Thread: Saints Row 3

New Romantic
    Rapid firing dual explosive pistols at their chest is still better unless it is very close range.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Murbella View Post
    Rapid firing dual explosive pistols at their chest is still better unless it is very close range.
    The fully upgraded shotgun absolutely murders vehicles and clusters of enemies during big fights, more efficiently than the explosive pistols. Also I think you're underestimating rifles, especially the one with zoom capability.

Really, eventually it all becomes stylistic preference. When fully upgraded all the weapons become ridiculously powerful.

Pillow Talk
    The fire SMGs are way, way better than you're giving them credit for. They are functionally an one-hit kill against low/mid level enemies, and between their enormous ammo capacity and that on-fire people can't shoot and will wander around catching other people on fire they are easily the best weapon for dealing with any group larger than like 3.

They also set riot shield guys on fire.

The problem with it just being stylistic preference(in that lvl 4 of any weapon is absurdly powerful) is that you can get level 4 Shepard's after only a few hours of playtime. So then it's 10 hours of using the same gun, finding new ones and being "meh". Reminds me of Fable 3's godawful weapon system.
    Last edited by Popeye; 11-24-2011 at 10:49 PM.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Popeye View Post
    The problem with it just being stylistic preference(in that lvl 4 of any weapon is absurdly powerful) is that you can get level 4 Shepard's after only a few hours of playtime. So then it's 10 hours of using the same gun, finding new ones and being "meh". Reminds me of Fable 3's godawful weapon system.
    That argument makes no sense. The whole point is, you pick the one you like the sound/look of the most, because they'll all work fine for most tasks. There's just enough tactical difference that occasionally you'll really want to switch to a specific weapon, but in general just go with what's fun for you.

Account closed Mad Chester
    No, it makes perfect sense. The overall best weapon for most of the game can be obtained in the first couple hours. It's silly, considering how easy the game is anyway.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by James Johnson View Post
    No, it makes perfect sense. The overall best weapon for most of the game can be obtained in the first couple hours. It's silly, considering how easy the game is anyway.
    I died a lot personally during early game. I would go shoot a few people, that would cause more to show up and that would cause more to show up...

Eventually the brutes with miniguns and flame throwers would show up and i would die. Often enough i would die just from sheer numbers because i could never get away before they destroyed the car i wanted to use.

Then after that i learned to use my gang members more effectively as well as to reset notoriety in owned shops when things turned to shit. Speaking of that, it almost seems like an exploit. I am (slowly) playing SR2 at the moment and it is much harder without the ability to easily reset notoriety on every corner.

Anyway, the game is somewhat not punishing enough that you can use any weapon, but if you use (for example) the armor piecing pistols instead of the explosive ones, you as a player need to be better by doing head shots more often because the weapons are less lethal. The same is true if you use armor piercing smg over fire smg.

Spoiler: Late game weapons spoiler

Am i the only one that found the STAG weapons really lackluster. Their vehicles are great obviously, but their personal weapons are worse than conventional weapons in my experience.

The laser rifle just seems like a less powerful rifle that doesn't need to reload. Once you have reload upgrades (by the time i got the laser rifle i had 2-3 of them making reloading rifle VERY fast), the no reload thing is almost no benefit. Laser rifle seems to do almost no damage against stag unless you head shot them.

Stag shotgun seems very similar to the auto shotgun but worse. It reheats way too fast from sustained firing and the damage didn't seem better than other shotguns.

How To Go
    I found SR2 much easier because notoriety goes up way, way slower (it wasn't easy to deliberately collect a 5 star wanted level, whereas I swear I'm at five stars without asking for it every other fight in SR3) and decays quicker (even without the decay speed perks you can unlock), plus the response is more proportionate. And there are actual Saints wandering around.

I know people have said they do this in Saints Row 3, but I can assure you they don't in my game. The only places I ever see them spawn are in missions because the mission wanted them there.

New Romantic
    With high control and owning every property, i saw a lot of them around late game. I am pretty sure both things affect them being around but not sure how exactly. They tend to hang out around shops you own and show up more frequently with higher control.

They also tend to help you out more if you own the area I THINK. Early game i got no help in large battles, but late game whenever i was in some long heated battle, help would arrive soon after.

How To Go
    I own 60+ percent of at least one island and most of the shops throughout Steelport. There are no spawned Saints. I'm not saying this is how the game is designed, just that there may be a bug. I do see them show up in those survival wave activities, but that appears to be a function of the activity, not anything to do with territory, since it happened in the very first one I did, almost immediately on arriving in Steelport.

Hustle
    The overall percentage is irrelevant. Your want to look at the individual sub-sections of the map.

Spoiler: map

If you have bought all the buildings, done all the activities, and disrupted all the gang operations in a neighborhood it will be completely purple on the map and the saints will patrol it.

Spoiler: patrolling saints

Account closed New Romantic
    I'm about halfway through the game now, and I'm really disappointed. It's a huge step back from SR2 made up of a lot of small changes. The biggest things that bug me are the move toward a more linear game, and the game world being largely lifeless and uninteresting.

Linearity:

In SR2, you could do the missions for each of the gangs in whatever order you wanted. Likewise the chop shop and assassination activities were unscripted. You had a list of cars, you had to collect those cars, if you had trouble finding one you could flag it on the map but that was a help, not a hindrance. In SR3, the chop shop is a scripted fetch mission. Turn it on, it tells you to go to a place and get the car. It doesn't matter whether you've already driven that car a dozen times or even if you are in that fucking car right now, you still have to drive to the area for it to allow you to drop the car at the chop shop.

Similarly, the activities are much more linear and scripted. Not only are they locked behind story missions, but the activities themselves are more linear. In SR2 when you did Snatch, you had a certain number of hos to pick up before time expired but beyond that you could do it however you wanted. You could even take homies with you, and they would be replaced by hos as you went along. In SR3, you get directed to a spot where you do something, whether it's killing guards or chasing down a vehicle, then you are directed back to the drop point. You cannot deviate from this. Once you have picked up one ho, the only icon on your map is the drop point. You do not have the choice to go to another spot and pick up more.

The story missions themselves are almost completely linear, and the missions have a very GTA4 feel to them. What I mean by that is, in SR2 the game used cutscenes to gloss over the boring parts and warp you into the action. GTA4 and SR3 force you to do all the boring driving to get to a certain spot so that a cutscene will play. Sometimes the cutscene is the entire "mission". Instead of being gameplay focused, the game is more story focused to the detriment of the gameplay.

The lifeless city:

In SR2, there were all sorts of whacky things that you would come across just driving around town. Drunk drivers, other people flashing, cheer leaders doing cheers, and most notably when your character would sing along with the radio. All of that has been taken out, and I have to think it was an intentional decision to make sure players wouldn't "miss" anything, because of the way they put the "singing along with the radio" into a scripted mission. But by doing that, they took all of the life out of the game.

Stillwater felt like a living city filled with people doing their own thing, unrelated to what you're doing. Steelport feels like a diarama filled with automatons whose only purpose is to react to what you do, or to run through scripted sequences when you're around. You never stumble upon anything interesting in Steelport. Every once in a while I see cops standing around what looks like the scene of an accident, so one time I got out to listen in on what I assumed would be a funny conversation. There was nothing. It was a static tableau, designed to be viewed while driving past.

Similarly, the "gang operations" that replaced stronghold takeovers are ridiculous in how empty they are. In SR2, you took your homies on a room-to-room sweep of an actual gang stronghold. From the name "gang operation" you might expect to be invading a meth lab or a gambling den or a money laundering operation, but what you get are about a dozen gang members in a parking lot who literally stand like statues until you drive inside their trigger radius.

They've also removed all of the random distractions that started when you entered a certain type of vehicle. I'm not saying driving a taxi or doing towtruck missions was the greatest thing ever, but it can be a fun way to spend a little time between other things.

Overall, the game just feels like they stripped out a lot from SR2 and didn't add much of anything to replace it. There is less to do, and what there is is more limited. It's still a fun game, and if you didn't play SR2 I can see loving it. However, as a huge fan of the second game I can't help feeling disappointed. Instead of making the game even more of what the first two were, they instead went down the Rockstar route of focusing on story and scripting and limiting player actions.

^ this.

DotY for me by a large margin. Granted, I dodged the SOTS2 trainwreck and never tried HOMM6.

New Romantic
    How far through the game's story missions am I when...

Spoiler: shhhhhhhhhhh
    S.T.A.G. show up?

Social Worker
    Halfway, maybe?

Pillow Talk
    Yeah, a little after halfway I'd guess.

I was so madly in love with the game while I was playing it, but wow the aftertaste is bitter on this one. Like, reading this thread makes me want to replay SR2 because people keep mentioning cool shit that was in it that I had forgotten about.

Nobody is going to forget the cool shit in SR3, because all of the cool shit is in the same linear-accessed-from-cellphone quest line. You can't miss it.

I honestly don't remember very many of the main missions from SR2(they blend together with SR1 and GTA4), but I do remember just enjoying the shit out of doing my own thing in that game. Like, wow, they did an AMAZING job with the missions in this game. AMAZING. I just don't know why they had to strip out so many things from SR2 to make those missions so great, a straight port of everything except the main plot missions would've improved this game immeasurably.

Spoiler: One nitty thing about a VERY SERIOUS LATEGAME SPOILER

How come you only need wear a mask on zombie island during the mission? You can go there at other times without one.

Neo Acoustic
    I was so madly in love with the game while I was playing it, but wow the aftertaste is bitter on this one.
    My exact thoughts. My relationship with this game is bizarre. I really was having fun while playing it, but looking back almost every post I've made has been complaining about something that bugged me, or questioning a design decision, or whatever. I play it and enjoy it, but when I'm not playing it I wonder why I did. Maybe it's just a sign I should relax and not be so uptight about it, but it's only because it's the sequel to such a masterpiece of design that these concerns come up for me at all.

Spoiler: One nitty thing about a VERY SERIOUS LATEGAME SPOILER

How come you only need wear a mask on zombie island during the mission? You can go there at other times without one.
    Spoiler: Explanation
    Presumably it's because you've successfully pushed all of the gas tanks into the water and neutralized the gas. It's just that the island doesn't actually visually update to match this, since there's still a huge plume of green gas hanging over it at all times.
    Last edited by Dufresne; 11-25-2011 at 08:11 PM.

Spinning Toe
    Honestly who doesn't play a game going "Man I wish this part was like THIS!"?
    It's still fun as fuck and does suffer when you compare it to SR2 but I'd be complaining like a motherfuck if this was just SR2.5. Instead it's almost like a new game.

The best ideas from this thread: turning off and on the perks
    CAPES
    Replaying the missions
    CAPES
    Customize the bigger pieces
    CREPES
    More missions
    CAPES**
    Edit: Also a way to hijack flying things in the air. Can you imagine bailing ut of a plane to steal another plane? I'd never stop playing

**a point or body of land extending into a body of water, usually the sea. A cape usually represents a marked change in trend of the coastline. Their proximity to the coastline makes them prone to natural forms of erosion, mainly tidal actions. This results in capes having a relatively short geologic lifespan. Capes can be formed by glaciers, volcanoes, and changes in sea level. Erosion plays a large role in each of these methods of formation. [citation needed]

Neo Acoustic
    Quote Originally Posted by Valentine View Post
    Edit: Also a way to hijack flying things in the air. Can you imagine bailing ut of a plane to steal another plane? I'd never stop playing
    Unless you are playing Just Cause 2 at this very moment, I call shenanigans on this claim.

Spinning Toe
    Just a few things I noticed: If you stand around your character has a line: "My cousin hasn't called me in months. Thank god."
    The only thing pay phones are used for is people to lean against while using their cell.
    The more muscley your character the smaller his..."sex appeal" no matter what you do with the slider.
    Unless you are playing Just Cause 2 at this very moment, I call shenanigans on this claim.
    See, I thought JC2 was a good game but far too empty and slow for sandbox fun. It just rubbed me the wrong way after the fun of tying a car to a plane as it takes off then getting in the car wore off.

Pillow Talk
    Duf- The same nittery is true before the mission you mention. It's obviously that they didn't want to model that and/or introduce like an insta-death zone for unsuspecting players, but the inconsistency grates.

Valentine- In many, many ways SR2 was just SR1.5. Same city, same mechanics, just a lot of new content in a longer more involved main plot and more activities/diversions/clothes/weapons/etc. I still loved it. Volition took a pretty decent GTA clone and made all the good parts better.

SR3 started with an EXCELLENT GTA clone and radically changed it into something more around the lines of Mafia or Red Dead Redemption, where the sandbox is just the level selection screen for the actual gameplay: elaborate action setpieces that happen to be set in the same sandbox. They took features out.

And don't get me wrong, streamlining can work. Both the Fallout and Elder Scrolls series have consolidated/removed skills/characteristics from previous games, and IMO to the benefit of the series. But SR3 maybe took it a bit too far.

Like, people loved unlocking new shit. So in SR2, they made damn near everything you do unlock things. But that was nearly entirely undocumented in the game, and lots of people would go the whole game without seeing that they even had the possibility to acquire those things.

Makes sense. Throw it all in a single consolidated respect/money RPG-lite system... and suddenly it's kinda pointless. Now instead of getting those things as a reward for specific actions, they are just options I have, and when you put it that way I don't really need them. It's tough to put this clearly, but it's just missing some of the soul of previous games. There aren't even like skill trees, you can see everything from the menu and so you skip around to build the same dual-wielding gunslinging badass as everyone else.

Neo Acoustic
    Perth, Western Australia. Steam ID: Talorc
    Well as a person who never played SR2 (other than 20 minutes to get frustrated at the god awful driving controls on PC), I am super enjoying SR3.

I like the roller-coaster ride of the main missions (and the goodies that get thrown in along the way). But then I also like you can step off the roller coaster and there is a decent amount of stuff to do around steelport to just hang - several flavours of side mission, set a free form goal (wouldn't it be nice if I had a tank in my garage...) or even just start a huge fire-fight.

The fact that your notoriety quickly escalates is great - you want a massive free for all fire-fight ASAP. Notoriety is so quickly and easily gained or dumped it really is a "Do you want a giant fire-fight right now? Y/N?" system.

Plus they all turn up with a free incendiary device (their car) which is readily exploded to kill most of the gang members that just arrived.

All the side missions don't really unlock stuff (other than cosmetics - I finished tank mayhem and could then stick guardsmen in the Saints) - but that is not the point. Side missions are not some chore you have to grind through to unlock better/more stuff or a progression gate on the main mission - they are just stuff to do in the world because they are fun! If you don't like a side mission, just don't play it.

Spoiler: mission spoiler
    I mean SERIOUSLY I just played a mission dressed up as a ridiculous comic book character so that my sidekick (dressed as a nun, voiced by an IRL p0rn star) and I could break into a heavily fortified base to kidnap another comic book character. TOO MUCH FUN

Meanwhile, the dress up my little murderous thug mini game is going well. Love the voice acting on the main female character so far.

Steam Pics

New Romantic
    So do I just have bad luck or is Olef pretty much useless to call in for backup? Every single time I've used him to help out, he's ended up yelling "What treachery is this?" and started killing me. I've never fired directly at him, so I assume he's wandering into something I've set on fire and it's being seen as me hurting him. He does continue fighting gang members so long as I keep my distance, but as soon as I'm the only target around, he'll start flinging trashcans and running at me.

The whole time I still have the friendly green X when I target him, so I have no idea what's going on. And near as I can tell, it's impossible (or at least extremely difficult) for me to kill him. I unloaded all my ammo into him last night and he kept coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentine View Post
    Honestly who doesn't play a game going "Man I wish this part was like THIS!"?
    It's still fun as fuck and does suffer when you compare it to SR2 but I'd be complaining like a motherfuck if this was just SR2.5. Instead it's almost like a new game.
    Yeah, but I and apparently plenty of other people wanted and expected Saint's Row 3, not a Saint's Row: Lasers, Zombies, and VTOLs mission pack.

This feels like a expansion to a base game that was never made. It's like RDR: Undead Nightmare -- stupid, silly, over-the-top, fun, but dropped in this empty, repetitive, and ultimately unnecessary open world. You can forgive Undead Nightmare for this because there's a "real" game tied to it, but it's harder to forgive a $60 game for it, especially when it comes from such a strong pedigree.

New Romantic
    Finished last night, though I wasn't quite up to replaying the last mission to get the other ending. Overall, no forgiveness needed from me at all.

My biggest complaints with the main mission stream (aside from jamming all the side activity intro missions into them as a speedbump, of course) were all the incidences of saddling you with deeply stupid allies that needed to be revived or you would fail the mission. Worst offenders...
    Spoiler: revival rage

Angel's rescue was very rageface inspiring for me. He had an almost preternatural knack for standing directly in front of the chaingun brute, and reviving him in that position was a roll of the dice as to whether you could actually get him to his feet before being killed yourself from the crossfire. Particularly maddening at the time because I didn't have any revive speed upgrades at that point in my game.

There were a few similar incidents with Pierce in the final mission, but not to the same degree, primarily because I was up to Revive 3 then.

It does seem to me they could have balanced the existing unlock and upgrade system with side stuff that would still keep the sides optional, but more rewarding, but I'm not too bent out of shape about it.

I'm likely to play through again to see the alternate choices of missions before the final one, and also agree it's just bizarre they didn't offer the replay option post-game for more than the last mission. Quibbles aside, though, it was very entertaining.

New Romantic

So most of you are playing as female characters with giant guns? ;)

New Romantic
    The flak jacket does... enhance certain elements.

Spinning Toe
    I'm playing as Bargain Basement Skeletor.
    They FINALLY give an option for light blue skin and the Barbarian costume is gone :(

I'm playing as a dude. I roll female characters in a lot of games, but I started making a guy in this one and never questioned it.

Battle Dancer How To Go Wholly Schmidt's Avatar
    I was planning on trying a few more character ideas as I played, but it's such a hassle to upload and download your characters to "save" them that I'm just sticking with my Sterling Archer.