Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Pinball FX 2

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffL View Post
    OK, once more slow for the learning challenged here:

I'm a pinball fanatic and have no pinball on my 360. Do I need to buy FX1 and then FX2, or just FX2?
    I'm pretty sure you can't buy FX1 anymore. Download the free FX2 client, the free Buccaneer table (at least I still think it is still available separately), and play trials of everything else. Personally I'd recommend starting by buying the FX2 core pack (Biolab, Pasha, Rome, and some sea thingee) as those tables are superior to the FX1 core pack (Extreme, Speed Machine, Agents, and the free Buccaneer) and FX1's DLC (Rocky & Bullwinkle, Street Fighter II, Earth Defense, Nightmare Mansion, and Excalibur). If you are totally bitten by the bug after playing the FX2 core pack and the free Buccaneer then I'd dip into the other, FX1, tables.

Pillow Talk
    Man, the high score chase/social aspect of this game adds a lot. I'd like to say I'm going for the crown but, damn Mink Staccato, what did you do to get that rocky and Bullwinkle score? Looks like I'll be fighting for prince of pinball instead.

Hustle
    Quote Originally Posted by silverriutsu View Post
    Man, the high score chase/social aspect of this game adds a lot. I'd like to say I'm going for the crown but, damn Mink Staccato, what did you do to get that rocky and Bullwinkle score? Looks like I'll be fighting for prince of pinball instead.
    R&B is a little wonky. The scores should probably be nerfed for the leaderboards. I just put up a 1B score and that really skewed my ranking.

Basically, if a person doesn't put up a monster R&B score, they will never have a chance to hit the top of the global leaderboard, which is too bad.

~mink~

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by rowe33 View Post
    The sequel is giving me a Geometry Wars/Trials HD vibe with the Friend integration...that's going to suck me in pretty completely.
    I'm with you on that. The game seems to do a great job of encouraging competition with friends, which is exactly what any good pinball game should do.

I actually grew up with a number of pinball machines in my basement, so they were pretty much my introduction to the concept of chasing high scores. Back then it was just me against my dad and brother (hey Rakatiel, I totally beat your high score on Biolab), so even though video pinball can never equal the real thing, it feels great to be competing on a much grander scale.

Hustle
    Quote Originally Posted by TomChick View Post
    Actually, you only get the Superscore added. The Wizard Score is the sum of all your friends' Superscores multiplied by the tables you've played.

I was going to say I doubt your Superscore is 600, but considering you're a pinball professional, maybe it is that high, in which case my avatar isn't going to get to wear that funky crown anymore.

-Tom
    You're correct. I meant to say Superscore (which, and I say this with all humility, is somewhere in the 1350+ area now). My wizard score is in the 25K region.

Mwwa-ha-ha!!!

Whoops. Sorry about that. It just popped out.

~mink~
    Last edited by Mink Staccato; 10-28-2010 at 04:15 AM.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Mink Staccato View Post
    Mwwa-ha-ha!!!

Whoops. Sorry about that. It just popped out.
    While that may have "just popped out" I couldn't help but notice you twirling your mustache at the time. I'm on to you, Mink!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock8man View Post
    Wow, this is really great. I love the implementation of how the game intimately ties in friends' scores. Right now, the only person on my friends list with scores on all the tables is Denny.
    Wait, do the table scores from Pinball FX 1 carry over as well? If not, that's a good excuse to play them again. I remember doing pretty well on the old leaderboards, but that was of course a long time ago.

Broad Band
    Pretty sure scores don't carry over. Also, I'm pretty sure the cool Geometry Wars 2-style score display that tells you how far you have to go to top the next friend on your list doesn't work with the old tables. Boooo.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Other Brendan View Post
    Pretty sure scores don't carry over. Also, I'm pretty sure the cool Geometry Wars 2-style score display that tells you how far you have to go to top the next friend on your list doesn't work with the old tables. Boooo.
    I dunno, I could swear it was working with Nightmare Mansion -- but I could be wrong.

Hustle
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWeather View Post
    While that may have "just popped out" I couldn't help but notice you twirling your mustache at the time. I'm on to you, Mink!
    Curses!

Quote Originally Posted by BigWeather View Post
    I dunno, I could swear it was working with Nightmare Mansion -- but I could be wrong.
    I don't know if it's GW2 style since I never played that game, but Nightmare Mansion definitely has a score display showing a countdown to beating your next friend's score, superscore, and weekly best. I think the table is FX DLC, though, and I haven't tried any of the FX core tables yet.

Kansas City, MO, Gamertag: Rock8mnky, PSN: Rock8man
    Quote Originally Posted by Other Brendan View Post
    I only have the old tables. I don't have any new tables yet. So I can confirm that the score display and the passing of friends all works with the old tables.

Broad Band
    Whoops. My bad then. I guess I must have had the wrong profile loaded.

Spinning Toe
    The game even makes passing your friends scores dramatic: the two avatars switch places, one cheering with newfound pride and glory while the other hangs its head in distress and shame.

I particularly enjoy passing Tom's avatar with my own, it's like two serial killers passing each other on the street.

Account closed Neo Acoustic
    I just got this, so you guys feel free to add me. Though, I'm a total pinball noob barring a small love affair with a Tales From The Crypt table like 15 years ago (and Stones & Bones. Always Stones & Bones). How do you even "learn" a table, it's all just random clicking for me for now. And no, hiring Mink to cross the ocean on an all-expenses-paid trip/seminar isn't an option :D

Hustle
    Quote Originally Posted by Abilio Carvalho View Post
    I just got this, so you guys feel free to add me. Though, I'm a total pinball noob barring a small love affair with a Tales From The Crypt table like 15 years ago (and Stones & Bones. Always Stones & Bones). How do you even "learn" a table, it's all just random clicking for me for now. And no, hiring Mink to cross the ocean on an all-expenses-paid trip/seminar isn't an option :D
    Curses again!

Actually, I'd be happy to give you a quick lesson over the phone if you would like. I've never done that before and I always love a new challenge. Just PM me if that sounds like something you'd be interested in.

~mink~

How To Go
    I'll have to take a look at this, at Justin Fletcher's behest (I appreciate it).

Social Worker
    nsorens, any idea when the Street Fighter II table will be available again in the marketplace? Currently only the trial one is there and I'd really love to throw a bit more coin you guys' way and get this last table.

Administrator World's End Supernova Tom Chick's Avatar
    I hope the fix that soon! That greyed out Street Fighter table is really galling. Not because I have any particular desire to play a Street Fighter table. I don't. But because I know that's got to be about four or five easy points for my Superscore. :)

-Tom

Account closed How To Go
    I'm waiting for my tables to download as I type this. Sending friend requests to people who aren't already on my list momentarily (except Vincent19, who hasn't posted his tag), after I decide who to axe from my list. C'mon, Microsoft, lose the 100 friend cap already!

Edit: I'm "Talisker 18", btw. Feel free to friend me (and send me a message on Live if my list is full again).
    Last edited by Talisker; 10-28-2010 at 06:54 PM.

Account closed Neo Acoustic
    Vince is Mageical I think

Account closed How To Go
    Ah, then he's already on my list :)

Administrator World's End Supernova Tom Chick's Avatar
    Okay, you fuckers stop playing this now so I can catch up. I don't have a single gold ribbon anymore. Jerks. I'll just have to content myself with occasionally beating BigWeather.

-Tom

Social Worker
    Okay, you fuckers stop playing this now so I can catch up. I don't have a single gold ribbon anymore. Jerks. I'll just have to content myself with occasionally beating BigWeather.

-Tom
    Haha, that is so very, very true. I'm not very good; I basically slum on the FX1 boards as they are neglected and I can own a sweet, sweet gold ribbon for sometimes as long as thirty minutes to an hour.

New Romantic

-Tom
    I'm starting to feel the same way! I'd taunt Tom's sad scores but I'm looking up at about 5 people on my list.

How To Go
    I'm just happy to be neck and neck with Minc on a few tables and even ahead of him on one (for now). Some of his scores seem a little crazy though.

Also Rome is pissing me off.

Hustle
    Quote Originally Posted by forgeforsaken View Post
    I'm just happy to be neck and neck with Minc on a few tables and even ahead of him on one (for now). Some of his scores seem a little crazy though.

Rome is an interesting one. I've yet to really focus much attention on it, but I like the setup. Although, the woman's voice is driving me a little crazy. It's completely wrong for the table. Whenever she speaks I keep thinking, "Why is there a college girl in ancient Rome?"

~mink~

Goodluck!!
    I bought this last night and wow is it great. My tag is Chronic Liberal and I'll be sending some friend invites out to those of you not on my list. The leaderboards are great it really gives you the drive to keep playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Abilio Carvalho View Post
    How do you even "learn" a table, it's all just random clicking for me for now.
    You can try looking at the rule sheet in the options for each table, but, as I complained earlier, they're not all that helpful. Basically, you just have to dive in, start noticing patterns, and note the flashing lights that tell you where to shoot next. I find it's better to go back to the rule sheet at that point and start putting it all together based on actual experience with the table.

But since the rule sheets aren't comprehensive either, you'll still have to figure stuff out for yourself. I still don't know what the hell is going on in Earth Defense Force about half the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Talisker View Post
    C'mon, Microsoft, lose the 100 friend cap already!
    Seriously. I thought this was why I lost online play for Phantom Dust.

Quote Originally Posted by forgeforsaken View Post
    The right ramp on Rome is a bastard. If you don't make it all the way up, then, in my experience, it's about a 70% chance that it will drain straight down the center.

Account closed How To Go
    I don't have a single gold ribbon anymore. Jerks.
    What do the ribbons mean, anyway?