Thread: World Of Tanks

New Romantic
    It's unfortunate that they've done this to the Tiger I; it was brutally effective in combat, with a loss ratio of about 6 allied vehicles per Tiger. Its problems were mechanical reliability and cost, not catching fire and exploding in combat.

- Gus

New Romantic
    XLive: Qorgyle; PS3: Comfy_Pants; Loc: Portland OR
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad View Post
    It's unfortunate that they've done this to the Tiger I; it was brutally effective in combat, with a loss ratio of about 6 allied vehicles per Tiger. Its problems were mechanical reliability and cost, not catching fire and exploding in combat.

- Gus
    Erm, you don't think this is how they chose to portray that problem in 15 minute battle rounds? Just a thought. :)

New Romantic
    Not really. If they were going to show it - which seems pretty much beyond the scope of the game - it would be in a much higher chance of getting a mobility kill, not an explosion.

New Romantic
    I doubt it since I haven't seen the poor quality russian steel cause outright armor failures.

Spinning Toe
    Or seen Ferdinands catching on fire while trying to climb a hill.

you say that as if its a bad thing. patch is about to hit the west, if it isnt in progress already.

Hustle
    I started playing this yesterday and now the server is down. Bah. I really enjoyed the tank destroyer role, my AT-1 with the most damaging gun could 1 shot the tier 1 tanks and generally 2 shot any othe recruit tank. Didn't try out the PanzerJager though, so not sure which nationality to go for after the wipe. Is there much difference between the German and USSR TD lines, particularly at the lower tiers?

Social Worker
    Yeah looks like the servers are updating right now, guess ill skip everything and go fast into the Panther line heh.

And damm you Thesper i was looking for this thread in other pages when you bumped it and i couldnt find it anywhere.

New Romantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Thesper View Post
    I started playing this yesterday and now the server is down. Bah. I really enjoyed the tank destroyer role, my AT-1 with the most damaging gun could 1 shot the tier 1 tanks and generally 2 shot any othe recruit tank. Didn't try out the PanzerJager though, so not sure which nationality to go for after the wipe. Is there much difference between the German and USSR TD lines, particularly at the lower tiers?
    The russian TD's tend to be less armored with bigger guns. The german TD's tend to be a lot tougher with weaker guns, with the exception of the marder 2 which can mount a very powerful gun (for its tier) but has almost no armor at all.

Social Worker
    Quote Originally Posted by Thesper View Post
    IMO the german line is better. Marder II is especially good, Hetzer sucks pretty bad, but Stug is all kinds of awesome.

I finally installed the US version yesterday and was surprised how different it was. IMO even the graphics look a bit worse (comparing to the much later russion version), performance will definitely improve, the UI is going to change for the better. Crew will be available as 50%/75/100 instead of the current 25/50/75. Crew management UI will be introduced, together with some perks they start to level up after they hit 100%. Minimaps will be much nicer and more readable.

IMO it's going to be a great update, should make people happy.

I was suprised to see such low numbers of players though. It's most likely due to the closed beta and all this server switching thing but having ~2500 peolpe online is not enough for the tier balancing logic to work properly, that's the number of people I see on the russian server at their 5am. :)

Social Worker
    There wasnt many people online yesterday, everyone is waiting for the update.

We already have the perks at level 100%, my crew had firefighting and repairs skills almost at 40-50% i think.

edit: looks like it's patching already, it's 377.9mb but it's going slooow.
    Last edited by MrCoffee; 09-02-2010 at 06:27 AM.

Mad Chester
    Yeah when the estimated time to patch is 999 minutes... it could be going slowly.

Spinning Toe
    I started off that way as well but the download quickly dropped off to just over an hour as of right now.

Social Worker
    ETA 15 minutes for me, only 50mb to go.

Spinning Toe
    Regarding Tank Destroyers, the German line is unquestionably better. Yes the Russian TDs have guns with more punch, but those guns are less accurate, have insanely expensive ammo and god awfully slow reload times. The German TDs are also significantly more durable and maneuverable. The StuG III for example can turn on a dime. And the JagdPanzer IV (what I'm driving right now) can take a huge amount of punishment.

In actual play, the domination of Russian TDs stops at the recruit battles and the AT-1 (which fully upgraded using HE ammo can one shot almost all things there).
    Marder II, StuG III, JgPz IV and the JagdPanther are way better than their Russian counterparts. Only the Hetzer is an embarrassment. Though still workable with the 105mm StuH gun using HE ammo (which is getting nerfed a little in the patch, IIRC).

On a personal note, the JgPz IV is a pleasure to drive. It's so low and flat that I had tanks 100m away unable to detect me in bushes. I installed the 88mm gun on it finally yesterday and proceeded to have an 8 kill game, my best ever. That gun, on that machine, is pure awesome.
    Last edited by Supper's Ready; 09-02-2010 at 08:27 AM.

New Romantic
    for what it's worth, the jagdpanzer 4 is fairly solid, but only takes a lot of punishment against players who use autoaim. Autoaim will target the most sloped area of the tank and most shots will bounce. If you manual aim just below the sloping you'll generally always do damage. I've tested this to a degree in game with my vk3601. I found it takes about 3 shots to kill a JgPz4 with manual aim and about 15 with autoaim, using the best 88 gun that tank can mount.

Social Worker
    I'm willing to tangle with other heavies but I loath, loath, loath dealing with German TDs. That low profile, the sloped armor, the heavy guns.

As a rule I retreat and find something a little spongier to sink my 88s into.

New Romantic
    My ETA was 500 minutes, got down to about 450, and is back to 500. Joy. I really envy people with 10-20 MB/S connections.

- Gus

Social Worker
    Finally finished and my antivirus almost crashed my computer trying to scan the files and i had to close it down, installing the patch now.

New Romantic
    I'm now agonizing over what to get, as I don't have nearly enough XP or credits to get all I wanted. I got a panther already so far.

Pillow Talk
    I hoped the update would fix the warping but it is still there.
    It is incredible annoying that you can not see a truckload of heavy tanks on open field only to have them popping up around you out of nowhere.

Social Worker
    Hah it's worse than before, i played some matches with 5 IS-3 per side.

New Romantic
    My last match had two IS-7 and three S-51 on each side. It was not fun to be a 'little' tiger 2

Spinning Toe
    How are you able to play right now? The launcher screen says they are still updating their server software. And attempting to log on (multiple times) results in a "server busy, please try again later" message.

Account closed How To Go
    The server was up, but now it's down again.

Spinning Toe
    That explains it. Thank you, Kalle.

Goodluck!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad View Post

- Gus
    The ranges are pretty close in this game, and at close ranges almost all not hopelessly obsolete tanks were virtually equal. Like in Western Europe.

New Romantic
    XLive: Qorgyle; PS3: Comfy_Pants; Loc: Portland OR
    They don't have a server status page, do they ... :/

Edit: oh. it's up. And I got all my XP and no tanks. Muwahahhaaha! Now, where to funnel it :) Let's see if I can shoot straight through to the T34-85...
    Last edited by Marcin; 09-02-2010 at 12:59 PM.

Goodluck!!
    Servers are up. And I'm wondering what the hell I should go for (in the long term, I can only get a T3 ATM). Are the german tank destroyers fun? Or should I just go and try to get to a VK3601?

Social Worker
    Well it all depends on what playstyle do you like, i prefer mobility so i went the Panther way (20k exp to go).

Btw the new maps are great, especially the bridge one.