Thread: Batman: Arkham City

How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownBluesFan View Post
    The second body was hard to find, as I recall. I don't remember where it was, but it was on the far eastern side of the circle if not a little beyond is how I remember it.
    No I know where it should be as I've watched a video on it now. It's not there.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by forgeforsaken View Post
    No I know where it should be as I've watched a video on it now. It's not there.
    Spoiler:
    Bridge right?
    I think I just stumbled on it last night.

New Romantic
    My biggest problem in finding the second Deadshot victim was that I had to beat up probably 20 goons in different locations in the search area, which made a whole lot of distracting glowy blue bodies in detective vision and several repeats of "no dammit, not there again." Batman should really add a filter to his detective lenses that filter out bodies he's responsible for, for the occasions when he's looking for the few bodies he's not.

How To Go
    My problem is it's acting like the 2nd shot hasn't happened when it did. I think I must have died or started something else right when it went off and now it's just lost in a state of limbo. I've got everything done except that, riddler and the AR missions now, so it's kind of annoying.

Social Worker
    "Other Requirements: Online play requires log-in to Games For Windows Live"

Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by forgeforsaken View Post
    My problem is it's acting like the 2nd shot hasn't happened when it did. I think I must have died or started something else right when it went off and now it's just lost in a state of limbo. I've got everything done except that, riddler and the AR missions now, so it's kind of annoying.
    If he killed another victim, you'll see an indication on your map with a large circle that you have to look around in. If the circle's not on your map, I'd guess it didn't happen yet.

How To Go
    I finally got it to work. What I think happened is that it clicked off while I was in combat then I got killed outside, and it didn't save as having initiated. It looks like it only spawns when you are right outside the steel mill, which I hadn't hadn't been back to for a while. I went back and wandered around there and the chain started back up again.

Social Worker
    My copy just arrived in the mail today. I anticipate a qt3 moment later tonight.

I've been able to 100% most of the map areas now, including Riddler trophies, and even Catwoman's trophies, but I still can not find out how to advance the Identity theft quest or the Watcher quest. Identity theft one is just 1 part done, I've never found the second part. I've met the watcher 3 or 4 times now, but can't find him since.

Edit: aha, I just found Watcher again. Very sneaky, Batman!
    Last edited by Spect; 10-23-2011 at 08:01 AM.

How To Go
    Ok seriously how do disable the txt pop ups for moves namely the blade dodge? Checking enable disable tutorial seems to do nothing.

New Romantic
    More than halfway through the game (I think), and one spot is just pissing me off:

Spoiler:
    Ra's Al Ghul's demon test. Having to fly on these perfect paths to reach one ice pillar surrounded by anti-matter I guess since everything else kills you instantly on contact. This is as frustrating as the car race in Mafia, or the boss battle in Vampire Masquerade. Pressing RT makes me die faster, pulling up on the left trigger keeps me alive but always missing the pillar. If there's a trick to doing this, someone please tell me. Because right now, this shit is ragequit worthy.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadath View Post
    Awesome, thanks :)

Broad Band
    Quote Originally Posted by noun View Post
    More than halfway through the game (I think), and one spot is just pissing me off:

Spoiler:
    Ra's Al Ghul's demon test. Having to fly on these perfect paths to reach one ice pillar surrounded by anti-matter I guess since everything else kills you instantly on contact. This is as frustrating as the car race in Mafia, or the boss battle in Vampire Masquerade. Pressing RT makes me die faster, pulling up on the left trigger keeps me alive but always missing the pillar. If there's a trick to doing this, someone please tell me. Because right now, this shit is ragequit worthy.
    Hmm, I'm not sure what I did that's different from what you describe, but keep in mind that you CAN use your grapnel to pull yourself the rest of the way to that landing platform - you just can't hook on to anything else.

Otherwise, I just dove off the starting platform, held RT to dive-bomb while pushing the Left Stick forward until I got to wherever his little vapor trail pulled up. Then I'd release RT, pull back on Left Stick all the way, and just hold it back while gliding. Most of the time I was able to hit the destination platform without incident but a couple times I had to grapnel my way to the platform or just failed altogether.

I'm playing on Normal (or Medium) difficulty; maybe it's different on Hard but it seems like this mechanic that'd operate the same way regardless. Hope this helps - let me know if anything here is unclear.

How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by noun View Post

Spoiler:
    It flatly tells you how to do it. Divebomb, then pull up. It even gives you a line to follow (on Normal, at least). I don't even know what to suggest other than using the grapnel to latch on to the target ice pillar as early as you can.

New Romantic
    Well, I followed the literal directions and experienced the results outlined in my previous post. I just wondered if there was a hotkey combination I missed (RT + A + left stick makes you go up or something).

Account closed Social Worker
    Well, the literal directions say, "Follow me without touching anything," which I assumed also meant the ice pillar and caused a great amount of frustration for me until I figured out what they actually meant.

Spinning Toe
    Also, you don't have to follow the line that Ra's leaves behind him - ie, you don't have to dive and pull up roller-coaster like. You get enough speed on the first dive, you can pull up and coast the rest of the way. At least that's how I remember it.

How To Go
    Time zone: PDT / BattleTag: RepoMan#1825 / XBLA: Rodeolio / Steam: RepoManFTW
    DAMMIT, SPOILERS. HINT: if you are replying to a spoiler tag, and you are not using a spoiler tag, you are PROBABLY FUCKING UP. Clearly time for all PC holdouts to ditch this thread, which sucks.

Broad Band
    No offence, but that is common sense. Visiting a game thread before you play it is YOUR fault. Let the players talk about it freely. I haven't played it yet and if I get spoiled by coming here it is my own damn fault.

How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by RepoMan View Post
    DAMMIT, SPOILERS. HINT: if you are replying to a spoiler tag, and you are not using a spoiler tag, you are PROBABLY FUCKING UP. Clearly time for all PC holdouts to ditch this thread, which sucks.
    Why? What are people even going to talk about at this point if they haven't played the game yet?

Spinning Toe
    I don't know, Gunny... I used to think like that and stayed out of these threads until I was able to play the game, but now that we have spoiler tags, using them should be a simple matter of common courtesy, especially in this case since a sizable portion of the playerbase can't even play the game yet (i.e., PC gamers). There's also a spoiler thread for anyone that wants to talk freely about the game without worrying about spoiler tags, so RepoMan's complaint is entirely justifiable IMO.

How To Go
    Okay, so what is to be discussed in the thread of the game that is already out if nobody can mention anything in the game because PC players can't play it yet? Should all discussion outside of bitching about Games for Windows move over to the other thread, leaving this one abandoned until November?

Nobody blurted out the end of the fucking game. If you're so spoiler sensitive that character names make you freak out, don't go into threads about the game until you've played it. It's that simple.

Broad Band
    Quote Originally Posted by bandidoquest View Post
    I don't know, Gunny... I used to think like that and stayed out of these threads until I was able to play the game, but now that we have spoiler tags, using them should be a simple matter of common courtesy, especially in this case since a sizable portion of the playerbase can't even play the game yet (i.e., PC gamers). There's also a spoiler thread for anyone that wants to talk freely about the game without worrying about spoiler tags, so RepoMan's complaint is entirely justifiable IMO.
    Justifiable...to a point. Yeah, we have spoiler tags but using them is entirely up to the poster. You have to expect a few spoilers to slip through.

Battle Dancer How To Go Wholly Schmidt's Avatar
    Matt, I disagree. There's plenty to discuss about the mechanics of the game, and there should be a place to ask questions when we're stuck or curious about what other people did. Some common courtesy regarding spoilers isn't too much to ask, especially in the obvious case above. If someone else spoiler-tagged a question, it makes sense to keep your response hidden or vague.

For my part, I was just coming into the thread to ask this:

What's a good point to stop and look for Riddler trophies for a while? I'm still relatively early in the game, and right now when I spot a trophy, I'm just as likely to spend a couple minutes only to realize I don't have the right equipment yet as I am to solve the little puzzle. Is there a good point where I'll have most of the equipment and won't feel like I'm wasting my time if I run after every trophy I see?

For my progress so far...
    Spoiler:
    I just talked to someone I thought would have an antidote, but it turns out I need someone else's blood, so now I'm supposed to track them down.

Matt, that seems like a perfectly good question to ask while playing the game, and it makes a lot more sense here than in the full spoiler thread. But I've avoided the spoiler thread entirely (because I'm still playing, duh), so maybe it's a polite thread where things are tagged and I could safely dip in, ask my question, and avoid all but direct responses to me. Is that the case? I doubt it.

I'm with Repoman. And yeah, with a big villain roster and not knowing in advance who's going to make an appearance, I think it's reasonable to not want to know which villains (or allies) appear. A lot of the fun is being surprised "Whoa, they even thought to work him into the story?"

I realize that there will be things that slip through (it took me a few tries to figure out the spoiler tag), and there's room for interpretation on what's a spoiler. But I'm all for Repoman calling someone out on it, and the response should be "Oh, sorry, I didn't realize, I'll go edit it", not "Fuck you for wanting to read about the game you're playing, idiot!"

Quote Originally Posted by Wholly Schmidt View Post
    For my part, I was just coming into the thread to ask this:

What's a good point to stop and look for Riddler trophies for a while? I'm still relatively early in the game, and right now when I spot a trophy, I'm just as likely to spend a couple minutes only to realize I don't have the right equipment yet as I am to solve the little puzzle. Is there a good point where I'll have most of the equipment and won't feel like I'm wasting my time if I run after every trophy I see?
    You probably should wait until you have all gadgets. Well, except 1 that doesn't factor into trophy hunting at all, but I won't mention that one here, since it probably is a spoiler.

The cool thing is you can "tag" trophies you come across to add them to your map for later. I pretty much only collected the ones I knew I could grab right away and left the hunting for when I finished the main story.

Mad Chester
    RPS linked an interesting article on Arkham City today.

There's a Lot of B*tching About Catwoman in 'Arkham City'

In particular, it deals with AC's treatment of female characters. Much like the authors, I am enjoying the game very much, but the treatment of female characters makes me feel pretty awkward - particularly when I play it with my wife in the room. I am not that comfortable with sexualized violence and there sure is a lot of it in this game.

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
    RPS linked an interesting article on Arkham City today.

There's a Lot of B*tching About Catwoman in 'Arkham City'

In particular, it deals with AC's treatment of female characters. Much like the authors, I am enjoying the game very much, but the treatment of female characters makes me feel pretty awkward - particularly when I play it with my wife in the room. I am not that comfortable with sexualized violence and there sure is a lot of it in this game.
    It's very strong in the early parts, and uncomfortably so in the opening event. It's especially bad because it's juxtaposed around the dick-crazy comic book stereotype versions of the "strong" women, which is really off-putting in most situations but especially at Camp Rape.

It seems to have tapered off in the mid-game but maybe it's because in contrast people "just asking" why a female character hasn't been raped yet seems better than directly threatening.

Overall, a pretty tone-deaf decision and a missed opportunity. Also worth highlighting (which a couple of these pieces have noted) is the weird relationship to Harley that the hero (and Robin, if you got the comic) have, where the documentation keeps stating again and again how capable she is but it's straight up woman-punching with no direct threat, which diminishes his no-killing thing into more of a weird fetish or phobia than an actual moral virtue.

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by Spect View Post
    You probably should wait until you have all gadgets. Well, except 1 that doesn't factor into trophy hunting at all, but I won't mention that one here, since it probably is a spoiler.

The cool thing is you can "tag" trophies you come across to add them to your map for later. I pretty much only collected the ones I knew I could grab right away and left the hunting for when I finished the main story.
    I would disagree. The trophies are worth decent experience, so get what you can when you can. I'd say 50% of them (at least) are available right away.

One note - riddles themselves aren't available until a certain side mission, so don't bother trying to find them.

Social Worker
    Has anyone managed to pull off the Blade Takedown yet? I'm still struggling with that particular move since the blade dodge itself is kinda outside the usual muscle memory pattern I've established playing this and AA.

Also, a Riddler Spoiler thing.

Spoiler: Riddler Spoiler thing
    One of the riddles at the Iceberg Lounge is about protecting yourself while it's raining bullets. I know it's penguin's umbrella, but I can't seem to find it at all. Anyone else did?

Also

Spoiler: Area question
    Is there a way to get back into the Steel Mill?