Friday show if ever there was one.

All that said, it's probably too early to talk about renewal, particularly with a Terra Nova pickup still being conspicuously absent (and they're starting to bump up against some production schedule constraints if they're angling for Fall). A lot will depend on how the pilot slate does.

Cancelled. I've got it on my dvr, but I think I'll pass and just delete the episodes. Not gonna invest the time into an immediate failure.

New Romantic
    Errrrrrr.....link? Or were you meaning to go to the Terra Nova thread. Because Terra Nova was totally cancelled, but I can find no such news on the internet with respect to Alcatraz. Not even on Deadline.

New Romantic
    The first of the two episodes last night was actually pretty good. It's probably my favorite episode of the show to date, as it had a decent backstory, some good dialog and shed a little more light on some of the "mystery". Ironically, it was also probably the cheapest episode to make to date since it mainly centered around 6 characters in an otherwise empty Alactraz setting.

The second episode honestly wasn't bad either. At least this time we had a criminal who wasn't out to commit mass murder (though he did work his way up to a fair body count by the end) and who's motivations were pretty clear and understandable. Maybe it's a good sign for the show that these most recent episodes are improving? Probably too late in the ratings game to save the show now though.

New Romantic
    "Save the show" is selling it a little bit short. Ratings week to week have leveled off at this point and while it's not a monster hit, there are arguments that can be made to keep it. I did quite enjoy the bottle episode at the beginning, and I think that they've learned the right lessons from Lost about how to fart out little lore hints on a gradual basis (as opposed to the FlashForward/The Event approach of just whipping your mystery dick out and slapping it on the table).

Colloidal silver pissed me off a little, though. That was annoying, but probably only for, like, me.

I probably wouldn't sign any "save the show" petition. I'm still watching it, but Alcatraz just isn't very good.

Quote Originally Posted by stusser View Post
    I probably wouldn't sign any "save the show" petition. I'm still watching it, but Alcatraz just isn't very good.
    This is where I'm at too. Part of me hopes it does get cancelled, because my wife and son are still into it and keep watching it, though I'm bored every time it's on. I feel I should stick it out, as it was my idea to start watching it though. Sigh.

New Romantic
    See, "Awake" also is immensely better than Alcatraz. Awake is like the blend of this and Fringe. It has both the procedural and the two universes.

Alcatraz makes a horrible procedural and crams mystery to the last minute of each episode.

Fringe moves slowly and is getting anticlimactic and doing a spin like LOST, ending in sloppy melodrama.

Awake instead is making a very good procedural that SOAKS into the mystery, all the while doing the drama in a realistic and effective way.

You Americans better watch this (Awake) show, because I do not want to see it canceled. It's way too ambitious and competent. Please recognize the masterpiece from the garbage.

P.S.
    Hell on Wheels remains the best thing on TV this year.

I enjoyed Awake, but only saw the first episode so far. Not sure how they'll spin it into a full series. Fringe is a great show, but you're right that this season is weak. Alcatraz, pfft, if it gets canceled I'll shrug and delete the season pass.

Quote Originally Posted by HRose View Post
    Awake instead is making a very good procedural that SOAKS into the mystery, all the while doing the drama in a realistic and effective way.

You Americans better watch this (Awake) show, because I do not want to see it canceled. It's way too ambitious and competent. Please recognize the masterpiece from the garbage.
    Awake is fantastic. I gushed about it in the main thread.

I disagree that it's a good procedural, however. When half the mystery is solved by "these clues are sort of the same in my other life" I tend to think the policework is secondary to the other story.

New Romantic
    Portland, OR GamerTag/GWFL: FreshQu33blets
    See, "Awake" also is immensely better than Alcatraz. Awake is like the blend of this and Fringe. It has both the procedural and the two universes.

[...]

I really enjoyed the first episode of Awake (BTW, is it sticking to the 10 PM Thursdays timeslot?), and do hope it gets an audience, but when a substantial proportion of the American viewing public would rather watch the tired CSI franchise or some garbage reality show instead of something like the awesome action-comedy series The Good Guys or the tight, well-acted Chicago Code (yeah I'm still pissed), I don't hold out much hope. Too many bovines masquerading as humans out there, with bovine tastes.

And re: Hell on Wheels, I second that emotion.

New Romantic
    Excepting only Game of Thrones I would agree. I loved Hell on Wheels.

New Romantic

Alcatraz makes a horrible procedural and crams mystery to the last minute of each episode.

Fringe moves slowly and is getting anticlimactic and doing a spin like LOST, ending in sloppy melodrama.

P.S.
    The premise of Awake doesn't really interest me, and Awake doesn't have anyone I find as cute as Sarah Jones on Alcatraz. Plus Awake has Wilmer Valderrama, and I hate that guy. Sorry.

Good Shape
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Seiler View Post
    "Save the show" is selling it a little bit short. Ratings week to week have leveled off at this point and while it's not a monster hit, there are arguments that can be made to keep it. I did quite enjoy the bottle episode at the beginning, and I think that they've learned the right lessons from Lost about how to fart out little lore hints on a gradual basis (as opposed to the FlashForward/The Event approach of just whipping your mystery dick out and slapping it on the table).

Colloidal silver pissed me off a little, though. That was annoying, but probably only for, like, me.
    Arguments such as? Fox most likely won't renew a drama this young to ship off to Fridays and they have a very limited number of prime time slots to fill, so I'm not seeing how something that can't even get a 2.0 last night gets renewed.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by velouria View Post
    Arguments such as? Fox most likely won't renew a drama this young to ship off to Fridays and they have a very limited number of prime time slots to fill, so I'm not seeing how something that can't even get a 2.0 last night gets renewed.
    1) The show isn't too young to put on Fridays. It was probably never going to renew to Mondays since, unless it turns out to be monumentally terrible, the Ali Larter spy pilot is probably going to end up there as the latest attempt to recapture the 24 magic. It's also a viable candidate for Thursdays.

2) If you're a broadcaster, you want to be in business with Bad Robot. They're the last legitimate hit factory in the television business. Everything they've done for CBS thus far has turned to gold, and Alias and Lost weren't anything to sneeze at. I figure that one of this or Fringe will be back, just because Fox will want the company working on something else for them and this keeps them in good.

3) Fox has more space in its lineup than you might think. I'd suggest that the cancellation of Terra Nova virtually locks one of this or Fringe in. Moreover, networks generally want to keep at least one of the shows in each major category (half-hour comedy, hour drama) from the pilot slate to avoid looking like they're completely and totally incompetent and doing new programming. New Girl is a lock for a half-hour pickup, but what else could Fox possibly bring back from their hour-long pilot slate? Terra Nova is out and The Finder is pretty much dead on its feet at this point. Touch could show up and rule the block, but that's still got to be decided, and something way down in my tingly bits makes me think that Touch isn't going to show as strong as its debut implied, particularly on Thursdays.

Good Shape
    Well, since I don't think that Fox will put Alcatraz on Fridays (though I could be wrong) that only leaves 8 possible hours where it could go and most of them are already filled:

Bones
    Glee
    New Girl/ Raising Hope (or some new Comedy)
    X-Factor (2-3 hrs)

That's already 5-6 out of 8 hours spoken for. If Touch does decently enough to get renewed that would be 6-7 hours filled. Toss in a few new comedies, or maybe the Kevin Williamson/Kevin Bacon show, or one of the other dramas, and that's your schedule.

Fridays can just be cheap reality with a possible final season for Fringe since Warner Bros. should be willing to pretty much give it away to pump up the number of episodes for the syndication package.

New Romantic
    Isn't this ending tonight?

New Romantic
    So season (series?) finale was last night. Two one hour episodes that were linked by the discovery then recovery of the third key that allowed access to the secret room under Alcatraz that the show has been hinting at all season long.

Honestly, as far as secrets revealed and twisted plot unravelling, it did fairly well. While we're still not sure what the overall purpose behind everything is, we now know that the warden was running some secret show with a mad scientist guy seeminly designed to create his own personal henchmen out of various inmates. The colloidal silver tranfusions seem to allow for not only accellerated healing in the subjects, but also a unique RFID that allows them to be tracked. Cop girl's grandfather appears to be the first subject to complete the process, and is wholly under the control of the warden, even in 2012. I suppose we can assume that the warden is alive and well and pulling the stings from someplace...

What's not so obvious is WHY. It would appear that the paroled inmate was key in the warden's scheme. I'd guess that the paroled inmate was used as a front to slowly liquidate the gold from the civil war cache the warden found, and that the whole investment bank setup was the result of that. Only the inmate must have somehow taken control of the scheme, leaving the warden cut out and pissed. Not sure what the 50 year time warp has to do with any of that, or why the mad scientist suddenly showed up when the secret room was opened.

Guess we may never find out, as I don't think Alcatraz had the numbers to merit a second season.

New Romantic
    The important thing is that they did a fun homage to the car chase in Bullitt, and Sarah Jones remains cute as hell.

http://jalopnik.com/5896697/watch-th...lcatraz-finale

New Romantic
    Wow, that was the most horrible ending they could conceive. They must HATE their public. I've never seen something written with as much spite.

Anyway, absolutely nothing revealed. At the last moment they just show another man in the back that was never mentioned or shown until that point. Turtles all the way down, once again.

I'm glad that they didn't get away with this and that the show is canceled.

WTF so many cliffhangers...

I think season 2 would have been pretty awesome , with the tracking room and all.

New Romantic
    I'm glad that they didn't get away with this and that the show is canceled.
    It....uh....isn't. And presumably won't be. It might not get renewed, but I doubt that it's going to get a big "We're canceling it" story even if it's not renewed. If I were them, I'd just let the upfronts go by in May without renewal if I wasn't going to pick it up again.

It's a little bit weird. Alcatraz is one of the most successful remaining new shows for Fox this year. I'm pretty sure its only competition in the hour long category is Touch now that Terra Nova is out of the running. Given the fact that networks generally prefer to bring back at least one show in each category they try to debut every year, there's a not-inconsiderable chance that this could get renewed. Fox has a lot more room to fill this year than most and their pilot slate hasn't seemed to me that it's so chock full of excellent shows that the network can afford to release and restart.

New Romantic
    That's true, and with House ending there is a void to fill on Monday night. I know they're moving Bones over to Monday now as well, but hasn't Bones itself been on the bubble in the past when it comes to renewal?

Unless FOX has a boatload of fall pilots in the works they're going to need some carryover to fill the schedule, and Alcatraz fits that bill.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugin View Post
    The important thing is that they did a fun homage to the car chase in Bullitt, and Sarah Jones remains cute as hell.

http://jalopnik.com/5896697/watch-th...lcatraz-finale

Having just seen the original about a month ago I liked how they kept throwing the VW in their, but the modern cars suck compared to the original and the original had more "grit" to it.