Thread: Batman: Arkham City

Account closed How To Go
    Tossing a smoke pellet before you attack is a good way to handle multiple groups of armed thugs, say four thugs paired up in twos with too much distance between them to take them all in close combat. The smoke pellet covers fairly large area and any enemies enveloped in smoke are not shooting at you while you deal with their buddies.

I wouldn't say it's an essential tool, I use it a lot more often as a quick getaway when spotted by armed thugs, but it has its uses.

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nahr View Post
    That does sound appealing, I didn't know that.
    The predator medal challenges are full of things I never knew about. They increased my appreciation of that mode significantly.

New Romantic
    The nightwing and robin DLC are now on Steam, 7 bucks a pop.

How To Go
    You get codes that you then have to use through MS's gawd-awful GFWL marketplace.

The iOS game is out, neat concept for a brawler...

http://toucharcade.com/2011/12/07/ne...tting-tonight/

Spinning Toe
    Since M$ doesn't know how to run a gaming service, and the damn thing never saves any of my progress, I set aside all of yesterday to get through it in one go. Finally. It took about 10 hours but I got the main plot, 3 riddler rooms, deadshot, and one phone call shy of triangulating zsasz done. It claims 54% complete but whatever. So glad to have this POS done with.

F you rocksteady. You'll never get another penny from me.

Quote Originally Posted by ibdoomed View Post
    So glad to have this POS done with.

F you rocksteady. You'll never get another penny from me.
    I'm puzzled over any hate for this game. I liked AA significantly more, but, wow.

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by scharmers View Post
    I'm puzzled over any hate for this game. I liked AA significantly more, but, wow.
    He seems to have some version that won't save, or doesn't know how to login to GFWL. I wouldn't make any generalizations from it.

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim James View Post
    So do we know why saves are still getting wiped out? Is it because you login offline (due to the pathetic license agreement after a patch), click the save slot, and then try to use it while logged in? Maybe it doesn't understand how saves work across profiles.

It'd be nice to know so I can prevent it from happening.
    I am pretty sure the offline and online profiles on GFWL are completely separate, if you go from one to the other you don't have access to the saved games until you switch back. I don't think this is directly related to the actual bugs that have caused the loss of saves for many people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Giaddon View Post
    The nightwing and robin DLC are now on Steam, 7 bucks a pop.
    I have read that the DLC is indeed still handled via GFWL despite being available on Steam, which is disappointing. It also means that I don't think I can wait any longer for the alternate skins to arrive, while they're already on GFWL, so I may just pull the trigger on that already and wait for the rest of the DLC to go on sale on Steam in the future.
    Last edited by nabeel; 12-11-2011 at 12:04 AM.

Mad Chester
    Squee
    A Thank You from Batman: Arkham City!
    December 20, 2011

Hi all,

We have had an amazing release of Batman: Arkham City and we wanted to thank you all for your incredible support before, during and after the game's release.

As a token to our appreciation, we'll be offering a brand new, totally super sweet, Batman Inc. Batsuit skin absolutely free!

You will be able to download the skin tomorrow from Xbox Live Marketplace, PlayStation Network and Games for Windows Marketplace. We'll be sure to let everyone know exactly when the skin are available.

We also know you want to deliver justice on the streets of Gotham as Batman in your favorite skin, any time and all the time. So using the below cheat, you can select any alternative Batman skin and play them in the main game, without having to complete the full game.

To unlock this, simply press the following combination on the Main Menu screen (after you have selected your save slot):

- Left, Left, Down, Down, Left, Left, Right, Up, Up, Down.

You will get an audio confirmation and when you continue your game, you will get the option to select your favorite skin.

Thank you again for your amazing support and have a great holiday!

Sefton Hill - Game Director - Rocksteady Studios

I re-read that, so 1 free outfit, to use from the start, most excellent! I always loved the giant yellow and black bat on the chest from the Tim Burton Batman movies.

not sure if true but I read via googles that they are also giving away the Joker's Carnival Map, Iceberg Lounge, and the Batcave Challenge maps for free in one pack.
    Last edited by lordkosc; 12-20-2011 at 01:04 AM.

He seems to have some version that won't save, or doesn't know how to login to GFWL. I wouldn't make any generalizations from it.
    I had a similar problem. I picked up Batman: Arkham City on EA's Origin a couple of weeks ago when it was on promotional discount. It wouldn't save games. I played through the first couple of chapters a handful of times before saying screw this and rolling up my sleeves to do a bit of research to fix it. It seems to be a fairly common problem. In my case, I resolved it by downloading and installing the latest version of MS's GFWL client.

Now I cross my fingers and hope that my save game doesn't get wiped out one time when I exit the game.

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by lordkosc View Post
    I re-read that, so 1 free outfit, to use from the start, most excellent! I always loved the giant yellow and black bat on the chest from the Tim Burton Batman movies.

not sure if true but I read via googles that they are also giving away the Joker's Carnival Map, Iceberg Lounge, and the Batcave Challenge maps for free in one pack.
    True story! I was fully expecting to have to pay for it.

Account closed How To Go
    Lafayette, IN ---> XBL: Cubit33 --------------> PSN: Cubit85 -------------->
    So I bought this on Origin during their sale a couple weeks ago. I downloaded it last night, installed, and launched the game. After copying my activation code into GFWL, I got an error saying this code had already been used. :(

le sigh

World's End Supernova
    Wow, I'm surprised they released the challenge maps. I guess I don't need to pick up Nightwing and Robin anytime soon now.

Yep the new suit and the maps show up for free in GFWL on PC.

XBL still shows the Challenge Maps at 240 spacebucks, fwiw (suit is free, though).

Spinning Toe
    I just want to take this opportunity to illustrate the difference between GfWL and Steam.

GfWL new DLC:

1. Read forum post that tells me there are free challenge maps for batman.
    2. Start batman, open GfWL.
    3. Click on my downloads.
    4. Xboxlive market thingie starts, minimizes batman, crashes.
    5. Resize batman, click on account management.
    6. Browser window opens, asking me to login again.
    7. Login again, click on games, click on batman.
    8. See the map pack with the pricetag free.
    9. Click on purchase mappack
    10. Windows live asks me to fill in my address info (For what reason, are you gonna mail me my DLC?)
    11. Fill in bogus data (Yeah, given the level of competence I have seen I'm not gonna trust you with my data)
    12. Purchase is apparently now complete.
    13. Open batman again, click on my downloads.
    14. Click on the mappack, start downloading
    15. Wait for download to finish while typing this post (on a 1mb/s connection for 150 mb)
    16. Play

Steam new free DLC:

1. Autoupdates the game in question.
    2. Read update news (optional)
    3. Play

World's End Supernova
    My steps:

1. Click on nabeel's link
    2. Purchase free DLC
    3. Start download, then remember it's the GFWL client and not the data
    4. Click on Arkham City marketplace to see if the character DLC happens to be on sale
    5. Realize I'm in the UK edition, go back to default through Google
    6. Notice the free batsuit DLC and purchase it even though I don't care about it
    7. Start GFWL Marketplace
    8. Restart GFWL Marketplace because it didn't detect the batsuit DLC I purchased a few seconds ago
    9. Download both DLCs
    10. Play
    11. Savegame corrupted - lol just kidding, not this time

Spinning Toe
    I'm definitely logged into gfwl since I'm getting all the achievements. I have the dvd version so maybe that's the issue. I guess I could use one of the eight steam codes I have but I really didn't want to add to their sales stats.

I made it through the game in one sitting finally so it's over and done with and I never have to go back.

Social Worker
    It sucks that you hit a bug that didn't let you save, but it was your decision to go through the shitty experience of playing the entire game in one sitting instead of trying to fix the bug. It doesn't happen to most people, so there must be some fix for it.

Neo Acoustic
    Lahndahn - UK, PSN and Xbox ID: Huntorama
    Quote Originally Posted by OrfBC View Post
    It sucks that you hit a bug that didn't let you save, but it was your decision to go through the shitty experience of playing the entire game in one sitting instead of trying to fix the bug.
    I'm almost certain he's some sort of hilarious troll sockpuppet thingy. He has this sort of tired Eeyore schtick that he comes into every thread with. So I doubt he did actually go through and play the game in one sitting like a chore. Because I doubt he, y'know, exists.

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by OrfBC View Post
    It sucks that you hit a bug that didn't let you save, but it was your decision to go through the shitty experience of playing the entire game in one sitting instead of trying to fix the bug. It doesn't happen to most people, so there must be some fix for it.
    I had the game 3 days early so there were no posts about it and rocksteady had no info so I thought that since the game was so short, it didn't need to save. It's shorter than SMB 1, 2 or 3 afterall and neither of them had saves.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunty View Post
    I'm almost certain he's some sort of hilarious troll sockpuppet thingy. He has this sort of tired Eeyore schtick that he comes into every thread with. So I doubt he did actually go through and play the game in one sitting like a chore. Because I doubt he, y'know, exists.
    Pfft, whatever, like it's hard to find my gfwl profile if you don't believe I finished it.

And I have purposefully killed thread troll possibilities.

Neo Acoustic
    Lahndahn - UK, PSN and Xbox ID: Huntorama
    Pfft, whatever, like it's hard to find my gfwl profile if you don't believe I finished it.

It'd almost be better if you were a sockpuppet. The alternative is a genuine miserablist who approaches gaming with the begrudging resignation I reserve for doing my washing up. No skin off my nose either way, really. Congratulations.

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunty View Post
    It'd almost be better if you were a sockpuppet. The alternative is a genuine miserablist who approaches gaming with the begrudging resignation I reserve for doing my washing up. No skin off my nose either way, really. Congratulations.
    Wow, that's harsh.

I'll try to post more "I love this" anecdotes.

Spinning Toe
    I got a chance to play a little bit with the Joker challenge room, and man do I love it. It tweaks the formula just enough to make it fresh for someone like me who has played a lot of combat challenge rooms between AA and AC. Getting three medals with all four playable characters will actually be, well, a challenge.

I had the game 3 days early so there were no posts about it and rocksteady had no info so I thought that since the game was so short, it didn't need to save. It's shorter than SMB 1, 2 or 3 afterall and neither of them had saves.

So you got the game before release and when you had a problem with it rather than wait until it was released and maybe deal with the bug/patch then you decided to ironman blast through the main story and then complain about how awful the experience was and the game stank because of it?

Okay, then.

New Romantic
    The combo to unlock skins during normal gameplay is cool. Before you only had it for the + replay, but that was proving too hard for my aged reflexes. Now I can replay the game on normal difficulty as the aging Dark Knight; unfortunately you have to hit that combo everytime you reload the game.

World's End Supernova
    I'm really out of practice. These new challenge rooms look cool, but they're going to be frustrating until I work on my game. I should do that before I try to get those huge combos. I need to work on dodging/redirect especially.

Joker's challenge seems straightforward enough - "simply" keep the combo going until the timer is just about to expire, and you'll probably hit a million. But the one-armed guy and the titan make that tricky. And that score's only good for rank 100 on the leaderboards! I haven't made it yet.

Penguin's challenge seems a bit more fun since it's only standard enemies. So far I've hit 370k points for rank 65.

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by dannimal View Post
    So you got the game before release and when you had a problem with it rather than wait until it was released and maybe deal with the bug/patch then you decided to ironman blast through the main story and then complain about how awful the experience was and the game stank because of it?

Okay, then.
    Uh, I waited until 12/9 before I set aside enough time to get through it all at once. You must have missed that.

There were no day one patches by the way, since the delay had nothing to do with the actual game itself.