Thread: Batman: Arkham City

Administrator New Romantic Jason McMaster's Avatar
    can't wait!

How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by Houngan View Post
    I have to say that Batman is doing it right by re-doing the good things plus a bit, whereas apparently BF3 is trying to be an also-ran to their competitor and pissing off their fans.
    I will say that BF3's multiplayer really should not be judged by the admittedly awful beta.

How To Go
    I've been hearing some really great impressions about the latest version of BF3, but this isn't really the thread for that.

Goodluck!!

Dark Soulus interruptus

Local stores appear to have broken street-date for this. The lack of a manual is slightly worrying, but apparently normal for the regular edition. Downloading the Catwoman DLC now.

Mad Chester
    Quote Originally Posted by Royal Fool View Post
    Today, Game Informer is saying that GameStop will be giving away these codes with every used copy of Arkham City.
    Why would the publisher allow that? I thought the entire idea of freeLC was to discourage 2nd hand sales.

How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by Sander 001 View Post
    Why would the publisher allow that? I thought the entire idea of freeLC was to discourage 2nd hand sales.
    I'm assuming Gamestop is paying for them. Getting $2-5 a pop out of expected used sales is better than nothing. And Gamestop is still seeing a huge markup even after adding that to their cost. Interesting experiment, really.

Neo Acoustic
    Perth, Western Australia. Steam ID: Talorc
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Grenz View Post
    I'm assuming Gamestop is paying for them. Getting $2-5 a pop out of expected used sales is better than nothing. And Gamestop is still seeing a huge markup even after adding that to their cost. Interesting experiment, really.
    Yes, very interesting essentially means the publisher gets a cut out of every used sale. Could represent a bit of a detente between publishers and GameStop on this issue. Ultimately the publishers could go the nuclear option on used sales and make like 95% of the game a one time use DLC, rendering a used sale a free to play demo. This might strike a happy balance.

How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by Talorc View Post
    Ultimately the publishers could go the nuclear option on used sales and make like 95% of the game a one time use DLC, rendering a used sale a free to play demo. This might strike a happy balance.
    Judging by the reactions people have to just the one-time use DLC that exists now, that would be the absolute furthest thing from a "happy balance."

This isn't detente so much as Gamestop trying to figure out a way to make people buy used games at their stores rather than the numerous other chains that have started doing pre-owned sales.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKeil View Post
    The style and tone is definitely intact. It's essentially Arkham Asylum with an Assassin's Creed overworld.
    If I weren't already sold on this game, this sentence would be the clincher for me. Awesome.

Spinning Toe
    Should have this w/in the hour.

Wasn't planning to go pick it up at midnight, but I'm up, not so much with the tired, so what the hell. Don't know if I'll play it tonight, but will have it for first thing AM.

Spinning Toe
    I too am heading over to a Midnight launch to pick this up. I don't do it often, but I really can't wait to get lost in this game.

Spinning Toe
    These 9-10 hours of work are going to go by incredibly slow. Should have called in "sick".

New Romantic
    And in a weird turn, I think that I'm not getting release day delivery for some reason. Amazon has really got to implement some kind of Always Make These Blanket Shipping Choices stuff. I mean, DCBS has it. AND you can open and update your orders.

Which is okay. As excellent as the game sounds, I think maybe I'm going to wait until November, first because I have to be out of town and essentially away from the game for a weekend before then and second because that way the FAQ writers can get ahead of me with the Riddler stuff so that I don't have to spend a day and a half lining up an invisible question mark from the wrong ledge. Plus, you know, Dark Souls refuses to let me stop playing it, so maybe the weekend off games will help break me out.

Weird, Amazon gave me release day delivery, it should be here by 1pm. And I already got the email for the $10 future game credit.

PS3 users , make sure to update! I turned on my PS3 after 2 weeks of no use and there was another update, lol.

Also the PS3 version is said to have a 1.6 GB mandatory install.

I will soon be BATMAN again! ;)

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by lordkosc View Post
    Weird, Amazon gave me release day delivery, it should be here by 1pm. And I already got the email for the $10 future game credit.
    I preordered it a long, long, long time ago. Around the time the Drizzt board game went up. I think that, at the time, they hadn't flipped on the switch for release date. I also don't think I'll be getting that ten dollar credit because it's not technically a price change.

There are some things about Amazon that suck sometimes.

You can email them about the $10, they will give it to you.

World's End Supernova
    Are console game release days always this boring outside of Modern Warfare and Halo? I know waiting for Amazon delivery kills it for most people, but I expected some impressions by now!

...so that I can hate you all.

Spinning Toe
    This usually means that everyone is still playing it or asleep after playing it all night. It is a good sign that the game is as good as the critics say it is. Giant Bomb is doing a quick look at 10am.

How To Go
    Time zone: PDT / BattleTag: RepoMan#1825 / XBLA: Rodeolio / Steam: RepoManFTW
    Wow, I don't think I have ever seen such a dearth of pre-sleep midnight-buyer posts.

World's End Supernova
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011...lease-date-pc/

Well it's November 15th in the US. That's 4 weeks away. It could've been worse I guess.

That gives me time to finish The Witcher 2 and get all the way through Space Marine (with a little multiplayer). Both games bring a lot of charm and some unique things to their combat systems, but I doubt I'll want to go back anytime soon after Batman's high-flying, polished mechanics.

Of course there's also Battlefield 3 and Skyrim. I should be able to play those in parallel.

New Romantic
    Alternately, if you want to feel good about not being able to play it, Griffin McElroy offsets his glowing written review by taking a big runny dump all over the things the game allegedly doesn't do so good in the latest Joystiq Show. Like how apparently all the dialog boils down to Batman punching all the evil. Or something.

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim James View Post
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011...lease-date-pc/

Well it's November 15th in the US. That's 4 weeks away. It could've been worse I guess.

That gives me time to finish The Witcher 2 and get all the way through Space Marine (with a little multiplayer). Both games bring a lot of charm and some unique things to their combat systems, but I doubt I'll want to go back anytime soon after Batman's high-flying, polished mechanics.

Of course there's also Battlefield 3 and Skyrim. I should be able to play those in parallel.
    I'm out of town next week so I guess that makes it 3 weeks for me. Not too bad, but still disappointing.

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Seiler View Post
    Alternately, if you want to feel good about not being able to play it, Griffin McElroy offsets his glowing written review by taking a big runny dump all over the things the game allegedly doesn't do so good in the latest Joystiq Show. Like how apparently all the dialog boils down to Batman punching all the evil. Or something.
    Who cares? If Batman is talking, that's taking valuable time away from me making fist shaped impressions in thugs faces.

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrenM View Post
    I'm out of town next week so I guess that makes it 3 weeks for me.
    We all have our own strange ways to rationalize things!

World's End Supernova
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim James View Post
    We all have our own strange ways to rationalize things!
    I'm doing whatever I can to deaden the pain. :) I really want this on PC as I played the first Batman on both and I really preferred the higher res graphics to be honest...

Neo Acoustic
    Just got the game delivered from Amazon. Now, off to class for several hours and probably grading for the rest of the night. If I shirk my duties, I may get a few minutes in!

Account closed Mad Chester
    I don't give a shit about Batman. Is this game good enough to stand on its own without any sense of fandom?

How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by James Johnson View Post
    I don't give a shit about Batman. Is this game good enough to stand on its own without any sense of fandom?
    The first was.

Kansas City, MO, Gamertag: Rock8mnky, PSN: Rock8man
    Quote Originally Posted by James Johnson View Post
    The first one was. I don't give a shit about Batman either (well, I did love Dark Knight, the movie, but this game has nothing to do with that). But I really enjoyed the Arkham Asylum.

Spinning Toe
    Quote Originally Posted by forgeforsaken View Post
    The first was.
    Yeah don't really care about Batman either way, but the first game was a very pleasant surprise.