Thread: Batman: Arkham City

World's End Supernova Chris Nahr's Avatar
    Hey, let's start playing Arkham City on the PS3!

1. Download firmware update. Restart.
    2. Download 17 MB patch for game.
    3. Mandatory game installation to hard disk.
    4. Enter Catwoman code in PSN store. Start 220 MB download.
    5. Enter Robin code in PSN store. Start 110 MB download.

Total time spent so far: 30 minutes, and the two big downloads will take all evening. Console gaming, quick and easy!

World's End Supernova
    oh you poor console crybabies

1. Wait until November 15th.
    2. Play game.
    3. GFWL deletes saves lol

(European PC gamers are free to mock me now.)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nahr View Post

Total time spent so far: 30 minutes, and the two big downloads will take all evening. Console gaming, quick and easy!
    You have a PS3 and you aren't already aware that buying a new title means you'll be eating dinner and washing the dishes before you get to play?

Batman was nothing. Try the initial updates on The Show 10 (and 11). Sony must have put those updates on some back-alley Siberian servers because I remember those bad boys taking 6 hours.

Broad Band

I play A.C. on Xbox 360 and had most of those tasks (except for firmware update) prior to starting the game as well. But 220MB and 110MB qualify as "big" downloads that really take all evening? Does PSN suck that bad, or is that your internet connection? They took me maybe 10 minutes apiece. I hope to god that PS3 users aren't routinely stuck with long download times for downloads less than 1 GB, that'd be awful.

World's End Supernova Chris Nahr's Avatar
    I have a 3 Mbit DSL connection which could do such downloads in 10 minutes from a fast server but PSN is much slower than that. All evening was an exaggeration but 1 hour is certainly realistic for 330 MB, unfortunately.

Broad Band
    I have a 3 Mbit DSL connection which could do such downloads in 10 minutes from a fast server but PSN is much slower than that. All evening was an exaggeration but 1 hour is certainly realistic for 330 MB, unfortunately.
    Got it. Yeah, so much for convenience and accessibility, huh?

Hopefully the game will be worth it for you in the end. Godspeed!

Hustle
    Quote Originally Posted by noun View Post
    Honestly, they're intrusive, but this sort of thing is present in almost every console game I play so I think I've just learned to tune it out. I've come to accept that every console game I play will tell me what button to push and when any time I even approach a hotspot.
    I came to this from Dark Souls(gotta get back soon)...need I say more? Heh. The fact that I'm still being instructed in post game is absurd.

How To Go

Faster than the three hours it took to get Battlefield 3 running on my PC.

And the PS3 firmware update is just expected at this point. Turn that thing off for five minutes and you've got an update waiting for you already. You have to factor that shit into your planned gaming time if you're going PS3 for whatever unfathomable reason.

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by noun View Post
    Honestly, they're intrusive, but this sort of thing is present in almost every console game I play so I think I've just learned to tune it out. I've come to accept that every console game I play will tell me what button to push and when any time I even approach a hotspot.
    I agree with BigRedCat's line of thinking. There's far too much hand holding in games these days. Did the NES tell you to press A (or was it B? whatever) to jump everytime you could. Absurd indeed.

Some of the batman videos I've seen have the help text in the way of so much of the screen that it's hard to see all the enemies threatening you so I guess if they are using that tactic to increase the difficulty....

How To Go
    After about 15 hours of play, I seriously have no idea how you guys can be so distracted by the button prompts. I had to boot it up just to check and see if they were actually there. Do windshield wipers throw you off your game when driving, too?

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKeil View Post
    After about 15 hours of play, I seriously have no idea how you guys can be so distracted by the button prompts. I had to boot it up just to check and see if they were actually there. Do windshield wipers throw you off your game when driving, too?
    I'm not talking about button prompts in the middle/bottom of the screen. I'm talking about the paragraphs of text along the top, like the one describing how to do the knife dodge takedown. If I can find an image or video of it, I'll link it.

Spinning Toe
    This.

Are they there? Sure. Don't even really notice them, tho.

How To Go
    It's certain ones, namely the ones that put text above and below Batman.

Last edited by forgeforsaken; 10-26-2011 at 11:46 AM. Reason: less spoilery picture.

Social Worker
    Thanks guys. I took your advice and did a longer dive before pulling up. That helped me pass the trial.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by forgeforsaken View Post
    It's certain ones, namely the ones that put text above and below Batman.

That can be turned off. Just go into batman's moveslist and when highlighting the ability and you can toggle 'tips' via the X button on 360(square on PS3 my guess).(ie. for the pictured move, just go to 'Blade Dodge' in the pause menu and hit X to toggle tips off.)

You can toggle any of Batman's combat moves to appear when available in this menu as well. I find it helpful to remind me about some of the more obscure moves I often forget, but if they are distracting, they can be toggled on an individual basis.

How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by BDGE View Post
    That can be turned off. Just go into batman's moveslist and when highlighting the ability and you can toggle 'tips' via the X button on 360(square on PS3 my guess).(ie. for the pictured move, just go to 'Blade Dodge' in the pause menu and hit X to toggle tips off.)

You can toggle any of Batman's combat moves to appear when available in this menu as well. I find it helpful to remind me about some of the more obscure moves I often forget, but if they are distracting, they can be toggled on an individual basis.
    But it doesn't work! I have turned it off, I have tried turning it on thinking maybe it's reversed, I turned it off and on mulitple times. It always re-enables.

Pillow Talk
    I think that every time you obtain a new move, you need to perform it at least once before the message goes away.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by forgeforsaken View Post
    But it doesn't work! I have turned it off, I have tried turning it on thinking maybe it's reversed, I turned it off and on mulitple times. It always re-enables.
    Hmm...maybe it's on a special timer of sorts. Like it will initially turn off after successfully dodging that move 3 times, just to ensure you 'get' it. Maybe that one requires certain progress in the story for it to be muted.

Maybe I am crazy and all the text is pure white noise while playing when I am actually thinking it has been turned off. I swear it seems off at this point when I play!...maybe? I'll pay special attention next time I visit the game.

Quote Originally Posted by BDGE View Post
    Hmm...maybe it's on a special timer of sorts. Like it will initially turn off after successfully dodging that move 3 times, just to ensure you 'get' it. Maybe that one requires certain progress in the story for it to be muted.

Maybe I am crazy and all the text is pure white noise while playing when I am actually thinking it has been turned off. I swear it seems off at this point when I play!...maybe? I'll pay special attention next time I visit the game.
    I think you're right. I remember getting the initial prompts for the blade dodge, but I don't get them any more. I get the yellow anime angry prompt from the attacker, but not the text. I'm pretty sure the game quits prompting for some stuff...but then I'm also pretty sure I'm getting "press ... to summon your bat storm" during 8x combos even though I have summoned my bat storms several times, thank you.

New Romantic
    Overland Park, KS XBL & PSN: Kid Socrates
    The zipline upgrade stayed on my screen for like an hour, TAUNTING me, because I was really bad at it and didn't realize that when you press RB to zip up to a ledge, you can let it go. I made it all the way through AA thinking that was hold, not press. Oy.

New Romantic
    Just saw the Nightwing DLC trailer over at GiantBomb. I did some Googling, but I can't find anything that says whether the Nightwing pack is just for use with Challenge maps, or if he's like Catwoman and has his own vignette style missions and access to the open Arkham City. If it's just Challenge maps, I'll skip it. I don't understand the allure of those when broken out from the main game, but I'm sure tons of people enjoy them. Anyone know if Nightwing will have his own little campaign missions?

Edit: Shacknews' story makes it pretty clear that Nightwing is only for use in the Challenge maps. Bummer, if somewhat understandable.

Less understandable is only allowing people to use their preorder Batman skins in New Game Plus. I don't understand why they'd place such a stupid restriction on using the skins. Fun governors.

New Romantic
    Challenge-map only DLC is a shame. I'd be interested in episodic side stories that enabled at the character switch points post-game, if they had enough meat to them. Whatever else Robin was up to, etc.

They should also release a free Superman DLC, that consists of just a half-second high-speed overflight of Arkham City on his way to do other things.

Neo Acoustic
    So I'm almost done with the game but this part is driving me nuts:

Spoiler: Near end mission spoilers
    Getting past all the snipers to get into the movie theater. I'm trying to be stealthy in taking them down but even coming up behind a guy and doing a stealth take down alerts the other snipers it seems and then they two shot me. Is there some trick to this? I try zipping away but I tend to get picked off regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperJay View Post
    I play A.C. on Xbox 360 and had most of those tasks (except for firmware update) prior to starting the game as well. But 220MB and 110MB qualify as "big" downloads that really take all evening? Does PSN suck that bad, or is that your internet connection? They took me maybe 10 minutes apiece. I hope to god that PS3 users aren't routinely stuck with long download times for downloads less than 1 GB, that'd be awful.
    PSN downloads just seem horribly slow compared to 360.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
    So I'm almost done with the game but this part is driving me nuts:
    Spoiler: Take the captain's wheel out of your pants!

I just went about it slowly and methodically. Grappled and glided to orbit the area to get to the more isolated ones. Snapped in and out of detective vision to both know where everyone was and where their target lasers where aimed at given moments, and took people out as opportunity presented.

Depending on positioning, where you use the gun jamming gadget is helpful, as well as having smoke pellets on reserve. It's definitely an area where the key for me was to just relax.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedCat View Post
    For Mysterious Stranger, the symbols he leaves actually point the way to his next appearance. And if you look at your map and choose side missions, the circle that overlays also helps. I also can't find the Identity Thief ones though.
    Had this issue on both quests, but here's how I solved them:

Spoiler: Solution
    Fly around the city with detective mode on. I soon found the Watcher dude in a place I normally wouldn't see someone. I was also able to locate the 2 corpses I needed for ID theft this way.

Broad Band
    I would be pissed off with a car that had windshield wipers on all the time though

How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by Budvar View Post
    I would be pissed off with a car that had windshield wipers on all the time though
    The button prompts aren't on all the time. So yeah, problem solved.

I honestly don't know if the prompts have gone away in my game or not, because I just don't notice them after I take note of how to perform the move. I don't think the text paragraph on Blade Dodge has popped up since the first few times I used the move, but even if it is, obviously it's not impacting my experience.

How To Go
    So here's another bug. Don't play while downloading demos. I was just bouncing around getting trophies and every time a demo would complete the game would tell me new DLC downloaded and exit to the main menu.

Spinning Toe
    I think the button prompts go away if you do it right enough times. Maybe the crit ones pop up if you are not fighting well

Broad Band
    I have never successfully dodged a knife attack with the Blade Dodge and I've never used the Blade Takedown. Why bother? I could sit there and dick around with asinine moves and get slashed over and over - because reading screen text while you're getting stabbed is way fun, right - or I could just do one of the four dozen other moves I have that will KO that fucker faster than he can make with the poking.

At this point I just want those moves to be taken out of my game - I don't need them, I don't want them, and I sure as hell don't want to keep being told how to do them.