Thread: Batman: Arkham City

New Romantic
    You bring up a valid point. Most of these new ultra complex moves, while cool looking, are useless in a group fight because some other guy always hits you and interrupts the combo. And if you're only fighting one guy, there's really no need to do anything other than the quickest method.

Goodluck!!
    Quote Originally Posted by theborbes View Post
    I think the button prompts go away if you do it right enough times. Maybe the crit ones pop up if you are not fighting well
    Exactly. The Blade Takedown one kept popping up until I finally worked out how to it properly. It comes back if I mess it up a couple of times, so then I whine about it on forums. No wait!

How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by noun View Post
    You bring up a valid point. Most of these new ultra complex moves, while cool looking, are useless in a group fight because some other guy always hits you and interrupts the combo. And if you're only fighting one guy, there's really no need to do anything other than the quickest method.
    The Blade Counter is one of the most useful moves in the game once everyone is armed. I have never been interrupted while doing it or the Blade Dodge. Ever. And all the Special Combo moves are completely invulnerable. You will never get hit in this game while doing a move other than a normal attack.

Goodluck!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKeil View Post
    The Blade Counter is one of the most useful moves in the game once everyone is armed. I have never been interrupted while doing it or the Blade Dodge. Ever. And all the Special Combo moves are completely invulnerable. You will never get hit in this game while doing a move other than a normal attack.
    Well, the Aerial Attack is almost as bad as the Ground Pound for interruption - except that you only really need the Aerial Attack on the guys with shields, and in those cases it won't get interrupted. This combat system plays fair (mostly).

Edit: oh right, the Special Combos are always safe. Although there's at least one in-game situation with moving objects that might be a problem...
    Last edited by jemann; 10-26-2011 at 06:02 PM.

Neo Acoustic
    Quote Originally Posted by jemann View Post
    Well, the Aerial Attack is almost as bad as the Ground Pound for interruption - except that you only really need the Aerial Attack on the guys with shields, and in those cases it won't get interrupted. This combat system plays fair (mostly).
    Once I learned that Disarm & Destroy works on shields, I stopped using the Aerial Attack and just built up my Special Combo via the other mooks so that I can instantly crumple the shields via D&D.

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperJay View Post
    Why bother?
    One reason might be to remove that annoying text you hate so much.

Everyone stop bringing up complaints if they're solveable. I was getting worried here, especially after the counter icon issue.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Budvar View Post
    I would be pissed off with a car that had windshield wipers on all the time though
    Apparently you don't live in Vancouver...

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperJay View Post
    - because reading screen text while you're getting stabbed is way fun, right -
    it tells you when you purchase the upgrade to hold triangle/Y and hold the stick in a direction. Once you read that screen text you shouldn't really need to look at the prompts ever again.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKeil View Post
    Hm. Then I must be failing in my timing, because I've yet to execute such a move with multiple enemies around.

Neo Acoustic
    Quote Originally Posted by Drastic View Post
    Spoiler: Take the captain's wheel out of your pants!

I just went about it slowly and methodically. Grappled and glided to orbit the area to get to the more isolated ones. Snapped in and out of detective vision to both know where everyone was and where their target lasers where aimed at given moments, and took people out as opportunity presented.

Depending on positioning, where you use the gun jamming gadget is helpful, as well as having smoke pellets on reserve. It's definitely an area where the key for me was to just relax.

I thought I was going about it pretty slow but using the gun jammer and detective vision seemed to help.

I am now done with the game! Well aside from the side quests I have left and Riddler Trophies. And also the Catwoman DLC whenever MS unbans my XBox :/

Social Worker
    Spoilers!!!!!
    The credits at the end of the game are longer than the game!

My mind is blown by the ending.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Shieldwolf View Post
    Spoilers!!!!!
    The credits at the end of the game are longer than the game!

My mind is blown by the ending.
    After 3 games of disappointing endings, (Deus Ex, Dead Island and Dark Souls. What's with all the D's), Batman's Ending was epic, satisfying, actually full of surprising twists, and beautifully executed. It would have not look out of place in a Nolan movie.

Fantastic!

Don't forget the horrible RAGE ending.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by lordkosc View Post
    Don't forget the horrible RAGE ending.
    Did not play Rage, and I'm kinda glad that this slump of terrible endings is going to be done soon. The next game I'll be playing is Skyrim, and we all know Bethesda games don't actually have endings.

Neo Acoustic
    Finally! I'm playing it, and it's fantastic. One thing, though, and it's been mentioned by others in this thread, but I don't think answered:

How do I do the "special takedown"? B+Y just does the cape stun.

New Romantic
    Overland Park, KS XBL & PSN: Kid Socrates
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta View Post
    Finally! I'm playing it, and it's fantastic. One thing, though, and it's been mentioned by others in this thread, but I don't think answered:

How do I do the "special takedown"? B+Y just does the cape stun.
    Is your combat multiplier up to 8 or, after an upgrade, 5? 'Cause it doesn't work until then.

My only update after playing last night is MAN those AR cape-stunt missions are hard. Batman isn't so good at this.

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Bowyer View Post
    Is your combat multiplier up to 8 or, after an upgrade, 5? 'Cause it doesn't work until then.

My only update after playing last night is MAN those AR cape-stunt missions are hard. Batman isn't so good at this.
    Ugh, no joke. I blew through the first set to get the grapnel pretty easily, but I haven't managed to complete a single one of the second set. I came really close on the one where you have to divebomb and then glide through a short tunnel, but I always get hung up on the walls/ceiling.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by wigglestick View Post
    Ugh, no joke. I blew through the first set to get the grapnel pretty easily, but I haven't managed to complete a single one of the second set. I came really close on the one where you have to divebomb and then glide through a short tunnel, but I always get hung up on the walls/ceiling.
    I did that one last night! On like try #17. I'm sure that person I'm trying to save is fine, Batman's doin' tricks!

Spinning Toe
    Spoiler: I guess
    "Bruce, did you find that cure yet?"

"Shut up, Barbara, I'm tryin' to do loop-de-loops over here."
    Last edited by wigglestick; 10-28-2011 at 08:45 AM. Reason: added spoiler tag

Spinning Toe
    I love the game. So far I agree that it is absolutely fantastic. It has turned me into a Batman fan to boot. I borrowed all my buddies dvds and tonight I am going home to watch the Dr. Freeze movie.

I keep trying to use Dark Souls controls and am getting slaughtered pretty regularly. Batman should really pick up a sword and shield once in a while.

There's a really sharp spike in difficulty after the first one, unfortunately, and there isn't really a progression to them; I found all 4 to be equally difficult. There is a lot of luck involved with them.

New Romantic
    I did all right at the first set of four -- the first one that I found after them, where you do a dive, pull up, stay at low altitude, and then turn left, MAN.

World's End Supernova
    I did all right at the first set of four -- the first one that I found after them, where you do a dive, pull up, stay at low altitude, and then turn left, MAN.
    Do you mean the one with the "joker tunnel" or whatever it is? Because that's the one I'm missing as well.

New Romantic
    It MIGHT be the Joker Tunnel... I'm not sure.

Spoiler: Early location spoiler
    It ends right near a Titan container and around where you drop down underneath Arkham in search for Mr. Freeze early on.

World's End Supernova
    No, the one I'm thinking is by the Steel Works. Son of a bitch I have trouble not bonking into the roof of the tunnel going in.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizard_King View Post
    No, the one I'm thinking is by the Steel Works. Son of a bitch I have trouble not bonking into the roof of the tunnel going in.
    I haven't tried one over there. I hope the rewards aren't awesome, or I'm going to be bashing my head into a tunnel for hours.

Spoiler: AR Training Reward

There is no reward (after the grapnel upgrade, that is).

New Romantic
    I just found this one. ARGLEBARGLE EFFING ROOF.

Kansas City, MO, Gamertag: Rock8mnky, PSN: Rock8man
    That's the only one I've gotten so far. It's the others that I just can't get. Especially the one dives you into some kind of indoor mall.

XBL: IkeV; BattleNet: IkeV#1236; PSN: IkeVandergraaf
    So, early game question. Don't think this qualifies as a spoiler. Is there a point at which you can first grab the riddler trophies? When first entering the steel mill I pulled open a hatch and found a trophy behind it but couldn't grab it. It was also before the prompt that told me I could save them on my map, so I didn't do that. Am I doing something wrong or do I just need to wait for a trigger?

Also, for those who got the iOS app, how spoilery is it? I'd like to get it, but not if it's going to ruin the fun of finding things myself, the way God and nature intended.

So far, loving the game. It's everything I love about assassins creed, but appropriately Batman-y. I wish there was a little more early game hand holding though, before they turn you loose in the city.

Also, I should mention for those with 3D tvs, this is the best implementation of 3d I've yet seen on a 360 game. There appears to be no loss of resolution or fps, and the effect adds to the experience without being overwhelming or annoying.

Finally, minor annoyance with the packaging: No room in the budget for a paper manual, but they did fit in an extensive catalog. The paper info sheet says there is an online manual at www.batmanarkhamcity.com, but there actually is not.
    Last edited by IkeVandergraaf; 10-30-2011 at 06:14 AM. Reason: bitching