Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 3x3: movie lines that should be famous

How To Go

"Hostacle fifer!!!"

Nope. It's most definitely "Natafinga!" or "Notafinga!" depending on your pronunciation preference. It's nonsense, like all the rest of the cursing he does.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKeil View Post
    Nope. It's most definitely "Natafinga!" or "Notafinga!" depending on your pronunciation preference. It's nonsense, like all the rest of the cursing he does.
    I loved how his cursing is always nonsense! And then later in the movie when Ralphie beats up Scott Farcus, the cursing coming out of his mouth is nonsense too ... as though he learned the nonsense from his pop.

- Nick

"Dumb, frattin', housesnickle viper!"

Quote Originally Posted by ElGuapo View Post
    That's one of my favorite lines from any movie, ever. The setup, timing, and delivery are just perfect. Condenses his whole character into one line, right there in the middle of the street.
    That line slayed me. It sketched so many details about that character in three words. I imagined him keeping a checklist of radical events he wanted to experience, and now "Survive a flipped car crash" one was complete.

A short time later I encountered it in relation to Nascar, and got the impression it was in common circulation in that scene. That took something out of it for me. I'd love to discover I'm wrong about that, though.

Hustle
    Not sure how famous it is but after a recent 3x3 i re-watched this movie. After line, after line of stilted dialogue and general awkwardness Samuel Jackson finally pulls out this line:

"You think water moves fast? You should see ice!"

The line that follows is also pretty good.

"It moves like it has a mind. Like it knows it killed the world once and got a taste for murder!"

Yep still talking about ice...he sells that line so well though.
    The movie is, of course, Deep blue sea.

How To Go
    I'm going to add
    "I have a doubt" from The Fifth Element as my second.
    So now that and "Hey, these things happen." from Needful Things.

Now I just need a third.

World's End Supernova
    "What are you lookin' at, Peckerwood?"

--Back to the Future

"Dunlop, you suck cock."

*smiles*
    "All I can get."

--Slap Shot

"Little Tommy Daggett. How I loved listening to your sweet prayers every night. And then you'd jump in your bed, so afraid I was under there. And I was!"

--The Prophecy

Account closed How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dungsroman View Post

"Little Tommy Daggett. How I loved listening to your sweet prayers every night. And then you'd jump in your bed, so afraid I was under there. And I was!"

--The Prophecy
    Oh yes! That is a great line.

How To Go
    Do quotes that are too generic to really be recognized as quotes but you still quote regularly count? For instance, every time someone asks me if I'm sure about something and I say, "Pretty sure," I'm quoting Indiana Jones in Last Crusade down to the inflection.
    90% of the time I say "asshole", I'm quoting Otto in A Fish Called Wanda.

Asshoooole!

Quote Originally Posted by Zylon View Post
    90% of the time I say "asshole", I'm quoting Otto in A Fish Called Wanda.

Asshoooole!
    Ha ha, I do the same thing!

Dingus Social Worker Christien Murawski's Avatar
    "Don't call me stupid."

Hey. What a nifty little site!

-xtien

Spinning Toe
    My favorite, from White Men Can't Jump:

“Sometimes when you win, you really lose; and sometimes when you lose, you really win; and sometimes when you win or lose, you actually tie; and sometimes when you tie, you actually win or lose. Winning or losing is all one organic mechanism, from which one extracts what one needs.” Gloria Clemente (Rosie Perez) .

Social Worker
    Fool's Gold is a horrible, horrible Matthew McConaughey vehicle, but this one exchange between the lead's nemesis and the lead's sidekick is golden:

Moe Fitch: Well, well, well. If it isn't the Ukrainian sidekick.
    Alfonz: I don't think of myself that way. I am the lead character in my own story.

Account closed Social Worker
    There's a bit in 'Short Circuit' were Steve Guttenberg tells one f his colleagues that they don't call them choppers any more, they call them hueys(!). 'Why wasn't I notified!' replies the colleague. I trot that out whenever anyone tells me anything I didn't know.

"Unguent. I need unguent."

Broad Band
    "On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone else around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when add up all those inches, that's gonna make the fucking difference between winning and losing." - A great monologue from a mediocre movie, Any given Sunday

"You two are the dumbest bounty hunters I have ever seen! You couldn't even deliver a bottle of milk!" - Midnight Run

"Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn." - My brother and I spout this to each other when one of us needs advice and the other has none to give.

Spinning Toe
    Occasion: while tentatively putting hand on some freshly barbecued meat by-product your father-in-law-elect just handed you on a plate at a family function where you're the youngest person present.

Line: "It's afraid....IT'S AFRAID!!!!"

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Wand View Post
    Occasion: while tentatively putting hand on some freshly barbecued meat by-product your father-in-law-elect just handed you on a plate at a family function where you're the youngest person present.

Line: "It's afraid....IT'S AFRAID!!!!"
    And if anyone in that family gets the reference, don't delay the wedding any longer: marry that girl now.

6th Grade Spelling Bee Loser World's End Supernova Rimbo's Avatar
    "I was attacked by a coked-up whore and a fucking crazy dentist!"

I just remembered an exchange that never fails to crack me up. It's from Casablanca, and while that's a movie whose cup overflows with quotes famous and otherwise, still has this beauty that I never hear mentioned. It's about a German couple who tell Rick's bartender that in honor of their imminent departure to America have decided to only speak English. They demonstrate with this conversation to ask the time:

Mr. - Sweetnessheart, what watch?
    Mrs. <checking the watch> - Ten watch.
    Mr. <with slight dismay> - Such much?

And the bartender mutters something to the effect that they will get along beautifully. This conversation never fails to crack me up and I laugh now just remembering it.

Shawn of the Dead was made for a thread like this

• Come and get it! It's a running buffet!
    • Who died and made you fucking king of the zombies?
    • Okay. But dogs CAN look up!
    • Just look at the face: it's vacant, with a hint of sadness. Like a drunk who's lost a bet.
    • It's been a funny sort of day, hasn't it?
    • Can I get... any of you cunts... a drink?
    • You know, I don't think I've got it in me to shoot my flatmate, my mum, and my girlfriend all in the same night

How To Go
    From the theatrical cut of Battlefield Earth (sadly removed from the DVD release):

"As a friend...I could forget to file the report. But, unfortunately... I'm Not YOUR FRIEND!"

The delivery really sells it.

Dingus Social Worker Christien Murawski's Avatar
    Do quotes that are too generic to really be recognized as quotes but you still quote regularly count? For instance, every time someone asks me if I'm sure about something and I say, "Pretty sure," I'm quoting Indiana Jones in Last Crusade down to the inflection.
    I was reminded of this again tonight while I was doing dishes. My mother-in-law is visiting, and she walked into the kitchen and asked, "Is there anything I can do?"

Anytime anyone asks me this question lower my voice and respond, almost without thinking,

"I don't know. Is there anything you can do?"

My family rarely knows what the hell to do with me. And nobody every offers to drive that loader.

-xtien

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by XtienMurawski View Post
    I was reminded of this again tonight while I was doing dishes. My mother-in-law is visiting, and she walked into the kitchen and asked, "Is there anything I can do?"

Anytime anyone asks me this question lower my voice and respond, almost without thinking,

"I don't know. Is there anything you can do?"

My family rarely knows what the hell to do with me. And nobody every offers to drive that loader.

-xtien
    The ratio of quotable dialog to total dialog in that movie is like 1 to 3.

"Yeah man, but it's a dry heat!"

World's End Supernova
    I posted a while back that one of the reasons Aliens is so great is that every character has at least one great line. I turned out to be wrong (one character, Weirzbowski I think, is scripted to have a great line, but it ends up being said by someone else and in the end he has no lines except to die screaming) but I'm still pretty damn close.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahimiron View Post
    I posted a while back that one of the reasons Aliens is so great is that every character has at least one great line. I turned out to be wrong (one character, Weirzbowski I think, is scripted to have a great line, but it ends up being said by someone else and in the end he has no lines except to die screaming) but I'm still pretty damn close.
    And not only are the lines great, but they develop the characters, they further the plot, and even the funny lines help build the tension.

That script is a masterpiece.

How To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by sinnick View Post
    The ratio of quotable dialog to total dialog in that movie is like 1 to 3.

"Yeah man, but it's a dry heat!"
    Possibly second only to Predator, which I believe is the only movie ever made whose every line is quotable.

Look in your heart! Look in your heart!

-- Bernie, Miller's Crossing

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahimiron View Post
    it was a pretty good scream though.

Wierzbowski: AHHHhhhh-aaaaHHHahhaaah-

Hicks: Wierzbowski! Wierzbowski!

Wierzbowski: -aaaaHHHahhaaahh-{monitor cuts out, flatlines}

Social Worker
    "I don't want to meet someone who shares my interests. I hate my interests."
    - Steve Buscemi, Ghost World

New Romantic
    Blade 2
    "you're human?" - "Barely, I'm a lawyer".

" Who do you think God really favors in the web? The spider, or the fly?"

Yeah, really really like the movie.